Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

quote:

Update: still guarded and still hopeful. ED, her man and their 2 year old have visited each weekend since I posted. We told them from the git go that it’s unfortunate, but we will be on a trip with 2 other couples when the new baby comes. The trip has been planned since April and we’re all excited for a week of golf and adventure. When visiting yesterday her man asks us if we can postpone the trip so that we could watch their son whilst ED is in the hospital recovering from Csection. ED starts to get emotional after we tell them that there are reservation and other people counting on us. I hug ED after she starts crying and tell her she is more important than these other people we’re traveling with, but we just didn’t think we could back out. I told her that her dad and I would discuss it and let her know today. Though I was tempted to cancel, DH and I are united in knowing they could have shown up at our door more than 3 weeks ago, like on the little guys birthday or either of our birthdays or Christmas. I’m not talking just this year, how about last year? Well, as hard as it was, I let them know today that we were sorry, but our trip cannot be cancelled. BTW, they have a family member of his that has offered to watch him, they just wanted him to be with us and not with 5 other kids. Time will tell if they hold this against us and we’re once again just a pile of dog poo that’s stepped over and kicked to the curb.
I'm not sure who's the rear end in a top hat here but

same poster posted:

I hope this post does not drag on too much, but the history with my daughter is a little complex and rather personal. My whole extended family has supported me thru this ordeal, but I haven’t had it in me to tell the whole story. I do hope my ED and I can have the conversation, just her and I. She got pregnant just before her 15th birthday. For myself, a young woman growing up in the 1960’s and 70’s, abortion was a legal and quite frankly, permanent solution to a big problem. We suggested abortion to her. We didn’t think she was ready to be a mother. As my DH says, she couldn’t even keep her room clean. Ultimately it was her decision to abort, but in her letter to us, she felt like she didn’t have a choice. My beliefs have changed since then and I’d like her to know I am sorry for suggesting that choice. She struggled with anxiety and depression, even before that. On and off counseling, and diagnosis of Social Anxiety Disorder. Fast forward to almost 3 years ago. She was living under our roof, struggling with maintaining employment and then met the father of her children. We had finally encouraged her to see a psychiatrist. Anyways, our HOA does not allow non family members to live here. Strict over 55 community. We talked to both of them about him staying and why he couldn’t. They got mad. She became pregnant and didn’t or couldn’t tell us. They was a bit of a blowup one day when I just wanted to have a talk with her and he stood between us. I felt disrespected in my own home and told him to get the F out of my house. They both left and to maintain some sort of sanity told ED she had two weeks to find a place to live. Found out later of course, that she was pregnant. I’m guilty of a lot of things, but do not want to dwell on crap from the past. I think she felt I was too controlling before. Maybe I was. I just wanted her to grow up and be an adult. If this relationship is going anywhere we all need to find a way to trust. I just don’t know if she will be able to talk to me at some point and tell me face to face what she needs from me. It seems that I’ve dance around the right thing to say or do without it being taken the wrong way. I appreciate the chance to think outloud here and I super appreciate the support.

Oh.

lol if you posted:

man i wish this thread was full of funny stories
My mom died ten years ago this past Wednesday. Before she died, when palliative care started, she secretly got out of bed in the middle of the night to eat ice cream. #lifegoals (or I guess #deathgoals but whatever)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
My grandfather died when the Christmas tree fell on him.

He also used bleach in the pool instead of chlorine which is probably why my eyesight is so terrible.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

lol if you posted:

man i wish this thread was full of funny stories

i try to imagine my mom passing away and whether i'd have the courage to go visit her grave. i'll never forgive her but a part of me feels like if i could see her in the ground at least maybe i could tell her that our past is buried with her and i can try to move on. maybe even leave a flower, i dunno

When my dad dies I'll only visit his grave to piss on it, but really that's more effort than he deserves.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

My grandfather died when the Christmas tree fell on him.

He also used bleach in the pool instead of chlorine which is probably why my eyesight is so terrible.

I'm pretty sure this is valid entry to Valhalla. Or possibly being reborn as an elf and forced to make toys for all eternity.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

vortmax posted:

When my dad dies I'll only visit his grave to piss on it, but really that's more effort than he deserves.

Do cemeteries have people arrested for this kind of thing or is it just accepted as a part of the gig

Asking for a friend

Barudak
May 7, 2007

purple death ray posted:

Do cemeteries have people arrested for this kind of thing or is it just accepted as a part of the gig

Asking for a friend

I mean most cemeteries are lucky to have a regular grounds crew and what are the dead gonna do, rise up and chase you to a nearby farmhouse?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It might help to have a story to tell any nearby goths.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

tbh if you were walking along and saw someone pissing on a grave would you assume they didn't have a good reason???

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I'm anticipating the day my father finally kicks it because just seeing people who look like him gives me panic attacks. I did see him once since I cut him off in 1998 and I completely lost it. He beat the poo poo out of all of us when I was growing up and went to jail for it once. Knowing I don't have to worry about running into him anymore will be such a huge relief. I'm amazed he even is still alive considering how much crack and heroin he did. But I guess he fathered a son so that gave him new life. He never layed a finger on that kid. Just his daughters.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

tbh if you were walking along and saw someone pissing on a grave would you assume they didn't have a good reason???

I can read well enough to know if the grave says "Margret Thatcher" on it.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Picnic Princess posted:

I'm anticipating the day my father finally kicks it because just seeing people who look like him gives me panic attacks. I did see him once since I cut him off in 1998 and I completely lost it. He beat the poo poo out of all of us when I was growing up and went to jail for it once. Knowing I don't have to worry about running into him anymore will be such a huge relief. I'm amazed he even is still alive considering how much crack and heroin he did. But I guess he fathered a son so that gave him new life. He never layed a finger on that kid. Just his daughters.

I hope his death brings you the peace you rightfully deserve.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
I feel weird about reading this thread while having kind, decent parents

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

trickybiscuits posted:

I'm not sure who's the rear end in a top hat here but

Quite a stretch to say you're estranged from someone you see every weekend.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

ikanreed posted:

I feel weird reading this thread merely having a somewhat strained and awkward but ultimately cordial relationship with my parents.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Mr. Lobe posted:

I feel weird reading this thread merely having a somewhat strained and awkward but ultimately cordial relationship with my parents.

I'm not sure if that's worse than a parent I consider myself estranged from but I don't think she's noticed.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

ikanreed posted:

My mom was awesome and (while not perfect) she managed to make me into a generally happy, empathetic, and productive adult. I still miss her all the time.

My dad hosed off when I was 9 years old and I never saw him again. He never paid child support either. I'm extremely disappointed that he's still alive when mom died 15 years ago. I don't hate him anymore, because he's not worth the effort of hating. But I will throw a party on the day he dies.

Account McAccount
Mar 30, 2012

Ebola Roulette posted:

Here's someone who's such an expert at gaslighting they attack their daughter and make themselves the victim.

It was nice that she contradicted her original post with her update. "They arrested me and put me in a dirty cell how traumatizing! Oh but they didn't feel it was necessary to arrest me."

In case you're wondering, no, no one calls her out on the inconsistency in the replies.

The classic Costanza thought process. It's not a lie if you believe it.

A 57-year old that doesn't have a pair of gym shoes? :raise:

Pretty easy to dispose of a pair of shoes.

The victim identifying the attacker.

Police easily can go on the side of a weeping old "mummy." (Who uses "mummy/mommy" when referring to their relationship with their kids?)

Seems pretty fishy.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

For me it's not my parents but my brother.

number 1 snake fan
Jul 16, 2018

I have a theory about why all these estranged parents act like children: lead poisoning from leaded paint and gasoline

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

vortmax posted:

My mom was awesome and (while not perfect) she managed to make me into a generally happy, empathetic, and productive adult. I still miss her all the time.

My dad hosed off when I was 9 years old and I never saw him again. He never paid child support either. I'm extremely disappointed that he's still alive when mom died 15 years ago. I don't hate him anymore, because he's not worth the effort of hating. But I will throw a party on the day he dies.

If you really hate him, sue him for back child support. Thats what my bro-in-law did to his dead beat dad.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

I would at least assume that the urinator knew the particulars of the situation better than a random passer-by. And this try to withhold judgement.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Barudak posted:

I mean most cemeteries are lucky to have a regular grounds crew and what are the dead gonna do, rise up and chase you to a nearby farmhouse?

*braces body against the door, pissed off undead pounding on the rapidly splintering wood*

"gently caress! These are all our lovely, estranged, dead family members!

What, did you all finally piss on their graves or something?!"

*every survivor looks at one another, sheepish. Finally all admit, one by one, that yes, they did*

"Haha, nice. Me too."

To contribute to the thread, I actually spoke to my dad on the phone recently, and as usual regretted it.

He was telling me about a trip he made, and how it was great, on the flight back he didn't have to worry about not having enough space because a 'skinny little lesbian' was sitting next to him.

I made the mistake of asking 'how did you know?'

'Pfffffft, it was obvious. She had combat boots, thumb rings, a lot of piercings and tattoos and a butch haircut.'

'Hey dad, guess what? I wear combat boots, thumb rings, have a lot of tattoos and piercings and have a bitch haircut.'

'Well I never though you were gay!'

Yes he did.

The way he just casually drops lines like 'it's obvious XYZ' about someone still gets under my skin.

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Oct 25, 2019

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

In some community service training my wife did, she was taught to be careful about what she says to the relatives of people who've just died, and to be mindful that they might not consider it a "loss" - some people really just want to come to the hospital/hospice/wherever to make sure that the person who abused them is really dead and they're finally safe. I'm lucky enough to not be in that situation, sorry to all of you who are :smith:

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Buttcoin purse posted:

In some community service training my wife did, she was taught to be careful about what she says to the relatives of people who've just died, and to be mindful that they might not consider it a "loss" - some people really just want to come to the hospital/hospice/wherever to make sure that the person who abused them is really dead and they're finally safe. I'm lucky enough to not be in that situation, sorry to all of you who are :smith:

It always makes me happy when institutions acknowledge this kind of stuff though, the idea that family is so important and a positive thing is so pervasive in society it's easy to feel even worse when you don't have a decent one. I've had to tell a lot of managers, landlords and etc not to give our contact info to anyone claiming to be family and they don't always take it seriously because "it's your parents! They should at least know where you live!"

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos
^^Maybe you could tell them that your bio family are a bunch of druggie who will vandalize the place with their druggie friends?

quote:

I sat myself up for yet another let down. I received a picture of the newborn GC in a text message. I tried to call the only cell phone number I have to just see how my ED and GC are doing, since I could tell from the picture that it was definitely a Csection. Well, no answer. So I call the hospital and they connect me directly to the room. The baby daddy answers and I ask how they are doing and he hangs up. Ugh. I called and left a message with the nurse to please let my daughter know DH and I were thinking about them. They give me a nibble and I bite. I’m so stupid.

They're TAKING CARE OF A BABY and one of them has JUST BEEN CUT OPEN TO TAKE SAID BABY OUT, maybe they have higher priorities than TALKING ON THE PHONE Jesus Christ my brain hurts.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

trickybiscuits posted:

^^Maybe you could tell them that your bio family are a bunch of druggie who will vandalize the place with their druggie friends?

this sounds like a good way to wind up without a job/house/whatever in a real fuckin hurry

Sailor Cat
Aug 28, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

trickybiscuits posted:

They give me a nibble and I bite.

No, lady, they don't--they didn't send you that picture, they didn't call you, you are the last thing they want anywhere near them. If you're gonna get mad at anyone, get mad at whoever butt in and sent you the text in the first place.

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

It was a shame how he carried on
I feel like this is the pinnacle of how these people think:

My mom posted this gem, a nice little passive aggressive "hey I hope you see this thing I posted but if you mention it I'll say it wasn't about you." (her only child)

The bit about being a constant source of stress and drama is just so on the nose (for the opposite reason she posted it) I almost couldn't believe it. Like yeah, the person who is choosing to involve you in their life less because all you do is cause previously mentioned stress is the person who's dysfunctional and "manipulative". Who the gently caress said you owed anyone anything either? Like it's just such a perfect mess.

This post of course is gently tucked in between an endless sprawl of blatant right wing propaganda and the other occasional passive aggressive post about someone.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
I also love how the natural assumption is that our parents "already did the job" of raising us. Yeah, my biological parents don't owe me anything. Likewise, I don't owe them anything either.

I'm a functional adult in spite of my upbringing, not because of it. And that was a lot of work I put into myself over many years to accomplish. Deprogramming the bullshit your parents put into you over your formative years is not something you do overnight.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

The only thing I want from my parents is for them to leave me alone. So far so good.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Grimdude posted:

I feel like this is the pinnacle of how these people think:

My mom posted this gem, a nice little passive aggressive "hey I hope you see this thing I posted but if you mention it I'll say it wasn't about you." (her only child)

The bit about being a constant source of stress and drama is just so on the nose (for the opposite reason she posted it) I almost couldn't believe it. Like yeah, the person who is choosing to involve you in their life less because all you do is cause previously mentioned stress is the person who's dysfunctional and "manipulative". Who the gently caress said you owed anyone anything either? Like it's just such a perfect mess.

This post of course is gently tucked in between an endless sprawl of blatant right wing propaganda and the other occasional passive aggressive post about someone.

Get off Facebook or block your mother.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Get off Facebook or block your mother.
Or unfollow so you can control how you see her crap.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
Getting off Facebook is the best advice for everyone.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus
It really is. Facebook is effectively the sunglasses from They Live. It's good to know who the terrible people are in your life. It's unhealthy to get constant reminders and updates on your phone.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Clitch posted:

It really is. Facebook is effectively the sunglasses from They Live. It's good to know who the terrible people are in your life. It's unhealthy to get constant reminders and updates on your phone.

Ew, on the phone? Uninstall that app, for sure. If you want to keep up with people on facebook just check in once a day on your laptop or whatever.

Nobody needs their facebook aunts dinging their phone all day.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Scipiotik posted:

Getting off Facebook is the best advice for everyone.

:yeah:

I stopped using it uh, almost 5 years ago, I do not regret it.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos
Reading posts and then looking up the poster's history is always interesting.

quote:

Dear Son,

I forgive you for the times you damaged my house and possessions when you were young.

I forgive you for starting the fire in the garage.

I forgive you for stealing from me from the time you were a teen. You were so sneaky about that, waiting till I was asleep from working a double shift and attending school. You had the perfect timing; I did not even realize it until you were grown and told me laughingly how much you got away with.

I forgive you for blowing off school even when I physically took you into the classroom to be sure you went. You thought it was funny that you left as soon as my car left the parking lot.

I forgive you for blaming me never helping you with your homework even though everytime I asked, you said you didn’t have any and your teachers never sent a report home that you were failing. In fact they told me you would graduate because you were so smart you aced all the tests.

I forgive you for having your girlfriend stay the nights when I was working 3rd shift and I forgive you for getting her pregnant.

I forgive you and her for trashing my house, eating all my food, and complaining to me that I was not a good mom because I had a dirty house.

I forgive you for not caring for your child and bringing him to me after I got off of work at midnight. He’d be soaking wet, with a diaper that probably hadn’t been changed all day and shirt full of spilled milk freezing cold from the winter temperatures going below zero.

I forgive you for taking advantage of my inability to say no to you and telling me to figure out how I was going to continue to support you and your family when I was diagnosed with cancer for the second time and needed major surgery.

I forgive you that I had to work double shifts back to back for the month prior to my surgery and max out my 401K to make sure you and your family were taken care of so you wouldn’t be upset.

I forgive you for claiming I was an awful mom when I could no longer support you and your family because I had to cut down on my hours and get a lower paying job so I could be a guardian to your son whom you neglected so horribly.

I forgive you for the first time you banish me from you and your family (my grandchildren) because I could no longer support you and you finally had to fend for yourself.

I forgive you for blaming me for being manipulative when you were king of manipulating me.

I forgive you for allowing me to take you and your family on vacations on my dime and when I could no longer afford it and you were making close to a 6 figure salary and you never once offered to take me on vacation on your dime. Instead you took your family alone or took the in-laws with.

I forgive you for all the crap you did and did not do that hurt me so badly but I kept my mouth shut so I wouldn’t upset you.

I forgive you for blindsiding me on mother’s day and you told me you were getting rid of all the negative things in your life and I was one of them.

I forgive you for all the reasons you told me that made you feel justified in exiling me from your entire family, reasons that made no sense to me and basically were full of BS.

I forgive you for once again ripping my heart to pieces for not being the perfect mother at all times.

And I forgive you, son, for not being the perfect child, the perfect teen and the perfect man and all the things you did during those stages in your life that hurt me, even devastated me at times.

Funny, I can forgive you for all that but you can’t forgive me for your perceptions of how I raised you, and tried to help you. I forgive you for that too.

I forgive you and I love you,
Mom

History. The last few posts are the earliest.

quote:

I really do wish there was a healing place to go. I think it would be a fun break the ice session to mock our EC’s by having a “contest” of who’s EC sent the most ridiculous email or text and who’s EC is the best revisionist historian. The prize could be a pretty painted wooden spoon with the words “attitude adjuster” painted on it.

Then another session could be on getting our anger out. We could start with an art project making a stuffed doll in the EC’s image then take turns kicking it, punching it and ripping it apart while we scream out all the hurt they caused us and scream “we’re not going to take it anymore!”.

For another breakout session, after the kick stuffed doll butt session, we can talk about why we did so much for them, how we can stop the vicious cycle of re-estrangement. We could take a look at the other people in our lives that we do too much for. Of course, these need to be all in morning sessions because we will be following Sadlostbroken’s plan of “have lunch, get a manicure/pedicure, float in a pool with a glass of wine, have healing sessions late afternoon, rinse and repeat.”

Ugh.

quote:

I know this sounds harsh but I don’t mean it to be. My son gave me a grocery list of why I couldn’t be in his life anymore. They were all stuff from a long time ago. I did apologize for any wrongs I did even though in my opinion circumstances had more to do with the wrongs than by personal choice. The thing is, I have done nothing wrong since my children became adults. I refuse to apologize for the person I am now. If I did, it would be an attempt at manipulation just to get him and my grandkids back in my life and would not be sincere.

I think most of us here are estranged not for what we have done or said or who we are now. We have to ask ourselves are we going to apologize over and over again for what we have done/said/who we are perceived to be? Just to keep a relationship that makes us less than we are?

I sure am not. I’ve had 8 great years with my grandkids. I count that as a blessing. They have known my love and if they care to, they can contact me when they are 18. I’m not going to go against my son’s wishes even though I think he is a total rear end for cutting me off from them. Someone once said, “a person that judges me on my past does not belong in my present”. I totally agree.

quote:

Every day I want to write my ES an email back with a rebuttal of what he said. I want to send him an explanation of how he has distorted reality and give him a better view from my side. The reason I don’t is a line he wrote in the email,

“Again, I could write volumes about my childhood and all of the
ways that you and dad failed as parents. But I don’t need to
because you were there, and you know. If you don’t think that is
the case, perhaps you need to remember it differently to sleep at
night. Regardless, it is not my intent to try to convince you of
anything.”

He does not want to hear the other side. He does not care for my vantage point. He only cares about himself. It would not serve any purpose except for me to get my words on paper. He has hurt me badly but I am respecting his wish not to have any communication from me. My life is going on. Without him, his wife and my 4 grandchildren. It has been over a month and I’m still alive.

quote:

My ES blames me for making him dependent on me and trying to be the rescuer and manipulating him. (The whole time I felt like the victim and the one manipulated.) Now that he is on his feet with his career he throws it into my face and tells me I did NOTHING to help him get to where he is. He decided to throw me away blaming it on his upbringing and me manipulating him as an adult.

quote:

Here is the thing with kids. If you work your butt off to support them all they remember is that you didn’t do homework with them. If you don’t work your butt off then you didn’t do enough to support them. Mental health issues? I was so depressed after divorcing my abusive husband I wanted to die. I got help, I got drugged up by the doctor and barely made it through my days until they were teens and a self-help book helped me drag myself out of the hole I had been living in. Kids DO NOT CARE. When a child grows up and decides you weren’t good enough, the more you try to explain, the more they say you should have done the opposite for them.

I worked a gazillion hours a week and went to school so eventually, I would only have to work a million hours a week. I had sitters that they didn’t like, so that was abusive. I had my mom watch the kids and they’d leave her house and hang out with friends at home, therefore I “left them alone at the house”. (Scratching my head here.) I didn’t help them with their homework? They lied and said they didn’t have any plus the school never called to say there was a problem but that is my fault.

They will take and take and take until there is nothing more to give, then they reject you. I am bitter but I am DONE. My advice is to let it go. Get on with your life. Eat ice cream. Go on a cruise. You will never be good enough in their eyes so the sooner you let go the sooner you can be happy.

quote:

What if the estrangement IS our fault. What if the reason our children push us away is that they can’t get past their upbringing and it is affecting their lives now? I didn’t abuse my child but was either so busy working, going to school, exhausted and depressed that I guess (don’t remember everything the way he does) that I wasn’t there for him. When the depression got so bad that I was suicidal and had to be in the hospital for weeks I sent him to the same person that was abusive to me. Granted we had joint custody but that’s no excuse.

What if my son’s problems are because after this was all over I tried to fix everything by giving him money, supporting his family, and nagging him to get a job but not making sense for him to get a job because why should he when I was seeing to his every financial need? (He has a really good job now and hasn’t asked for money in years.)

So what if all the problems WERE my fault? How do I get past that? How do I get past knowing what I did to my children? Heck, I’m still trying to fix my daughter and run to her rescue when she runs out of money. Why do I always feel I have to fix things? I’m still working through all this. I wish I could just turn my brain off for a few hours

Some responses:

quote:

you do not have to accept the blame that has been put on you by your ES. My ES blames me too. Why? Because it’s easier to blame me for any problems that he may be struggling with rather than confront and deal with them himself. He chooses to believe I’m the one at fault because, my goodness, no way could he believe that it’s actually him.

quote:

People like to say that we had them for 18 years, we were bigger in size …. blah blah blah. Yes, we had some time with them. I hope my influence was good. But my ES was in school 6 hours a day. He had teachers, friends, textbooks, the Internet, coaches, romantic interests. Then there are spouses, in-laws, church groups, books of all sorts. TV….

quote:

And doing the hard work to heal ourselves also goes for the adult child. Everybody has problems or issues and it’s up to the individual to seek help if they need it. To blame another and refuse to take ownership for one’s own life doesn’t bring happiness.

quote:

First and formost I know I was not a good mom. I left an abusive husband, worked 2 jobs and was going to school while raising my kids. To add to the scenerio I suffered from deep depression. Sometimes I could not take care of my kids because of the depression so they had to go live with their dad (yes the one that abused me).

About 11 years ago my son stopped talking to me and took me out of his life including 2 grandchildren. He told me I was dispicable for the way I raised him amongst other things. I did not meet my one and only granddaughter until she was over 1 yr old. Then out of the blue he decided to let me back into their lives. I was leary of this but I said I was sorry for his childhood and he said it was all in the past and he realized I had issues that I don’t have now.

For 8 years after that I took them on family vacations every year until I couldn’t afford it anymore. I was there when my youngest grandson was born, for all the children’s holidays and birthdays and first communions until April of this year. I wasn’t invited to my youngest’s 1st communion. My son said he and his wife didnt realize they hadn’t invited me until the next day when it was over. When I didn’t hear from him on mothers day and he canceled our dinner date for his birthday I knew something was up.

He texted me that he was in counseling and getting rid of anyone that was not a positive influence on his life and that included me. He told me that I had not done anything wrong in the 8 years since being allowed to be in his and his children and wife’s life again. He said he had been faking having a relationship with me. He didn’t trust me with his kids. Everytime he saw me it takes days to get back to feeling normal. He says this is all about how I raised him.

I’ve been devastated. It feels like he ripped my chest opened and reached in and ripped my heart out. My daughter has been working hard to make sure I’m OK and my two grandchildren (her kids) keep trying to make me laugh. They are my saving grace. I’m going to be OK but I can’t stop ruminating on what the heck just happened? I’m walking around in a daze most of the time and I feel so confused. The tears come at the most inopportune times.

I’m glad I found this community. I hope to find answers and support here. Maybe even help someone else in the process I know it is going to take to heal.

Thanks for reading this long introduction post. Can you believe this is the short version??

And a different poster, estranged from one son who may or may not be the one who calls her and sends her pictures. Slightly edited for clarity.

quote:

I really feel like a bad mom and person and am trying not to do this but I am isolating myself more and I feel I should close the relationship with my other children as I feel I only create harm to them. I love them so but I’m not very well supported by them.

My son buys a time frame on when he can talk on the phone and sends pictures of his son with no words . I feel he could at least text something . Haven’t checked on me how I’m doing.

The other she just basically says you can’t change someone’s feelings . I did see pictures of the wedding of my son. It was looking through a snow globe from hell . Everyone happy and they can live without me . Then I saw a picture of my ex sister in law. That cut like a knife she had been jealous of me since I met her brother my ex. May be best for me to walk away from all so my ex and the children can have a good family .

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
An AITA crossover special:

https://twitter.com/aita_reddit/status/1190246451856596993?s=21

The response from Reddit is...nearly universally supporting the daughter. Good to know they get it right every once and a while.

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

It was a shame how he carried on
So at a MINIMUM, the mom was entirely not supportive of the daughter going away for a degree that she felt was worthless.

Like a lot of these, I wonder what else we don't know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Blue Moonlight posted:

An AITA crossover special:

https://twitter.com/aita_reddit/status/1190246451856596993?s=21

The response from Reddit is...nearly universally supporting the daughter. Good to know they get it right every once and a while.

I, I, I, me. I, I, I, me. I, I, I? Me. Me, me, me. I!