Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I thought we were going to get the equivalent of Aztecs vs. Aliens/Predators from the clips they showed in the AvP trailer but those just ended up being a flashback in the movie.

Lame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lossy Compression
Sep 29, 2019

Hooked On A Feeling
Too late to chime in about Bill Paxton? The Dark Backward is surely the strangest thing he ever did. Not for the squeamish though, you may feel compelled to shower after watching it.

He made it after Aliens but somehow it doesn't feel that way.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

ruddiger posted:

I thought we were going to get the equivalent of Aztecs vs. Aliens/Predators from the clips they showed in the AvP trailer but those just ended up being a flashback in the movie.

Lame.
The movie was actually originally going to open with some Alien on Predator action in the Aztec era (and the novelization features this).

purple death ray posted:

Just remake every Assassins Creed game with predators
I am now genuinely angry that this will never happen.

Sunswipe posted:

e: Maybe the Tunguska event could have been a Predator's self destruct bomb going off.
In the comics, that's pretty much exactly what it is.

skasion posted:

Yeah I’m honestly kind of surprised there hasn’t been a period piece Predator yet. Ten Thousand Predators BC. Prædator. Crusadator. Aztec vs Predator.
I got you fam

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRD8jAk274I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFbGV9UNSPw

Torquemada posted:

Schindler’s List but with Predators instead of Nazis
There's a good number of references to Predators throughout history in the comics and novels - generally any violent mythological creature from any culture can be traced back to the Predator, notably the Japanese "Oni", myriad Native American spirits, even Spring-Heeled Jack.

Except for Saint George and the Dragon, that was totally a xenomorph.
No, really.

Predators crop up in both World Wars, the American Civil War, the Vietnam War, and some others I'm probably forgetting.

Pissed Ape Sexist posted:

They just need a movie with a Yautja as the main character doing his thing somewhere and get away from 'this creature hunts the group of one-dimensional dudes you just met'. Subbed not dubbed, not a whole lot of dialogue, and character development. Just take the rough outline of an artsy western or a movie about a wilderness dude or a hunter or whatever and make a Predator the main character. Fistful of Dollars. Jeremiah Johnson. Hell, Escanaba In Da Moonlight. Give me a loving Predator Rooster Cogburn.
The novel Predator: South China Sea full-on does this and it's hands down the best Predator novel to date. There's a cast of human characters who get fleshed out and everything, but the Predator gets a ton of solitary attention and the book gets inside his head and makes him a genuine character and not just a boogeyman monster for the humans to fight.

I feel bad recommending it because the book has been out of print for a decade, without any hope in sight of it seeing a reprint.

Although to bring things full-circle back to 'Predator 2', the movie's novelization has a fair amount of stuff from the Predator's POV and has his thoughts and reactions when stuff is going on, it's pretty neat.

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

Read labyrinth on that free comic website and woof what a ride.

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

I'm rewatching the 1979 film and I'm having trouble eulogizing it. Aliens is fine by itself but the greater work is the original. Alien (1979) is a brilliant work that verges on horror and exploitationism, while also being firmly rooted in the medium of sci-fi creature features

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
If Alien had been the only movie released. It would have been hardly remembered just as a great old niche horror movie.

Aliens is what brought the xenomorph and space marines into the collective consciousness. Thank James Cameron and the huge box office numbers he always brings.

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

DropsySufferer posted:

If Alien had been the only movie released. It would have been hardly remembered just as a great old niche horror movie.

Aliens is what brought the xenomorph and space marines into the collective consciousness. Thank James Cameron and the huge box office numbers he always brings.

That's an interesting thought. If Alien never had a sequel, it would be more of a niche thing for sci-fi and horror aficionados and we wouldn't have had things like those 90s toys, but I'd reckon it would still be pretty well remembered in a similar way to 2001 or Blade Runner. It's not quite as artsy or philosophical as those movies so wouldn't have caused as much chin stroking over the years, but it's also more visceral and fast-paced so would have a broader appeal. It would still be one of Ridley Scott's best movies and his later ones would still have got billed as "from the director of Blade Runner and Alien!" at least until Gladiator came along. The chestburster scene would probably still be legendary.

Hell, if Aliens hadn't been made then there's probably a decent chance it would eventually have got a belated sequel like Blade Runner 2049 anyway.

Patrocclesiastes
Apr 30, 2009

I watched alien and Aliens directors cuts back to back thanks to this thread!

There was someone earlier asking for an alien isolation lets play, there was one on The forums in 2015 but i think it got abandoned. Shame too because it was very good and subtitled, letting the game shine.

Xenomrph, i liked your lp and really wish you would upload the videos on YouTube, i dug the original thread from 2010 and all the video links are dead.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Former DILF posted:

I'm rewatching the 1979 film and I'm having trouble eulogizing it. Aliens is fine by itself but the greater work is the original. Alien (1979) is a brilliant work that verges on horror and exploitationism, while also being firmly rooted in the medium of sci-fi creature features

I enjoy both movies and you also have to accept how both films were intentionally going for completely different tone.

Alien was basically blue collar workers in space while Aliens was more Mil Science fiction.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Patrocclesiastes posted:

Xenomrph, i liked your lp and really wish you would upload the videos on YouTube, i dug the original thread from 2010 and all the video links are dead.
I would if I could, but the raw video files are trapped on a corrupted hard drive and I haven’t found a way to salvage them without paying a professional real $$$$$ to do so. :(

Patrocclesiastes
Apr 30, 2009

Thats a drat shame, i really liked watching it back then :(

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
That just means you'll have to play it yourself now. :)

On Alien Isolation: The working Joes were more scary than the alien I can't be the only person who thinks the same?

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

The working joes were scary in a «holy poo poo these hosed up androids are everywhere!» way while the alien is more «holy poo poo where is it where did it go» scary

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

DropsySufferer posted:

What the hell is this? Seriously, are you trolling? Alien had nearly identical box office gross to Aliens and was a pop culture phenomenon that had already made Sigourney Weaver, the xenomorph, and Ridley Scott world-famous and inspired countless imitators and references by the time Aliens was released.

You can credit Aliens with broadening the IP's impact even further by popularizing the whole 'space marines' concept, being a breakthrough as a feminist action film, and helping to make James Cameron a Hollywood power player, but it's undeniably the second time lightning struck the franchise, not the first and only.

Seriously, please don't make sweeping statements of historical fact if you don't know what you're talking about.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...
Like, Alien was already considered a classic film by the time Aliens was released. A classic. In 7 years.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Working Joes freaked me out more than the alien, too, not that it wasn't also freaky.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

What the hell is this? Seriously, are you trolling? Alien had nearly identical box office gross to Aliens and was a pop culture phenomenon that had already made Sigourney Weaver, the xenomorph, and Ridley Scott world-famous and inspired countless imitators and references by the time Aliens was released.

You can credit Aliens with broadening the IP's impact even further by popularizing the whole 'space marines' concept, being a breakthrough as a feminist action film, and helping to make James Cameron a Hollywood power player, but it's undeniably the second time lightning struck the franchise, not the first and only.

Seriously, please don't make sweeping statements of historical fact if you don't know what you're talking about.

Most of us weren’t even born when Alien came out.
The world would be different if Aliens was never made there’s a fact for you.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

DropsySufferer posted:

That just means you'll have to play it yourself now. :)

On Alien Isolation: The working Joes were more scary than the alien I can't be the only person who thinks the same?

The first time I saw one I tried the standard stealth FPS tactic of 'sneak up behind one and brain it with the wrench for a one-hit-kill.'

It spun around and beat me to death in first person while coolly telling me to calm down, I was becoming hysterical. Working Joes were scary as fuuuuuck.

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!
"Pride and Prejudice" except it's "Pride and Predators".

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

Holy poo poo Paramount just force fed me the new Terminator trailer on YouTube it looks so loving bad. Holy poo poo this looks like a loving train wreck.

tylersayten
Mar 20, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

DropsySufferer posted:

lmao :cripes:

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

If Alien had been the only movie released we might not be suffering through prometheus and covenant now but we'd have at least one remake of the original by now

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

purple death ray posted:

If Alien had been the only movie released we might not be suffering through prometheus and covenant now but we'd have at least one remake of the original by now

can't decide if i'd rather be in this timeline

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Not Another Xeen Movie!

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I'm listening to an audiobook of bug hunt. It's bad. Real bad. There's been one good story, one good but heavy handed story, five fanfics about Aliens marines (two of them Dietrich) (skipped four of them), and some teenager's bounty hunter OC fighting the red hulk on lv-426.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Every time I watch Aliens I’m blown away by how excellent and efficient the setup and characterization are in this film. The whole thing is like a finely tuned Swiss watch.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Anyone play the AvP 2010 game?

Something that really pisses me off is the pulse rifle damage. I need to empty half a magazine into an alien dead on to kill it. Even their head. I was just watching a video on youtube and some dude killed a xeno in one short burst. wtf is going on here?

I googled pulse rifle damage problems and mods for it and I got nothing. I don't understand whats going on. I know a lot of you don't play the game (you should) but I'd like some experiences on this if you have them.

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!
Speaking of AVP games:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pjt6xEbx-S0

I've played 99, never tried 2010 though. Might have to check it out.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
The pulse rifle in AvP 99 was dope because it only took one well-placed shot to kill, but the aliens were so drat nimble the problem became landing them. My first time encountering an alien was at the end of a hallway. I put a burst into it that blew off both of its arms then panicked and took a ton of damage because it kept coming at me and started biting me.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
One thing I always wondered was how come when Ripley needed an excuse to autopsy Newt she said cholera? Seems out of left field and the doctor was like "do you think I'm an idiot?"

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

WHY BONER NOW posted:

One thing I always wondered was how come when Ripley needed an excuse to autopsy Newt she said cholera? Seems out of left field and the doctor was like "do you think I'm an idiot?"

She wanted to hide the fact that it could have been an alien. And she very much wanted to keep that a secret so she just made that up.

The doctor mentioned that there hasn't been a case of cholera in 200 years so that's why he knew something was up.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Pennywise the Frown posted:

She wanted to hide the fact that it could have been an alien. And she very much wanted to keep that a secret so she just made that up.

The doctor mentioned that there hasn't been a case of cholera in 200 years so that's why he knew something was up.

Yeah I get that, what I'm not clear on is why she picked cholera of all things, instead of something current like space pox or something. It just seemed like a strange choice for a cover disease

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Yeah I get that, what I'm not clear on is why she picked cholera of all things, instead of something current like space pox or something. It just seemed like a strange choice for a cover disease

Eh, I think it was just off the top of her head and you can tell she hesitated and just threw it out there. If she said space pox they're probably have to explain it. Everyone knows what cholera is.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Anyone play the AvP 2010 game?

Something that really pisses me off is the pulse rifle damage. I need to empty half a magazine into an alien dead on to kill it. Even their head. I was just watching a video on youtube and some dude killed a xeno in one short burst. wtf is going on here?

I googled pulse rifle damage problems and mods for it and I got nothing. I don't understand whats going on. I know a lot of you don't play the game (you should) but I'd like some experiences on this if you have them.

I remember people complaining about it at the time the game came out.
They made Aliens bullet sponges as they were slower.
In AvP99 an Alien could jump from one side to the room 50000000m away in half a second.
In 2010, they were plodding Doom imps that slowly walked towards you.
In AvP99 the aliens could launch a jump attack from any surface.
In 2010, they plodded along ignoring if they were being shot, until they got onto the ground, and then only jumped to you if they got within distance.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

purple death ray posted:

I agree, I do think that so much of Alien now hinges on the existence of Aliens as it is now.

It would be a much different world if Alien 2 was an inferior sequel. Had a sequel been rushed out a year or two after the first one, it could have easily been a slasher series.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

happyhippy posted:

I remember people complaining about it at the time the game came out.
They made Aliens bullet sponges as they were slower.
In AvP99 an Alien could jump from one side to the room 50000000m away in half a second.
In 2010, they were plodding Doom imps that slowly walked towards you.
In AvP99 the aliens could launch a jump attack from any surface.
In 2010, they plodded along ignoring if they were being shot, until they got onto the ground, and then only jumped to you if they got within distance.
It's me, I was these people.

I also didn't like playing an alien in multiplayer. Yeah slowly stamping toward someone then spending like a minute executing an elaborate murder animation while his buddies empty clips into me is way more fun than slowly sneaking up behind a marine and headbiting him and running away cackling from his suddenly headless corpse while his friends spin in circles screaming and shooting and making GBS threads themselves

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!
Everybody always forgets the best game which is 2001 Monolith's Alien versus Predator 2.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Fish of hemp posted:

Everybody always forgets the best game which is 2001 Monolith's Alien versus Predator 2.

That's a funny way to spell the Aliens Arcade game

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Iron Crowned posted:

That's a funny way to spell the Alien vs Predator Arcade game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Splicer posted:

It's me, I was these people.

I also didn't like playing an alien in multiplayer. Yeah slowly stamping toward someone then spending like a minute executing an elaborate murder animation while his buddies empty clips into me is way more fun than slowly sneaking up behind a marine and headbiting him and running away cackling from his suddenly headless corpse while his friends spin in circles screaming and shooting and making GBS threads themselves

Me and friends played the poo poo out of AvP 99, mostly we stuck to the Horde mode, us Marines against the AI aliens.
But when we did deathmatch, I loved being the alien, hiding around corners on the ceiling just waiting for another to walk by.
If I recall correctly some of the maps were designed so as an Alien you could blend in with the pipes from a distance.

I played AvP 2010 multiplayer, but it was hacker central back then.
Join a game, and everyone in my team would get insta killed by some Predator with infinite instant spears or whatever.