Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer
So, I'm not going to argue all of her points, but I will say that the bill that we're trying to pass now is much narrower than the 2017 omnibus bill. I can't really speak to the overall impacts of that bill, but within the craft alcohol industry, it's been a lifesaver - thus the desire to pass the Craft Beverage Modernization and Tax Reform Act.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Gravitee posted:

My House rep is not on board. I tend to agree with her on most things so :shrug:

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me regarding the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act. In Congress, I am committed to working towards comprehensive tax reform that creates better jobs for our workers and prosperity for our businesses. 

Since being signed into law in December of 2017, the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act has failed to deliver long-promised tax relief for middle-class Americans. Analysis by the Tax Policy Center illustrates that the bill has raised taxes on 86 million middle class families, given 83 percent of tax cuts to corporations and the wealthiest one percent, and exploded the deficit by nearly $2 trillion. A recent report by the Congressional Research Service indicates that in its first year of passage, the tax law has had little impact on wage growth or business investment. 

I oppose the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act and will closely review provisions in any upcoming tax legislation designed to provide our middle class with substantial tax relief, enable businesses large and small to hire more workers, and increase employee compensation. Doing so is critical to ensure that our constituents feel secure and optimistic about their economic future.

Sincerely,
     Haley Stevens
     Member of Congress
Hi neighbor. I met Congresswoman Stevens on primary day last year at Starbucks across from my office. When she tried to make her pitch, I let her know I live in Sandy Levin's then-district.

asciidic
Aug 19, 2005

lord of the valves

I finally killed off a bottle of Angle's Envy that's been sitting at a little less than 1/4 full for a month. I didn't think that was long enough for oxidization to change the flavor, but it tasted like caramel syrup. I...think I love it? I want to go get another bottle and put it into several other bottles.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!

Nth Doctor posted:

Hi neighbor.

Howdy neighbor.

I like Angel's Envy although I know some purists think less of it. I have the sherry cask version and it hits a warm, sweet spot for me.

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

Weltlich posted:

Hey guys, I hate doing this, but I'm dropping by with a big ask of US goons who love spirits and any sort of alcohol in general.

In 2017, there was a roll-back of the excise tax rate on Spirits, Beer, and Wine across the board, targeted at smaller producers. I don't know how the rates changed for Beer and Wine, but for spirits, we saw our tax rate go from $13.50 per proof gallon to $2.70 a proof gallon. That was huge and it meant that small producers could put that money toward hiring people or increasing production.

Well, that change to the excise tax rate is going to expire on Dec 31 of this year unless H.R 1175/S.362 gets passed before the end of the year.

If it fails to pass, a lot of small distilleries are just going to disappear. For us, it literally meant we could afford to hire an employee and pay him a living wage with actual healthcare, dental, and PTO. We were hoping we might hire two more people this year, but if this doesn't pass that probably won't happen.

For you, the consumer of spirits, this will potentially tack on another ~$2.70 per (750ml, 40%abv) bottle of spirits across the board. The big guys (Bacardi, etc) didn't drop their prices when this tax beak took effect two years ago, but I wouldn't be surprised if they use it as an excuse for a price jump. Between this and the new tariffs, you could see a $5 to $10 jump on may bottles, no matter their place of origin.

I know that the quality of some craft spirits is pretty dubious (and I largely agree!) but this section of the industry is still in its infancy. The people most at risk here are the ones who have been doing it right, quietly building barrel stocks and taking the time to make something good instead of just rushing subpar or rectified spirits to market. If we're going to see some new good brands arise over the next few decades while those barrels mature, distilleries like mine need all the help we can get to make sure that we can bring out the good stuff when it's ready.

If you've got literally 30 seconds to spare, and you're a US citizen, please click this link: https://p2a.co/jCFN85n
All you have to do is enter your name, address, phone number, and email, and it auto generates an email to send to your senators and congressperson to ask them to vote Yes on H.R 1175/S.362 . You can post on twitter and phone them, if you are so inclined, but just the email would be a massive boon.

This doesn't just help me, it helps every other distillery, brewery, and winery out there.

Had no idea about this issue, I posted it on the /r/cocktails community.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Thanks!

Most of the emails that have been coming back from congressional/senatorial offices have been positive, so it looks like we've got a majority of support. The trick now is getting it to a vote. At the moment, I've been informed that it's gone to the House Ways and Means committee, so that's progress. But, we've got effectively 5 working weeks between now and the end of the year.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

asciidic posted:

I finally killed off a bottle of Angle's Envy that's been sitting at a little less than 1/4 full for a month. I didn't think that was long enough for oxidization to change the flavor, but it tasted like caramel syrup. I...think I love it? I want to go get another bottle and put it into several other bottles.

Try the Balvenie Caribbean cask. You’ll like that too.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Weltlich posted:

Thanks!

Most of the emails that have been coming back from congressional/senatorial offices have been positive, so it looks like we've got a majority of support. The trick now is getting it to a vote. At the moment, I've been informed that it's gone to the House Ways and Means committee, so that's progress. But, we've got effectively 5 working weeks between now and the end of the year.

I can't tell what Colin Allred will do.

quote:

Thank you for reaching out regarding tax policy for craft distillers and the effects of H.R. 1, the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act (TCJA) that Congress passed in 2017. I appreciate hearing from you on this issue.

For many reasons, I believe the 2017 tax bill was a missed opportunity. Instead of providing much-needed tax relief to middle-class families and small businesses, it gave large tax cuts to big corporations and the wealthiest Americans.

However, I recognize that there are aspects of the bill that gave much-needed tax reform to certain areas of our economy, including smaller craft distillers, brewers, and wine producers, through a lower excise tax to help them compete with larger-scale wineries, breweries, and distilleries. Distilling and brewing is a rapidly expanding industry across Texas, and the distillers of North Texas need certainty in order to continue to expand their business and bring value to their communities.

I am committed to lowering the tax burden and raising wages for middle class families and those working to get there, not giving massive handouts to the richest Americans. I support tax reforms that ask the wealthy and big corporations to pay their fair share in taxes so that we can help working families and small business owners. I will continue to fight for these priorities every day as your Congressman.

Apache
May 11, 2004

DoctaFun posted:

I’ve heard Oban described as ‘Scotch’s greatest hits’ and I think I like that description. It has a little bit of all the major scotch ‘flavors’ to me. Most specifically, I always seem to get a bit of smoke and a bit of tart / sweet(like an apple in the middle of the tart/sweet spectrum or something). Very enjoyable though, and I feel well balanced. I don’t generally reach for super peaty/smoky scotch, so this one fits the bill if I want just a bit of that.

The Aberlour seems to vary quite a bit by batch, but the batch I have is very heavy on the plum type fruit notes, some bite/heat, but the most glorious mouthfeel I’ve experienced in a whisky. Very creamy and thick, which I just love.

I opened up the Aberlour as well as the Oban on Friday, and your descriptions are spot on. The Aberlour is the best non-Islay that I've had with lots of sweet fruit, plum and raisin , and the Oban was very balanced. I also started that night with a pour of Koval's four grain whiskey out of Chicago, it tasted kind of bready, which is something I haven't gotten out of whiskey before.

I also need to remember to ask for pricing before I order Scotch at a bar, got hit for $25 for a pour of Balvenie 14 yr Caribbean last night, which is about half the price of a full bottle, this same bar also had Pappy 23 for $125 per pour.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Vox Nihili posted:

Avoid Hudson. The Woodford should be fine, if not terribly impressive.

I haven’t found any of Hudson’s offerings to be anywhere approaching good, especially at their price point. They do have an attractive bottle which is most of the battle I suppose.

On another note, I picked up a bottle of Green Spot for the first time this week and that is a fantastic Irish whiskey.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Vox Nihili posted:

Sort of a side note, but my senator responded, letting me know that she's a supporter of the bill. Cool!

Oh hey Senator Kamala Harris also responded, except her staff sent a completely generic "tax policy" email that doesn't even mention the bill. Kamala!!!

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
I convinced my local shop to start carrying Ezra brooks bourbon cream which is great for me. It’s definitely comparable to the Buffalo Trace bourbon cream, except it’s only $11, which makes me not feel bad when I drink the whole thing in like three days. It’s lower proof, but quite good.

Seriously, bourbon cream and root beer over ice is so good.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
Looking for suggestions on how to expand my collection of Whisky. I tend to not be a super Peat fan. The most "peat" like bottles I've enjoyed so far are anything Lagavulin and some of the Highland Park stuff. If there are suggestions on to how to get into Islay stuff more, I'd be all ears. My current collection is:
Balvenie 14 Caribbean Cask
GOT Talisker
Glenfarclas 12
Lagavulin 9
Lagavulin 16
Clynelish 14
Aberlour 12
Glenlivet 12
Glenfiddich 12
Springbank 10(odd funkiness)
Cardhu 12
Compass Box Great King St
Dalmore 12
Dalmore Cigar Malt
Highland Park 12
Glenmorangie Nectar D'Or
Green Label 15
Westland American Single malt
Auchentoshan Three Wood
Highland Park Dark Origins
Highland Park Full Volume
Highland Park Magnus
Red Breast 12
Red Breast 12 Cask Strength
Powers
Powers Three Swan
Powers John Lane
Black Label
Laphroaig Quarter Cask
Suntory Whisky
Samplers of:
Ardberg Corryvreckan
Ardberg Uigeadail
Chivas 18
Chivas Extra

I have various bourbons either for cocktails but rarely neat outside of Blanton's or Rarebreed.
High West is doing some nice things with the Valley Tan, Double Rye and the Midwinter

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Tiny Chalupa posted:

Looking for suggestions on how to expand my collection of Whisky. I tend to not be a super Peat fan. The most "peat" like bottles I've enjoyed so far are anything Lagavulin and some of the Highland Park stuff. If there are suggestions on to how to get into Islay stuff more, I'd be all ears. My current collection is:
GOT Talisker
Glenfarclas 12
Lagavulin 9
Lagavulin 16
Clynelish 14
Aberlour 12
Glenlivet 12
Glenfiddich 12
Cardhu 12
Dalmore 12
Dalmore Cigar Malt
Highland Park 12
Glenmorangie Nectar D'Or
Green Label 15
Auchentoshan Three Wood
Highland Park Magnus
Red Breast 12
Powers
Powers Three Swan
Powers John Lane
Black Label
Laphroaig Quarter Cask
Suntory Whisky
Samplers of:
Ardberg Corryvreckan
Ardberg Uigeadail
Chivas 18
Chivas Extra

I have various bourbons either for cocktails but rarely neat outside of Blanton's or Rarebreed.
High West is doing some nice things with the Valley Tan, Double Rye and the Midwinter

You've got enough of a collection that I'd suggest you seek out a local store that does regular/semi-regular tastings and figure out your next bottle that way.
If that's too hard or can't happen, going for bottles that are different expressions or age statements for the distilleries that you know that you like is a logical leap.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

You've got what are imo some of the best readily available Islay whiskies in Cory, Uig and Laph QC.

For a light peat, Talisker 10 is delicious. It's more like drinking fruit soaked in seawater, but there's a forest fire off in the distance.

Are you looking for bourbon/rye suggestions for drinking neat?

Enigma fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Nov 9, 2019

asciidic
Aug 19, 2005

lord of the valves

obi_ant posted:

Try the Balvenie Caribbean cask. You’ll like that too.

Got a bottle of this. It's a bit too tart for me. The up side is, someone's getting a mostly full bottle of scotch for xmas!

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Tiny Chalupa posted:

GOT Talisker
Glenfarclas 12
Lagavulin 9
Lagavulin 16
Clynelish 14
Aberlour 12
Glenlivet 12
Glenfiddich 12
Cardhu 12
Dalmore 12
Dalmore Cigar Malt
Highland Park 12
Glenmorangie Nectar D'Or
Green Label 15
Auchentoshan Three Wood
Highland Park Magnus
Red Breast 12
Powers
Powers Three Swan
Powers John Lane
Black Label
Laphroaig Quarter Cask
Suntory Whisky
Samplers of:
Ardberg Corryvreckan
Ardberg Uigeadail
Chivas 18
Chivas Extra

Bruichladdich, the really run the gamut with peat -- including some entirely unpeated stuff.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

There's so much good, affordable whiskey out there but I keep finding myself drawn back to the shitpile.

Picked up a bottle of something called Label 5 scotch. It's... surprisingly not awful? Most of the bad/cheap whiskeys I've had fall into one of two categories; either tasting like garbage, or having no discernible flavor whatsoever. Label 5 comes closer to the latter but there's still some fruitiness and bit of peat to it. It's, well, like I said, not awful. Certainly wouldn't be my first choice but local liquor store had it on clearance ($12/750ml) and I was really in the mood for something bad and this was the winning contestant. Bottles that will have to be content with the copy of our home game were Chymes, Early Times, and Grant's, which came under consideration primarily for the weird triangular vessel it came in.

biggfoo
Sep 12, 2005

My god, it's full of :jeb:!

Tiny Chalupa posted:

GOT Talisker
Glenfarclas 12
Lagavulin 9
Lagavulin 16
Clynelish 14
Aberlour 12
Glenlivet 12
Glenfiddich 12
Cardhu 12
Dalmore 12
Dalmore Cigar Malt
Highland Park 12
Glenmorangie Nectar D'Or
Green Label 15
Auchentoshan Three Wood
Highland Park Magnus
Red Breast 12
Powers
Powers Three Swan
Powers John Lane
Black Label
Laphroaig Quarter Cask
Suntory Whisky
Samplers of:
Ardberg Corryvreckan
Ardberg Uigeadail
Chivas 18
Chivas Extra

Sounds like you need some Bunnahabhain. Islay and looked in the direction of a peat bog once but didn't get too close.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

I'm just loving spoiled to pieces right now, grabbed a Bruichladdich black arts 5.1 and Ardbeg supernova 2019. Couldn't be more different, but they're both bliss.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012

Deceptive Thinker posted:

You've got enough of a collection that I'd suggest you seek out a local store that does regular/semi-regular tastings and figure out your next bottle that way.
If that's too hard or can't happen, going for bottles that are different expressions or age statements for the distilleries that you know that you like is a logical leap.

Sadly this poo poo state I moved to doesn't allow tastings. I am working on setting some up as I seem to have found some fellow enthusiast. At least we have a bar not too terribly far away to has 200+ bottles on hand. I rarely try before I buy, Just kinda. Buy the bottles and hope I like em.
Some different age statements I see in my immediate future for sure.

Enigma posted:

You've got what are imo some of the best readily available Islay whiskies in Cory, Uig and Laph QC.

For a light peat, Talisker 10 is delicious. It's more like drinking fruit soaked in seawater, but there's a forest fire off in the distance.

Are you looking for bourbon/rye suggestions for drinking neat?

The Talisker GOT is relatively enjoyable, not a everyday sipper for me but nice enough, that I've been eyeing a Talisker 10. That description makes it sound good for sure.
Sadly no bourbon/rye recommendations for me. I just CANNOT get into them neat. I've tried 40 to 50 bottles and nearly everyone just became mixed with Coke.
Blanton's, Rare Breed, High West Valley Tan and Four Roses Store Select are the only ones I've held onto. Ugh. I want to like Bourbon more, relatively cheaper then Whisky, but I can't seem to find a lot I like

biggfoo posted:

Sounds like you need some Bunnahabhain. Islay and looked in the direction of a peat bog once but didn't get too close.

That one is on my list! I was going to grab some today but the ABC store I went too didn't have it today so grabbed some other bottles. In a week or two I'll work more diligently at getting a bottle to try. That and Old Putney + Cragganmore

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

FWIW I hear scotch drinkers gravitate toward Woodford Reserve.

I don't care at all for it, but I'm also not really into non-Islay scotch either, so maybe there's something to that.

Testro
May 2, 2009
Cragganmore is a very weak tasting scotch - it's easy to drink, and it's nice enough, but I always think there are better bottles out there for the same price. Benromach is a similar experience - I enjoy them well enough when I'm in a bar, but as soon as I switch the next drink to Oban or Talisker or Laphroaig, the distance between them is apparent.

Old Pulteney is a far better bet. 12 is very good, 18 is better (but a big price jump).

Tomatin 12 is also very drinkable.

Tomintoul 14 is a decent Speyside which has been growing on me.

As for peat, I'm seconding the Bruichladdich recommendation. Classic Laddie is a good place to start, else one of the Port Charlottes.

Longrow is a Campbeltown take on a peated whisky; it's got a surreal custardy texture, which sounds awful but is excellent. I always feel that Longrow gets better once it's been opened and left a while (opening a new bottle always feels like a disappointment, but whenever I finish the last dram, I always think, "I must get more of this.").

Bowmore 12 is a fairly weak peat too - nothing like the Ardbeg. 15 year old darkest is a nice expression of it.

Both Caol Ila and Caol Ila Moch are very good, as is Old Ballantruan (a peated Tomintoul, oddly enough).

Roll Fizzlebeef
Sep 9, 2003

Testro posted:

Old Pulteney is a far better bet. 12 is very good...

Agreed. I really enjoy Old Pulteney 12yr.

Apache
May 11, 2004

So I signed up for a year of flaviar for $210, it looks like I'm getting $180 in store credits with that as opposed to the one $40-$60 bottle per quarter, which I'm not thrilled with at the moment, plus 4 sample boxes.

Among their 'curated' selections (which should be free once a quarter) for the quarter were Highland Park 12 Viking Honour and Starward Nova single malt. The Starward Nova looks different from anything I've had, being aged in red wine barrels for 2 years. Anyone have experience with that one? I'd probably enjoy the Highland Park, but I've already got the Ardbeg uigeadail, Lagavulin Distillers Edition, and Oban 14 in my cabinet for peated options.

Though I guess I could just use the credits they have me towards anything on the site, which opens up a huge realm of possibilities.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

It turns out I got lucky and was able to try a glass of Crown Royal Bourbon Mash at a place I happened to visit last night after work. Turns out it's been renamed for obvious reasons.

I was actually surprised how not bad it was. I mean, a good deal of actual bourbons I've had were way better, but for an $8 glass and not being able to find it at the LCBO, I enjoyed this more than the Maker's 46 that cost me $12 after. Not nearly as syrupy as most of the other Crown Royal I've had (Northern Harvest Rye is still the top of their brand IMO) and a pleasant richness to it. Wouldn't go out of my way to pick it up, but if it became ubiquitous enough to keep the price as low as I think it should be (this site lists it as US$30/750mL, which would be around what I'd expect here given the regular stuff is C$30), I'd consider a bottle every so often.

edit: pricing

mojo1701a fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Nov 13, 2019

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

mojo1701a posted:

It turns out I got lucky and was able to try a glass of Crown Royal Bourbon Mash at a place I happened to visit last night after work. Turns out it's been renamed for obvious reasons.

I was actually surprised how not bad it was. I mean, a good deal of actual bourbons I've had were way better, but for an $8 glass and not being able to find it at the LCBO, I enjoyed this more than the Maker's 46 that cost me $12 after. Not nearly as syrupy as most of the other Crown Royal I've had (Northern Harvest Rye is still the top of their brand IMO) and a pleasant richness to it. Wouldn't go out of my way to pick it up, but if it became ubiquitous enough to keep the price as low as I think it should be (this site lists it as US$30/750mL, which would be around what I'd expect here given the regular stuff is C$30), I'd consider a bottle every so often.

edit: pricing

They did a noble collection release of this that carries a 13 year age statement that I think is really really good. Very classic bourbon profile but pretty deep flavors.

I just opened my bottle of Deanston 9 year cask strength Bordeaux finish.

First dram was good, but will wait for my 2nd or 3rd before passing judgement.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
Bought a bottle of OGD Bonded for old time's sake and I'm wondering why the heck it took me so long to come back to it. Toffee and spice, and everything nice.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

DoctaFun posted:

They did a noble collection release of this that carries a 13 year age statement that I think is really really good. Very classic bourbon profile but pretty deep flavors.

Crown Royal? I can only find a few non-flavoured types on the LCBO's website. I'm always up for expanding my Canadian whisky selection (again, mostly due to cost), so I'll have to keep an eye out for them if I find them. Again, I generally don't consider Crown Royal to be anything special, so I'd love to know if their other products carry the same quality as the Northern Harvest does, for example.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Thinking of buying another bottle, anyone got any thoughts about Evan Williams?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Control Volume posted:

BiB 100 Proof, white label? Great price, for a decent mixer. I personally don't drink it straight, but you can't really beat the price.

biggfoo
Sep 12, 2005

My god, it's full of :jeb:!

obi_ant posted:

BiB 100 Proof, white label? Great price, for a decent mixer. I personally don't drink it straight, but you can't really beat the price.

Yeah the white label is one of the best values in bourbon and only a couple dollars more than their standard offering.

Costco's local to me are carrying an Old Forrester twin pack of 100 proof and the 1920 for about what the 1920 goes for in brick and mortar here. Picked one up and it was a huge difference in how much I liked the 1920 and disliked the normal. Will be an ok mixer but didn't care at all for it straight. Had high hopes with how good of a value their standard rye is.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Elijah Craig had silicone molds for making spherical ice cubes in their holiday pack and I couldn't help myself, it's a novelty but fun.

Control Volume posted:

The 1783 is not bad at all, it's inoffensive and definitely good enough for drinking neat. It's also my go-to cooking bourbon, sweet enough to pass along the bourbon flavor but not so rich it might put anyone off. I always keep a handle in the cupboard.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Any opinions on Speyburn 10yr here? My local Costco has it for like $22

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012

Rock My Socks! posted:

Its Distilled at Speyburn-Glenlivet distillery. Fruity on the nose and slight caramel, light fruit on the palate and some smokey neatness.
It isn't the most complex drink in the world but for 22 bucks why not?
Some times you just need to sip on something that doesn't need a ton of attention or want something on ice/for a cocktail. This will do it all pretty well

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Rock My Socks! posted:

Been awhile but memory tells me it was thin, lacking flavor. Not bad, just not pleasurable. Might be alright if you wanted a mixing scotch.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

biggfoo posted:

Yeah the white label is one of the best values in bourbon and only a couple dollars more than their standard offering.

Costco's local to me are carrying an Old Forrester twin pack of 100 proof and the 1920 for about what the 1920 goes for in brick and mortar here. Picked one up and it was a huge difference in how much I liked the 1920 and disliked the normal. Will be an ok mixer but didn't care at all for it straight. Had high hopes with how good of a value their standard rye is.

Yeah, I had the same thoughts on the OF100 (the "Signature" version of OF). It's aggressively mediocre, especially next to Wild Turkey 101, Buffalo Trace, or OGD Bonded. The 1920 by contrast is the real deal even at $50.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
Yeah, I can’t believe Breaking Bourbon praised it so highly. They seem to be OF fanboys regardless.

OF is very hit or miss imo.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Nov 21, 2019

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
My local shop had some Midwinter’s night dram on the shelf last night at $76, which I think is the lowest I’ve seen. I wonder if high west dropped the retail price on it a bit.

They also have some of the new Maker’s Mark RC6 that I’m deciding whether to pickup or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
I know someone who regularly drinks Johnnie Walker Red on the rocks and want to buy him a bottle of something nicer for Christmas that isn't just JW Black. What's something under $60 that's an upgrade to JW Red but with a similar kind of flavor profile?