Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
Or one where their people keep getting arrested in Tijuana for getting in drunken bar fights. Can't stop them from doing that in the US, but you can dictate that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

A Bad Poster posted:

Or one where their people keep getting arrested in Tijuana for getting in drunken bar fights. Can't stop them from doing that in the US, but you can dictate that.

How would this be different from any other Marine unit.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Or his LT may know this kid is dumber than usual and knows if he goes to mexico he'll either come back married or with the clap.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

CainFortea posted:

Or his LT may know this kid is dumber than usual and knows if he goes to mexico he'll either come back married or with the clap.

Why not both? :v:

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

There’s a band along the border that marines are blanket banned from without a really good reason like having family there. Travel to any foreign country requires additional authorization for your leave request and all sorts of other hoops.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Back when I first enlisted AF or maybe DOD banned you from entering Mexico from a border town. You were ok to fly in, and maybe cross at one of those huge crossings, but that was it. All the idiots in my basic flight wanted to barracks lawyer the poo poo out of that and kept the what ifs? going for a good 5 minutes while the guy teaching the class just wanted to move on.

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures
Or maybe he wants to avoid a wedding of a cousin or some other such gathering and told her that his unit forbids travel to Mexico

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

When we sailed from Norway to the US (San Diego) in '07 to participate in CSSQT, we were specifically told not to go to mexico. The very first weekend two junior officers wound up across the border during/after a night out drinking :v:

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

throw to first drat IT posted:

Or maybe he wants to avoid a wedding of a cousin or some other such gathering and told her that his unit forbids travel to Mexico

Wouldn’t that be giving the Marine too much credit?

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
She said that the Trump administration had banned travel for all parts of the armed forces to Mexico because of the wall or something. I was like 'WHAT? REALLY?'. I suppose her son is lying to her about the reasoning or whatever, then. I think she just hears what he says about it. She did mention Tijuana too. (She's not a Trump supporter). Thanks for the info! I though it was too weird to be true.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

redreader posted:

She said that the Trump administration had banned travel for all parts of the armed forces to Mexico because of the wall or something. I was like 'WHAT? REALLY?'. I suppose her son is lying to her about the reasoning or whatever, then. I think she just hears what he says about it. She did mention Tijuana too. (She's not a Trump supporter). Thanks for the info! I though it was too weird to be true.

Look, you want to play dumbass telephone, you go ahead.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

redreader posted:

A (USA) colleague just told me her son can't go to Mexico because he's in the Marines. She said nobody from any of the armed forces is allowed there on vacation. Is this real?

This is the last guidance I heard.

redreader posted:

Oh yeah that's all bullshit.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Blanket ban would cause an outrage, lot of military members with family down there they visit.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

EBB posted:

Blanket ban would cause an outrage, lot of military members with family down there they visit.

You act like one more outrage would be anything other than a drop in the ocean at this point, "suport da trupes" or not.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I figure we're 2-3 blowups away from a "only second-generation Americans or older can enlist/join the military" tweet. :chaostrump:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

The level 4 red zones in Mexico are pretty much no-gos.
Which is a shame because 10 years ago I went on a cruise to Manzanillo, Acapulco, and Zihuatenejo and they were all awesome and I wish I could go back. Zihuatenejo is one of the most beautiful beaches on earth.

It was pretty weird in Acapulco to watch a Mexican navy truck patrol with 8 armed marines in the back loaded out with full helmet/armor/rifle plus an officer.
There were also cops with rifles patrolling on foot up and down the beaches in Manzanillo.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

I’ve visited family in Baja but usually I just said I’m taking leave to CA since it requires so much extra hoops at most commands. There definitely isn’t a blanket ban though. I couldn’t go to a wedding in El Salvador though.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/GlytchTech/status/1187857619240701958?s=20

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

canyoneer posted:

The level 4 red zones in Mexico are pretty much no-gos.
Which is a shame because 10 years ago I went on a cruise to Manzanillo, Acapulco, and Zihuatenejo and they were all awesome and I wish I could go back. Zihuatenejo is one of the most beautiful beaches on earth.

It was pretty weird in Acapulco to watch a Mexican navy truck patrol with 8 armed marines in the back loaded out with full helmet/armor/rifle plus an officer.
There were also cops with rifles patrolling on foot up and down the beaches in Manzanillo.

Yeah a buddy of mine took his family to (can't remember the name but a gulf coast Mexican tourist city) last year. He's at the resort and like "this is loving fine what's the problem with Mexico?".

He went for a walk one day and got three blocks back from the beach and walked into a military checkpoint that among other things had dudes on mounted M2s on top of permanent fortifications. They politely turned him back to the beach.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

Memento posted:

Yeah a buddy of mine took his family to (can't remember the name but a gulf coast Mexican tourist city) last year. He's at the resort and like "this is loving fine what's the problem with Mexico?".

He went for a walk one day and got three blocks back from the beach and walked into a military checkpoint that among other things had dudes on mounted M2s on top of permanent fortifications. They politely turned him back to the beach.

I spend a fair amount of time in Baja over the years and bit in the DF (Mexico City) and things are generally fine. Near either border it if you are trafficking drugs is a bad idea. It's not abnormal to see moderately armed police in those and the tourist areas. I don't feel any more in danger in Mexico than I do in most of Central America and definitely safer than parts of SE Asia.

I'm also a moderately sized white dude, so that may have something to do with it, but I usually travel with my wife. Seeing cops with rifles and military is usual in a ton of the world. The cartel stuff is a poo poo show though and is really our fault.

Ruining a lot of great countries and countless lives because of puritanical ideals.

(Your buddies story kinda stinks, I can't think of a tourist area that's isn't surrounded by towns swarming with tourists, both the good and bad types.)

I'll be back in Mexico for a few weeks in the next few months. I'll take more pictures.

bird cooch fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Oct 27, 2019

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

In further military news from the idiot-in-chief.

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1188958893923278849

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/officials-cringe-trump-spills-sensitive-details-al-baghdadi-raid-n1073001?cid=sm_npd_nn_tw_ma

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
So, maybe we should do something about that "President can unclassify anything they want whenever they want" thing. I guarantee you that Donny has no idea what is or isn't classified and what is or isn't tactically sensitive, we've seen as much evidence to that point over the last 3 years. Just makes the "buttery males!" thing that much more galling.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

A Bad Poster posted:

So, maybe we should do something about that "President can unclassify anything they want whenever they want" thing. I guarantee you that Donny has no idea what is or isn't classified and what is or isn't tactically sensitive, we've seen as much evidence to that point over the last 3 years. Just makes the "buttery males!" thing that much more galling.

The solution to that is impeachment and removal, but here we are I guess.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
It's simple, place President Smoothbrain's live speeches on a five minute delay. When he says something classified, just play Yakety Sax until he's back to talking about himself and his ~tremendous~ properties.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Volmarias posted:

The solution to that is impeachment and removal, but here we are I guess.

Yeah, this is the main problem. All of the legislation you'd need to deal with Trump is predicated on "What if a senile narcissist with a long criminal history and designs on fascism was compromised by Russia and became the president?" There's a lot of problems before the point of revealing classified intel if someone like that can get to that level of authority.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

I never imagined how much of our government was founded on the principle that we have an adult incharge capable of discretion

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Stravag posted:

I never imagined how much of our government was founded on the principle that we have an adult incharge capable of discretion

The entire existence of the Electoral College comes from a belief that the fair and intelligent electors would never elect someone like Donald Trump, even if it went against the will of the people.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

chitoryu12 posted:

The entire existence of the Electoral College comes from a belief that the fair and intelligent electors would never elect someone like Donald Trump, even if it went against the will of the people.

Guess we showed them ! Make it idiot proof and we're gonna make several hundred million more idiots

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Stravag posted:

Guess we showed them ! Make it idiot proof and we're gonna make several hundred million more idiots

If you make something an idiot can do, you end up with idiots doing it.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

BIG HEADLINE posted:

It's simple, place President Smoothbrain's live speeches on a five minute delay. When he says something classified, just play Yakety Sax until he's back to talking about himself and his ~tremendous~ properties.

Just replace all of his speeches with Yakety Sax.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Stravag posted:

I just want to empty quote this forever.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

A Bad Poster posted:

Yeah, even if you made it so the president wasn't allowed to unclassify anything they want, the only way you could enforce that would be impeachment, and you'd still be left with the problem that the president's party isn't willing to do that even though the president in question is a glaringly obvious threat to national security.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Stravag posted:

It's based on the premise that congress would impeach such a person, which they won't do because senate is locked because state are gerrymandered to gently caress because courts are packed. There.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

evil_bunnY posted:

It's based on the premise that congress would impeach such a person, which they won't do because senate is locked because state are gerrymandered to gently caress because courts are packed. There.

How does gerrymandering affect the Senate?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

McNally posted:

wyoming exists

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

McNally posted:

As stated above, Wyoming.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modifiable_areal_unit_problem

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Our system of checks and balances functions on the honor system lmao

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Of course, you can turn also turn hyperdimensional gerrymandering into a powerful data analysis tool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

shame on an IGA posted:

wyoming exists

Wyoming is not an example of gerrymandering