Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Mordiceius posted:

As a new Yakuza player, it feels like Majima being "a thing" is only a recent development with these remakes. I don't know what anyone who played the original games even had to latch on to wrt Majima.

hes great in 2 and 3, barely around in 4, a more human side to him in 5 and then it was pretty much 0 that did it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Saw this posted in the Playstation store thread

univbee posted:

Just a heads up that Yakuza 7 is listed on some Asian PSN versions with English included, but the actual director of the English localization is pretty sure that's a listing error (either that or he has to get the lead out) and that their version releasing January 16th will only include Chinese localization.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Only slightly related but anyone UK should check out Giri/Haji on iplayer. It'll be on netflix next year. It's a BBC/Netflix drama set between Tokyo and London about a Tokyo cop who is sent to London to find his yakuza brother, who was presumed dead a year ago.

Entirely up the street of any fan of these games tbh. I don't know what they were thinking even commissioning it for the bbc, let alone airing it as a weekly thing, because no fucker is going to watch it.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

eating only apples posted:

Only slightly related but anyone UK should check out Giri/Haji on iplayer. It'll be on netflix next year. It's a BBC/Netflix drama set between Tokyo and London about a Tokyo cop who is sent to London to find his yakuza brother, who was presumed dead a year ago.

Entirely up the street of any fan of these games tbh. I don't know what they were thinking even commissioning it for the bbc, let alone airing it as a weekly thing, because no fucker is going to watch it.

how the hell am I supposed to remember to do that a year from now

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Going through my screenshots folder, found this beautiful Haruka drawing* from the start of Kiwami 2 :3:

* Or maybe it was a gift from Majima!

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Stairmaster posted:

I'll remind you :thumbsup:

To reiterate: if you're in the UK or able to be in the UK via some sort of virtual private network you can watch it right now on iplayer!!

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Also did sega change any of the encounters in kiwami because they seem a lot smaller than the ones in zero and the guys throwing knifes really seem like something from 2005.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

So, finished Ch. 11.

So, the Jingweon don't gently caress around, and they just killed my only lead. Majima is in the hospital, Ryuji and his Omi punks are all over my hometown, and the Tojo leadership got capped hard.

What am I going to have to punch to save the day here? It best be loving crazy.

PhoenixFlaccus
Jul 15, 2011

KFC Famous Bowl

Stairmaster posted:

It's available via torrents as well. On an unrelated note, I'm halfway through the first episode and engaged so far.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

PhoenixFlaccus posted:

It's available via torrents as well. On an unrelated note, I'm halfway through the first episode and engaged so far.

shhh

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Stairmaster posted:

Also did sega change any of the encounters in kiwami because they seem a lot smaller than the ones in zero and the guys throwing knifes really seem like something from 2005.

While all of the games have some large encounters, the general random fights didn't really get big until 5 and Zero. 5 Especially you fight massive groups of weak dudes you totally destroy pretty regularly, and it has way more random people walking down the streets also. I was surprised they didn't keep that up in Zero since it was something they seemed pretty happy about in 5.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Vikar Jerome posted:

hes great in 2 and 3, barely around in 4, a more human side to him in 5 and then it was pretty much 0 that did it.
I think the inflection point between Majima the straight-up psychopath and Majima the wacky sidekick is actually Dead Souls, which came between 4 and 5. It seems like the RGG guys just decided they liked the version from the spinoff joke game and poof it's canon.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

SubG posted:

I think the inflection point between Majima the straight-up psychopath and Majima the wacky sidekick is actually Dead Souls, which came between 4 and 5. It seems like the RGG guys just decided they liked the version from the spinoff joke game and poof it's canon.

uh thats cool, been thinking of which rgg game to play next and the only ones i have left to play in my collection are fotns, binary domain and dead souls so maybe i'll boot that up.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Don't do it it's bad

Play FOTNS instead it's great

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Vikar Jerome posted:

uh thats cool, been thinking of which rgg game to play next and the only ones i have left to play in my collection are fotns, binary domain and dead souls so maybe i'll boot that up.

All of those are good. Binary Domain is fun but... kind of not at the same time. Dead Souls is Not Fun whenever you're shooting a thing but the plot is amazing and hilarious so if you can tolerate endless bad gunplay sections it's worth playing for every other part of it. It has karaoke and hostesses.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

History Comes Inside! posted:

Don't do it it's bad

Play FOTNS instead it's great

Dead Souls has the best karaoke in the entire series and some other fun stuff in it so for a big series fan it's definitely worth playing a bit of. It is pretty rough though. One thing that helps is that they designed the aiming around you tapping the lock on button, then tapping the shoot button right after. If you time it right you automatically get a head shot.

Also Dead Souls is the only game in the series where you actually go INSIDE Kamuro Hills!!!!! :aaaaa:

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
you go in Kamurocho Hills in 5, like near the end

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
Play Dead Souls so you can appreciate Binary Domain even more.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
VIRTUAL ON IS A loving BULLSHIT GAME AND DRAGS THE QUALITY OF KIWAMI 2 DOWN BY ITS MERE PRESENCE

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

no

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Completed Judgment Chapter 4 after putting the game down for a while. RIP to a real one, I loved that rear end in a top hat.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

is kiryu related to either of the kenshiro's?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Other than the intro to Osaka castle being goofy as hell, chapters 10-13 of Kiwami 2 are all A+++++.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Osaka castle is the most Yakuza thing in the whole game, stop hating

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

History Comes Inside! posted:

Osaka castle is the most Yakuza thing in the whole game, stop hating

I loved everything inside Osaka castle. But the original shell splitting in half while another castle rises from the ground is the dumbest fuckin thing.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Mordiceius posted:

I loved everything inside Osaka castle. But the original shell splitting in half while another castle rises from the ground is the dumbest fuckin thing.

I still say Yakuza 4's twist takes the cake on that. At least the castle is fun in its ludicrousness. 4 just takes a crap on logic and ruins a character's development.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Holy gently caress the ending to Kiwami 2 loving rules.

Crappy Jack posted:

I still say Yakuza 4's twist takes the cake on that. At least the castle is fun in its ludicrousness. 4 just takes a crap on logic and ruins a character's development.

Could you give me more details on that behind spoiler tags? I’m curious.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Mordiceius posted:

Could you give me more details on that behind spoiler tags? I’m curious.

rememeber majimas brother Saejima? turns out those guns were all loaded with blanks(unbeknowst to him) and another guy came in afterwards and executed all 18 of those guys.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Mordiceius posted:

It's phenomenal. It's the absolute peak of macho bullshit and really shows just how thickheaded kiryu is

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
let it be known that despite everyone saying Kiryu has never killed anyone he 100% without a doubt beat Ryuji Goda to death

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

But what about the highway chase in Yakuza zero

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Gameplay doesn't count, idiot

Also, rubber bullets. Rubber cars. Rubber helicopter.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
Rubber explosions.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Okay but... What about majima is he free of sin?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Stairmaster posted:

rememeber majimas brother Saejima? turns out those guns were all loaded with blanks(unbeknowst to him) and another guy came in afterwards and executed all 18 of those guys.

I think if I have one criticism of the franchise (other than, y'know, how women usually get treated) it's that they always feel deathly terrified to let protagonists do anything that might be even a little sketchy beyond "beat people up" or "cause property damage while beating people up".

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Nothing says "never killed anyone" like ramming someone's head into a brick wall and then kneeing them at the base of the skull to convince them to reform their misguided ways. It's just tough love.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Stairmaster posted:

Okay but... What about majima is he free of sin?

he is a good boy

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Blockhouse posted:

I think if I have one criticism of the franchise (other than, y'know, how women usually get treated) it's that they always feel deathly terrified to let protagonists do anything that might be even a little sketchy beyond "beat people up" or "cause property damage while beating people up".

It feels just like the sort of retcon that would happen in a long running comic book series but it's in the same game that created Saejima to begin with so instead it's insane.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Stairmaster posted:

Whoa, that's nuts. And I heard that there's supposed to be a time machine at some point in this series!

Well, Yakuza 4's gonna unlock in two days. Any advice/suggested Substories that's not in here? https://beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=Yakuza_4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

RareAcumen posted:

Whoa, that's nuts. And I heard that there's supposed to be a time machine at some point in this series!

Well, Yakuza 4's gonna unlock in two days. Any advice/suggested Substories that's not in here? https://beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=Yakuza_4

SUPER DUPER IMPORTANT: For completing different characters' combat training missions, you're gonna get three pieces of armor. When you wear them all together, it helps you resist bullets. Do NOT start the finale of the game without giving all three of those pieces to Tanimura, the cop. It will increase your enjoyment of the game 1000%.