Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Special secret anti-Oko tech: just concede as soon as you see him if you're fairly certain that you can't deal with him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

The hyperbole always makes me laugh. Everything is always "The worst ever."

I haven't been this checked out of a set in a while so I've been trying to figure out why. The Camelot + Fairy Tale mashup as done really poorly for sure.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Me lazy. Post good brawl deck.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Eldraine lore is hella lame once you look into it. King gets turned into elk, people accidentally hunt him, step mom loves the planeswalker twins, everyone hates Oko. They had a cool little world to build upon with a mystical forest and a 5 realm color alignment for the kingdom but the story went no where. Figures because the writer is some fanfic WotC forums poster.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Doltos posted:

Eldraine lore is hella lame once you look into it.

Let's be real, MtG lore isn't as lame as looking in to MtG lore.

Kjermzs
Sep 15, 2007

Zero VGS posted:

edit 2: also wtf the deck building screen counts "Consecrate // Consume" as a 6+ CMC card lol

I wasn’t expecting this myself after a long break and being the first time I’d play with split cards but the CMC of Consecrate // Consume is indeed 6. I learned this when I was playing a deck with Azor’s Gateway and Expansion // Explosion.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
That was a change made a few years ago because it was too good to be able to choose between CMC values of the same card.

Funkdreamer
Jul 15, 2005

It'll be a blast
I thought it was weirder that you could cast the sorcery halves of split cards with Torrential Gearhulk, even though it can only target instants

Split cards bad

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Eej posted:

The Camelot + Fairy Tale mashup as done really poorly for sure.

:frogout:

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

There's like vague hints of story with the knights going out on some quest for... one of the kingdoms? and then there's Fairy Tale stuff along the way they gotta get through.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Eej posted:

There's like vague hints of story with the knights going out on some quest for... one of the kingdoms? and then there's Fairy Tale stuff along the way they gotta get through.

The novel is kind of okay but the fairy tale stuff is basically stapled on even there. It's more a flavor of supernatural stuff rather than specific events. Like when weird magical things happen in Eldraine, instead of medieval horror ala Innistrad it's stuff that's a little more whimsical like a gingerbread man coming to life or a bunch of fairies play pranks on you but can easily be just as malicious as Innistrad's happenings.

It's not Magic the Shrekening though.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/VTCLA1/status/1188300114974117888

When's that BR announcement

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It’s a magical kingdom populated by fairytale creatures, I don’t understand what you’re supposed to grok? I don’t need a sweeping and expansive history. It’s a single set that’s self-contained and I feel like trying to eek out a plot misses the forest for the trees so to speak. Eldraine is a cool place. It’s full of cool stuff and magic goings on, I completely buy fairies and elves and trolls are fuckin’ around while all these knights are trying to do some stupid poo poo. Magic is worse when the storyline takes center stage, like the last 4 years of Hasbro presents: The Marvel Superbest friends team.

Like ever since Lorwyn I’ve just completely divorced the cards from whatever stupid bullshit is in the books, they seem written by people who have no idea why the cards are fun or exciting.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Eej posted:

I don't really care about the actual storyline, I thought you were talking about the setting.

Even if I didn't like most of what they did flavor-wise (I did), it would all be worth it for Oathsworn Knight existing.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Story is part of the setting as it ties the cards of the set together.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I feel like the tone and style and mechanics tie the cards together way more, in that those are all the pets the players interact with during the game.

The storyline is easily the most ancillary part of the game buy a hilarious margin.

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

Behind you! A three headed monkey!

College Slice
Merfolk secretkeeper was a huge fuckup in MTGA drafts

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
It's not! Coming off the strongest two-colour setting in Magic it's pretty stark the difference in card identity. Dimir and Izzet both have mono Blue cards but the art/mechanics and sometimes flavour text strongly define them as part of the established setting. Ravnica has a ton of background done already so all they have to do is refer to it or increment on it further with cards while new sets like Eldraine have to develop the setting and tie cards to it in one go. They definitely failed in that regard because the most recognizable cards are the ones that refer to fairy tales and you understand them from that perspective and not in any way that they are tied to Eldraine itself as a setting.

Also ban Oko.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Arglebargle III posted:

Me lazy. Post good brawl deck.

Jace, Wielder of Mysteries

36 Persistent Petitioners
24 Island

... that's not a joke it'll clear the brawls fine with its actually okay winrate.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I never lost a brawl to petitioners with a Torbran red deck but they're probably okay against something else. I've been playing it a lot because it's fast wins and I think I'm at about 45 wins 8 losses.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Petitioners will beat slow decks that don't draw removal.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

zoux posted:

Ah ok, I was just trying to find them earlier.

Unrelated, it's been about 4 mos. since the London Mulligan rolled out so has it been better, worse, or about the same as the vancouver

Also forgot to link this but it does address how strong London Mulligan is with Simic specifically Why Standard Sucks and How to Prevent It

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i had no idea all the knights were supposed to be an arthur reference, but i knew i'm in a grimm rear end world as soon as i saw the first bunch of eldraine cards, which makes that reference good.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
I know the whole "Put Pioneer in MTGA" complaint has been repeated a lot, but honestly I feel it should be done for the good of the game, both in player base and in profit. I think the best way to implement this is have something called "Pioneer's Trail".

The Pioneer's Trail would last 40 weeks. Every two weeks, a new set would come out from the top-down (First two weeks is Hour of Devestation, then Amonkhet, then Aether Revolt, etc.). I think this would give enough time for programmers to develop the older sets (seeing how we know Kaladesh is in the game). You can buy the packs like you buy any other packs, and there will be a sealed and ranked draft for each set for those two weeks. You can play the cards in Historic (because no one uses it) as a means to report nay bugs or whatnot. Once Return to Ravnica is launched, then we'll officially have Pioneer in MTGA.

It won't happen, but I just like to come up with ideas... :(

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
you see absolutely nothing wrong with releasing entire sets every two weeks?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Squinky v2.0 posted:

Merfolk secretkeeper was a huge fuckup in MTGA drafts

Yeah they really warp the format. I had a loving terrible record today in 7 drafts except for the one where I went all in on mono blue control/mill which won me 7 games. In other news, I really need to figure out how to draft other decks for Eldraine, because my record is way way worse than it was for m20.

After drafting way too much, I threw together a brawl deck with Tajic as my commander, just slapping in whatever cards seemed good, and went 5-4. There's absolutely a better version out there, but the Chandras did a lot of work for me.

odinson
Mar 17, 2009
Besides insta-conceding to an Oko deck, I didn't lose once with this. I wanna say CalebD made it. Didn't have any Hellkites, so I put in the Cavalier.

Commander
1 Torbran, Thane of Red Fell (ELD) 147

Deck
1 Bonecrusher Giant (ELD) 115
1 Raging Goblin (ANA) 43
1 Tin Street Dodger (RNA) 120
1 Tibalt, Rakish Instigator (WAR) 146
1 Spear Spewer (RNA) 117
1 Slaying Fire (ELD) 143
1 Skewer the Critics (RNA) 115
1 Cavalier of Flame (M20) 125
1 Shock (M20) 160
7 Seven Dwarves (ELD) 141
1 Scorch Spitter (M20) 159
1 Sarkhan the Masterless (WAR) 143
1 Runaway Steam-Kin (GRN) 115
1 Robber of the Rich (ELD) 138
1 Risk Factor (GRN) 113
1 Rimrock Knight (ELD) 137
21 Mountain (ELD) 265
1 Castle Embereth (ELD) 239
1 Mask of Immolation (M20) 151
1 Light Up the Stage (RNA) 107
1 Legion Warboss (GRN) 109
1 Lava Coil (GRN) 108
1 Heartfire (WAR) 131
1 Grim Initiate (WAR) 130
1 Goblin Banneret (GRN) 102
1 Fervent Champion (ELD) 124
1 Experimental Frenzy (GRN) 99
1 Ember Hauler (M20) 137
1 Dwarven Mine (ELD) 243
1 Chandra, Fire Artisan (WAR) 119
1 Chandra, Acolyte of Flame (M20) 126
1 Cavalcade of Calamity (RNA) 95
1 Torch Courier (GRN) 119

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

flatluigi posted:

you see absolutely nothing wrong with releasing entire sets every two weeks?

No I do. It's just wishful thinking on my part.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I really did not Grok how Oko could just turn off almost every midrange creature ever with minimal opportunity cost or get to 8 loyalty on turn 4.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

ChrisBTY posted:

I really did not Grok how Oko could just turn off almost every midrange creature ever with minimal opportunity cost or get to 8 loyalty on turn 4.
What's worse, on the draw aggro vs Oko and then elk their Grazer which puts up a real feisty wall in your way

Or Elking your opponent's Ensnaring bridge game 1

Or elking your opponent's moxen to trigger your oath of druids next upkeep?

It's Oko all the way down. This card is an order of magnitude worse design than I originally thought.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

I'm surprised no one is playing Bioessence Hydra in more decks with Oko. With any PW in the field, especially Oko, it's just a massive creature that it still a massive creature if Elk'd by an opposing Oko. I guess just being a big guy with trample can't cut it these days. :(

Sjonkel
Jan 31, 2012
66.6% of the decks that made day two in the Mythic championship qualifier ran Oko. Even the Simic flash deck had 2 main deck Oko's (and 2 Mystical disputes). Obviously this isn't the MC5, but it's way more lopsided than that was. I wonder if it's just an immediate response to the Golos ban, and people playing mainly on Arena basically having 36 hours to play in the new meta, or if this will be the new standard going forward.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Cool deck. Although, Ignite the Beacon with only 3PWs seems a little risky. Then again I guess if you draw it early you probably hit two, and if you draw it late you're probably in a good spot most of the time anyway. Why Mortify over Murderous Rider, just wildcard shortage?

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I expect the meta to self-correct and I don't expect another snap ban like fields but Oko is going to be a capital-P PROBLEM for as long as he's legal.
When Return to Zendikar came out I complained how almost everything in the set was designed conservatively and I used this card as my key example.

Every single number on this card skews conservative. What happens if this card is a 4/4 for 2GB that makes 2 Eldrazi Scions? Good, but probably nothing that would have broken standard.
Oko is the exact opposite, every single number is pushed. Oko would have been very playable at 2GU with a +1/0/-7 and 3 starting loyalty.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Insurrectionist posted:

Cool deck. Although, Ignite the Beacon with only 3PWs seems a little risky. Then again I guess if you draw it early you probably hit two, and if you draw it late you're probably in a good spot most of the time anyway. Why Mortify over Murderous Rider, just wildcard shortage?

I put in Ignite the Beacon just to have a 5 CMC card, and most of the time it seems to hit two.

I actually do have Murderous Riders, I guess I can try those out. I'm usually cutting it close with life so the life loss is risky. Mortify hits stuff like Fires and Cavalcade so that can be helpful. But yeah, do whatever makes sense.

Also the deck works well in Brawl with Kaya as commander, since it has so many one-ofs.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/bryango/status/1188293103272247296?s=21

https://twitter.com/efropoker/status/1188200539856633856?s=21

https://twitter.com/bazardebagda/status/1188251455792254976?s=21

https://twitter.com/meddlingmage/status/1188145404975685633?s=21

https://twitter.com/braunduinit/status/1188203079402848256?s=21

https://twitter.com/sickofit/status/1188134456118235136?s=21

This is basically 99% of MtG Twitter right now, with the 1% being posts about how Brawl is fun.

I was playing Brawl at my LGS last night and we have a pretty solid team of Grinders headed to Atlanta for the SCG event soon and their play testing is Sultai food with 2-3 Vraska and 2 Noxious Revival main for Oko in the inevitable food mirror.

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Oct 27, 2019

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
Yikes, that looks real bad. I wonder what the conversion rate for Oko was.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Eej posted:

Also forgot to link this but it does address how strong London Mulligan is with Simic specifically Why Standard Sucks and How to Prevent It

I like how this dude complains about giving green every piece of the color pie and then as examples, naming multicolor cards that are green and then the appropriate color for whatever he is complaining about.

Like he is right in a lot of points but that is silly

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Sinteres posted:

Yeah they really warp the format. I had a loving terrible record today in 7 drafts except for the one where I went all in on mono blue control/mill which won me 7 games. In other news, I really need to figure out how to draft other decks for Eldraine, because my record is way way worse than it was for m20.

there's actually a lot of tools for good aggro decks, the key is focusing on stuff that lets you push damage through when your opponent has some blockers out. stuff like Ardenvale Tactician, Faerie Guidemother, pump spells, equipment, etc. Gingerbrute + Rosethorn Halberd is a nasty combo that lets you get in for 3 unblockable damage starting on turn 2 (with the additional upside that you should be able to get both cards quite late. Gingerbrute being a viable one drop that goes into any deck does a lot to help out aggro archetypes.

If you're drafting any sort of midrange, you need to be doing it with the secretkeeper deck in mind. G/B is the only midrangey deck i've seen do well because it's got plenty of big boys to attack through an 0/4, and 1-2 tempting witches to give you some reach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

I like how this dude complains about giving green every piece of the color pie and then as examples, naming multicolor cards that are green and then the appropriate color for whatever he is complaining about.

Like he is right in a lot of points but that is silly

I don't know that it is because Green is now the colour that has easiest access to all the other colours (because it has the best fixing) while also being the colour that has access to the most abilities by itself, so the fact it can trivially access multicoloured cards that compensate for its weaknesses becomes more of a problem. Like I thought that one of the reasons Hydroid Krasis and Oko are frustrating is that they can both do things Green should be bad at without you needing to invest too much in Blue mana, because you only need a single pip of it and you can get that from Green cards anyway. And in the case of the Krasis it's worse than that because Green is the colour of ramp, and so it becomes better in a heavily G deck despite being a massive flyer that draws lots of cards.