Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Thank you so much for doing that! Yeah those prices are about what I would pay on Amazon, so I won't bother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I need some tips for Japan, maybe you guys can help.

We will be in Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Hiroshima and Fukuoka.

I would like to try Kaiseki in Kyoto. This seems a very expensive idea, judging from what I find on Google. Can anyone recommend a nice restaurant where we would get away with 100$ per person or less? I just don't feel comfortable spending more on something I don't know whether we will enjoy it.

Also what are some things we should try? Ramen, Udon, Takoyaki, Okonomiyaki and Suhsi are on the list, but is there some lesser known dish/baked good we should not miss out on?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Hopper posted:

I would like to try Kaiseki in Kyoto. This seems a very expensive idea, judging from what I find on Google. Can anyone recommend a nice restaurant where we would get away with 100$ per person or less? I just don't feel comfortable spending more on something I don't know whether we will enjoy it.

Go down the list, they'll all be good: https://tabelog.com/kyoto/C26100/rs...t=D&sort_mode=1

Hopper posted:

Also what are some things we should try? Ramen, Udon, Takoyaki, Okonomiyaki and Suhsi are on the list, but is there some lesser known dish/baked good we should not miss out on?

Kushiage in Osaka I guess: http://www.dotonbori.or.jp/en/shops/68

Here's my foursquare list, I'm in Tokyo and the list is long on non-Japanese food, but fwiw: https://foursquare.com/user/53160958/list/restaurants

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

For sure go to Daruma. The one in Shinsekai is best. Okonomiyaki have in both Osaka and Hiroshima, the styles are different.

Burnt miso and burnt shoyu ramens at Gogyo in Kyoto are not to miss. Go to a couple of izakaya and yakitori places. If the independent izakaya are daunting there are chain ones with English menus and stuff, they're not bad. I'm sure there are izakaya which will look at whitey rolling in and get annoyed but I have never had that happen personally, I've been to a bunch of non-tourist local ones and people were always friendly and willing to deal with my extremely limited Japanese. Alcohol really helps deal with the terror of A Foreign appearing where it is unexpected.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I had the best sushi of my life at Daiwa, right by the Toyosu fish market. Go there as early as you possibly can, it's absolutely worth it.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Yakiniku Blackhole in Kabukicho, Tokyo.

Eat all the meats

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Try tsukemen as an occasional alternative to ramen.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Thanks for all the tips, I will make notes and try to fit it all in the trip (and my belly).
Our hotel is right in Dotonbori, so Daruma is definitely a thigh we will do.

Hopper fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Oct 9, 2019

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Johnny Truant posted:

I had the best sushi of my life at Daiwa, right by the Toyosu fish market. Go there as early as you possibly can, it's absolutely worth it.

We have teamlabs tickets for 11 on a saturday, which is around the corner. Did you queue a long time? I am thinking of being at Daiwa at 8 before teamlabs. That gives us about 2.5 hours, would that be feasible?

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Hopper posted:

We have teamlabs tickets for 11 on a saturday, which is around the corner. Did you queue a long time? I am thinking of being at Daiwa at 8 before teamlabs. That gives us about 2.5 hours, would that be feasible?

We got there at about 700 if I recall, and we waited for probably 60 minutes? But our wait was a bit weird cause a politician from Taiwan was sort of campaigning? And he and his entourage cut the entire line, haha.

We also went during the week, which may affect the timing? Having 2.5 hours I think should be fine, though. Once you get seated, assuming you get the omakase(get the omakase), you'll be in and out in 45 minutes.

I'm envious though, we found out about teamlabs a little late and couldn't fit it in our schedule. Looks amazing!

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Hey, not be all forums cop and poo poo, but there is a tourism thread that might have a bit more traffic and all: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3758863

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I know, sorry. But I needed advice on Japanese Food only and I don't ask for food advice outside GWS. :tinfoil: All I'd get would be fried chicken and burger recommendations...

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Cool, well my advice would be don't eat at Team Labs.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I recommend Ichiran ramen to anyone who goes to Japan. Easy, all over the place, cheap, memorable, very good, fit it in anywhere.

For expensive restaurants the two best I had was a michelin 3 star in Hiroshima (Nakashima) and sushi Nakamura in Tokyo (both foreigner friendly).

Yakitori and teppanyaki are very pleasant dinners as well. Yakitori Torishige in Tokyo was expensive-ish but great.

You may want to fit in some katsu as well, but it's a pretty casual thing you can fit in anywhere.

There's a neat vegetarian restaurant in Kyoto called Shiraian which is up a hill I would recommend if you're up for a fancier lunch.

But the absolute must have is Okonomiyaki in Hiroshima. Do not miss this. I went to Hasshou but I'm sure there are other places.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Oct 11, 2019

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

I enjoyed Katsukura for tonkatsu. You can choose the breed of pig!

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Narikura? In Takadanobaba?

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Hello,

The local California Japanese market is selling super high quality matsutake at $15.99 per pound, so I am spending a lot of time learning how to make a bunch of dishes with it!

I bought a giant pack of like 8 for $8.00 yesterday. The flavor is as good as any expensive matsutake at a ryotei you get in Japan.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

That's a sweet price. I love matsutake.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Currently in Japan and enjoying it a lot. Thanks for all the food tips.

I am looking for Weipaa, as I want to being some home. I haven't found any in conbinis so I probably need to check a proper grocery store. Any tips what grocery store names I could look up in Tokyo, Hrishima or Fukuoka?

Mykroft
Aug 25, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

Hopper posted:

I am looking for Weipaa, as I want to being some home. I haven't found any in conbinis so I probably need to check a proper grocery store. Any tips what grocery store names I could look up in Tokyo, Hrishima or Fukuoka?

“OK store” is a grocery chain I’ve gone to during trips when we wanted more choice than the combinis offer, glancing at google maps there’s a decent amount throughout Tokyo. What part of the city are you staying in?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Hopper posted:

Hanamasa (肉のハナマサ) is a restaurant supply oriented place that'll have that and other stuff in p decent amounts/prices.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I've recently fallen in love with sushi vinegar (and therefore sushi rice), but there's no way I'm gonna deal with raw fish on my own, since I'm not an expert. Any good recipes that use seasoned rice with cooked ingredients? Some sort of easy oshizushi, maybe?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

You can just sub cooked fish. It will tend to flake but you can avoid that by doing a chirashi bowl. That's usually how I sushi at home anyway since it's less work and my skin is apparently just like flypaper for rice.

With raw fish though you can just like, slice it up. It doesn't actually take ten years of apprenticeship. Get good fish, slice at an angle against the grain.

I am going to start experimenting more with curry and dug up a kind I really liked in Kanazawa. This is the recipe: https://cookpad.com/recipe/3925448

The translation is simple enough except a few ingredients:

黒蜜 black honey - I have no idea what black honey is.
ブーケガルニ(ハーブパック) bouquet garni - I know what a bouquet garni is but what herbs would a Japanese recipe mean?
チャツネペース chutney paste - Again, chutney is like 500 things so what is a Japanese recipe most likely referring to?

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Oct 28, 2019

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Grand Fromage posted:

黒蜜 black honey - I have no idea what black honey is.

黒砂糖 (basically molassas sugar) mixed with honey.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
IIRC from Japan, it's probably mango chutney? I bet bouquet garni is just bouquet garni.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Found Weipaa in a shopping center in Hiroshima with the help of a local, thanks for the tips though, will check them out for more food related items.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
My partner and I have tried Japanese whisky a few times and always really like it, but never thought to ask what type/brand we were having.

I'd like to get her a bottle (or maybe 2?) for Christmas, but I'm not sure where to start. Neither of us drink regularly, so I'm guessing we probably wouldn't like something really, really strong.

We also really like old fashioneds if that makes a difference.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
nikka coffey grain whisky is nice and smooth. i'm not a a huge whisky person, but i find it very easy to drink.

hibiki harmony has a bit more bite and a bit more smoke to it. these days it's hard to find at a reasonable price

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
if you can find a bottle of hibiki 12yr grab it with both hands and run

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

I would guess that Suntory whisky would be easy to find outside of Japan.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Helith posted:

I would guess that Suntory whisky would be easy to find outside of Japan.

Yes, but why would you want that? :barf:

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
For mixing highballs, of course

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Suntory Toki is pretty tasty and cheap is you want to mix

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
Also I’ve never seen Kakubin (which is the standard “Suntory whisky” and is a fine highball component) for sale outside Japan, but don’t know why you wouldn’t want a bottle. All their other whiskies are too expensive now as intros (but are generally good to great, though I prefer Nikka’s single malts). Toki’s a good rec as an intro.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Basically if you can find any of the majors like Yamazaki, Hakushu, Hibiki, or Nikka with an age statement it's going to be good. Nikka Coffey Malt seems to be the easiest thing to find, I see it everywhere. Haven't tried it but I hear good things. Chita and the generic Suntory are the only ones I've had that I didn't like.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Every time I've had Suntory whiskey, it's tasted like a liquified burning tire, but I also only like really peaty whiskies. Whiskeys. Whiskys? ugh BURNING BOG JUICES.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Oh, I didn’t know that Suntory was really bad, I’m not a whisky drinker so I suggested it because it’s a big brand and I reckoned it’d be easy to find in a lot of countries.
Go with the brands that the others are recommending instead!

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Helith posted:

Oh, I didn’t know that Suntory was really bad, I’m not a whisky drinker so I suggested it because it’s a big brand and I reckoned it’d be easy to find in a lot of countries.
Go with the brands that the others are recommending instead!

nah, suntory comprises a bunch of brands and most of them are good so i think dude's tastebuds are just broke

i've tried a ton of their bottlings and none of them taste anything like burning tires

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

This is the one I was talking about :

I've had worse, but it's not remarkable in any way and there's no reason to make an effort to find it. Every other Japanese whisky I've had is better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
Totally. That's Kakubin ("square bottle"), it's for highballs (and is good in that context). Sucks compared to Yamazaki/Hakushu/Hibiki/Toki (I haven't had Chita), but is also like $10/bottle in the convenience store. It is not the worst Japanese whisky I've had, because Nikka Black exists.