Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

MikeCrotch posted:

Him yelling at Ray about not composting Correctly was also great

Every phone call to Pat needs to be reconsidered, unless you are telling him that he's a freestanding rear end in a top hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruptured Yakety Sax
Jun 8, 2012

ARE YOU AN ANGEL, BIRD??

MikeCrotch posted:

Its an AFFRONT to the DIGNITY of SOIL!

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Archyduchess posted:

I've always liked how Pat's character development, aside from his coming out of course, was mostly just Onstad refining what was initially a more or less generic cranky dweeb rear end in a top hat into something very very specific and very very damning of a certain kind of Californian in a certain moment in time. I still often think of the phrase "gravity sensible skitter-cart" and as somebody who was vegan in the aughts I get a shudder of recognition from all the made-up health food brands in his blog.

Blogs pat had silent swing dancing and the vegan restaurant disaster, and was thus the best version of the character.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Shakespeare was the genius he was because he paired porpentine with fretful

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Archyduchess posted:

I've always liked how Pat's character development, aside from his coming out of course, was mostly just Onstad refining what was initially a more or less generic cranky dweeb rear end in a top hat into something very very specific and very very damning of a certain kind of Californian in a certain moment in time. I still often think of the phrase "gravity sensible skitter-cart" and as somebody who was vegan in the aughts I get a shudder of recognition from all the made-up health food brands in his blog.
I think the most Pat possible moment is when he finally admits to himself that he's gay

and... absolutely nothing about his overall behavior changes, just the exact issues he's being an rear end in a top hat about

"And, from the chrysalis, emerged...the caterpillar. [SFX - the sharp, short bleat of a cornet]"

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Ruptured Yakety Sax posted:

Do you have an apple for a brain?

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

davidspackage posted:

Do you have an apple for a brain?

Don't go to the beach, davidspackage! Stay OFF the beach!

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

pats weird and intense hatred for barbers is my favorite pat thing.

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

Roobanguy posted:

pats weird and intense hatred for barbers is my favorite pat thing.
When I make paper, I'm gonna tear your throat out with a pair of salad tongs. My old man's a barber, you son of a bitch!

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
I swear to god there was a strip where someone mentions drinking 'til they can't pronounce a certain word but I cannot for my life find this strip. Please someone help me prove I am not insane.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

PantsOptional posted:

I swear to god there was a strip where someone mentions drinking 'til they can't pronounce a certain word but I cannot for my life find this strip. Please someone help me prove I am not insane.

http://achewood.com/index.php?date=10292004

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Blogs pat had silent swing dancing and the vegan restaurant disaster, and was thus the best version of the character.

Don’t forget pat placing the mailman under citizens arrest

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
There. What's it like to have a chainsaw.

http://achewood.com/index.php?date=10232007

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

God bless you

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Ruptured Yakety Sax posted:

Dude, I put my extra cheese and nasty hard tortillas in an area. They get all rotty. A fly has a baby. Dirt is born.

Share this moment with me.

Johnny Aztec posted:

There. What's it like to have a chainsaw.

http://achewood.com/index.php?date=10232007

You're MAD at me! SHAME on you! is what passes for American political discourse these days

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
gently caress I just stumbled across the strip where Ray pretends to be Mickey Mouse on the pine to Philippe by tugging on one nut with a piece of string

So many moments

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

MikeCrotch posted:

gently caress I just stumbled across the strip where Ray pretends to be Mickey Mouse on the pine to Philippe by tugging on one nut with a piece of string

So many moments

Right. "Mick". Love that dude. Love. That. Dude.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Party Boat posted:

Don't go to the beach, davidspackage! Stay OFF the beach!

Ha ha! I's just kidding about all that. This is Davvo Spookles! I'm a crazy Finnish inventor, and I'm unhappy with my current long-distance carrier!

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

The most Pat moment was that time he was hiding from the jail break, and then deciding he has to kill Roast Beef because the latter made a comment about sucking his hog off, so he went to Lyle to get a gun, nearly offing Cornelius accidentaly, only to run away, lying to a child. The day after he's calling a radio station to complain about Mexicans taking too long getting out of cars.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Archyduchess posted:

http://achewood.com/index.php?date=12232005
Forget what you know about craveless nori!

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
"armpit hair and a 91 Jetta" is about as spot on as a cultural reference can be

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

MikeCrotch posted:

So many moments

Ray doesn't like to pull that trick out too often.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

"I told you that story, so I could tell you this one" gets some play "I WANT SOME drat EMERIL FOOD" and "PUT BUTTER ON WHAT I SAID" gets more

EDIT: and of course "You can do whatever you want in life", but that kind of goes without saying in this thread

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

CannonFodder posted:

http://achewood.com/index.php?date=12232005
Forget what you know about craveless nori!

I know I've often suffered the consequences of craving nori too much.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

"I told you that story, so I could tell you this one" gets some play "I WANT SOME drat EMERIL FOOD" and "PUT BUTTER ON WHAT I SAID" gets more

EDIT: and of course "You can do whatever you want in life", but that kind of goes without saying in this thread

"I told you that story, so I could tell you this one" is an older stand-up segue between bits that got used a good amount, the alt text is another insertion of dated pop culture references. Not that it isn't still a good one, just not an original for the comic.
:goonsay:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

MikeCrotch posted:

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

surc posted:

"I told you that story, so I could tell you this one" is an older stand-up segue between bits that got used a good amount,

specifically Bill Cosby

Lemma
Aug 18, 2010

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

My life depends on periodically recalling “GO EAT THAT hosed UP WAD OF poo poo IN THE BREAK ROOM!”

This is the quote that made me realize the Key to Comedy Without Context is Smuckles’ lines said in Hank Hill’s voice.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Who is ready to get super gothic with me tomorrow, I got the bath filling now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKRJfIPiJGY

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

(I had to undertake a loving quest to find this GIF. I mean, jesus. The Internet almost let me down there.)

MMAgCh fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Oct 31, 2019

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

MMAgCh posted:

(I had to undertake a loving quest to find this GIF. I mean, jesus. The Internet almost let me down there.)

Ray Smuckles COME ON SHOW ME HIM GOTHIC DANCING - you, recently

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
https://twitter.com/achewood/status/1189721986424918016

I don't want it badly enough to spend $250 on it but man this would be cool to own

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh
Is there a more early-2000s-internet phrase than (requires QuickTime)

yes; 56K FRIENDLY

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Moe_Rahn posted:

Is there a more early-2000s-internet phrase than (requires QuickTime)

yes; 56K FRIENDLY

Remember to degauss your monitor.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013
AOL keyword...

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

https://twitter.com/achewood/status/1189978801704337408

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Release the rest of the comics as Dark Horse hardcovers! :argh:

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

I follow him on Twitter. In the past few weeks he's been posting more Achewood stuff, and not just his usual paintings that are artsy portraits of his characters, but actual new drawings. Wonder if he's got the Achewooditis again? Who knows how long it'll last of course.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
He was doing stuff with his kid, now these are just him. I think he's realizing there's still a market, and he's striking while the iron is hot.

But all that needs to be said has been said.

Jerusalem posted:

Release the rest of the comics as Dark Horse hardcovers! :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

he's pretty engaged with fans, sometimes posts on the FB group- he's known there's been a market for a while and I don't think that's grown substantially lately

maybe it's wishful thinking, but I don't think he can stay away for long