Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Monkeycheese
Feb 24, 2002

ninja minúsculo
I have no particular fondness for Kevin Nash, but that pic almost has to be from when he was rehabbing something from one of his quad injuries or similar. So could be atrophy from inactivity.
If not then holy shitballs...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Benne posted:

Brock Lesnar got a ton of hype in OVW for doing the SSP at his size, they built it up as a huge moment for his Mania main event against Angle ... and then he landed right on his loving head and never tried the movie again.

brock chose to go to the furthest corner to try it, he absolutely would have landed it if he weren't trying to do a ssp from 3/4s a ring away.

in conclusion, wrestlers are dumb

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

on the other hand, if brock had hit that SSP from forever away, we'd still be posting that poo poo today screaming about how amazing it is. more wrestlers should try to be like real world superheroes and do insane gravity-defying poo poo imo

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Aye Doc posted:

real world superheroes
WWE's commentary about Ricochet has ruined this for me forever.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

shiksa posted:

brock chose to go to the furthest corner to try it, he absolutely would have landed it if he weren't trying to do a ssp from 3/4s a ring away.

in conclusion, wrestlers are dumb

Pretty sure Brock was told to go to it because it was the hard camera facing "hero" one, which would let Dunn line up the camera that would catch it straight on much more easily (one of the most consistent things of WWE's shooting style for decades is that the entire drat thing is centered around and built off of that particular turnbuckle). The cut from hard cam to the one that catches him drat near break his neck is very prepared, he probably even did a dry run of it earlier that day before they let people into Safeco for Vince and Dunn in order to get the timing on the cut down. It's just that they made a bunch of mistakes, starting with Kurt being so far away instead of Brock maybe dragging him a little closer - but that could probably be due to Brock being very nervous all match about loving Kurt's neck up since Kurt probably shouldn't have even been working with it. And then he got to the top rope, looked at the distance, and probably figured "I can still make it". Plus, the rope was apparently a little slippery, so a combination of nerves, less than great grip on the rope, being locked into that turnbuckle because Dunn can't actually improvise new camera positions on the spot, and a little bit of assuming you're such a genetic freak that you can easily compensate for a guy being like thirteen feet away instead of ten leads to Brock almost killing himself.

Wouldn't surprise me if someone asked him if he'd still go to that corner if he didn't have to worry about the hard cam he'd probably say "hell no! I would have just gone to the other corner."

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Ahem, there is only one genetic freak, and it isn’t Brock Lesnar :colbert:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I don't know if Brock would go to the other corner, simply because he's about as WWE a product as you're gonna get. Trained in OVW (which is basically a studio show) and then basically only WWE except for the cup of coffee in New Japan.

fatherofmustard
May 15, 2018

What led to the decline in popularity of women's wrestling in Japan?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Kevin Nash‘s Legs couldn’t have gone That thin without atrophy, so it’s probably a rehabilitation photo. Especially since he’s on a trainer table.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

fatherofmustard posted:

What led to the decline in popularity of women's wrestling in Japan?

it was a combination of a lot of things, lots of splinter groups popping up which caused the fan bases to dilute and stars leaving/retiring young because of archaic rules and policies some of the bigger promotions had (a common one was being forced to retire when you reached the ripe old age of 26), but most importantly the japanese economy took a horrific hit in the 1990s and money in the joshi feds were some of the quickest to dry up, AJW, the main joshi promotion, seemingly overnight losing nearly their entire roster and a key tv time slot on local television. this probably wasn't helped with the rising popularity of UWFi and pancrase, which led to pride just basically taking over wrestling's spot in the culture popularity wise.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Forcing wrestlers still at their peak to retire so young is one of those attitudes I just fail to understand. Aja Kong is still active and cool for goodness sake!

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

forkboy84 posted:

Forcing wrestlers still at their peak to retire so young is one of those attitudes I just fail to understand. Aja Kong is still active and cool for goodness sake!

Because certain aspects of Japanese culture (see: old men) think if women aren’t married and pregnant by 26 than they’re spinsters.

Considering how the women’s wrestlers were basically treated the way pop idols are, it’s no wonder the prevailing attitude was “retire at 26.”

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Anyone else ever wear their Bullet Club shirts out and have gun nuts come talk to you about well... guns? I wore my Halloween one out to a Halloween themed dog shelter charity and one guy in a "Don't Tread On Me" shirt decided I was his kinda people.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

TheKingslayer posted:

Anyone else ever wear their Bullet Club shirts out and have gun nuts come talk to you about well... guns? I wore my Halloween one out to a Halloween themed dog shelter charity and one guy in a "Don't Tread On Me" shirt decided I was his kinda people.

Should’ve worn a Pancake Power shirt.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

TheKingslayer posted:

No, but I did have a waiter at a Denney's recognize Ambrose's WWE symbol on my jacket once. Dude had an old AJ Styles Bullet Club shirt on under his uniform button up.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

TheKingslayer posted:

No but I get too-sweeted every now and then at fairs and amusement parks. And once in a gas station bathroom

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
Conversely, a nWo shirt is a good way to attract leftists, for some reason. You haven't lived until you've been too-sweeted by a Hoxhaist.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
Weird, vague question. I have been kind of interested in wrestling for a while, but I don't know what's the most accessible way to watch some. WWE doesn't look too appealing, but NJPW seems like there's a lot of hoops to jump through. If I don't have cable, what a good way to watch some? AEW has something called AEW Dark I think on their YouTube channel. Is that worth trying?

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

You could get NJPW World which is basically a network service you can get on any smart tv so I wouldn't say that's too hard.It's cheap too and you just hit a button and the entire site is in english. Very easy from my use.

Sling is $15 per month 1st month and $25 a month after that and it comes with TNT so that's your AEW right there.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

aew dark is probably a pretty good place to get a taste for some matches more or less in a vacuum. you could also try nwa powerrrr on youtube which is like an intentionally old school pro wrestling presentation but it will have more promos and interviews interspersed among the matches to drive storylines. the core product for aew is gonna be their weekly tv so without cable youd have to find other solutions for that (its on fite.tv without ads for $5 a month if you can move your computer out of north america for a couple hours every week). new japan is not actually that difficult to follow between njpw world and their youtube but it is kind of a... denser product? so it can be very rewarding but you probably want to be sure that you like wrestling first

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Weird, vague question. I have been kind of interested in wrestling for a while, but I don't know what's the most accessible way to watch some. WWE doesn't look too appealing, but NJPW seems like there's a lot of hoops to jump through. If I don't have cable, what a good way to watch some? AEW has something called AEW Dark I think on their YouTube channel. Is that worth trying?

With New Japan the only real "hoops" are that their streaming service's website design is... very bad. They've been steadily making steps toward making it easier and easier for western fans to get into the product though, most notably with the mere existence of said streaming service and live english commentary on all of the big shows and most of the small ones.

AEW Dark is basically just AEW taking something that's existed in wrestling for ages, "dark matches" (untelevised stuff put on before or after the TV show for the live crowd) and putting them on youtube every week. I'm not watching every episode but there was an extremely good match from episode 2 or 3 with one of AEW's main players and a beloved indie darling so yeah it seems like it's going to be worth keeping up with for the forseeable future.

The rules thread and OP of this one have info on all the different services and ways to watch different companies.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
Okay, thanks everyone.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
NJPW also put up a free match every week on Monday both on World and on their YouTube channel. It's usually a marquee match from a few years ago, so it's a good way to take the temperature of if the product is for you.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Gaz-L posted:

NJPW also put up a free match every week on Monday both on World and on their YouTube channel. It's usually a marquee match from a few years ago, so it's a good way to take the temperature of if the product is for you.

Yeah, the New Japan YouTube page is really good for two things, the Monday free match (that is just updated on Mondays, you have a week to watch each new match) and translated post-match (you can usually hear the next match starting) promos in front of a sponsor wall in front of (fake???) media.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

karmicknight posted:

Yeah, the New Japan YouTube page is really good for two things, the Monday free match (that is just updated on Mondays, you have a week to watch each new match) and translated post-match (you can usually hear the next match starting) promos in front of a sponsor wall in front of (fake???) media.

It's probably real media. Japan still has stuff like weekly pro wrestling magazines, that's a sign that people are still interested in reporting on it.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Draxion posted:

It's probably real media. Japan still has stuff like weekly pro wrestling magazines, that's a sign that people are still interested in reporting on it.

On balance you a probably right, it is just that they don't really act as anything but props for the promos rather than actually doing post-game interviews.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

It is real media, the guy Naito often makes fun of writes for Tokyo Sports (I think) and they're old friends.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Why did WWF go public? Was it related to XFL, were they raising capital for another reason, or was it just a late 90s "we're making money so let's make an IPO and make even more money!" kinda deal?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Maxwell Lord posted:

Why did WWF go public? Was it related to XFL, were they raising capital for another reason, or was it just a late 90s "we're making money so let's make an IPO and make even more money!" kinda deal?

vince loves money

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

It was most definitely the latter, and also another way that Vince could pretend he was legitimately like his old money neighbors because he has a very big mental block over being accepted by them that he will never get rid of because he will never, ever will be.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Arn't his old money neighbors dead by now?
Or is he getting shade thrown at him by their children?
I will at least take some small comfort in knowing that Old Money Senpai will never notice Vincent Kennedy McMahon.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

ChrisBTY posted:

Arn't his old money neighbors dead by now?
Or is he getting shade thrown at him by their children?
I will at least take some small comfort in knowing that Old Money Senpai will never notice Vincent Kennedy McMahon.

The money was old, not necessarily the neighbours.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I also love (read: hate) that once you hit super rich status Toil Culture inverts.
You earned your money? Ewwwwwww.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
What's the best sign ever held up on a Monday show, and why is it this

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

forget the PUBES sign, what the hell is going on with that Canadian flag? Did he let his 6 year old draw it?

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Jonny Nox posted:

forget the PUBES sign, what the hell is going on with that Canadian flag? Did he let his 6 year old draw it?

it's a weed leaf friend

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

haheah. the proportions are all off on that piece of poo poo.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Cavauro posted:

haheah. the proportions are all off on that piece of poo poo.
turn your monitor on

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Not signs, but I always appreciate life-sized cutouts of wrestlers slowly rising up on the hard camera, especially if it's a giant head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

my monitor has a matte screen and does not reflect anything. gently caress this. plus i was using it to type on here. got any more clever remarks.