Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
Our goalie has never gotten a shutout.

We were up 5-0 with two minutes left. I hosed up a simple clear and put it right on the other teams' stick and they scored soon thereafter. :smith:

Never felt so bad about a win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheJetCityFix
Feb 3, 2004

Errday I'm Russellin'

z0331 posted:

Our goalie has never gotten a shutout.

We were up 5-0 with two minutes left. I hosed up a simple clear and put it right on the other teams' stick and they scored soon thereafter. :smith:

Never felt so bad about a win.

He's gonna poo poo in your helmet

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

TheJetCityFix posted:

He's gonna poo poo in your helmet

Is it the helmet now, instead of the glove? My friend wants to know the current protocol.

Got my Hockeystickman twig last week. Jesus christ P28 curve, where have you been all my life? Plus the thing is so freaking light I felt bad using the plug, but I'd fan on every shot if I didn't. I'm getting another as soon as one comes around.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
I tweaked my hip flexor again playing Rat Hockey, so there's no way I'll be able to play in tonight's game. I know a ton of exercises for it that I got in physical therapy the last time I aggravated it, so hopefully it'll feel better in 8 days for my next game. :smith:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

a mysterious cloak posted:

Is it the helmet now, instead of the glove? My friend wants to know the current protocol.

Apparently you need to be making GBS threads in their bags.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

No half measures, motherfucker.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
Peewee sports parents are just the worst.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Bantam

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

What I can't figure out is how all these hockey players have one in the chamber after a game.

Is the pre-game poo poo not typical?

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Luckily we only have a couple of parents that are idiots. The worst is a pear-with-legs mom/grandmother that yells "get it out of there" (regardless of where the puck is), and "wipe him," which I assume has something to do with... checking?

xzzy posted:

I mean, I guess if you're gonna do it, go all the way... :stonk:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Team bag-making GBS threads is naturally the next step after glove-making GBS threads and stick breaking.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

xzzy posted:

"Need to make a statement about who they're playing."

Morons. They're playing genuine, full-on morons.

Tank44
Jun 13, 2005

We want the ball & We're going to score
What's your take on playing hard till the final whistle in a blowout game?

We were up 7-0 after 2 periods. In the third we didnt pinch, werent too aggressive, and we played to work the clock (goalie stopped icings)... then there is this one guy on the team with 0. Early third, goalie covers the puck and he gives 3-5 extra whacks... Late third, goalie covers the puck and he gives them a snow shower. Then in last 10 seconds, I get the puck in our end and just skate to the corner with it to end the game - he comes up and hits me from behind and works for the puck. I give him a shot and a WTF, he replies to play to the end of the game which i replied "the game ended in the 2nd".

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

When we're losing badly I'll stop caring about the game and more on working on personal improvement. Main mission of "skate hard" is the same but I'll be a little more willing to try risky plays and try different stuff.

Harassing the goalie is stupid in beer league no matter what the score is. :v:

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I take it easier when up by a lot. There's no need to forecheck hard or hack people like a maniac when the score is out of hand. If we're losing by a lot it's similar but I might play a little harder just out of frustration.

Offensively don't be a dick and go end to end and poo poo if you're killing a team. Try to pass it around a bit.

But in general I try to play clean since it's beer league and we all have jobs so regardless of the score or circumstances I never throw hits or do anything dirty. Play hard, sure, but keep it clean. Anyone hitting in beer league is a loving rear end in a top hat regardless of the score. If you want to use your body a little to lean on guys and play hard in the corners that's fine but just don't throw actual checks.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Had my first game of this season and am recovering from having the flu last week plus some lingering respiratory infection of some sort that has me coughing like a coal miner. I felt like I didn't have much gas, my hands felt sloppy as did my skating and I kept finding myself out of position.

I had a few good chances, a few good carries and made some good passes and plays but I just couldn't find the back of the net. We lost 3-2 but overall it was a fun game. I tweaked my hip in a way that made it hurt pretty bad, especially when trying to accelerate. I hurt it between seasons while dirt biking when I did the side splits by accident. I'm going to start doing yoga in an effort to strengthen my core and focus on some weak parts of my body while also improving overall flexibility.

gently caress getting old.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
After three games, our team is 1-1-1.

Perfectly balanced, as all things should be.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I don't love everything about where I live but I do love paying eight bucks and having a great sheet of ice to myself for 90 minutes on a Friday lunch hour

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I’ve had the pro shop working on my left skate for the past couple weeks due to a pressure point at the ball of my foot. I get to the rink yesterday, grab the skate from the shop, and go get dressed.

And then notice that I forgot the other one at home. gently caress.

I could have driven home to get it and missed the first period, but due to :effort:, I just grabbed a rental skate for that foot. Hoooo boy, it felt like I was wearing one goalie skate. I couldn’t push off, I couldn’t stop, and I couldn’t turn on my right foot. That was loving awful.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Was skating hard for a loose puck at the same time as an opponent going in the opposite direction. My stick got wedged between my arm and his leg and fortunately for both of our limbs, the stick snapped first. My elbow got hyper-extended a bit and felt really wonky for like 10 minutes, but it's been fine since then.

Fortunately, hockeystickman.com still has my preferred stick/flex/curve, so I ordered a couple more. Hopefully they arrive by my next game in 8 days.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

I got to try mine out the other day, whizzed a puck about an inch away from the goalie's ear on one shot and a bunch more went high over the net.

P28 curve is hilarious fun.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

a mysterious cloak posted:

I got to try mine out the other day, whizzed a puck about an inch away from the goalie's ear on one shot and a bunch more went high over the net.

P28 curve is hilarious fun.

I use a P29, which like the P28 is also a mid-toe curve. I love the control on my wrist shots and being able to roof the puck when up close, but my slapshots have a habit of flying over the crossbar.

TheJetCityFix
Feb 3, 2004

Errday I'm Russellin'
I scored my first ever goal tonight, and followed that with two assists! That felt really good 😊

Anyone know where I can get a free 14 day trial of LiveBarn so I can rewatch the play I scored on?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Our sub goalie ate poo poo hard as he stepped on the ice tonight. No he didn't leave the soakers on, enough rust had built up on the blades he had no edge.

I was right behind him when this happened and he was all "I'm a bit rusty" and I made some bullshit reply like "haha we'll warm you up it's like riding a bike right?" and then he was all "no, i mean, my skates are rusty." He's a very good goalie he's just been skating out a lot the past year so his goalie gear wasn't seeing much use.

There were several rusty stains on the ice near the door where he scuffed the edges to get back down to metal.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
we had an actual glove drop fight last night. our guy was a good player who had fought a lot in juniors, their guy was a bad player who had never fought before. our guy landed like 5 uppercuts and that was that. after he peeled off the other guy's cage, which was lol

then they scored on the ensuing power play to go up 2. and we were down to two guys on the bench. and I thought we were hosed.

then we scored 4 goals in a row to win.

fights win games folks

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS

xzzy posted:

Our sub goalie ate poo poo hard as he stepped on the ice tonight. No he didn't leave the soakers on, enough rust had built up on the blades he had no edge.

I was right behind him when this happened and he was all "I'm a bit rusty" and I made some bullshit reply like "haha we'll warm you up it's like riding a bike right?" and then he was all "no, i mean, my skates are rusty." He's a very good goalie he's just been skating out a lot the past year so his goalie gear wasn't seeing much use.

There were several rusty stains on the ice near the door where he scuffed the edges to get back down to metal.

Glenn asked me to sub, but I was busy getting pounded by Sticky Bandits. I kinda told my wingers off today because half of them played like never evers.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah it's been a rough season, our full time goalie is dealing with cleaning up a concussion so we've been begging for a sub every week.

We did fine, other than it being the weasels who always seem to be better than us no matter how many ringers we recruit.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
...I mean it's right here in their name

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS
Our league got really tough this season. Feels like every team but mine got a ton better.

Also, I am not smol goalie

I have no idea why I was standing like that.

My stick discipline has been bad lately, I need to get some time to work on it or I may need to shift down from a 27” paddle length. Also gloves should be a bit further forward/up. Knee bend could be a bit deeper, but doesn’t seem bad.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
here lies duke.

thought of ice and died.

https://i.imgur.com/mkC8fAB.gifv

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Frankly the biggest issue I see with never ever goalies is dropping to their knees and staying there. I get it, popping up and down is impossibly hard work when your lovely defense is yielding 69 shots a period, but so many times I see dudes trying to shuffle across their crease on their knees and getting beat because they have no mobility.

The rest of it.. glove positioning? Paddle flat on the ice? That's certainly important against better shooters but with the quality of skaters I see in D3 just getting in front of the shot is all you gotta do.

Not saying you're guilty of any of this, I don't think I've ever studied your play with enough detail to know your tendencies but that's what I see most often in the league.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
My favorite are the old dudes who can't be assed to get back up until several seconds after the puck has cleared the zone.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I feel like a lot of bad and/or low level goalies I see don't battle hard enough. I know that sounds cliche to say but if you watch the really good goalies they battle their rear end off on every puck and never quit on the play.

I'd guess that's probably because they're less self conscious of their technique and positioning and more confident in what they are doing so battling just becomes second nature when they don't have to worry about technique or positioning as much as a less experienced goalie.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

also they’re tired and not as flexible because new goalies don’t have that strength

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
Literally everyone on my team is able to make tonight's game. I think that's the first time it's ever happened. 15 skaters. :psyduck:

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Yuck (mostly for the D men because playing 3 lines of defense suuuuucks)

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Literally everyone on my team is able to make tonight's game. I think that's the first time it's ever happened. 15 skaters. :psyduck:

One of my leagues as a full roster count of 16. I think it's the same philosophy as overbooking flights. And like overbooking flights, when everyone actually shows up, it is horrible.

Luckily that's rare, and even 15 isn't too common. I've really come around to liking having 4 D at most.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Do you guys have any tips for attacking a puck carrier and coming up with a puck (or just disrupting their play)? I'm getting dangled a lot on the forecheck and in the neutral zone.

Also just had my 5 year anniversary of lacing up and learning how to play this stupid impossible sport. Some day I may even learn how to skate properly.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Break his stick as he skates by.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Hips don’t lie. Watch them and you’ll know where the player is going.