Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!
What do you use as weapons for brawler Amara? Mostly submachine guns and shotguns? Assault rifles are ok and the right pistol can be good, but the rest seem like a poor fit if you're going to be right in the thick of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I've done Heck and killed Haunt 9 times now, and he has dropped a total of ONE legendary. And it wasn't one of the event ones. Since this event lasts until December I think I'm gonna wait a few weeks and see if they buff his drop rate or something because geez.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

DreadCthulhu posted:

What do you use as weapons for brawler Amara? Mostly submachine guns and shotguns? Assault rifles are ok and the right pistol can be good, but the rest seem like a poor fit if you're going to be right in the thick of it.

Jakobs weapons (any really) preferably with a bayonet attachment are perfect for softening enemies up before you smack em. Just get a headshot off while you're running up and Amara's powerful fisting will do the rest. Phrasing intentional.

edit: If you find a good masher revolver that'll work too for when you have to get REALLY close.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
By the way, are there any of those fancy pants part rundown graphics people made for BL2 for this game yet? I know there were some put out there officially before release but I'm not sure how extensive they were. I'd like to know what all the gun prefixes/suffixes actually mean at a glance- do they still work as they did in previous games? (Ranger revolvers having the fast breakaway cylinder reload for example)

edit: Found one for prefixes.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Oct 28, 2019

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

RatHat posted:

I've done Heck and killed Haunt 9 times now, and he has dropped a total of ONE legendary. And it wasn't one of the event ones. Since this event lasts until December I think I'm gonna wait a few weeks and see if they buff his drop rate or something because geez.

Allegedly they buffed his drop rate on Friday.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

DreadCthulhu posted:

I've always got a Facepuncher and a 120% melee pistol, which I think all the COV weapons can get? I've found blue 120% COV pistols and even a Linoge with the same. The deal is that COV pistols have melee attachments in two locations instead of one so they can both spawn on the same weapon.

Outside of that I float around with whatever. Like I've got a Cutsman but I hate Maliwan charge time so I usually don't bother with it.

Highest Cactus
Jul 25, 2007

News: Mysterious illegal cookies seized. "Tastes terrible," says police.

DreadCthulhu posted:

Usually Jakobs weapons with +melee damage bonuses. Throw around a few headshots to soften people up with the ricochets, then punch their heads clean off their shoulders

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Finished the game tonight on my first run through. I know there's TVHM and Mayhem and a whole buncha poo poo to get into but I kinda just wanna jump to trying the other vault hunters. Although amusingly I still never actually touched the other action skills for Fl4k I just used Fade Away the entire game it was so good and satisfying. Can't decide between Amara or Zane to play around with next.

Random Story Thoughts for those that care:

As a whole I don't think it's as good as BL2 but it has a lot of nice individual set pieces. I found the Promethea and Eden-6 plot arcs to be really enjoyable since they are more detached from the overall plot.

Tannis having inherited Angel's Siren powers is okay I guess. I just mostly struggle to consider why Angel would've chosen Tannis of all people since I don't think they ever even interacted with each other much at all if ever. Tannis has been a mainstay of the entire series though and I'm glad to see her be so plot relevant so I'll give it a pass. Maya's death still felt cheap and Ava... exists I guess.

Typhon was surprisingly enjoyable to tag along with for the brief bit of time he was around although the whole revelation of him being the idiot twins' dad doesn't really land well since it comes so late and so quickly after meeting him.

I've voiced my irritation before and Lilith being pushed as the main character so hard but her blowing herself up to prevent the vault from opening feels like a good culmination of her character. Plus it resulted in some awesome as hell scenery.

Overall I'm happy with it though. I have some gripes here and there but it's still a perfectly enjoyable experience. It was extremely refreshing to have other places to run around besides Pandora and despite the vault hunters being inexplicably absent in cutscenes and mostly irrelevant to the story I'm really happy with how much speaking time they get compared to past games. Honestly I'm considering playing through as Zane next just because he's a complete goofball. Although the whole two action skill thing already feels pretty dope even at the start of the game.

It's a good fun game y'all.

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!
Yo, what's the best loot ghost farm?

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Probably one of the Circle of Slaughters/Proving Grounds.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Greenplastic posted:

Yo, what's the best loot ghost farm?

Someone was doing the part in family jewel where a bunch of dinosaurs come jumping down that large hole in the ship, seems to give a loot ghost every time.

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo
Very disappointed that Tediore's corrosive prefix isn't "Pine-Fresh" anymore.

nominal
Oct 13, 2007

I've never tried dried apples.
What are they?
Pork Pro

Jusupov posted:

Someone was doing the part in family jewel where a bunch of dinosaurs come jumping down that large hole in the ship, seems to give a loot ghost every time.

I've never noticed where the loot ghosts actually come from. Do they spawn on their own, or are they something that pops when you kill one of the enemies with a haunted aura, and if so do they have their own (presumably gold) aura color?

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

nominal posted:

I've never noticed where the loot ghosts actually come from. Do they spawn on their own, or are they something that pops when you kill one of the enemies with a haunted aura, and if so do they have their own (presumably gold) aura color?

The latter, and yeah there’s a gold aura.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Kinda hoping the Mayhem revamp includes more weird stuff that impacts the actual game like the Halloween event.

I wouldn't want it to always be this one thing, but it's been kinda fun to have a new problem appear when you kill an enemy. It's something that changes how I play, and is engaging in a moment-to-moment sense, and creates more chaos, and works with pretty much any build/gear. And it's way more interesting than resetting the map when the negative modifiers pile up to -200% damage on my preferred play style.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Everytime I go to launch the game I get the message 'quit to menu to install updates' or something to that effect. Even if I do quit back to the menu it doesn't seem to actually make the message go away and I don't see a way to manually force updates or whatever.

Now event ghosts have stopped spawning for me and I'm unsure if it's related or coincidence, it seemed like basically every enemy had a ghost in them before that. I'm half tempted to just let it continue to be bugged though because my guns kinda suck for my level and some of the fights have been really hard with all the ghost buffs on people.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Agent355 posted:

Everytime I go to launch the game I get the message 'quit to menu to install updates' or something to that effect. Even if I do quit back to the menu it doesn't seem to actually make the message go away and I don't see a way to manually force updates or whatever.

That message is regarding the hotfixes, it only applies them if you are at the main menu and are in online mode. Are you playing offline? If so it'll give you that message the first time you go to the pause menu every time you play.

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!

Jusupov posted:

Is that the room with the big waterfall?

Edit: and does the quest need to be active?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Greenplastic posted:

Is that the room with the big waterfall?

Edit: and does the quest need to be active?

For loot ghosts? I don’t think so

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I love my idiot pets as fl4k but they have a horrible habit of standing in front of me instead of beside/behind when I'm trying to loot things. Get out of the way you doofus I'm trying to read stats.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

My biggest gripe with BL3 as a whole plot-wise is the huge focus on Sirens that completely excludes Amara from having any relevance at all for anything. Like, I get that they couldn't require one of the player characters to progress, but the fact that no one at all ever at any point acknowledges her as a Siren except for incidental "kill the siren!" dialogue from enemies is... really fuckin' dumb. I'm right here! I know my siren power is "fist" but still, lemme punch a vault key to charge it or something!

Is there any change to the game in TVHM outside of the usual bigger, stronger enemies, like in TPS with the alternate narration? Without something major like that I doubt I'll be able to wrangle my playgroup into doing another playthrough.

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

Just beat slaughter shaft on mayhem 3 solo again with the help of the new anointed weapons!

https://youtu.be/Kh0kOxEl_F8

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Nighthand posted:

Is there any change to the game in TVHM outside of the usual bigger, stronger enemies, like in TPS with the alternate narration? Without something major like that I doubt I'll be able to wrangle my playgroup into doing another playthrough.

Nope, just the number of badasses. It’s really underwhelming.

wet_goods
Jun 21, 2004

I'M BAAD!
I main Moze and settled on this build.

https://bl3skills.com/gunner#000000000000050035030531012051350103110

I have 38k shields and do a poo poo load of damage with a deathless artifact, transformer, and class mod that adds a bonus to phalanx doctrine.

Are there other good Moze builds out there? I found infinite mags really lackluster and iron bear centered stuff is pretty weak too.

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

wet_goods posted:

I main Moze and settled on this build.

https://bl3skills.com/gunner#000000000000050035030531012051350103110

I have 38k shields and do a poo poo load of damage with a deathless artifact, transformer, and class mod that adds a bonus to phalanx doctrine.

Are there other good Moze builds out there? I found infinite mags really lackluster and iron bear centered stuff is pretty weak too.

Not really, but you could potentially put some points into endless mags to get to redistribution at least. I think it is super useful to have a source of fire at all times and a way to regen ammo at all times.

Here’s my build: https://bl3skills.com/gunner/#500010000000050033031501000050351123100

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I'm about level 25 now and just and it's starting to be the case where even the chaffiest enemies need 2 headshots from a sniper rifle to die and it's a real drag. Does that just persist/get worse or am I just at a point on the power curve where sniping/headshots is kinda garbage before it rounds out later?

I have the biggest dick jakobs sniper I can find and I'm specced for as much crit damage and stuff as possible. Needing 2 shots for every mook really turns into a slog.

wet_goods
Jun 21, 2004

I'M BAAD!

MarshyMcFly posted:

Not really, but you could potentially put some points into endless mags to get to redistribution at least. I think it is super useful to have a source of fire at all times and a way to regen ammo at all times.

Here’s my build: https://bl3skills.com/gunner/#500010000000050033031501000050351123100

I really wanted 8 points to spare to get the bonus fire damage in the mags tree but I found the final demolition talent to be a pretty big dps increase plus it's cool. If I dumped it and just relied on my class mod for phalanx I could do this.

It might be worth it, I use the hellwalker shotgun mostly so the bonus fire damage helps a ton.

https://bl3skills.com/gunner#500310000000050035030401001050350103000

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Agent355 posted:

I'm about level 25 now and just and it's starting to be the case where even the chaffiest enemies need 2 headshots from a sniper rifle to die and it's a real drag. Does that just persist/get worse or am I just at a point on the power curve where sniping/headshots is kinda garbage before it rounds out later?

I have the biggest dick jakobs sniper I can find and I'm specced for as much crit damage and stuff as possible. Needing 2 shots for every mook really turns into a slog.

Sniping sucks in the game. As you go, it just ends up taking more and more shots to kill someone with it. I keep waiting for a legendary sniper rifle that deals like 5000 damage for a headshot or something but never come across it. You're better off just using assault rifles with scopes.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

How valid is going for a Cryo Build with Zane? I know you can't just exclusively do one damage type or anything but I'm a sucker for ice builds in games and his shield tree looks pretty good. Also what other action skill would you pair with the shield in that sort of build?

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

Agent355 posted:

There are very few good snipers in the game. I actually used to run a headsplosion sniper back when I was still leveling my Moze. That thing was tight! But eventually settled on the Lyuda. That thing just rips at any range. Also the compressing storm and Krakatoa are good snipers.

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo

Niwrad posted:

Sniping sucks in the game. As you go, it just ends up taking more and more shots to kill someone with it. I keep waiting for a legendary sniper rifle that deals like 5000 damage for a headshot or something but never come across it. You're better off just using assault rifles with scopes.

I find snipers to be pretty good across the board, but if you really wanna get your snipe on just pick up the guardian perk that lets overkill damage carry over to the next shot and find a high damage Jakobs. Take out a couple basic mooks and you'll have enough overkill built up to one-shot anything, all you have to do is never miss. My favorite gun right now is a Jakobs with 3.5k base damage and +130% damage on clone swap anointment, I can solo M3 slaughters with it, it's kinda broken.

YoshiOfYellow posted:

How valid is going for a Cryo Build with Zane? I know you can't just exclusively do one damage type or anything but I'm a sucker for ice builds in games and his shield tree looks pretty good. Also what other action skill would you pair with the shield in that sort of build?

Brain Freeze is one of the best skills in the game and it allows you to trigger some of his other ice based skills (Cool Calm Collected and Refreshment) without actually needing to use a cryo gun, so you get the advantages of freezing without being locked in to a single damage type. You get the most out of BF when you use a high-accuracy and high-fire rate weapon (hi Dahl), this can be at odds with the drone tree because it has a number of skills that push you toward single-shot weapons. BF and CCC also let you reliably trigger duration resets on your action skills, which is really powerful, and generally more useful on the clone than the drone. All that said, the drone tree is a bit stronger than the clone tree overall so both can work.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Mayhem 3 sucks outside of farming. It should be them sending 40 bad guys at you in chaos bit instead its just a room full of 4 bullet sponges. Makes for real boring gameplay.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Mayhem is meant to force you to change up your weapons/tactics according to the modifiers, if you’re stubbornly sticking with a single weapon despite it being like 25% damage then yeah enemies are gonna be bullet spongey. This really sucks for people with very specific builds though.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
By the way the increased anointment chance isn’t ending tommorow

https://twitter.com/gearboxofficial/status/1188933958928613381?s=21

Probably not permanent but it’ll stay around for “a while”.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

MarshyMcFly posted:

There are very few good snipers in the game. I actually used to run a headsplosion sniper back when I was still leveling my Moze. That thing was tight! But eventually settled on the Lyuda. That thing just rips at any range. Also the compressing storm and Krakatoa are good snipers.

As long as there is some sort of ending viable sniper build I don't mind kinda fumbling through the midgame using whatever i happen to find but it does make me a bit concerned about the entire game's balance. The time-to-kill has been too high in every other borderlands and if they'd just fix that one problem I'd enjoy these games so much more.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Agent355 posted:

Just wait for some better stuff to drop. I’m level like 37 now and there have definitely been a few periods where I didn’t find any good drops so things were kinda tough for a level or two.

I’m curious how close I am to the end of the game: I’m getting the power core thing for Tannis so I can get into the twins’ base.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Fenn the Fool! posted:

Brain Freeze is one of the best skills in the game and it allows you to trigger some of his other ice based skills (Cool Calm Collected and Refreshment) without actually needing to use a cryo gun, so you get the advantages of freezing without being locked in to a single damage type. You get the most out of BF when you use a high-accuracy and high-fire rate weapon (hi Dahl), this can be at odds with the drone tree because it has a number of skills that push you toward single-shot weapons. BF and CCC also let you reliably trigger duration resets on your action skills, which is really powerful, and generally more useful on the clone than the drone. All that said, the drone tree is a bit stronger than the clone tree overall so both can work.

I'm having a great time popping heads with Maggie, and what isn't killed has a good chance to freeze. With a good shock gun for strong shields and youre laughing, but I also have a good Cryo Lucian's call

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Bold Robot posted:

I’m curious how close I am to the end of the game: I’m getting the power core thing for Tannis so I can get into the twins’ base.

I'd say about 80%

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Glad to hear good things about Zane's cryo stuff. Now the big problem I'm having is focusing on him or Amara next because both seem so fun. Moze is the character I'm least interested in but even then she has that massive shield tree and it sounds incredibly stupid in the best way to just make giant wall shields.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Is there any defense to the purple floating ball the annointed send out?