Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Who dis?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Overkill and Dot from the Tick

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I typically hate comic book shows and movies, but I really like The Tick and The Boys.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Ah. Haven't seen the tick. Probably need to rectify that.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

MarcusSA posted:

It 100% worked for me too till he shot lasers at the plane and lol

For me I got super confused because the “fbi agent” just said Homelander was the non-poo poo exception so obviously the guy that just lasered the plane was an evil twin or someone in a Homelander costume or he was mind controlled. I went with mind controlled until he admitted what he did.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Boris Galerkin posted:

For me I got super confused because the “fbi agent” just said Homelander was the non-poo poo exception so obviously the guy that just lasered the plane was an evil twin or someone in a Homelander costume or he was mind controlled. I went with mind controlled until he admitted what he did.

He didn't say he was the non poo poo exception he said he was squeaky clean, because he couldn't find any dirt

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?

Rocksicles posted:

He didn't say he was the non poo poo exception he said he was squeaky clean, because he couldn't find any dirt

What? No, he was just lying about him. He's already seen the evidence implying Homelander raped his wife as that's the reason he's running the boys in the first place

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Some of the Sheep posted:

What? No, he was just lying about him. He's already seen the evidence implying Homelander raped his wife as that's the reason he's running the boys in the first place

Yeah i know, that was his private info. He didn't didn't have anything he was willing to share on Homelander.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I watched it again and I think Rocksicles is right. They were talking about their vices and Butcher specifically mentions that Homelander didn’t drink or smoke so he didn’t have any public vices like the rest.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

butcher is very deliberately radicalising hughie over time because they want to compare the boys to a terrorist cell because the comics were written in 2003

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
'You played my butt like jazz' is probably the best line of the season.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Ah. Haven't seen the tick. Probably need to rectify that.

I enjoyed it and similar to The Boys it's a great satire/roast of the super hero genre.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

etalian posted:

I enjoyed it and similar to The Boys it's a great satire/roast of the super hero genre.

I got the impression that The Tick was way more lighthearted than The Boys, not that thats a bad thing.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
https://www.cbr.com/interview-garth-ennis-boys-preacher-punisher/amp/

Interview with Ennis about all his biggest IPs and their TV shows. Interesting that he says he reread Preacher when the show started production and he still stands by it and says if he’s only going to be remembered for one thing some day, he’d be happy if it was Preacher.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

AnEdgelord posted:

I got the impression that The Tick was way more lighthearted than The Boys, not that thats a bad thing.

It is and it’s been around in some form since the late 80s, I think? I loved the cartoon back in the 90s and then read through the older comics. The Tick, Mystery Men, Venture Brothers, the Boys - all different, and all enjoyable in their own way but in that same dysfunctional superhero genre.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Mystery Men (movie) seriously still holds up today, although in 2019 the irony of Hank Azaria pretending to be Indian is unfortunate, but the cast is super solid and none of the jokes are dated. There’s no antiquated cell phones or computers, it’s just a good comedy.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!
Seen the show a couple of times now, but not read the comic. Do the books ever go into more detail on the supes' origin cover story? Like, do they try to explain why God only started making superheroes in modern times? Does it ever show regular ol' people discussing conspiracy theories about this or anything?

Stretchy Christian dude did sort of seem to imply that Jesus was a supe.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

artsy fartsy posted:

Seen the show a couple of times now, but not read the comic. Do the books ever go into more detail on the supes' origin cover story? Like, do they try to explain why God only started making superheroes in modern times? Does it ever show regular ol' people discussing conspiracy theories about this or anything?

How much of the show have you watched, because you seem to not have caught a big reveal in later episodes.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Cacafuego posted:

How much of the show have you watched, because you seem to not have caught a big reveal in later episodes.

I read it as they’ve watched the whole show a couple times and had a good laugh.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!

MarcusSA posted:

I read it as they’ve watched the whole show a couple times and had a good laugh.

Yeah, I was just wondering if the big lie was any more fleshed out since "God did it, starting in the 80s [or whenever]" doesn't really hold up to any scrutiny.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
God gave 'MURICA supes and no one else cause WE ARE THE BEST NATION UNDER GOD INDIVISIBLE WITH LIBERTY AND JESTICE FER ALL :911: :patriot:

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

artsy fartsy posted:

The books are like...hyper-focused on character interactions/relationships; Garth Ennis isn't really one of those world-building comic creators.

That is, there might be some throw-away panel of regular folk discussing Supes OR a mention of a particularly dumb conspiracy theory, but I'm really straining to think of something like that.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
They weren’t only American supes in the comics, they were all over the place. I want to say there were even naturally occurring ones it’s just the book dealt predominantly with the ones Vought made themselves. There was a lot about comparing Vought to lovely weapons companies, especially comparing supes to the early M16’s used in Vietnam that had a horrifically high failure rate.

There was also a subplot about Butcher’s source of info, it’s wasn’t an ex-mentor but a Stan Lee analog. In the books Vought owner DC and Marvel and used it as PR for their properties. The standard heroes fight before teaming up to fight the villain story beat was invented to cover up the constant petty brawls the supes constantly got into.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

artsy fartsy posted:

Yeah, I was just wondering if the big lie was any more fleshed out since "God did it, starting in the 80s [or whenever]" doesn't really hold up to any scrutiny.

I believe in the comics, compound V is generally known by a lot more people and is traded on the black market like cocaine or other drugs.

The only people who believe supes have divine origin are the super-fundie 'fingers in their ears' christian types.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
The bog standard Massive Franchise-spanning teamup/storyline/event this is also spoofed since they all make this announcement that they need to hurry offworld to fight the Dickwardzians from Dimension U or whatever and it's just everyone going to a secluded island for drugs and sex which was kind of funny for 10 minutes

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

artsy fartsy posted:

Have you ever heard of Mormons?

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Stan Lee analog.

Forgot all about this character! He kinda shows up before the end and you forget about him with all the other reveals going on at that point in the story.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

artsy fartsy posted:

The origins are all over the place. A handful are said to be chosen by gods, while some like Stormfront are said to actually be gods, others are supposed to be aliens. It depends on the hero. The difference is that in the comics, Compound V isn't as tight of a secret. The average person doesn't really know about it, but a big reason that so many supes exist is that they were exposed to pollution from Vought mass-producing it. Most people get sick or die, but every once in a while it produces powers. There were also cases of people just being given the V.

Plan Z fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Oct 31, 2019

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

AnEdgelord posted:

Yeah it's a different type of genre roast and I would say it's not as mean spirited as The Boys which starts for example with the guy's girlfriend getting exploded by a tripping supe.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
The Tick (Amazon) is great and everyone should watch both seasons, it actually has more drama than you'd think, and they were building into a big reveal about Tick's nature/origin that we sadly never got. But it's just a neat show.

If you liked The Boys then really, watch The Tick. Many similar beats.

E - that show also has a really cool take on Superman, if you like Homelander

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
I don't mean he's like Homelander I mean he's a unique spin on the Superman mythos. It's a fun drat show watch it you got nothing going on.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!
I'm sad we'll never get to know what a whole drat thing it was going to be.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

I said some headphone stuff here accidentally so I thought I'd just come to say the boys is fuckin amazing and I can't wait to see Starlight show off her powers to an extreme degree because they seem to be deviating from the comics with her level of power versus the rest of the seven. It's a nice dynamic.

Also it made me realise how loving silly headphone dialogue gets I can understand it seeming like another language.

BurritoJustice fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Nov 16, 2019

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Did you just post this in the wrong thread or are you having an acronym based stroke?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
I know some of those words!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

BurritoJustice posted:

I've been using the BLONs more lately because they are very small and the most comfortable, and still have great performance. But a few days ago I tried the tuning tips on the Cayin YB04 (it comes with like twenty tips) and the bass tips give me a fantastic seal and way better comfort and I absolutely love them.

Caying knocked it out of the park with their first IEM, I'm glad to see good reviews starting to trickle in from "proper" reviewers.

It's weirdly lowered my hype for my Solis CIEMs coming at way more money, because I'm fantastically content at the moment and need the Solis to really blow my mind :)

The headphone thread is the other way friend!

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Did you just post this in the wrong thread or are you having an acronym based stroke?

My I flicked into the wrong thread with the mobile app I am very dumb

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

I am very much trying to avoid spoilers, but I just saw season and I loved it, I have two questions:

1. Does the show follow the comics, if not perfectly, then close, are they generally the same story?
2. Are the comics finished?

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Diogines posted:

I am very much trying to avoid spoilers, but I just saw season and I loved it, I have two questions:

1. Does the show follow the comics, if not perfectly, then close, are they generally the same story?
2. Are the comics finished?

2.) The comics are finished, and
1.) The ending of season 1 is already such a HUGE swerve from the comics; Stilwell was pretty much the big bad (and she was a guy). By all means, continue trying to avoid comics spoilers since there’s plenty of material they could still use, but don’t be too broken up if something gets blown for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Thank you very much.

In that instance, do you think it would be safe to read the comics without spoiling the show?