Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Ralith posted:

That's almost exactly as little information as the game itself gave me. Would it kill this game to have a map somewhere, so I at least have more than vague guesses what any of these even are?

There are maps at the starting location behind the science sausage. They're topographical and exactly as useless as a paper map is to people used to glorious Google Maps + Street View or constantly updated fancy maps like in Skyrim or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

Hellsau posted:

There are maps at the starting location behind the science sausage. They're topographical and exactly as useless as a paper map is to people used to glorious Google Maps + Street View or constantly updated fancy maps like in Skyrim or whatever.

Blurry low-contrast no-detail maps with practically zero reference points marked on them are a long way away from a real navigational map. It doesn't have to be magic or 3D, it just has to not suck.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Ralith posted:

Blurry low-contrast no-detail maps with practically zero reference points marked on them are a long way away from a real navigational map. It doesn't have to be magic or 3D, it just has to not suck.

Well yeah, the weiners who made them are experts at radio communication, logging, quantum teleportation, and bears. Not cartography.

Generic 'I had no problems figuring them out :shrug:' goes here.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Huh - Oculus is making the Link cable's hardware specs available for third parties. I guess because it's fundamentally a standard USB3 interface and optical cable there's not much point in trying to obscure it. Someone'd just make their own anyway before long anyway, may as well make money off it and ensure it's to-spec to get people buying in to using Quests as tethered PC HMD's.

As a bonus though, this should see a general rise in fibre-optic USB cables that actually work to a decent standard.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Huh - Oculus is making the Link cable's hardware specs available for third parties. I guess because it's fundamentally a standard USB3 interface and optical cable there's not much point in trying to obscure it. Someone'd just make their own anyway before long anyway, may as well make money off it and ensure it's to-spec to get people buying in to using Quests as tethered PC HMD's.

As a bonus though, this should see a general rise in fibre-optic USB cables that actually work to a decent standard.

So I know this might seem like an odd question, but could someone make a virtual "cable" that's a USB connection to transmitter on one side to a USB connection and receiver on the other?

I'd love H3VR Take and Hold, where all of the holds I physically run around my back yard. I've got a space larger than a singles tennis halfcourt so I think it's probably large enough for most of the hold spots.

Stick100 fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Oct 29, 2019

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Stick100 posted:

So I know this might seem like an odd question, but could someone make a virtual "cable" that's a USB connection to transmitter on one side to a USB connection and receiver on the other?

that's how the vive wireless works. one side is just a pcie card with a coax cable and antenna attached, the other side plugs into the headset, and when you plug the headset into a battery, windows detects a bunch of usb/audio/video devices.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
Is it possible to use Virtual Desktop on the Quest using some sort of USB wifi adapter or wifi card on my PC? I have a Google Wifi mesh system which isn't proving to be the best for power options like "separate 5Ghz fixed SSID". I don't want to get rid of the whole system as it works for my other needs, but I wouldn't mind buying an adapter to play streamed PCVR on my quest straight from my PC.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Stick100 posted:

The short answer is "just use WiFi instead" for a bunch of reasons. In the way you're thinking of, at least. The slightly longer answer is it would not be a compact dongle, because it's gotta pair with its partner, encrypt/decrypt, and have an antenna to transmit or receive over a decent distance. Probably on a frequency outside the WiFi band, and only so long as they're pointing at eachother. Your typical wi-fi adapter's a tiny dongle because it's mostly antenna with the device it's plugged into doing the actual heavy lifting.

Truga posted:

that's how the vive wireless works. one side is just a pcie card with a coax cable and antenna attached, the other side plugs into the headset, and when you plug the headset into a battery, windows detects a bunch of usb/audio/video devices.

This is about the size of what you'd be looking at, on both ends of it. On a side-note, I thought people managed to get the Quest streaming wirelessly from PC via Wi-Fi didn't they?

Chin Strap posted:

Is it possible to use Virtual Desktop on the Quest using some sort of USB wifi adapter or wifi card on my PC?

What you're wanting to do is to make an ad-hoc wireless network. Windows 7 does it natively, but you gotta do some command-line work to set one up in Windows 10.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The short answer is "just use WiFi instead" for a bunch of reasons. In the way you're thinking of, at least. The slightly longer answer is it would not be a compact dongle, because it's gotta pair with its partner, encrypt/decrypt, and have an antenna to transmit or receive over a decent distance. Probably on a frequency outside the WiFi band, and only so long as they're pointing at eachother. Your typical wi-fi adapter's a tiny dongle because it's mostly antenna with the device it's plugged into doing the actual heavy lifting.

I've used ALVR and TPCast but would be willing to pay for dedicated hardware to have a better wireless experience than ALVR. In theory it should be a much easier connection than TPCast since the Oculus software is already taking care of most of it, and all I want is to be able to send a bit of USB data with as little latency as possible.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Truga posted:

Oh yes I'm aware, at the other end the Vive wireless acts as a USB + HDMI. Since Oculus has already done much of the work with the link, all this would need to do is act as a USB. I'd gladly pay a bit of money to get a TPCast equivalent Quest experience. I've used ALVR but it adding ~60ms of latency (mostly encode/decode) I found very distracting. Worse was the controllers seem to trail even farther behind the 60ms latency, when I did a sound boxing punch I could get my hand back to my body while the controller was still punching out.

It was completely playable but felt like some kind of hand RTS where you were thinking about where the controllers were going to be a 1/2 or full second after you make the action.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Stick100 posted:

I've used ALVR and TPCast but would be willing to pay for dedicated hardware to have a better wireless experience than ALVR. In theory it should be a much easier connection than TPCast since the Oculus software is already taking care of most of it, and all I want is to be able to send a bit of USB data with as little latency as possible.

Your hypothetical USB device has to do a lot of work itself that a PC would normally do for a standardized protocol like Wi-Fi because it has to work natively with anything that has a USB3 port and be seen as a generic USB cable.

It's also pretty moot anyway, because it's also gotta draw power to process its signal and broadcast to its partner over a decent distance. That isn't gonna be pretty for the Quest's run time with it sitting in the only USB port it has.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug
Meh I'm just going to wait for Oculus Link to happen before messing around with PCVR then.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Chin Strap posted:

Meh I'm just going to wait for Oculus Link to happen before messing around with PCVR then.

:same:

I keep checking every few days to see if there’s a release date.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug
Does the deluxe audio strap mod for the Quest help for watermelon head havers like me? I have the top strap as far out as it will go, I have counterweight on the back and comfort strap up top, and it all feels... okay... but if I can get a better fit with the DAS I might do it.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Chin Strap posted:

Does the deluxe audio strap mod for the Quest help for watermelon head havers like me? I have the top strap as far out as it will go, I have counterweight on the back and comfort strap up top, and it all feels... okay... but if I can get a better fit with the DAS I might do it.

The DAS fits fine for me and I have an 8.5 helmet size. It's a bit more of a pain to remove than the stock strap but I think it's a little larger as well.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

8.5? I hope you apologize to your mother every day.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

lmao

big head crew :hfive:

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM
https://twitter.com/qtpop_twitch/status/1189229134544867328?s=21

Bunch more content coming soon but holy heck pistol whip is amazing. Seriously check it out. Saq will probably be showing up to say “ya dude it’s amazing” anytime now.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

Paingod556 posted:

Well yeah, the weiners who made them are experts at radio communication, logging, quantum teleportation, and bears. Not cartography.

Generic 'I had no problems figuring them out :shrug:' goes here.

My problem was probably that, because the first one was very distinctively positioned on top of a building in an open area, I expected the rest to be similarly prominent, not just randomly shoved behind something at ground level.

In any case, very fun game. Getting a new set of guns to play with every time really takes the sting out of dying.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

RandomBlue posted:

The DAS fits fine for me and I have an 8.5 helmet size. It's a bit more of a pain to remove than the stock strap but I think it's a little larger as well.

Curious. What snaps do you use on a snap back hat? I'm on the last dot, or second to last dot, depending on brand.

Big heads man. Big heads. :-\

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

EbolaIvory posted:

Curious. What snaps do you use on a snap back hat? I'm on the last dot, or second to last dot, depending on brand.

Big heads man. Big heads. :-\

Those generally fit more like a beanie on me, I've got a couple XL ball caps with elastic bands that fit pretty well.

The Big Bad Worf
Jan 26, 2004
Quad-greatness
I ordered a rift s a couple weeks back. My household likes VR enough that we're just going all in on an index, lol

After playing some dark games (like fnaf), eh, even the rift s contrast doesn't really bother me. Yeah the blacks look pretty gray in any full dark scene, but it's fine. My index should be getting here in a couple of days, I'm looking forward to the improved optics an adjustable ipd will give me, as well as vastly improved audio. Looks like it should be a more comfortable fit overall, too.

The Big Bad Worf fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Oct 30, 2019

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
Played a few matches of Thrill of the Fight on Quest today - man, boxing! It's hard!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

EbolaIvory posted:

Bunch more content coming soon but holy heck pistol whip is amazing. Seriously check it out. Saq will probably be showing up to say “ya dude it’s amazing” anytime now.

Oh, so it’s a rail shooter? Does it feel like a light gun game? Forced movement plus first person shooting really sounds like a light gun game and if so I’m buying it because I love me some light gun games

LIGHT GUN GAMES!!!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Oh, so it’s a rail shooter? Does it feel like a light gun game? Forced movement plus first person shooting really sounds like a light gun game and if so I’m buying it because I love me some light gun games

LIGHT GUN GAMES!!!

Yeah its a rail shooter. Which is really cool, I'm all over that idea, VR rail shooters. I'm also working on a light gun vr game but I was planning on having it be mostly in place with teleportation because I didn't want to deal with locomotion sickness issues.

Having the game constantly moving at a slow pace is an interesting approach! Its like you play the game standing on one of those airport walkways. Clever! I definitely need to get this and try it out.
Also found the devs for pistol whip randomly on twitter last week and they seem pretty chill.

I was thinking about having like, a section where you're riding on a boat, so that way you get moved around but it still feels comfortable. But this is much smarter and more complicated, lets you do melee attacks and stuff too.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah its a rail shooter. Which is really cool, I'm all over that idea, VR rail shooters. I'm also working on a light gun vr game but I was planning on having it be mostly in place with teleportation because I didn't want to deal with locomotion sickness issues.

Having the game constantly moving at a slow pace is an interesting approach! Its like you play the game standing on one of those airport walkways. Clever! I definitely need to get this and try it out.
Also found the devs for pistol whip randomly on twitter last week and they seem pretty chill.

I was thinking about having like, a section where you're riding on a boat, so that way you get moved around but it still feels comfortable. But this is much smarter and more complicated, lets you do melee attacks and stuff too.

The devs are awesome. Seriously.

You also don't feel like you're moving at all. I legit didn't notice it.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

LIGHT GUN GAMES!!!

Its a gallery shooter, set to a soundtrack.

Its like time crisis without a pedal to duck/reload. you just, duck. and reload... lol

Can't wait to push out more videos so people can see more. But yeah. Light gun game for sure.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

OK, thats good because motion when you don't request it is usually barf city

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

OK, thats good because motion when you don't request it is usually barf city

Yeah I mean I have pretty solid VR legs in general, But poorly done stuff like that can still tilt me hard. I've put, too many hours into this game already and I've had zero issues. You honestly can walk around and move with the level going and not feel odd about it. They did a really amazing job there.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
I hadn't played H3VR's Take & Hold since it was brand new, and I love that a bunch of cover pops up now when it's time to hold a point.

Armswinger still isn't my jam and I don't think it will be unless he adds stick-based direction to is (hold stick and swing arms to move in that direction), but I'd also like if there was Blade & Sorcery style twinstick, where you use the stick to move, but you'll sprint if you also pump your arms. I was reflexively doing that and now I want it to be the norm.

The Rottweiner mode isn't my jam, but I can see why someone would like it. Once out of ammo, I ended up holding two pistols and just punching the enemies as if playing Thrill of the Fight.

The plinking modes remain mad chill. Guns suck, but they're mechanically super neat.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
You can totally move sideways and back with Armswinger. Treat the controls like you're driving a pair of spheres or wheels rather than skiiing and flail accordingly.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Do what, now?

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Shine posted:

Do what, now?

I feel like I remember it slightly works like raptor labs pro loco just, not as good.

Think of it as grabbing the world and pulling yourself through it. Or osmething

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

EbolaIvory posted:

Ya pistol whip is great. I hope the modding scene grabs onto it because the potential is huge.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Shine posted:

The Rottweiner mode isn't my jam, but I can see why someone would like it. Once out of ammo, I ended up holding two pistols and just punching the enemies as if playing Thrill of the Fight.

My favourite moment of RotRW wasn't even from me playing it. A friend was interested in shooting zombies, so ran them through the basics, how to operate the rangers bolt action rifles, and let them at it.

5 minutes later they were in the middle of a mob of zombies, out of ammo, desperately trying to cave their skulls in with an empty Rem700.

It didn't end well, but points for enthusiasm

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

rage-saq posted:

Ya pistol whip is great. I hope the modding scene grabs onto it because the potential is huge.

Are they going to have a very robust level creation tool/mode that comes with the game? I can't imagine any third party tool would be up to the job.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Hellsau posted:

Are they going to have a very robust level creation tool/mode that comes with the game? I can't imagine any third party tool would be up to the job.

They have solutions in mind after launch.

Official word atm.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
The rail/elevator/raft/floaty maps in serious sam last hope were amazing and felt like playing shootemups in vr, so bring me more of this poo poo hell yeah

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz
OK so I haven't tried GTA V in VR because I didn't really want to buy VorpX, but if you do own GTA V and don't mind a bit of jank I seriously recommend giving this a shot, guy named Luke Ross released a GTA V VR mod that doesn't require VorpX ( apparently he did a VR conversion for No One Lives Forever 2 that I think I need to investigate ) and it works with the current version of the game, and is pretty basic to set up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtqPIQxoEus

I don't overmuch care for all of the on foot stuff, but it works, the cutscenes blow with all of the changing up of the camera angles generally just looking unpleasant in third person, a lot of the animations for entering vehicles, bailing from vehicles and getting knocked down by vehicles is awful, and you're going to want to use something like an xbox controller ( mouse & keyboard work but controller works better ) as Touch controllers aren't supported.
The thing is the driving is good. I mean real good - if you're like me and you've wished for an open world VR driving game, this might scratch that itch ( I haven't dragged out my ancient Logitech Momo wheel but I guess that's something to do on the weekend as I expect that's gonna be a bit of a task to get working alongside the VR mod ).

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!
Is there a way to use Touch controller as a normal Xbox controller? There are enough buttons on it and everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Thief simulator VR is out on November 12th!

Also, looks like car mechanic simulator is getting a VR port.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1088770