Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Rhyno posted:

Speaking of things that suck

The PO are refusing to play ball. We're guessing they saw the total and have balked and are now trying the "he's a sickly old man" defense. They told their rep they're done with this. So off to small claims court we go with our rock solid evidence.

As someone who has been down a similar road on a similar issue - getting a judgment in your favor feels good until it's time to collect. Then you wonder why you bothered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That's what I'm assuming.

I'm glad I didn't buy the new car yet, we're just going to use my car savings to pay this off.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Got my seat poured for the formula ford this morning, not a great idea with exothermic two part foam and a fever. Still have to trim and cover but that's another thing check off the list.

Not sure if I'll even make the even now. Stress from brother's bullshit, not enough sleep and general stress getting a car ready at the last minute... Have had chills the last three nights and a low grade fever since Friday evening. No appetite at all so I'm forcing down snacks between water.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

After three days off work and a weekend I am not ready to deal with Monday's bullshit. I am trying to be positive and all, but being gone made me realize I don't take enough time off.

Considering the conversation about burnout ITT; take as much time off as you can 😣

meltie fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Oct 28, 2019

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I haven't been back to work since my accident, and although it feels weird it's kinda nice being a house husband for awhile.

My lawyers think I'm a slam dunk case for disability and put in all the paperwork so I'm not sure when I'll be working again. It's a bit depressing honestly.

drat.

Rhyno posted:

Speaking of things that suck

The PO are refusing to play ball. We're guessing they saw the total and have balked and are now trying the "he's a sickly old man" defense. They told their rep they're done with this. So off to small claims court we go with our rock solid evidence.

In meatpimp's SA history, you may remember around 2006 I came across an unmarked construction area where they removed 6" of asphalt with no warning of a sudden drop. My lowered Miata didn't like that. A kind goon lives in the area and was able to attest to the road situation.

Bottom line was that I sued the construction company and took a maximum payout from small claims court. I hope you have the same result, because it feels sooooo good.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I haven't been back to work since my accident, and although it feels weird it's kinda nice being a house husband for awhile.

My lawyers think I'm a slam dunk case for disability and put in all the paperwork so I'm not sure when I'll be working again. It's a bit depressing honestly.

I'm at the point now where i feel like poo poo mentally if i don't accomplish something every day, and feel like poo poo physically if i do. It's a horrible rut to fall into and i hope you can avoid it.

I hope you're not in too much pain.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Next item on the list

Took like 2 hours to get it set up on the ramp lol

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

fridge corn posted:

Seeing as Ferrari owners are squarely at the intersection of "owns an expensive, delicate thing" and "is extremely anal about the condition of said thing", just the act of safely lifting some of these cars has to be tedious as gently caress.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Powershift posted:

I'm at the point now where i feel like poo poo mentally if i don't accomplish something every day, and feel like poo poo physically if i do. It's a horrible rut to fall into and i hope you can avoid it.

Ha, that's pretty much exactly where I'm at. After my daily workouts (physical therapy basically) I'm pretty much spent and any kind of chores just gently caress my back and neck. At this point I try to manage it the best I can and try not to do too much in one day. I was the care taker of all the landscaping so that's been difficult, can't really do much of that anymore, but luckily my neighbor does it for a living so he's been helping me out here and there, plus my son is at the age where he can start doing poo poo for a change lol.

I also have pretty bad arthritis (especially in my hands) so it's been difficult. I've always been a hands on person with the mentality of "if you want it done right do it yourself" so it's been different having to ask for help, still getting used to it.

fridge corn posted:

Next item on the list

Holy Crap.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Yeah I’m trying to learn to pace myself but I still only get 3 hours before I can barely stand. I still have a list of poo poo to do before the snow sticks :(

A Small Car
Aug 24, 2016

Powershift posted:

I'm right there with you. Threw my back out about 2 weeks ago and refuse to take any time to let it heal. Can't stand or get up from a chair without help? Perfect time to swap the suspension on the truck

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

fridge corn posted:

Next item on the list

Now THAT'S something.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Powershift posted:

Yeah I’m trying to learn to pace myself but I still only get 3 hours before I can barely stand. I still have a list of poo poo to do before the snow sticks :(

It's the opposite here, we try to get poo poo done in the winter before the blast furnace hits. I have a list of poo poo that needs done this winter but I don't know how much I'll be able to do so it's gonna be interesting. Gonna have to start hiring people for physical labor type stuff I guess.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

fridge corn posted:

Next item on the list

People always talk poo poo about this car, but I think it's probably my favorite Ferrari after the F40. Ever since I saw some old grainy GoPro video on YouTube of some dude thrashing his Competizione around some random rear end roval track. It sounds SO menacing.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

IOwnCalculus posted:

Seeing as Ferrari owners are squarely at the intersection of "owns an expensive, delicate thing" and "is extremely anal about the condition of said thing", just the act of safely lifting some of these cars has to be tedious as gently caress.

Most of em are fairly straightforward to lift but the F50 has literally nothing you can stick a ramp leg under in the back except the engine/gearbox. The best part was jacking it up in the middle and then having two guys hang off the front of the car to lift the back up so I could slide the massive rear undertray out from underneath it

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It's the opposite here, we try to get poo poo done in the winter before the blast furnace hits. I have a list of poo poo that needs done this winter but I don't know how much I'll be able to do so it's gonna be interesting. Gonna have to start hiring people for physical labor type stuff I guess.

some say youth is wasted on the young, i say snowbirding is wasted on the old.

Hopefully by next winter i'll have my pick-up comfortable enough to stay in for a week or two, and i can escape the winter bullshit from time to time.

You know what they say, when life gives you lemons, add vodka.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

meltie posted:

Considering the conversation about burnout ITT; take as much time off as you can 😣

This is really good advice. I have a week off coming up next month and this thread reminded me why I needed it, because I absolutely did not want to come in today.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
We're going to mediation. $3500 is the limit, our receipts add up to $3600 so we're giving that a go. If they don't show up they rule in our favor. They live like 4 hours away and the hearing will he at 8am so they might be hosed on that.

Ugh. At least it's fixed and I can worry about cleaning up leaves and normal poo poo now.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Hey man, what happened? I must have missed it.

Since misery loves company, I too suffered a workplace accident a few weeks ago (electric shock, my fault, it was the end of the day and I got careless), but luckily I'm most of the way recovered.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Raluek posted:

Hey man, what happened? I must have missed it.

Since misery loves company, I too suffered a workplace accident a few weeks ago (electric shock, my fault, it was the end of the day and I got careless), but luckily I'm most of the way recovered.

I was hit head on by a drunk driver running a red light driving home from work. The injuries I sustained from that just added on to the issues I already had and now I'm waiting around to get approved for disability.

drat electric shock sounds scary man, what happened? Been there too and it was not fun. Was cutting down bamboo, went to grab one and it touched the main line or whatever it's called. My cousin's husband who's a lineman said it should have killed me, so between that and the car accident (and other dumb poo poo) my 9 lives are running thin :v:

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Oct 29, 2019

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
So, a guy I work with lists his preferred pronouns in his signature next to his name.
Is it just me or is that a bit weird? I mean, he very clearly has a guy's name, so does he really need to put (he, him, his) in his signature?

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

So, a guy I work with lists his preferred pronouns in his signature next to his name.
Is it just me or is that a bit weird? I mean, he very clearly has a guy's name, so does he really need to put (he, him, his) in his signature?
It normalizes it so that people don't feel singled out doing it themselves when they need to.

Cage fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Oct 29, 2019

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Cage posted:

It normalizes it so that people don't feel singled out doing it themselves when they need to.

Got it. That makes sense. I was worried that he might be doing it ironically to be a giant douche.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

drat electric shock sounds scary man, what happened? Been there too and it was not fun. Was cutting down bamboo, went to grab one and it touched the main line or whatever it's called. My cousin's husband who's a lineman said it should have killed me, so between that and the car accident (and other dumb poo poo) my 9 lives are running thin :v:

If it was the line running to the house from the transformer, meh, 240 isn't the end of the world.

If it hit the line feeding the transformer, you used up 7 of your 9 lives. Those usually start at 7200 volts. :stare:

Raluek, what bit you? Guessing something a bit more than 240 if it put you out of work for a bit. :ohdear:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

STR posted:

If it was the line running to the house from the transformer, meh, 240 isn't the end of the world.

If it hit the line feeding the transformer, you used up 7 of your 9 lives. Those usually start at 7200 volts. :stare:

it ain't the voltage that kills you... amperage is what stops your heart.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Very true, but the higher the voltage, the easier it will be for the amps to get through you (also, burns). Also plenty of other factors, such as.. are you standing on dry concrete without rebar in proper electrician footwear, or barefoot on damp ground? What path did it take through your body to get to the ground? Did you grab it with both hands, or just one, or just barely brush it? Was it your right or left hand?

Electricity is nothing to be casual about, but you can handle a pretty decent shock and just get pissed off about getting shocked, or you can take a fairly mild shock and get stuck until someone cuts the power or knocks you free. A 9 volt battery can kill you dead.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Watt?

:rimshot:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

STR posted:

Yeah it wasn't the house line. Not sure why it didn't kill me but here I am :shrug:

STR posted:

Very true, but the higher the voltage, the easier it will be for the amps to get through you (also, burns). Also plenty of other factors, such as.. are you standing on dry concrete without rebar in proper electrician footwear, or barefoot on damp ground? What path did it take through your body to get to the ground? Did you grab it with both hands, or just one, or just barely brush it? Was it your right or left hand?

I was standing on grass with sneakers on. Both hands were on the bamboo stalk trying to pull it out when it hit the line. I felt a huge jolt and jumped in the air what felt like ten feet. My whole body was numb for a bit, and my arms were numb for quite awhile after.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Oct 29, 2019

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
We're all glad you're here.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Thanks man :v:

I didn't realize how lucky I was there until my cousins husband told me I shouldn't be alive, that conversation was pretty spooky.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I pissed on an electric fence once.

I then pissed on it some more when I realised what the gently caress was going on.

That would've been an embarrassing way to go, right? dick out covered in my own piss...

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
I cannot count the number of times I've been kicked in the chest by a cattle fence. #countrykid

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I pissed on an electric fence once.

I then pissed on it some more when I realised what the gently caress was going on.

That would've been an embarrassing way to go, right? dick out covered in my own piss...

We'd have told the rozzers you were a politician and they'd have covered it up neatly, don't worry.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I'm pretty amped up about this conversation, myself.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I've grabbed some house wiring and given myself a nice tingle before.

It's HT leads that get you twice. Numb hand, and if sod's law is in effect, a sore head where you smacked it into the bonnet upon being startled!

I was hit head on by a drunk driver running a red light driving home from work.
"This is not the kind of AA meeting you were advised to have."

Glad you're ok, though, no matter how good/cautious you are yourself, there's more than enough idiots and bad luck out there to go around.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Got it. That makes sense. I was worried that he might be doing it ironically to be a giant douche.

Still possible, but let's hope not.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

This reminds me of what I learned happened to someone I graduated high school with. He was one of the preppier jock-y athlete kids that loved playing sports, but he was always one of the ones that was super nice to everyone so it kinda sucked to hear it happened to him. I found this out a couple of years ago so I don't really remember the details, but he was either a contractor or electrician working on a job site who's foreman or whatever insisted that a power line going over the roof he was on was dead. Clearly it wasn't, and I believe the live line was accidentally severed by someone else and hit a sheet of metal he was carrying while standing on a metal roof.

He managed to survive, but the electricity went through one of his arms carrying the sheet metal and out one of his legs that was standing on metal, and he has neither of those anymore.

T-Square fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Oct 29, 2019

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

When I was in middle school, my friend's dad was a lineman for the local power company and lost half of one foot and three toes of the other when the bucket hit the power line accidentally. He wasn't even in the bucket - he was standing next to the truck. It could have been worse - initially the doctors were thinking he'd lose a leg and lower leg, then the prognoses progressively got better. To add to the fun, his wife was a nurse at the hospital in town. At least she didn't have to go far to be with him, I guess.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Yikes. Also reminds me of my friend's half-brother who's dad was a lineman and died on the job when he was a kid. Their mom got a ton of money in a settlement, and a lot went to my friend's brother who was a bit of a twat growing up, but now he's a functioning adult with a wife and baby, and used the money to create a good life for himself :unsmith:

Contrasted with the same friend's twin brother who got a not-small settlement from a car accident and pissed it away being a loser. Fuckin' degens!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I'm a lineman. I have all of my appendages, tks.