Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Darkest Auer posted:

I tried putting a couple of onions in the fireplace near the embers for about an hour or so and they were so goddamn good.

Maybe it's different in a conventional oven, but I would think that slicing or peeling them would lead to too much moisture loss and a kind of tough texture as opposed to the melt-in-your-mouth one you get from the whole ones.

I've done peeled thick slabs of onion (3/4-1in) for about an hour or so on a baking sheet and they came out pretty great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
I've had a variation of the baked onion. It was peeled and the center cut out (about a 1 inch square). 1 beef bullion cube and butter fills the hole. Wrap in foil, bake for about an hour. It was pretty amazing, but not healthy at all.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

neogeo0823 posted:

I tried baking a couple onions earlier in the week per the video. I got a large vidalia and a shallot to try. I baked them both at 350, shallot for 20 minutes and the large vidalia for 40. Both turned out about how i expected; cooked evenly through, to around a nice sautee kind of doneness. Tender crisp, the onion bite was gone, and some sweetness shone through. I think next time I'll try longer though, as i was hoping for some caramelization to happen, and it didn't. I'll probably also throw in a head of garlic as well.

Yeah I think I didn’t cook mine long enough.

Townsend says to cook them for the same time you would a potato of the same size, but I think they need more.

His onion had slumped more than mine at the conclusion of cooking, which also points to a longer bake.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Townsend has a cool channel

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Platystemon posted:

Yeah I think I didn’t cook mine long enough.

Townsend says to cook them for the same time you would a potato of the same size, but I think they need more.

His onion had slumped more than mine at the conclusion of cooking, which also points to a longer bake.

One thing he does bring up in some videos is that cooking with the historically accurate gear and fire he uses is not the same as cooking with a modern oven and stovetop. The heat levels, their consistency over time, and the way they're applied are all different from modern equipment and you won't get the exact same results if you cook for the same way as he does. You'll notice he rarely gives exact times or heat levels, and this isn't just because the authentic recipes don't. You simply can't translate a Dutch oven in the coals or a wood-burning bread oven directly to a convection oven kept at exactly 425 degrees Fahrenheit, and you can't really figure out if the fire under your frying pan is equivalent to "medium-high heat" on a stovetop burner's knob beyond guesswork.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
You gotta wonder whether old timey people were constantly eating burned or undercooked food and I figure the answer is 100% yes

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

MikeCrotch posted:

You gotta wonder whether old timey people were constantly eating burned or undercooked food and I figure the answer is 100% yes

Cooking with inconsistent methods like fire and burying in coals definitely requires more skill. You need a good eye and feel for estimating doneness, whereas today you can just chuck a product in the oven for the length of time and temperature given in the recipe.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

I was recently given a copy of Scents and Flavors: A Syrian Cookbook in both the original 13th century Arabic and English translation and I'm very excited to try to make some of these recipes. Gonna need to get a mortar and pestle or something so I can grind my own hummus by hand.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

yeah first time I made hummus I mashed it by hand too, turns out a blender is easier on the wrist.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Goons With Spoons > Historical Cooking - turns out a blender is easier on the wrist

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Don't know if this will spark any interest, but I have been following along with this thread and totally forgot that ~6 years ago or so I picked up a bunch of cookbooks on a free Kindle cyber-monday offer.

-Nile Style: Egyptian Cuisine and Culture: Ancient Festivals, Significant Ceremonies, and Modern Celebrations

- Cuisines of the Causcaus Mountains: Recipes, Drinks, and Lore from Armenia, Azerbaijan, Georgia, and Russia

-The Art of Uzbek Cooking

-Polish Heritage Cookery

-Cuisines of the Alps

-Brazil: A Culinary Journey

-Hungarian Cookbook: Old World Recipes for New World Cooks

-Old Havana Cookbook: Cuban Recipes in Spanish/English

-A Taste of Haiti

-Taste of Romania: Its Cookery and Glimpses of its Lore, History, Folklore, Art, and Poetry

-The Kerala Kitchen: Recipes and Recollections from the Syrian Christians of South India

-Flavors of Myanmar: Cuisine and Culture from the Land of Golden Pagodas

-Sephardic Israeli Cuisine: A Mediterranean Mosaic

-Gypsy Feast: Recipes and Culinary Traditions of the Romany People

Anyway those are the more interesting ones that aren't from Fujian or Mexican-American or Irish Pub Cooking or whatever. If anyone has any interest in recipes, it's been a while since I looked at them but I recall them being pretty decent, and the Eastern European ones at least (was working for a Polish doc at the time so bigos was a big theme) don't pull any punches.

All by Hippocrene publishing, whoever they are.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

angerbeet posted:

Don't know if this will spark any interest, but I have been following along with this thread and totally forgot that ~6 years ago or so I picked up a bunch of cookbooks on a free Kindle cyber-monday offer.

-Nile Style: Egyptian Cuisine and Culture: Ancient Festivals, Significant Ceremonies, and Modern Celebrations

- Cuisines of the Causcaus Mountains: Recipes, Drinks, and Lore from Armenia, Azerbaijan, Georgia, and Russia

-The Art of Uzbek Cooking

-Polish Heritage Cookery

-Cuisines of the Alps

-Brazil: A Culinary Journey

-Hungarian Cookbook: Old World Recipes for New World Cooks

-Old Havana Cookbook: Cuban Recipes in Spanish/English

-A Taste of Haiti

-Taste of Romania: Its Cookery and Glimpses of its Lore, History, Folklore, Art, and Poetry

-The Kerala Kitchen: Recipes and Recollections from the Syrian Christians of South India

-Flavors of Myanmar: Cuisine and Culture from the Land of Golden Pagodas

-Sephardic Israeli Cuisine: A Mediterranean Mosaic

-Gypsy Feast: Recipes and Culinary Traditions of the Romany People

Anyway those are the more interesting ones that aren't from Fujian or Mexican-American or Irish Pub Cooking or whatever. If anyone has any interest in recipes, it's been a while since I looked at them but I recall them being pretty decent, and the Eastern European ones at least (was working for a Polish doc at the time so bigos was a big theme) don't pull any punches.

All by Hippocrene publishing, whoever they are.

I need to buy all of these immediately.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I wish the one didn't use the slur, but other than that all of them sound fantastic and definitely interesting.

Post some ancient Egyptian recipes.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Give Kerala recipes now please. I just had beef fry, avial and parotta for dinner, but it's expensive to keep ordering out.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
You would want the one that are on double pages :argh:

Suspect Bucket posted:

Give Kerala recipes now please. I just had beef fry, avial and parotta for dinner, but it's expensive to keep ordering out.

Meat Fry:

Ground beef/Potato Fry:

Avial:

Parotta:

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Leraika posted:

I wish the one didn't use the slur, but other than that all of them sound fantastic and definitely interesting.

Post some ancient Egyptian recipes.

I agree that it's unfortunate, but these books were published in the 90's and welp.

The Egypt book is more of an "Egypt through the ages" thing rather than ancient but I know stewed tomatoes and okra is a winner so have this:

If you're more interested in recipes with a Christian/Jewish/Muslim influence, it's sort of broken down by recipes for major holidays for feasts like Easter or Eid Al-Fitr

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Okra and tomatoes is legit as gently caress

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.

golden bubble posted:

Normally, you don't see simple recipes in historical cookbooks for the same reason modern cookbooks don't provide instructions on how to make a ham and cheese sandwich or breakfast cereal with milk. But Townsends managed to find a colonial cookbook with just such a simple recipe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xV9spqCzSkQ

Colonial Baked Onions
1. Bake the goddamn onion
2. Add some salt or something

I read this, and watched the video.

Then I baked a couple of onions and shallots.

They were loving delicious and everyone should do this, holy poo poo.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I wonder how it would turn out if you baked a sweet onion, like a Vidalia

Metaline
Aug 20, 2003

Randaconda posted:

I wonder how it would turn out if you baked a sweet onion, like a Vidalia

I like to bake whatever sweet onion has the thickest skin I can find at the grocery store and it’s always better than I remembered.

immortalyawn
May 28, 2013

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
If you're roasting a bird you just chuck a few brown onions around it with your root vegetables and whatnot and let them cook. It's extremely normal.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

immortalyawn posted:

If you're roasting a bird you just chuck a few brown onions around it with your root vegetables and whatnot and let them cook. It's extremely normal.

thank you

No one else I work with has ever heard of this neat trick that doctors hate

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Pham Nuwen posted:

The battleship curry looks like it's worth a shot. I've used the S&B bricks before and they're fine, but I'd be interested to see what the addition of the cheeses and coffee bring to the table.

I know it's not super historical cooking but figured I'd follow up. I tried the battleship curry, using beef instead of pork since it's what I had. It came out good, but I will leave out the cheese next time and perhaps use additional coffee in place of some of the broth. I didn't feel like the cheese added much to the flavor or texture but it did coat the pot and the utensils in a gummy layer of crud I had to scrub off later. I also added a chopped apple perhaps 10 minutes after the potato and it was a good addition.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

I've been semi-homeless and broke for the last few months, but am finally living in a place with an oven I can use whenever I want. I have precisely one yellow onion, and am gonna try this Townsend's onion thing. IT BETTER BE WORTH IT

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

JacquelineDempsey posted:

I've been semi-homeless and broke for the last few months, but am finally living in a place with an oven I can use whenever I want. I have precisely one yellow onion, and am gonna try this Townsend's onion thing. IT BETTER BE WORTH IT

I got to try baking an onion again this past weekend. This time I had a standard yellow onion of about medium size. I baked it again at 350F, but this time for about an hour and 15 minutes. It was much softer this time around, but not like, golden brown caramelized yet. Very slippery, but still held up to being cut. Tasted almost like it was to go caramelized. I'm still chasing that elusive golden brown, but I'm getting closer.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Coffee is like beer or wine or stock. Always sub or add for / to each other.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Count me in on the baked onion train. He said "do it like a baked potato", and I felt like doing this recipe for baked potatoes, so I tossed in a couple of onions alongside. After 45 minutes at 450 degrees I pulled them because they had some concerning black stuff underneath the racks, but after cutting them open it feels like they could have gone even longer--they could be softer, browner. Still tasty, though!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I don't have an onion bake to do, but I do have a project I'm going to do this weekend or next: drinking the Royal Navy grog ration.

I just finished Feeding Nelson's Navy last week, which is a good book when the author can directly quote journals and regulations or tried something mentioned herself. Unfortunately, she's not quite as good when it comes to alcohol. After describing how we "have no way of knowing how strong their rum was" (when in fact they had quite rigorous standards by 1816 and less accurate tests before!) and that it was "4 times stronger than modern Navy rum" (which would put it, at a minimum, 160% alcohol by volume), she claimed that Royal Navy sailors must have spent most of their day in some state of drunkenness from their half-pit rum ration per day.

I'd like to put that to the test! I have a Townsends tin pint mug coming, and I know where to get Smith & Cross Traditional Jamaican Rum. This is a funky 57% ABV rum meant to imitate the higher quality Jamaican rums of the time. Using the standard 4:1 ratio, I'm going to make myself some grog! The rum ration was issued twice per day, once before noon and once before the evening meal, and a British pint is 20 oz. This gives me 10 oz. of Navy strength rum to drink during the day. Information is spotty about whether they actually downed 5 ounces of rum in one sitting, but I might split up my test to do it twice. First by drinking 5 ounces of rum in the form of grog twice a day, then by doing 5 servings of 2 oz. each in the form of half-pint drinks so I have another mug every 2 or 3 hours.

I expect to be able to more accurately quantify how plastered you spend the working day this way!

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
That's not actually that much alcohol, all told. Especially spread out.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Mr. Wiggles posted:

That's not actually that much alcohol, all told. Especially spread out.

It depends on the proof and time. Rule of thumb is 1 hour to process 1 drink. With the high proof of navy rum, that’s roughly 1 tin cup of grog (with 2 oz. of rum) per hour. I might not be drunk but have a good buzz as I approach each new cup. If I drink half my ration in one go, I’m trashed.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Just to be absolutely clear; sailors weren’t given half a pint of grog per day; they were given half a pint of rum.

That is actually quite a lot - if it were regular 40% rum it would be nine Australian standard drinks for example; and this is 57% rum we’re talking about. So let’s call it roughly 13 standard drinks. That’s like drinking at bottle of wine at lunch and another one at dinner.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

You have to think about the tolerances of people who, historically, consumed much more alcohol than you do. Even so, a bottle of wine at lunch and another at dinner isn't like A LOT - that's like a normal family gathering. If you grew up and lived your whole life consuming quantities like that it wouldn't be nothing for you.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
These were not people who were going to Jazzercise their way into their 80's.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

2 bottles of wine / person / day is a whole lot.

2010 WHO has the world champion drinkers as the Belerusans at 17L of ethanol/person/year, which converted back to wine is only about a third of a bottle a day. That's probably pulled down some by light drinkers (WHO starts counting people at age 15 for this), but not 6X.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
The WHO are lightweights in my opinion

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

I'm also guessing that the WHO has some undereporting and other data collection issues.

Seriously though, that's not very much. Those Limeys were positively sober versus the average Reno hipster.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Well I feel like a drunk.

I could polish that off with a meal and ask for thirds.

Or no meal.

I should probably talk to my therapist.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I'm also guessing that the WHO has some undereporting and other data collection issues.

Alcohol consumption is actually one of the easiest places to correct for reporting bias in since being relatively strictly regulated makes it much easier track how much got sold so you can develop reasonable estimates for under/over-reporting. You're still relying on an educated guesses about what percentage of alcohol goes to waste or gets used in ways other than drinking it, but population scale estimates for alcohol consumption are usually more accurate than most other foodstuffs or recreational drugs :eng101:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Mr. Wiggles posted:

You have to think about the tolerances of people who, historically, consumed much more alcohol than you do. Even so, a bottle of wine at lunch and another at dinner isn't like A LOT - that's like a normal family gathering. If you grew up and lived your whole life consuming quantities like that it wouldn't be nothing for you.

I don't think you're fully aware of how much alcohol I'm capable of consuming in a day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

fuckit, if I can some overstrength rum here, I'll join you on one of my days off in Dec. Why the heck not?