Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

exquisite tea posted:

I recently saw The Witch for the first time and I thought it was great, probably the most unique and well-made horror movie I've seen this decade (although I don't normally watch a lot of horror). There are a lot of themes at work here but what I mostly got from it is that devotion to family and God blows and being a witch is fukken awesome.

Yeah not really, both sides are pretty horrible. The father is an incompetent moron who unnecessarily endangers the family for the sake of his pride, but the witches are baby eating pedophiles so it's not like they're any good either. Thomasin starts the film being controlled by a man who intentionally puts her in a bad situation (her dumbass dad), and ends the movie being controlled by a different man who intentionally puts her in a bad situation (Satan, the dude who murdered her family). She will never be free, in fact freedom was never even an option for her, she was always destined to be subservient to a man (her father her husband, Satan, it was bound to be someone) because she's a woman and life for woman back then kind of sucked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Shudder is doing a thing where if you call a hotline in the next 40 minutes they’ll give you a recommendation

201-305-9178

Haven’t called it yet to see what it actually does

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Nothing wrong with nudity. But I'd prefer not to watch exploitative nudity, personally. Unless I specifically sit down to watch an exploitation film. Have a scene where two characters have sex? Throw that poo poo up on screen, my friend! Have a gal get her bikini ripped off so the audience can leer at her? Makes me feel skeezy.

But yeah, throw a bunch of dongs up on screen to balance it out, for sure.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Blast Fantasto posted:

Shudder is doing a thing where if you call a hotline in the next 40 minutes they’ll give you a recommendation

201-305-9178

Haven’t called it yet to see what it actually does

its me im giving the reccomendations theyre all rob zombie movies

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Yeah not really, both sides are pretty horrible. The father is an incompetent moron who unnecessarily endangers the family for the sake of his pride, but the witches are baby eating pedophiles so it's not like they're any good either. Thomasin starts the film being controlled by a man who intentionally puts her in a bad situation (her dumbass dad), and ends the movie being controlled by a different man who intentionally puts her in a bad situation (Satan, the dude who murdered her family). She will never be free, in fact freedom was never even an option for her, she was always destined to be subservient to a man (her father her husband, Satan, it was bound to be someone) because she's a woman and life for woman back then kind of sucked.

Yeah, nowadways my takeaway is how women are treated as subservient by society, and also "No matter what religion you pick, religion will gently caress you up."

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

True but doing naked witch poo poo for Satan is way cooler than being boring, joyless puritan.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Given the options back in 17th Century New England, dancing tits out and turning baby blood into ointment for the Dark Lord himself freaking owns compared to activities such as cooking and cleaning, hitting that hoop thing with a stick, or dying in childbirth as most women did during that time.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Dying in childbirth next to the much older man who you were sold off to and legally raped by, to trigger the libs

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
It's funny, no matter how evil satan is supposed to be, it sure looks like he knows how to party

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Sign me up, I want a pretty dress and to live deliciously.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Iron Crowned posted:

It's funny, no matter how evil satan is supposed to be, it sure looks like he knows how to party

The documentary Hail Satan? makes excellent examples of this. Satan is cool in almost every culture’s interpretation.

Jezebel
Sep 6, 2004

Skal!

Zombie's Halloween II verdict: much preferred to the original Halloween II, but holy hell what a depressing movie. I actually teared up when the sheriff finds Annie's body. I also watched the original ending on youtube and I prefer this alternate version, it fits better.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Pomp posted:

True but doing naked witch poo poo for Satan is way cooler than being boring, joyless puritan.

Look, I'm not saying the naked flying isn't fun, it is. But the baby eating? That shits gross man, really gross. Snowpriecer lied to you: babies do NOT taste better. Trust me on this.

Pomp posted:

Dying in childbirth next to the much older man who you were sold off to and legally raped by, to trigger the libs

But she DOES end the movie married to a much older man: Satan, and part of the witch mythos involves them giving birth to demons, so either way she's getting screwed by some creepy old guy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwdE-mqXgNc

weekly font posted:

Hell yeah. I have a Black Phillip tat lined up in my future. I haven't had a chance to watch them together yet, but I think it'd be a really good double feature with Midsommar.

It's weird that you should mention that, because I was just thinking the other day about how similar those movies are and how great it would be to watch them as a double header.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Snack Bitch posted:

Sign me up, I want a pretty dress and to live deliciously.

He’s lying because he’s a sneaky devil. You gotta be down with naked flying and wearing baby guts.

Jezebel posted:

Zombie's Halloween II verdict: much preferred to the original Halloween II, but holy hell what a depressing movie. I actually teared up when the sheriff finds Annie's body. I also watched the original ending on youtube and I prefer this alternate version, it fits better.

That’s that Dourif magic, baby.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

weekly font posted:

Hell yeah. I have a Black Phillip tat lined up in my future. I haven't had a chance to watch them together yet, but I think it'd be a really good double feature with Midsommar.

I hired a woman for our IT department a few weeks ago and I just found out literally 10 minutes ago she has a Black Phillip tattoo. I think I made the right choice.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Get a Black Phillip tattoo and you’re a cool kid in the In Crowd.

Get a tramp stamp of Ana Taylor-Joy’s face and suddenly you’re a weirdo on a watch list.

Tired of these double standards.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Get a full back tattoo of Ralph Ineson’s back as he’s chopping wood.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

LMAO at the posers itt with no Rob Zombie ink

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
I have a friend with a tattoo of Angela from Sleepaway camp, it’s loving amazing.

(I myself have Tarman from return of the Living dead which I like to think is cool)

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

pics

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
well here’s mine (excuse my sweaty red back it was taken just after it was done) I can’t seem to find a photo of his

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

I feel like Angela from Sleepaway Camp doesn’t get her due when people discuss slasher villians.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Gonna watch Hellraiser 2 tonight.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Gaz2k21 posted:

well here’s mine (excuse my sweaty red back it was taken just after it was done) I can’t seem to find a photo of his

thats wicked dope i love it!

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

Kvlt! posted:

thats wicked dope i love it!

I have a surprising lack of horror tattoo’s to be fair, I have a small They Live tattoo as well as a Xenomorph,I have “do the zombie shuffle like an old school ghoul” tattooed over my knees (lyrics from a song by zombie thrash band “send more paramedics”) and I have a 35mm film strip wrapping around my left arm that comes out of a Frankenstein style split wound in my shoulder and goes into one on my forearm (this has caused concern for people at work as they think it’s a sign of self harm which apparently isn’t a good look for a prison officer)

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

sponges posted:

I feel like Angela from Sleepaway Camp doesn’t get her due when people discuss slasher villians.

That's because she is the hero

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Holy poo poo House 3 is loving amazing. It’s on tubi as The Horror Show and is pretty much just Lance Henriksen fighting Wes Craven’s Shocker, except he’s played by the Australian bad guy from Tango & Cash instead of Skinner from the X-Files.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I have a Twin Peaks tattoo (the most obvious one), my plan is to hit the rest of that arm with further Lynch stuff. The key from Mulholland Drive and Bill Pullman’s tattoo in Lost Highway at the least.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Disposable Scud posted:

Gonna watch Hellraiser 2 tonight.

Enjoy the wetness

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Blast Fantasto posted:

I have a Twin Peaks tattoo (the most obvious one), my plan is to hit the rest of that arm with further Lynch stuff. The key from Mulholland Drive and Bill Pullman’s tattoo in Lost Highway at the least.

Nitrous tank

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I should get a horror tattoo

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Kvlt! this just popped up on the TV and I need your immediate opinion

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Kvlt! posted:

Nitrous tank

I’ve legitimately been trying to think of something Blue Velvet related and that’s probably the best idea

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Just saw Halloween III and if you don't like that, I just can't relate to your taste in horror. That's the goods right there.

Also, good news: apparently Tom Atkins is still alive! Bad news: apparently this day he's relegated to stuff like this. But hey, it's rad those guys got him and at least he's still out there working on genre stuff.

e: Especially you, Ebert :mad:

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Nov 1, 2019

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

COOL CORN posted:

Kvlt! this just popped up on the TV and I need your immediate opinion

THIS IS OFFICIALLY Kvlt! APPROVED. CERTIFIED NON POSER :350:

whats it from i gotta hear it

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

FancyMike posted:

That's because she is the hero

Both the killer and the final girl.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

sponges posted:

I mean that's mostly a function of the film being a whodunit. OG Angela doesn't really get the chance to be a villain until her very evocative reveal at the last moment which is both iconic and really lovely.

But Pamela Springsteen Angela is a candidate for Slasher Mt. Rushmore.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
The Furies doesn't waste time starting does it? There was...one scene before poo poo started popping off.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

To be fair to Satan those Puritans had it coming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Kvlt! posted:

THIS IS OFFICIALLY Kvlt! APPROVED. CERTIFIED NON POSER :350:

whats it from i gotta hear it

Buddy I was certified non poser long ago

It's from Haunted on Netflix. Mediocre flick but that cover is cool