Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

Oh, then you’re a new customer.

Either BOGO if you’re both getting a phone, or trade In up to $500 depending on what your phone is. You can get a $200 gift card as well.

That'd be $700 towards a new Pixel 4, correct (if I get and use the card towards the phone immediately)?

I'm trading in my P2XL with a small nick on the bottom but is 100% functional as it's a scratch, not a crack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

ThermoPhysical posted:

That'd be $700 towards a new Pixel 4, correct (if I get and use the card towards the phone immediately)?

I'm trading in my P2XL with a small nick on the bottom but is 100% functional as it's a scratch, not a crack.

Scratches don’t matter.

It’s $500 towards the phone. The $200 gift card comes in 6-8 weeks, so it can’t be used towards the phone. Money is money, so same effect.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

XIII posted:

So, I got two Pixel 3s during last year's Black Friday deal. Mother dearest recently managed to bork the charging port on hers. I'm considering grabbing a P4 directly from Google for myself, letting her take my P3, and just continuing to pay the $17/mo or whatever VZW is tacking onto our bills. Because both of our P3s are on device payment plans, will we run into any issues?

Circling back to this: I wouldn't be able to trade in her P3 toward the P4, since it's still on a payment plan through VZW, correct? I hadn't planned on it (because I'm assuming I can't), but figured I'd confirm

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

XIII posted:

Circling back to this: I wouldn't be able to trade in her P3 toward the P4, since it's still on a payment plan through VZW, correct? I hadn't planned on it (because I'm assuming I can't), but figured I'd confirm

You actually should be able to, just bear in mind the payment plan of the phone your trading in stays on your bill until it’s over with.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Duckman2008 posted:

You actually should be able to, just bear in mind the payment plan of the phone your trading in stays on your bill until it’s over with.

Oh, sweet! And, yeah, I'm aware of (and fine with) the payment plan staying on the bill. Will it matter that the charging port is wonky? It works, but takes some fiddlin' with the cord to get it to take a charge (she's just been charging it wirelessly, so it's not been a big deal)

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

XIII posted:

Oh, sweet! And, yeah, I'm aware of (and fine with) the payment plan staying on the bill. Will it matter that the charging port is wonky? It works, but takes some fiddlin' with the cord to get it to take a charge (she's just been charging it wirelessly, so it's not been a big deal)

As long as it is not torn out should be fine.

Hackjack
Apr 1, 2013
Is there anything I need to do with Verizon after buying a new phone? I just popped in my SIM card into my new phone, and everything seems to be working fine. Just want to make sure I'm not missing anything, like telling Verizon that I'm changing phone hardware.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Hackjack posted:

Is there anything I need to do with Verizon after buying a new phone? I just popped in my SIM card into my new phone, and everything seems to be working fine. Just want to make sure I'm not missing anything, like telling Verizon that I'm changing phone hardware.

Nope you are good to go.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Maybe a dumb question, but I can't figure it out online.

My wife has an 8 that she owes about 4 payments on. Can I pay off the $130 and then get (hopefully more then $130) trade in on her 8? Or do I have to chose between losing any equity she may have, or selling 3rd party?

Her battery is making GBS threads the bed right now and was planning to wait for the full 2 years till it was paid off, but that is not working out at this point.

uli2000
Feb 23, 2015

hedgecore posted:

Looking for guidance here. I have a prepaid Verizon iPhone SE I bought from Best Buy a while back just for iOS app development. I never activated/paid for service. My partner's iPhone SE (AT&T Prepaid) has stopped working. I am looking to let her use this phone as her replacement.

It seems like I need to have the phone unlocked before she can do so. I know I need to activate 1 month of prepaid service (seems to be $30) + pay a fee to get it unlocked. I called up and the rep kindly let me know the fee tends to be between $75-150, but she couldn't let me know exactly how much until the phone was activated for one month of prepaid service. I mentioned I've had my own Verizon wireless service for about 20 years and she let me know she'd be able to cut that fee down for me.

Of course halfway through the setup we became disconnected, and now the robot auto responder on the phone call won't direct me to a real person.

Does this still seem like the best course of action? Pay for 1 month, see if I can find another rep who will honor reducing that fee, and then the phone will be unlocked and she can pop her AT&T prepaid SIM card in?

Verizon's website says 60 days of service for a prepaid unlock:

https://www.verizon.com/about/consumer-safety/device-unlocking-policy

But notice this: If you purchase a 4G Phone-in-a-Box from our retail partners, you should review the back of the box to determine the lock period applicable to that device. I've heard that can be 6 months. And a search on google brings up a article from Consumer Reports, which is less than a month old says this: The one exception to the 60-day rule is Verizon prepaid smartphones, which are locked to the carrier's service for 12 months. After that, you can call and request an unlock at 800-922-0204.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Snowmankilla posted:

Maybe a dumb question, but I can't figure it out online.

My wife has an 8 that she owes about 4 payments on. Can I pay off the $130 and then get (hopefully more then $130) trade in on her 8? Or do I have to chose between losing any equity she may have, or selling 3rd party?

Her battery is making GBS threads the bed right now and was planning to wait for the full 2 years till it was paid off, but that is not working out at this point.

I don’t know the trade in for an iPhone 8 offhand , but sure , you can always pay off the phone then trade in for whatever Verizon says the trade in is.

uli2000 posted:

Verizon's website says 60 days of service for a prepaid unlock:

https://www.verizon.com/about/consumer-safety/device-unlocking-policy

But notice this: If you purchase a 4G Phone-in-a-Box from our retail partners, you should review the back of the box to determine the lock period applicable to that device. I've heard that can be 6 months. And a search on google brings up a article from Consumer Reports, which is less than a month old says this: The one exception to the 60-day rule is Verizon prepaid smartphones, which are locked to the carrier's service for 12 months. After that, you can call and request an unlock at 800-922-0204.

I have to re check the prepaid policy , but as far as I know:

Postpaid phones are now locked for 60 days. No exceptions. The reason in that case is anti theft, and honestly, as a person that works in the stores I am ok with a policy that can at least somewhat deter theft and fraud, and 2 months is not a long time to wait for a customer in most cases.

Prepaid should be 1 month payment (it used to be 6 months). In theory, you pay one month service with the IMEI, which unlocks it on the spot since service is paid and non refundable. Prepaid phones are cheaper, so they aren’t worried about theft, they just want to make some amount of money on the phone.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

New and existing Verizon customers who have an unlimited plan will get Disney+ free for the first year

https://www.verizonwireless.com/solutions-and-services/disneyplus/

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Whoa nice.

DEUSFORORUM
Aug 28, 2003

FCKGW posted:

New and existing Verizon customers who have an unlimited plan will get Disney+ free for the first year

https://www.verizonwireless.com/solutions-and-services/disneyplus/

Hopefully this stacks since I just got done buying the 3 year deal.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

DEUSFORORUM posted:

Hopefully this stacks since I just got done buying the 3 year deal.

I’m hoping this too but I doubt it does.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

OldSenileGuy posted:

I’m hoping this too but I doubt it does.

https://variety.com/2019/digital/news/disney-plus-already-signed-up-verizon-free-unlimited-wireless-customers-1203379631/

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

“Unlimited Wireless”

Dammit, we get 16 GBs and that is just right (including the carryover data). I was so pumped when I first saw this.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

"It's not the size of the tower. It's the motion of the airwaves."
Lipstick Apathy
So, the flexible business plans have data only plans for tablets, jetpacks, etc.
https://www.verizonwireless.com/business/plans/flexible-business-plan/

The 1gb plan is $10/month, 2gb is $25/month, 4gb is $45/month, and 6gb is $55/month (there's more, but they aren't important).
Overages are $10/gb.

Why would I ever get the 2gb or 4gb plan, when the overages on 1gb are cheaper? Am I just way misunderstanding this?

Beefstorm fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Oct 29, 2019

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice
Alright Duckman, I have a question(s) for you:

When does the upgrade trade in deal for iPhone 11's end?

Does this idea work: We want to buy my son a new iPhone 11, he has a Pixel 2 XL. He has 0 attachment to his actual phone number. Could I start a new line on our account, trade in his phone for the $500 towards the iPhone 11 instead of the $200 toward an upgrade, and cancel his current line?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

OMGMYSPLEEN posted:

Alright Duckman, I have a question(s) for you:

When does the upgrade trade in deal for iPhone 11's end?

Does this idea work: We want to buy my son a new iPhone 11, he has a Pixel 2 XL. He has 0 attachment to his actual phone number. Could I start a new line on our account, trade in his phone for the $500 towards the iPhone 11 instead of the $200 toward an upgrade, and cancel his current line?

Goes until mid November, although of course that can always change.

Yes, that would work, only downside is losing the old number. Pixel 2 XL would be a $500 trade in since its a new number.

Let me know if you want a referral code (if ordering online).

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice

Duckman2008 posted:

Goes until mid November, although of course that can always change.

Yes, that would work, only downside is losing the old number. Pixel 2 XL would be a $500 trade in since its a new number.

Let me know if you want a referral code (if ordering online).

Luckily it’s my 12 year olds line; his major business contacts consisting of other 12 year olds won’t care about the change :cheeky:

Absolutely! Hit me with that referral code cause I’ll be doing it online for the half price activation cost deal too!

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Hey Duckman, do the Asurion plans cover battery replacements? It says they do, but that it's "conditional."

What are those conditions?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Hey Duckman, do the Asurion plans cover battery replacements? It says they do, but that it's "conditional."

What are those conditions?

Depends probably on availability of battery by phone. Let me know if you have any issues filing for phoneclaim.com , and I can send you the emergency Asurion number if need be (that number I won’t post publicly).

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I just tried making a claim through Asurion, but it kicked it. There's a chance my plan is so ancient it might not cover anything except phone replacement - I got it with my *Original Droid* way the gently caress back when.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I just tried making a claim through Asurion, but it kicked it. There's a chance my plan is so ancient it might not cover anything except phone replacement - I got it with my *Original Droid* way the gently caress back when.

Oh, battery replacement may only be total mobile protection. If you have wireless protection or total equipment protection you may not get battery replacement.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

OMGMYSPLEEN posted:

Luckily it’s my 12 year olds line; his major business contacts consisting of other 12 year olds won’t care about the change :cheeky:

Absolutely! Hit me with that referral code cause I’ll be doing it online for the half price activation cost deal too!

Wife and I did that last year to get our P3XLs, it's a solid plan.

Unfortunately, he has 'real' contacts now, so I don't know that it will go over that well again.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Looking through our current plan (2 lines, nationwide talk and text with 16 GBs, 12 plan GBs and 4 bonus GBs). We usually have 5-6 GBs of data left over each month with this month being the exception. Once we pay off our Phones this month, the bill will be $127 a month (including a 19% access discount).

Do any of the unlimited plans offer a better deal at all or do any of them allow the 19% discount to be used on them? I have not really followed the new plans so I did not know if they would be a better deal for my family.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Looking through our current plan (2 lines, nationwide talk and text with 16 GBs, 12 plan GBs and 4 bonus GBs). We usually have 5-6 GBs of data left over each month with this month being the exception. Once we pay off our Phones this month, the bill will be $127 a month (including a 19% access discount).

Do any of the unlimited plans offer a better deal at all or do any of them allow the 19% discount to be used on them? I have not really followed the new plans so I did not know if they would be a better deal for my family.

No and no. Unless you start going over your data your current plan is the best rate. The only discount that applies to unlimited plans is military discount.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
After switching to Visible in July, I'm ready to switch back to Verizon so that I can actually have service that works.

I never switched my wife off Verizon, so I'm just going to be bringing my own phone to add as an unlimited line, and also switching her service over to unlimited.

Is there any discount or deal I can take advantage of for switching back to Verizon? Or would any deal just require also buying a phone from them? (which I suppose i could do if it's a screaming deal, but I'm also happy to just keep using my iPhone XS)

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

No and no. Unless you start going over your data your current plan is the best rate. The only discount that applies to unlimited plans is military discount.

Thanks. I thought I had read that these unlimited plans made access discounts obsolete but I wanted to be sure.

Thanks Duckman!

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

OldSenileGuy posted:

After switching to Visible in July, I'm ready to switch back to Verizon so that I can actually have service that works.

I never switched my wife off Verizon, so I'm just going to be bringing my own phone to add as an unlimited line, and also switching her service over to unlimited.

Is there any discount or deal I can take advantage of for switching back to Verizon? Or would any deal just require also buying a phone from them? (which I suppose i could do if it's a screaming deal, but I'm also happy to just keep using my iPhone XS)

$250 BYOD online. Just have to port your number and bring your own phone. Any questions or for a referral code PM me.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"
I'm looking to buy a new phone, preferably as a re-up on my Verizon account.

What's important to me:
- Good radio / call quality
- Good battery
- Doesn't get too hot
- Good selfie camera, but I also want a good front facing camera
- Headphone jack
- Water resistant/proof
- When reinforced (preferably with a low-profile case) that it's drop/damage resistant
- Prefer "stock" Android experience or close to it

Any recommendations? Any deals I should look out for?

Edit:

I've been following Linus Tech Tips, and he still seems to run as Galaxy Note 9 (not a 10) as his "daily driver". I'm totally cool going for a "last gen" phone if it's a better well-rounded experience.

Dahbadu fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Nov 3, 2019

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Dahbadu posted:

I'm looking to buy a new phone, preferably as a re-up on my Verizon account.

What's important to me:
- Good radio / call quality
- Good battery
- Doesn't get too hot
- Good selfie camera, but I also want a good front facing camera
- Headphone jack
- Water resistant/proof
- When reinforced (preferably with a low-profile case) that it's drop/damage resistant
- Prefer "stock" Android experience or close to it

Any recommendations? Any deals I should look out for?

Edit:

I've been following Linus Tech Tips, and he still seems to run as Galaxy Note 9 (not a 10) as his "daily driver". I'm totally cool going for a "last gen" phone if it's a better well-rounded experience.

I mean, stock android is pixel 3 or pixel 4. I would get the Note 10 over the 9, not a high price difference and any promos will likely only be on the current model.

Yeah, there are and will be promos. Some current Verizon accounts have a $300 off Pixel offer (mileage varies). Black Friday is the 29th, I would bet on promos on the Pixel 4 and Note 10, and probably the Pixel 3 too.

I keep mentioning the Pixel 3 because some reviewers aren’t big on the Pixel 4. I haven’t taken time to digest what the issues are to be honest.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

If I was to port my number out so I could take advantage of the new line promo, is there a minimum time I would have to wait to port back in?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

kensei posted:

If I was to port my number out so I could take advantage of the new line promo, is there a minimum time I would have to wait to port back in?

Questions :

Do you have multiple lines, and is the account in your name or not your name?

The technical wait time for a “Winback” is 60 days. Whether it gets triggered or not tends to be whether the entire account is closed out or not.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Duckman2008 posted:

Similar question: we’re currently running almost the same plan but with 3 lines (so 12+6 and ~$137).

We go over the data limit by 1GB probably 4x a year which bumps the annual average cost to like ~$145 and has some unwanted usage impact (we’re purposefully not doing activities we otherwise would be doing in order to save data).

The basic unlimited plan at face value is $135 for 3 lines. Are there any other costs involved that would make a switch not wanted?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

DNK posted:

Similar question: we’re currently running almost the same plan but with 3 lines (so 12+6 and ~$137).

We go over the data limit by 1GB probably 4x a year which bumps the annual average cost to like ~$145 and has some unwanted usage impact (we’re purposefully not doing activities we otherwise would be doing in order to save data).

The basic unlimited plan at face value is $135 for 3 lines. Are there any other costs involved that would make a switch not wanted?

Basic unlimited plan has no hotspot and you can be throttled in congested towers. That’s the only thing to consider.

Also, that pricing requires autopay with checking account / debit card.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"

Duckman2008 posted:

I mean, stock android is pixel 3 or pixel 4. I would get the Note 10 over the 9, not a high price difference and any promos will likely only be on the current model.

Yeah, there are and will be promos. Some current Verizon accounts have a $300 off Pixel offer (mileage varies). Black Friday is the 29th, I would bet on promos on the Pixel 4 and Note 10, and probably the Pixel 3 too.

I keep mentioning the Pixel 3 because some reviewers aren’t big on the Pixel 4. I haven’t taken time to digest what the issues are to be honest.

This is super handy. Thank you!

I'm interested in an S10, I think. Any cool offers I should look at or be aware of?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Dahbadu posted:

This is super handy. Thank you!

I'm interested in an S10, I think. Any cool offers I should look at or be aware of?

Right now it’s a BOGO if you add a line. Lord knows what will happen on Black Friday.

Promotions now a days tend to require an unlimited data plan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I just signed up my widowed mom and her iPhone 6s+ to the Vzn 3gb single phone prepaid $40 plan coming from the overpriced AT&T shared plan she had with pops.

Are there any drawbacks other than getting crappier coverage and only 480p golden retriever videos with the prepaid plan? She is in the California foothills quite a bit so I want her phone to work at least as well as it did with AT&T.

Can I switch her to a postpaid without too much of a hassle if need be?

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Nov 4, 2019