Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Maybe they shouldn't print walkers you can't interact with effectively in combat

Maybe they should stop loving acting like planeswalkers are a sacred cow and print some decent interactions

Eej posted:

Counterpoint: Oko is far more prevalent in every format of Magic than Field is
There is no escape from Oko's midrange hEllk.

I like those people running away from Oko to play pioneer. It's a brave new frontier. It's a modern utopia. It's probably full of loving elk on day 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Spiderdrake posted:

It's probably full of loving elk on day 2.

Worse. It's full of Nexus Rec, Treasure Cruise, Felidar Guardian, and a whole host of cards that were previously banned or restricted but like somehow are just ending up really annoying instead of dominating. Pioneer is fun because it's a shitshow wild west frontier.

Nexus Rec is just so loving irritating to play against.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

I really wish Pioneer was coming to Arena but it'd probably just be a parade of every single deck I've hated playing against, and then I'd look down at my own hand of Big Teferi, Oko, Golos, Nexus of Fate, Hydroid Krasis, Thought Erasure, the Explore package, Goblin Chainwhirler, Tiny Teferi, 8 cards with the word flash on them, Wilderness Reclamation, Thought Erasure again

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
No one's gonna play Thought Erasure when Thoughtseize is legal.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
rip, forgot to play my one game of constructed for the free pack. Totally didn't realize there was a season change.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Eej posted:

No one's gonna play Thought Erasure when Thoughtseize is legal.
You're telling me Grixis players circa 2019 aren't jacking off to seize you, erasure you, duress you, dig through time, lose the game?

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Does Oko only show up at higher ladder levels? I don't see it very often, but I also only just made it to platinum rank a few days ago and I still face a lot of starter decks.

I feel like once people hit plat they just experiment more. When people are serious about advancing, they're probably trying to use the most effective decks.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.
My first draft opponent today opened the game with a Once Upon A Time, followed by a Golden Goose. They later played a Feasting Troll King as well as a Lovestruck Beast when they had multiple 1/1s.

It didn't go well.

2nd game was against a mill deck with Lucky Clover, and I think you can figure out how that went.

Kinda sucks, because I finally got to draft a UR draw deck with the added bonus of a splashed Grumgully to make my free Improbable Alliance tokens bigger (as well as all but one of my creatures).

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
I'm seeing very few Okos but a lot of Divine Visitation in various flavors. Maybe I'm too low-ranked to get matched against Okos.

Saucer Crab
Apr 3, 2009

Spiderdrake posted:

You're telling me Grixis players circa 2019 aren't jacking off to seize you, erasure you, duress you, dig through time, lose the game?

The format may change but Grixis control players never do.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc
It's really hosed up that I'm seeing noxious grasp in bo1. Even then it might as well not even have the white clause, I think it's entirely hitting okos, questing beasts, krasises, nissas and elks. Things are real bad when incredibly narrow color hate is wildly playable maindeck.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

pinky pie out here choking people to death

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

I added a couple of Overcomes to my BEARS deck as a stall-breaker. It's been worth it.

Math is for blockers, and math is hard.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

gonna miss brawl

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Ok so I played like a hundred games of Brawl or actually probably a lot more than that so time to talk about Brawl.

In general summary the format is currently like, actually turbo bad until they ban Oko, but I didn't see much Oko. They should ban him and Fires of Invention, then it's probably fine. Possibly Bolas and Izzet Niv as commanders since they make for some real stupid games of unfun magic but I don't know, it's brawl, it's not like anyone gives a gently caress at wotc. There's no way people who let Oko go as a commander give the slightest fucks about Brawl. The first time someone trades your commander for a food token you can literally envision the amount of fucks given about brawl by the arena team and it's some kind of angels on the head of a pin thing except negative fucks given about brawl.

I planned Niv on the last day and hoboy that's a spicy commander. Once they ban Oko I'd recommend Domri Anarch for aggro, Chulane for midrange and Izzet niv or Bolas for control. If they don't ban Oko just play Oko.

Chulane is worth the wild card just for putting forty power on the table in one turn with Oketra. It required untapping with Chulane, Oketra and a Great Henge but by sweet zombie god it was glorious.

flatluigi posted:

gonna miss brawl
gently caress yeah
I'm sad I missed out on as many games as I did getting sick on the weekend

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Biggest surprise for me was how good Torbran was, getting him down pretty much guaranteed on turn 4 every game was outrageous

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Oko is the only card in Brawl that deserves a ban, Fires is fine, and 5-6 drop Brawlers are fine.

The multiple videos of people winning games of Brawl with Oko, Goose, and 58 lands was all you needed to see that.

Everything else feels balanced, and xcept that 5-Color Niv just has the strongest draw engine in the format on tap. WotC please print good LD.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

They can't elk your commander if it's a planeswalker!

xK1
Dec 1, 2003

Bust Rodd posted:

The multiple videos of people winning games of Brawl with Oko, Goose, and 58 lands was all you needed to see that.

I sometimes play a super janky hydra tribal/simic ascendancy deck and even just breeding pool into goose has gotten me a couple insta-concedes in the casual queue.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

xK1 posted:

I sometimes play a super janky hydra tribal/simic ascendancy deck and even just breeding pool into goose has gotten me a couple insta-concedes in the casual queue.

Are you using Oko as your commander? I know a lot of us just concede when we see Oko in the Command Zone

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
I tried to play exactly one Oko game, and that was enough. I also started snap conceding when other U/G enabled decks would drop an Oko.

The only exception was playing against the 6-mana Oko once, which was kind of a sad game for completely opposite reasons.

xK1
Dec 1, 2003

Bust Rodd posted:

Are you using Oko as your commander? I know a lot of us just concede when we see Oko in the Command Zone

No, this wasn't in brawl, just a regular match. He is especially egregious in brawl but people are so sick of him in general even the hint of an Oko is too much for some players.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

IMJack posted:

I added a couple of Overcomes to my BEARS deck as a stall-breaker. It's been worth it.

Math is for blockers, and math is hard.

I used to have Overcomes in there as my finisher.

Bond of Discipline is just hilariously better. But does require you not to be mono-green so

cams
Mar 28, 2003

i haven't had time to play much recently but getting my 5 brawl wins was insanely easy, 3 of my 5 opponents instascooped. i was playing oko but didn't think of that as the reason.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I probably played 50-75 games of Brawl this week, and I agree that 5c Niv is the only other card that might get the axe from being an actual Commander. Even with "bad standard" mana, it's really easy to cast him on curve, and there's not much winning beyond that. I tried out a ton of fair commanders, and if they weren't fully dead on T5, they almost always had either board wipe into Niv or Niv into board wipe.

Mind Rot Rankle had a reasonable time against him, because you can just deny them resources and pick their hand apart (and if you can snag a mana rock out of their hand you actually can deny them on mana), but just about any fair commander stands basically no chance (thinking of like, most green decks that want to play fat nonsense or mono white).

I didn't snap concede to Oko (I played out the games where I was on the play and they didn't have a T1 accelerant). Even those games I was probably worse than 50/50.

cams posted:

i haven't had time to play much recently but getting my 5 brawl wins was insanely easy, 3 of my 5 opponents instascooped. i was playing oko but didn't think of that as the reason.

It was absolutely the reason. It was pretty clear from the outset the card is better than any other commander by a mile, and there's no downside in the event to losing/conceding, so a lot of people just declined to play those games.

Huxley fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Nov 1, 2019

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I think spending wildcards on Oko in advance of the ban is an even safer bet than it was for Field. That card's loving gone--there's no way they can keep a card that's warping multiple formats so bad that people would rather concede than play against it.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

cams posted:

I gave up at 4. I didn't really like the format.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

UW control seems fairly good vs. Oko (Mythical Disputing their t2 Oko is the best feeling in the world) and Fires but not great against anything at all aggressive.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Does the season reset every calendar month?

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!

Sinteres posted:

I think spending wildcards on Oko in advance of the ban is an even safer bet than it was for Field. That card's loving gone--there's no way they can keep a card that's warping multiple formats so bad that people would rather concede than play against it.

It's also such a strong card in isolation (field was made better by scapeshift/golos) that if it somehow remains unbanned it will fit into so many shells.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The only deck that beat me that I really wanted to build but ran out of time on was the guy who went T2 Chandra's Regulator, T3 Flame Sweep my board, T4 Irencrag Feat into big Chandra (his commander). That's the kind of nonsense I tune in for.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

The Bramble posted:

Does the season reset every calendar month?

Roughly, yes. I think it flipped over yesterday instead of today for some reason, but they align pretty closely.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
Since when can commanders be Planeswalkers anyway? I thought only very few ones that had it printed on their card could be.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Jarvisi posted:

Since when can commanders be Planeswalkers anyway? I thought only very few ones that had it printed on their card could be.

It’s a Brawl-specific change.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Jarvisi posted:

Brawl, not EDH

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Aww man. Now that the weekend free-time is here Brawl is gone. Clearly a conspiracy to get me to waste my gems.

I like Brawl 'cause it enables more of my jankbrew tendencies. Though I'd like to go four-of on things, the way-less-competitive environment is nice.

Also at low levels the Oko players don't realize that they can Oko The Great Henge. I don't mind having my dudes Elked when I can play two of them each turn.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Sinteres posted:

Why bother spending them though? It's not like you get back more than you spent.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

thespaceinvader posted:

Why bother spending them though? It's not like you get back more than you spent.

There's duplicate protection, so it'll prevent you from opening Oko's from non-draft/sealed packs.

Just think, that worthless Oko could instead be a sweet Circle of Loyalty!

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Why isn't Brawl a permanent mode aside from Oko breaking the format?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

GrandpaPants posted:

Why isn't Brawl a permanent mode aside from Oko breaking the format?

Because any singleton format is going to be vastly cheaper, especially in Arena