Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Junpei Hyde posted:

fine, you can dunk on me if you WANT

Oh stop, you're a peach.*

*opinion subject to change upon discovering photos of you ecstatic in front of burning crosses or other heinous acts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Arcsquad12 posted:

Is Stephen Merchant still okay?

as long as hes not paying for the bloody coffee.... stingy wanker

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012

DoubleCakes posted:

Again, the creator only did it once or twice and later on realized why it was bad. She has not done it since.

But enough about Rebecca Sugar

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
Todd talks about Cut the Crap, an album I've been waiting for him to get to since Trainwreckords started.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I do like ricky gervais' meltdown just for the fact he explicitly says PC culture isnt hurting comedians, it's fueling comedians like him
That's some stupid bullshit he's saying as a "your burns just make me stronger" sorta thing, of course, but there's truth in the sense that it's an admission all this cancel culture panicking is bullshit. Louis CK is fine, no one's getting killed or disappeared or even censored by "cancel culture" or "PC culture", they're just making chud money.

https://twitter.com/rickygervais/status/1190041146585686016?s=20

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

At first Hazbin Hotel reminded me of "Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt" with the whole "Dexters laboratory" animation vibe but also for an obviously adult audience. But I hadn't watched that show in several years and in retrospect Hazbin is just so much more cleanly animated.

https://i.imgur.com/Y7Jikll.mp4

Eschenique fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Nov 1, 2019

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

The thing about David Brent is that there's a big difference in how he's written between series 1 and 2 of The Office. In the first series he was written as a pretty lovely character indeed, with tons of faults. This first series was a slow burner - it took repeats for the show to REALLY start getting traction and praise. Rightly so because it was brilliant. By the time the 2nd series came along a little over a year after the first was broadcast, it was WAY more hyped and I think Brent was written a fair bit more sympathetically in the 2nd series, which is still good but not *as* good - and that 2nd series/specials Brent has, to be fair to Ricky and those introductions, become the generally received standing of the character over here. I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to spin some of Brent's absolute shitarsery from the 1st series mind.

It's a similar story with a lot of classic UK Sitcom characters. Some of the sharper edges get sanded off as they enter the pantheon. See: Only Fools and Horses and Del Boy's of-the-time casual racism.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
In Extras he was mostly a straight man for all the craziness around him which worked fine and also meant he wasn't really the focus of the show.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
panty and stocking with garterbelt is extremely good

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Captain Invictus posted:

Watch the dub if you have the option. They were given free reign to take liberties with the dialogue, and it's even filthier than the original Japanese script.

Keep in mind that the original script skirted ratings limits by swearing in English to begin with.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Kim Justice posted:

The thing about David Brent is that there's a big difference in how he's written between series 1 and 2 of The Office. In the first series he was written as a pretty lovely character indeed, with tons of faults. This first series was a slow burner - it took repeats for the show to REALLY start getting traction and praise. Rightly so because it was brilliant. By the time the 2nd series came along a little over a year after the first was broadcast, it was WAY more hyped and I think Brent was written a fair bit more sympathetically in the 2nd series, which is still good but not *as* good - and that 2nd series/specials Brent has, to be fair to Ricky and those introductions, become the generally received standing of the character over here. I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to spin some of Brent's absolute shitarsery from the 1st series mind.

It's a similar story with a lot of classic UK Sitcom characters. Some of the sharper edges get sanded off as they enter the pantheon. See: Only Fools and Horses and Del Boy's of-the-time casual racism.

Yeah, I really wish I could find them. They don't seem to be easily accessible on YouTube at least. Because unless my memory's failing, Gervais did get weird about it in the intros. It was less remembering the character more fondly based on the later writing, and more admitting that he positioned Brent in a slightly better light because he was uncomfortable with how people hated things that were just Gervais being Gervais. Something like pointing out how they did the firing to be as sad as possible because he wanted to stick it to the fans who just hated Brent when he was actually a good person who was just a little awkward and he tried his best goddammit, why do they hate me him.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

I've been looking forward to this one also; I've never listened to Cut the Crap and neither my dad or step-dad even acknowledge it.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6jz2gSq7cc

new video by noah gervais about the blair witch game i had no idea was a thing being made

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Everygreen tweet:

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Jon and Kofie would like to welcome you back to the fumble dimension.

Jon's Madden impression is on point, have to say.

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.
lmao Gervais pussied out and deleted it

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Eschenique posted:

At first Hazbin Hotel reminded me of "Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt" with the whole "Dexters laboratory" animation vibe but also for an obviously adult audience. But I hadn't watched that show in several years and in retrospect Hazbin is just so much more cleanly animated.

That's called "thick line animation." It was big in the 60s and 70s, then phased out in the 80s, then came back again in the 90s and early 2000s with western kids shows.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

In Extras he was mostly a straight man for all the craziness around him which worked fine and also meant he wasn't really the focus of the show.

Also the Extras bit where he dressed as a Nazi and made fun of a woman with cerebral palsy formed the basis for one of the best burns back when he tried to interview Garry Shandling and was bodied so hard he gave up on the TV specials the interview was for:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LljWm8umGIE

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
ricky gervais is pewdiepie

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

ricky gervais is pewdiepie

That's not fair. I don't think Pewdiepie searches for his name on Twitter at all hours of the day looking to prove how not offended he is!

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

:hai:

Soon

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
hazbin looks like a lot of effort for something that sucks so much donkey balls out of my entire rear end

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
very good animation. they should probably slow the gently caress down tho

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

Hazbin i so good I watched it twice.

The only thing I don't like is the musical numbers. They should be more ironic and short instead of played straight for minutes worth.

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

Jesus Christ, that first track sounds like something straight out of the Death Crimson soundtrack. Absolute rubbish.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

ArfJason posted:

very good animation. they should probably slow the gently caress down tho

the pilot took like 3 years(or something) to make so thats probably why.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

the pilot took like 3 years(or something) to make so thats probably why.

its crowdfunded right? that explains the long development, and i imagine you want to make every motion shine but they're constantly moving around. it's a bit too hyper imo.

still, from what i watched, tone and writing wise it feels like some kind of animated borderlands and that makes me wanna die

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I didn't love the musical numbers but wasn't bored by them either, but during Inside Every Demon Is A Rainbow the song goes up too many octaves that the singer couldn't follow so they had to digitally alter her voice in the final product.

Now that Hazbin is out, the next pilot I'm keeping an eye out for is Long Gone Gulch.

Do not even ask posted:

Jesus Christ, that first track sounds like something straight out of the Death Crimson soundtrack. Absolute rubbish.

My god is the production non-existent on that track. I kind of want to listen to that album just because I haven't heard a bad album like that in awhile.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Thompsons posted:

Yeah. Gervais'll do that sometimes if he gets called out enough on it.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
There was a youtube video after Louis CK got called out in a major way that was somebody's impression of him and Gervais having a conversation. The Gervais impression made a lovely transphobic misogynistic joke and did this horrifying cackle.
The joke was 'why would anyone want to be a woman? Women can't drive!'
Anyway the point of the video was that Gervais and Louis both should be ignored forever, but if anyone knows what video I'm talking about I'd appreciate it.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

VanSandman posted:

There was a youtube video after Louis CK got called out in a major way that was somebody's impression of him and Gervais having a conversation. The Gervais impression made a lovely transphobic misogynistic joke and did this horrifying cackle.
The joke was 'why would anyone want to be a woman? Women can't drive!'
Anyway the point of the video was that Gervais and Louis both should be ignored forever, but if anyone knows what video I'm talking about I'd appreciate it.

https://twitter.com/LeftAtLondon/status/1079795583114665984?s=20

Also the new SarahZ video is good.

DoubleCakes fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Nov 1, 2019

No.1 Special
Apr 4, 2011
Boss Keys: The World Design of Hollow Knight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ITtPPE-pXE

Polygon Overboard: Obscurio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRKgdPWZAxE

DefunctTV: The History of the Original Ghostbusters

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWrAfikM7Ck

Edit: I didn't see these posted.

No.1 Special fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Nov 1, 2019

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Thompsons posted:

was it that bad? his stuff while long winded is usually interesting at least.

that joker/ricky cackle. and yeah thats pretty much their comedy now, sucks because i liked ricky's extras.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I just feel like being a comedian is a stupid loving profession and that it should stop. I'm so sick of it. None of them are good.

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.
It was mostly an incredibly lame and self-aggrandizing tweet from yet another rear end in a top hat comedian with too much money and still feels the need to namesearch himself, Hannibal Buress had the same thing happen like last week. It's especially funny to me because there was a time when he tried to be some daring outsider (see also: him hosting the oscars/golden globes/whatever) but now he's just a well-heeled shithead going to the same parties with every other media shithead.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

SunAndSpring posted:

I just feel like being a comedian is a stupid loving profession and that it should stop. I'm so sick of it. None of them are good.

Christopher Titus is pretty good. Though there was one segment of his most comedy special where it was a little oof even if the intent was at least good. Weirdly his standup is a little more centrist than his twitter where he goes ham on attacking Trump and Republicans.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Dapper_Swindler posted:

was it that bad? his stuff while long winded is usually interesting at least.

Ricky the bad Gervais, not Noah the good Gervais.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Steve Hughes was a great comedian before he stopped being a self destructive alcoholic drug abuser. Now his stand-up routine is crap but I'm happy he's still alive.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

the laugh is spot on

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
the invention of lying could have been such a fun movie if it didnt veer completely into ricky gervais' insufferable atheism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

Ricky the bad Gervais, not Noah the good Gervais.

lol. sorry.