Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"You'll never know if you can fly unless you take the risk of falling."
https://www.sescoops.com/nwa-releases-statement-regarding-jim-cornettes-controversial-comments/amp/

There's being a "heel" and then there is loving up...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Every wrestler is a novelty. Like, Kenny Omega when you get down to it is the video games v-trigger guy. Okada is the short pants rainmaker guy. Everyone in wrestling is some version of the I didn't do it kid.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

He got a bunch of attention, kept his job, has enough money that he doesn't even have to worry about keeping his job, and probably got a bunch of people to join his "Cornette Cult" or whatever.

Dude learned long ago how to piss people off enough to get himself noticed

The only way you are ever gonna beat him is to ignore him because getting mad and writing tweets and emails to his boss is literally what he wants

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Gumball Gumption posted:

Every wrestler is a novelty. Like, Kenny Omega when you get down to it is the video games v-trigger guy. Okada is the short pants rainmaker guy. Everyone in wrestling is some version of the I didn't do it kid.

That’s literally what a gimmick is. It’s something to make you stand out. I don’t know why Cassidy gets poo poo about it since I’d say he’s one of the more plausible comedy wrestlers out there anyway. His story he tells is that he frustrates his opponents for not taking them seriously and there’s a point where they get so frustrated they make a mistake and he takes advantage with a complicated pin. It’s an easy to understand that Cassidy delivers well every single time. He’s also very good at changing it up when he needs to.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Accidental double post.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
he keeps getting mad at people in AEW being billed at their shoot weights. maybe if they introduce marko stunt as being 6 feet 220 pounds he'll be okay with him

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

he keeps getting mad at people in AEW being billed at their shoot weights. maybe if they introduce marko stunt as being 6 feet 220 pounds he'll be okay with him

clearly this is the better alternative

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2Td2CTuiVY

e: actually this just reminds me that the reason Kevin Nash got in to wrestling was going to wrestling shows and hearing guys being billed at like, 7' when he could see the tops of their heads so he decided poo poo if these guys can get booked as giants I could clean up in this biz

Alaois fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Nov 2, 2019

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

Jim is the kind of guy who would refuse to watch Floyd Mayweather or Conor MacGregor fight, not because they're poo poo human beings, but because they're not heavyweights.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Gang, I'm starting to think Jim Cornette is a bit of a jerkoff.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

LividLiquid posted:

Jim Cornette made Batista a literal sea monster. WWE didn't force him to do that. He just did that.

A sea monster. In a landlocked state. Who wrestles.

Technically, Batista came from the Ohio River.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

double post

What's up with the forums?

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Nov 2, 2019

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
i dislike cornette but leviathan was pretty cool, and a good use of batista's extremely limited talents at that time

people forget how terrible he was at everything for a while

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Low Desert Punk posted:

i dislike cornette but leviathan was pretty cool, and a good use of batista's extremely limited talents at that time

people forget how terrible he was at everything for a while
That's not the point. It's antithetical to everything he says he likes about wrestling. It needs to be real and presented as a sport and small people can't do it, but here's a literal monster from fiction.

He doesn't say things to rile people up. He believes every single word he says. Cognitive dissonance is absolutely his deal.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Jim Cornette is the kind of selfish motherfucker that it’s ok if he fucks up but it’s the death of the empire if you do. gently caress that. That’s a child’s mentality.

He’s cashed in his credibility as a wrestling historian for radio shock jock stuff but not the shock jock money. Even Bubba the Love Sponge, a guy who can’t even tie his own shoes, is wealthier than him.

I’m pretty sure Deray or some other woke merchant tweeted out a clip of Cornette with the quote of “whiteness at work”. If they haven’t it’s absolutely an apt generalization of Cornette.

Tldr: mediocre poo poo child Jim Cornette.

coconono fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Nov 2, 2019

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

what if his name is cornette because he's a sexualized corn on the cob wearing a crown

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

coconono posted:

Jim Cornette is the kind of selfish motherfucker that it’s ok if he fucks up but it’s the death of the empire if you do. gently caress that. That’s a child’s mentality.

He’s cashed in his credibility as a wrestling historian for radio shock jock stuff but not the shock jock money. Even Bubba the Love Sponge, a guy who can’t even tie his own shoes, is wealthier than him.

I’m pretty sure Deray or some other woke merchant tweeted out a clip of Cornette with the quote of “whiteness at work”. If they haven’t it’s absolutely an apt generalization of Cornette.

Tldr: mediocre poo poo child Jim Cornette.

It does disappoint me that he lost his legacy as voice of old school to become "man yells at cloud" but it certainly kept him more relevant than any time he has been in a decade.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Mel Mudkiper posted:

It does disappoint me that he lost his legacy as voice of old school to become "man yells at cloud" but it certainly kept him more relevant than any time he has been in a decade.

He’s the voice of America’s ‘civilized’ horrid goblin tribes.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I have a friend who takes Cornette seriously but he also likes Jordan Peterson and Joe Rogan so hey at least it's on brand

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
I don't know how I managed this but I managed to repost something that I initially posted hours ago; sorry!

IceAgeComing fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Nov 2, 2019

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

IceAgeComing posted:

I don't know how I managed this but I managed to repost something that I initially posted hours ago; sorry!

the forums are currently melting down

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

i should clarify what i think i meant by novelty. a gimmick that doesn't take itself seriously, or "winks at the audience" as cornette says would be a novelty. i think a man who thinks he is a rooster is a dumb gimmick all around, for instance, but i like it better when it is done in earnest. i don't like orange cassidy because his gimmick is basically anti-wrestling.

also it took me like 15 minutes to figure out zombieman is the undertaker. that's kind of a weird case because if i was an adult when he started with that gimmick i don't know if i would have liked it, but since it has been around since i was a kid it makes it different. honestly i'm not even a huge fan but i mean it's the undertaker.

maybe i'd like it better if everyone's gimmick was that they drive a trans am, get sleazy women, and wrestle to squander up enough money to buy a bigger trailer

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
oc is actually post wrestling

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Mulaney Power Move posted:

i should clarify what i think i meant by novelty. a gimmick that doesn't take itself seriously, or "winks at the audience" as cornette says would be a novelty. i think a man who thinks he is a rooster is a dumb gimmick all around, for instance, but i like it better when it is done in earnest. i don't like orange cassidy because his gimmick is basically anti-wrestling.

orange cassidy is pretty fuckin earnest considering how dedicated he is to wearing sunglasses at all times

there IS charm in people who fully embrace the dumbest gimmick imaginable (lol tugboat) but it's not because of the gimmick itself

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Mulaney Power Move posted:

also it took me like 15 minutes to figure out zombieman is the undertaker. that's kind of a weird case because if i was an adult when he started with that gimmick i don't know if i would have liked it, but since it has been around since i was a kid it makes it different. honestly i'm not even a huge fan but i mean it's the undertaker.

maybe i'd like it better if everyone's gimmick was that they drive a trans am, get sleazy women, and wrestle to squander up enough money to buy a bigger trailer

In fairness, Undertaker hasn't used the "actual deadman" gimmick in a long time - at some point it just turned into Octagon Gothdad but with occasional lightning bolts.

But yeah, there's a specific kind of indy comedy and indy comedy gimmick that essentially requires you to have watched wrestling for a couple of decades in order to get the joke, and because you guys are all smart to the business, we're going to do all of the matches standing on our heads tonight. I think at one point CHIKARA had a character who was a time-traveler, and he'd feud with the evil future version of himself. Or PWG had a recurring match which would end every year with someone putting their thumb up another wrestler's rear end, which then led to the gimmick of Jushin Liger showing up and everyone in the match trying to stop a legend from being involved in their Cornette-bait.

Is that killing the business? No, that genie is already out of the bottle, and that sort of stuff is targeted at exactly the people who go to see CHIKARA or PWG and want to have fun doing so. And if I was wrestling, I'd rather get over doing the floss dance than taking stupid bumps in front of 50 people. But I'd absolutely agree that you can't do it on a "proper" show if you have an intention to attract a new audience and create mainstream stars. You can't have your product essentially be a parody of itself.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

there are literal children already dressing up as orange cassidy at shows, how does that fit in to the narrative that you need to have followed wrestling for at least 15 years of your adult life to "get" the gimmick

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

FullLeatherJacket posted:

In fairness, Undertaker hasn't used the "actual deadman" gimmick in a long time - at some point it just turned into Octagon Gothdad but with occasional lightning bolts.

But yeah, there's a specific kind of indy comedy and indy comedy gimmick that essentially requires you to have watched wrestling for a couple of decades in order to get the joke, and because you guys are all smart to the business, we're going to do all of the matches standing on our heads tonight. I think at one point CHIKARA had a character who was a time-traveler, and he'd feud with the evil future version of himself. Or PWG had a recurring match which would end every year with someone putting their thumb up another wrestler's rear end, which then led to the gimmick of Jushin Liger showing up and everyone in the match trying to stop a legend from being involved in their Cornette-bait.

Is that killing the business? No, that genie is already out of the bottle, and that sort of stuff is targeted at exactly the people who go to see CHIKARA or PWG and want to have fun doing so. And if I was wrestling, I'd rather get over doing the floss dance than taking stupid bumps in front of 50 people. But I'd absolutely agree that you can't do it on a "proper" show if you have an intention to attract a new audience and create mainstream stars. You can't have your product essentially be a parody of itself.

It’s a good thing Cassidy consistently gets massive pops in every town they go.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Cassidy legit is the easiest gimmick of all time to understand. He’s apathetic and wants to end the match as quick as possible because he’s too cool to care.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
And here's the thing: His gimmick only 'exposes the business' if the other guy sells the lazy kicks. Which hasn't been happening in AEW. Guys only sell when he does real moves. So the gimmick in AEW is 'OC mocks the heels by doing fake strikes, heel gets mad, OC then does a dropkick or dive and the heel looks like a fool for getting mad and giving him an opening'.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

https://imgur.com/2gFb2i1 (linked cuz it's a gif)

also, and this is important, he's legitimately cool as hell

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 24 days!
I like listening to Cornette's wrestling history stuff and whenever he used to have Kenny Bolin on his show. Beyond that, though, I learned a long time ago to tune him out when it comes to virtually any other subject.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Gaz-L posted:

And here's the thing: His gimmick only 'exposes the business' if the other guy sells the lazy kicks. Which hasn't been happening in AEW. Guys only sell when he does real moves. So the gimmick in AEW is 'OC mocks the heels by doing fake strikes, heel gets mad, OC then does a dropkick or dive and the heel looks like a fool for getting mad and giving him an opening'.

And I think that's fine. There's plenty they can do with him as an ancillary character who comes in and does a spot, but what they can't do is have him wrestle actual matches with his hands in his pockets (unless he's going to do his one spot and then lose).

I'm sure you'd get a pop from an AEW crowd having him be a full-time wrestler, but it also makes it a send-up of what you're trying to sell and removes all suspension of disbelief, which is what you're going to need if you want to attract people who don't watch wrestling to get emotionally invested in something like Cody vs Jericho.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

And I think that's fine. There's plenty they can do with him as an ancillary character who comes in and does a spot, but what they can't do is have him wrestle actual matches with his hands in his pockets (unless he's going to do his one spot and then lose).

I'm sure you'd get a pop from an AEW crowd having him be a full-time wrestler, but it also makes it a send-up of what you're trying to sell and removes all suspension of disbelief, which is what you're going to need if you want to attract people who don't watch wrestling to get emotionally invested in something like Cody vs Jericho.

have you ever actually seen him wrestle a full match as orange cassidy

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I'm not even sure he's seen a single comedy wrestler. Not Santino Marella, not Colt Cabana, not Toru Yano or Rysuke Taguchi or Kikutaro.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Gaz-L posted:

I'm not even sure he's seen a single comedy wrestler. Not Santino Marella, not Colt Cabana, not Toru Yano or Rysuke Taguchi or Kikutaro.

Of course you can do comedy in wrestling. Catweazle was doing comedy matches back in the 70s. Grado was the most over guy in the country coming out with a fanny pack to Like A Prayer. That's not new at all.

But the comedy you do needs to be in the context of the show, and not just a guy yelling "freeze frame" and going to get a hot dog while the other wrestlers stand still. There's a threshold of believability beyond which you're just being wacky for the sake of it, which is a niche product that goes nowhere and takes away from what you're trying to do in terms of having people care about your characters. The point is that they need to keep him on the right side of that line.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Of course you can do comedy in wrestling. Catweazle was doing comedy matches back in the 70s. Grado was the most over guy in the country coming out with a fanny pack to Like A Prayer. That's not new at all.

But the comedy you do needs to be in the context of the show, and not just a guy yelling "freeze frame" and going to get a hot dog while the other wrestlers stand still. There's a threshold of believability beyond which you're just being wacky for the sake of it, which is a niche product that goes nowhere and takes away from what you're trying to do in terms of having people care about your characters. The point is that they need to keep him on the right side of that line.

Alaois posted:

have you ever actually seen him wrestle a full match as orange cassidy

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

But the comedy you do needs to be in the context of the show, and not just a guy yelling "freeze frame" and going to get a hot dog while the other wrestlers stand still

This is a good spot tho

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Gaz-L posted:

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

That is an apples and oranges comparison though (hoho), since Cassidy's gimmick isn't like, altering the fabric of wrestling reality to do what he does. Not even in the sense of everyone magically being weak to Joey Ryan's dick. He just goes about matches in the laziest fashion possible, in spite of actually being *super* talented when he starts giving a poo poo. That's a really good character.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It's way closer to Rysuke Taguichi wiggling his butt at people and pretending to be a rugby coach right up until he has a big match and then just tears poo poo up than to the Osirian Portal hypnotising a whole locker room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i dont give a poo poo about the story of old wrestling and even if i cared cornette wouldnt be my main source
cassidy is more than just a comedy character and i hope aew push him in that direction, what are his motivations? how good/bad of a wrestler he really is? etc