Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Forget roping, what's up with people who twitch their mouse around over the battlefield turning it into a constantly blinking mess of highlights whenever it's not their turn?

they're giving themselves carpal tunnel syndrome to distract you

i thought it got patched out though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
If I recall correctly, what was patched out was that it used to crash the client for some people? I think people still do it just to be annoying.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Huh, somehow didn't notice the event until just a little while ago. Got an extremely fast 5-1 with Grumgully Proliferate that I threw together in about 5 seconds, the one loss was to mono-B discard. Fun event, though, I like these Pauper style events.

Edit: Oh, I guess it just started. Here's my decklist for anyone who's curious. I have no idea if it will stay good (or if I just got lucky) as people put more thought into their decks, but it's a starting point.

Deck
4 Shock (M20) 160
13 Forest (ANA) 65
4 Grumgully, the Generous (ELD) 192
11 Mountain (ANA) 64
4 Barkhide Troll (M20) 165
4 Evolution Sage (WAR) 159
4 Pollenbright Druid (WAR) 173
3 Sedge Scorpion (M20) 192
2 Mowu, Loyal Companion (WAR) 167
3 Zhur-Taa Goblin (RNA) 215
4 Domri's Ambush (WAR) 192
4 Rhythm of the Wild (RNA) 201

Shooting Blanks fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Nov 3, 2019

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I kinda think you have to accept at least some of the tapped duals. RG looks like a good choice though, a lot of the aggro decks are very small.

I tried WR Knights, it sucked, and then tried UR draw2/their turn mix up and it brutalized. I played against a mill deck and he saw Crackling Drake, just threw in the towel.

Mono white or mono red both seem good, or maybe UW fliers. Chandra's Pyrohelix has looked good against every deck I've seen so far, as is flamesweep. A more controlling UR might be the way to go.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
My advice: If you're playing green, you really want Kraul Harpooner. UW flyers is fast as hell if you're not interacting with them.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Spiderdrake posted:

I kinda think you have to accept at least some of the tapped duals. RG looks like a good choice though, a lot of the aggro decks are very small.

I tried WR Knights, it sucked, and then tried UR draw2/their turn mix up and it brutalized. I played against a mill deck and he saw Crackling Drake, just threw in the towel.

Mono white or mono red both seem good, or maybe UW fliers. Chandra's Pyrohelix has looked good against every deck I've seen so far, as is flamesweep. A more controlling UR might be the way to go.

I thought about this, but it came down to speed - a lot of the decks are pure aggro. The only card there that requires 2 mana of the same color is the Troll (and to be fair, the one game I lost I only had 1 forest). Everything else can be played around very handily. The nice thing about the deck in action is that it can go wide or tall (or both) pretty quickly once you get some of the engines in play. And there are a lot of those engines at 3CMC between Evolution Sage, Grumgully, and Rhythm of the Wild.

Jabor posted:

My advice: If you're playing green, you really want Kraul Harpooner. UW flyers is fast as hell if you're not interacting with them.

That's what Domri's Ambush and Shock were for. I think my second game was against aggro UW flyers and I was able to beat them pretty handily. If that turns out to be the event meta, I almost wonder if Collision/Colossus wouldn't be better - I didn't end up with many creatures in the graveyard in any of my games, so if it's an Empyrean Eagle rush and one of the engines doesn't come online, I can see that turning ugly.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I hope soon they'll start letting us pick our default styles for every card, now that we're starting to get so many variants

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It’s awesome how many people in the thread equate playing as fast as possible with “skill” and when basically all the best players in the last 4 MCC/MCQ all play slow as poo poo, even the dude on Mardu Knights.

ATTN: if you’re interested in playing Standard still but don’t want to or can’t run Sultai/Simic food, the two best decks that have good win rates vs them are Temur Reclamation and U/W control. Rakdos Knights probably as well.

Also the very best part of grinding to
mythic on Ladder is that you get to SKIP GOLD when it resets! That’s amazing!

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Nov 3, 2019

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Bust Rodd posted:

It’s awesome how many people in the thread equate playing as fast as possible with “skill” and when basically all the best players in the last 4 MCC/MCQ all play slow as poo poo, even the dude on Mardu Knights.

Oh word? People play very carefully with money on the line?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

Oh word? People play very carefully with money on the line?

Practicing careful play makes you a more careful player.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Shooting Blanks posted:

Huh, somehow didn't notice the event until just a little while ago. Got an extremely fast 5-1 with Grumgully Proliferate that I threw together in about 5 seconds, the one loss was to mono-B discard. Fun event, though, I like these Pauper style events.

Edit: Oh, I guess it just started. Here's my decklist for anyone who's curious. I have no idea if it will stay good (or if I just got lucky) as people put more thought into their decks, but it's a starting point.

Deck
4 Shock (M20) 160
13 Forest (ANA) 65
4 Grumgully, the Generous (ELD) 192
11 Mountain (ANA) 64
4 Barkhide Troll (M20) 165
4 Evolution Sage (WAR) 159
4 Pollenbright Druid (WAR) 173
3 Sedge Scorpion (M20) 192
2 Mowu, Loyal Companion (WAR) 167
3 Zhur-Taa Goblin (RNA) 215
4 Domri's Ambush (WAR) 192
4 Rhythm of the Wild (RNA) 201

Thanks for this. Also went 5-1. If I'd been more aggressive, I might have gone 5-0, but still a fun deck. Most of them conceded when i'd get 3 or 4 7/7s out.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I 5-0ed with mono red and no game was particularly close. Good call on

Spiderdrake posted:

Chandra's Pyrohelix has looked good against every deck I've seen so far.

Which was actually insane every time I cast it. Now I'm going to play the rest of the event just brewing two-color decks for my quests. I just can't bring myself to not b-line for the event completion, though.

Deck
24 Mountain (ANA) 64
4 Scorch Spitter (M20) 159
4 Shock (M19) 156
4 Tin Street Dodger (RNA) 120
4 Torch Courier (GRN) 119
4 Chandra's Pyrohelix (WAR) 120
4 Ember Hauler (M20) 137
4 Light Up the Stage (RNA) 107
4 Skewer the Critics (RNA) 115
1 Cosmotronic Wave (GRN) 95
3 Slaying Fire (ELD) 143

(Probably should have been 22 land but I didn't really think all that much about it.)

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Event competition?

It's more than just the card styles on the line?

(And yeah, even with Cavalcade banned, mono red aggro seems to be the way to go for the common/uncommon only format, albeit I really struggled against black/white lifelink flyers and Pridemate/Aerialist.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Forget roping, what's up with people who twitch their mouse around over the battlefield turning it into a constantly blinking mess of highlights whenever it's not their turn?

Biggest idiots in the game. Easily. It's the worst when they combine the infinite highlights with 30 second decision making.

Lone Goat posted:

imagine being dumb as poo poo and begging to play mono red mirrors 24/7 lol

Found the slow player

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

thespaceinvader posted:

Event competition?

Event completion. I just meant, if I need to win 5 to get everything, I want to win those 5 asap. Then I can actually enjoy the event a little bit.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Bring back hanging, but only for people who play mill.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Huxley posted:

Event completion. I just meant, if I need to win 5 to get everything, I want to win those 5 asap. Then I can actually enjoy the event a little bit.

Oh, my bad.

I'm finding it's not quite as interesting a format as I was hoping, with the accelerators and bombs, it's feeling super grindy a lot of the time, even with mono-red aggro.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
My main thing is that you can just play a full power 8Drake deck with Saheelis, i've not seen anything else that seems to match the level of that deck.

It also doesn't seem like there are any decent payoffs for a ramp deck? Beanstalk Giant maybe?

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

Trollbred Guardian, Wrecking Beast and Siege Wurm are all big tramplers for payoff. Syr Konrad can also punch through an impressive amount of damage per turn if you're just mana dumping with him.

You could probably make aggro decks miserable with a playset of arboreal grazers, leafkin druids, cry of the carnarium and revenge of ravens ramping into big stuff, but why draw out a quick format?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/lsv/status/1191043545940889600?s=21

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Is it uncommon for brand new cards to immediately top 8 non-rotating format tourneys

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

zoux posted:

Is it uncommon for brand new cards to immediately top 8 non-rotating format tourneys

Sort of? It they are powerful enough (and obvious enough, I suppose) they will make an impact on non-rotating formats.

Fell Fire
Jan 30, 2012

flatluigi posted:

I hope soon they'll start letting us pick our default styles for every card, now that we're starting to get so many variants

I think you can do this.

If you click on the card like you want to craft one, it looks like you can toggle to buying different styles. I'm not sure if that changes what you play with though.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Fell Fire posted:

I think you can do this.

If you click on the card like you want to craft one, it looks like you can toggle to buying different styles. I'm not sure if that changes what you play with though.

You can pick the style yes but when clicking the 'apply styles' button you can't say 'I want the full art over the showcase frame' or 'I don't want to see the stained glass planeswalkers ever again'

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

flatluigi posted:

You can pick the style yes but when clicking the 'apply styles' button you can't say 'I want the full art over the showcase frame' or 'I don't want to see the stained glass planeswalkers ever again'

i'm explicitly not cashing in my mastery orbs or playing these weekend formats because i haven't figured out how to make my default cards JUST THE REGULAR ONES PLEASE for draft.

like if you could actually pick which, i might make the top picks in each colour the fancy ones, but there's no world where i need my eye draw ntoward a fuckin Shining Armor.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
that seems a little much

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Drewjitsu posted:

Sort of? It they are powerful enough (and obvious enough, I suppose) they will make an impact on non-rotating formats.

It really depends. Stuff like Once Upon A Time and Veil of Summer were definitely printed with one eye on eternal formats while Oko is definitely an accident.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah never in their wildest dreams did they envision a $30,000 3/3 elk

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
EZ 5-1.

Deck
2 Unsummon (M20) 78
2 Lawmage's Binding (RNA) 190
4 Tranquil Cove (M20) 259
9 Island (ROE) 235
4 Spectral Sailor (M20) 76
4 Winged Words (M20) 80
4 Ardenvale Tactician (ELD) 5
4 Empyrean Eagle (M20) 208
4 Healer's Hawk (GRN) 14
4 Rally of Wings (WAR) 27
2 Depose // Deploy (RNA) 225
4 Cerulean Drake (M20) 53
4 Sphinx of New Prahv (RNA) 208
9 Plains (ROE) 229

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Eej posted:

It really depends. Stuff like Once Upon A Time and Veil of Summer were definitely printed with one eye on eternal formats while Oko is definitely an accident.

Once Upon a Time is literally an unused card from Modern Horizons so

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN
I went 9-2 with this, with 6 of those being before I remembered that Empyrean Hawk is an uncommon and not a rare.

4 Healer's Hawk (GRN) 14
4 Rally of Wings (WAR) 27
4 Loyal Pegasus (M20) 28
2 Cloudkin Seer (M20) 54
4 Faerie Miscreant (M20) 58
4 Spectral Sailor (M20) 76
4 Winged Words (M20) 80
4 Empyrean Eagle (M20) 208
4 Tranquil Cove (M20) 259
4 Faerie Guidemother (ELD) 11
4 Faerie Vandal (ELD) 45
10 Plains (ELD) 253
8 Island (ELD) 257

It works pretty well. Play aggressively but be cognizant of the card advantage that's in the deck, except for the times when you can just windmill slam Rally of Wings down and wind the game out of nowhere.

RPZip fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Nov 4, 2019

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
My BEARS deck only had a few Rares and Mythics so I pulled them out, filled in the gaps with extra copies of what I already had, and made it through the event in about 8 games.

I like the new "Wilds" stage but both of the Eldraine stages lack for little clickables. I'm very stupid for noticing that. But I'm the kind of nerd who tears down the statue of Bolas while I'm waiting for my opponent to do something.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

IMJack posted:

I like the new "Wilds" stage but both of the Eldraine stages lack for little clickables. I'm very stupid for noticing that. But I'm the kind of nerd who tears down the statue of Bolas while I'm waiting for my opponent to do something.

Same thing here. They're really phoning it in with these new stages. I need some distraction while my opponent mouses over every highlight-able object on the screen while trying to make up their mind

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I have a Grixis Adventures deck that doesn't work reliably enough to actually bring to ranked, but when it works, goddrat it's satisfying.

Just had an opponent playing Cook the Cat concede as soon as I wished for Unmoored Ego because he knew as well as I did that next turn all his ovens were getting exiled. Yeah, you'd better run, buddy.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

I almost wonder if it would be worth it for WOTC to add a third flavor of Standard play beyond Ranked and Unranked - call it Janked. It won't count towards your daily/weekly quest rewards, maybe a separate reward track, but also with a separate ban list to get rid of all the meta decks and encourage brews.

I have no idea what the size of the player base is, if this would fracture it too much, or if anyone else would even want it. Maybe make it a permanent paupers format or something? I'm purely spitballing here, but a lot of people complain about running jank against Oko/Goose constantly, this would be one way to mitigate that.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Or maybe just abandon your weird preconceived notions of what unranked means and just snap concede when your play a meta deck you think is too strong for your brew.

There is literally ZERO downside to just auto losing a ranked match you don’t want to play.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

zoux posted:

There's a vintage archetype based around War Karn and Mystic Forge to probably not that uncommon.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Bust Rodd posted:

Or maybe just abandon your weird preconceived notions of what unranked means and just snap concede when your play a meta deck you think is too strong for your brew.

There is literally ZERO downside to just auto losing a ranked match you don’t want to play.

Eh, I do think there's something to be said for Arena doing standard events where they ban cards that are dominating the format. I'd almost rather they try out the Oko ban on Arena first before they ban it entirely just to see how the meta shakes out.

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights
Arena already holds events where they ban the popular meta cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
And “I just want to play my terrible trash gigajank against exclusively bad, off meta decks and everyone who plays good decks in unranked is a spiteful troll” is literally the second most popular post in this thread.

Reality Sinner posted:

There's a vintage archetype based around War Karn and Mystic Forge to probably not that uncommon.

That archetype (Mono-brown) existed for years and years before those cards existed, they just slotted in.