Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Phlegmish posted:

This attitude of taking pride in being scammed is very interesting
:capitalism::911::liberalism:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
I think returning customers might not return because there are so many other video games to buy. Loyalty doesn’t mean much when you have thousands of options.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I think the funniest bit is Bethesda is still going to have learned nothing from 76 and the next elder scrolls is still going to sell gangbusters even though it’s going to be released as a buggy, unfinished piece of poo poo.

I would also put money on them trying to insert paid mods on release.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Why wouldn't Bethesda be able to do a great single-player game with the same formula than before?

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Let the Xcom guys make another Fallout Tactics game Todd you absolute water trash coward

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Imagine what Arkane could do with a Fallout spinoff. Maybe use rocket-launchers as a viable means of jumping up ledges.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Smol posted:

Why wouldn't Bethesda be able to do a great single-player game with the same formula than before?

The people who made those good single player experiences are gone. All that's left is a bunch of management, middle managers, and paycheck seekers.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Lmao, Ah yes those notorious paycheck seekers. Those idiot devs and artists that want to be paid for their work.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Xik posted:

Lmao, Ah yes those notorious paycheck seekers. Those idiot devs and artists that want to be paid for their work.

I think they meant the video game industry version of me at my job; a c stringer that is there because they like being able to pay bills and whatever they’re willing to give is enough to keep their job. They’re all Wallys.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

mysterious frankie posted:

I think they meant the video game industry version of me at my job; a c stringer that is there because they like being able to pay bills and whatever they’re willing to give is enough to keep their job. They’re all Wallys.

I feel like this pretty much sums up my entire career.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

mysterious frankie posted:

No, I got it, but :capitalism:

Everyone should actively try to be this way if they work for a for-profit organisation (which is basically the entire industry), otherwise your extra effort is just being funnelled off into someone else's pocket.

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
todd make a dollar, i make a dime

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

Drunk Theory posted:

The people who made those good single player experiences are gone. All that's left is a bunch of management, middle managers, and paycheck seekers.

Are they? I don’t think there are very many opportunities for making video games in Maryland outside Bethesda and Firaxis.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Valtonen posted:

Maybe not all but at least a few of the main settlements requiring some nonradiant, no-retard quests that then show up at the ending, such as clearing the gunners from whatever town it was where the minuteguys got killed at thats then totally forgot about by the plot?

Valtonen posted:

The Institute sounded absolutely out of place retarded already at fallout 3 and bethesda never figured out a single reason for their existence on the years between developing 3 and 4.

Just wanted to reiterate that please do not post slurs like this. I think we can be better in both humour and description.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

the correct term to use is "cspam modded"

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

What kind of c-spam moderator wrote the minuteman dialogue

What kind of c-spam moderator decided the railroads secret password is railroad

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Drunk Theory posted:

bethesda has actually really good employee retention by industry standards

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Berke Negri posted:

That's like saying Fallout 76 is a really good game compared to the worst section of mobile games.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

What kind of c-spam moderator decided the railroads secret password is railroad

Wait, I never played this far in FO4.

Is the password really Railroad?

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

NofrikinfuN posted:

I feel like this pretty much sums up my entire career.

Good news, we’re heroes of the revolution.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Cynic Jester posted:

That's like saying Fallout 76 is a really good game compared to the worst section of mobile games.

their mobile games are actually pretty decent too

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

ISRAEL DOESN'T HAVE CIVILIANS THEY'RE ALL VALID TARGETS
I'm a huge dickbag ignore me

FairGame posted:

Yes it is.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
I think it was when I watched the one let's player duo I ever watched (who have like 50 subscribers/5-10 active viewers on twitch) play the 'finding the institute' quest on their first playthrough of FO4, and it was literally...'follow a red stripe on a publicly accessible road in Boston to find letters for the password on in-plain-sight signs' that I made my final decision never to buy or play FO4, despite being an enormous NV fan and not 100% hating every single aspect of FO3 (at the time).

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

FairGame posted:

It's not that dumb, you would need the context that the door you're trying to get into is the Railroad HQ, which isn't obvious if you find it without following the trail and if you do you're supposed to be able to figure it out. Also the Freedom Trail is one of those Boston landmarks that was never not going to be used in a quest somehow.

7c Nickel fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Nov 3, 2019

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
The password itself is dumb but the conveyance is interesting because it takes you all around Boston and through a bunch of neat encounters (the urban ruin is by far the strongest map design in F4 and the least like their other games). Its also not really that dumb because you find out after the fact that they were watching you on cameras the whole time and basically funnel you into a small killbox to interrogate you so if you weren't the godlike unstoppable protagonist that would be the part where you die if you had ill intentions.

Really other than the clumsy and poorly connected Bethesda writing the Railroad has the strongest faction questline in the game. Every other faction is for the most part 'go kill the guys then report back', even the nonradiant ones. The Railroad has you doing sneaky stuff and using codewords and listening to dead drops. Like if you had quest markers off it's the only questline in the game that's closest to the Morrowind design ethos of being able to figure out where to go next by talking to people and reading stuff and looking for landmarks (not always successfully but the others don't even really try).

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

the "red line" is the freedom trail and is an actual irl thing i think

it basically loops you around central boston past all the historic colonial landmarks

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

There's also one in Salem, but they reduced that city to a few landmarks in game.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Berke Negri posted:

it basically loops you around central boston past all the historic colonial landmarks

True. It's a line of red cobblestones set into the pavement; in places where that's not practical, it's a red line painted on the ground.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Berke Negri posted:

There's no need for crunch time if you release your games unfinished and let modders pick up the slack.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Perhaps todd is just doing anything necessary to protect the cadre of 60 year old hugging skeleton placers who only know how to work in his decrepit nightmare trash pile engine

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
grind those bones to make my bread

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

7c Nickel posted:

It's not that dumb, you would need the context that the door you're trying to get into is the Railroad HQ, which isn't obvious if you find it without following the trail and if you do you're supposed to be able to figure it out. Also the Freedom Trail is one of those Boston landmarks that was never not going to be used in a quest somehow.

If I recall correctly they sprayed painted the Railroad logo next to the mechanical lock...and on the front door of the building it’s in. Besides, having the password be the name of the organization is dumb no matter how you try to spin it, they’d be better off having it be ‘password’ or ‘guest’, at least then Beth could play it off as a joke.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Berke Negri posted:

I get that, but, uh, having a famous landmark hide the incredibly dumb password to your secret base from the incredibly prolific and comparatively intelligent (to super-mutants or raiders or whatever, anyway) agents of your mortal enemies?

That's what I had an issue with.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Also they are in a tiny room deep in a sewer with no exits just waiting for you to get there?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

The door to the headquarters is closed behind them. There's an alternate exit in the headquarters.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Back Hack posted:

If I recall correctly they sprayed painted the Railroad logo next to the mechanical lock...and on the front door of the building it’s in. Besides, having the password be the name of the organization is dumb no matter how you try to spin it, they’d be better off having it be ‘password’ or ‘guest’, at least then Beth could play it off as a joke.

Their symbol is just a lantern, again it's meaningless without the context you get from the message at the start of the Freedom Trail.

EimiYoshikawa posted:

I get that, but, uh, having a famous landmark hide the incredibly dumb password to your secret base from the incredibly prolific and comparatively intelligent (to super-mutants or raiders or whatever, anyway) agents of your mortal enemies?

That's what I had an issue with.

There's only so far you can push this kind of poo poo before it becomes untenable for the playerbase. If this was a niche game about spycraft, I would agree it's way too simple. For most people, following the (sometimes difficult) trail through the city, having to write or keep in mind the letters/numbers written on each historic marker, and then finding the door under the church is going to be enough.

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You're an asshole, Mr. Grinch
You really are a cunt
You're as cuddly as a cockring
and charming being a shitheel

FUCK YOURFRIEND!
I had to look up the solution for it, but I'm an idiot. I followed the trail and ended up at the intractable wall and was like uhhhhhh??? I reckon that a good portion of the playerbase had to look it up, as well.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Literally every NPC knows that the freedom trail leads to the railroad, it's not a secret. Why the institute hasn't sent a courser squad to follow it is another question

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Live, in game, right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
is that a bundle of the things you could have won during the event? If so, lmao.