Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

the problem with mulaney power move's posts is that i can't functionally read and respond to them because every time i see his name i just think "drat, that's a real mulaney power move"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

Mulaney Power Move posted:

ok maybe i should calm down. i would watch more orange cassidy matches but i still need to go through every checkmate match from wccw. my time is very valuable.

this gimmick sucks rear end dude

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

i think i have seen every checkmate match though

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
ok

BhindiBhaji Boogie
Aug 6, 2013

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
I have a bit of a soft spot for Cornette in spite of his lovely opinions about wrestling because as a kid in the 90s he hit almost every "heat seeking" note that you could to make a 7-10 year old child hate you. The grating voice, cowardice and generally punchable face were the perfect heel combination. It is pretty hard to reconcile how he can be upset about Kenny Omega gesticulating and dressing up like video game characters when he had fake asian Yoshi Kwan and a Ninja Turtle wrestling in SMW. I didnt watch a ton of SMW stuff but I imagine these were not isolated incidents. I believe at one point Balls Mahoney portrayed a retarded man who had a pet cat get murdered as part of an angle. What are some other examples of Cornette embracing fantasy wrestling when it suits him and making GBS threads on it when it doesnt?

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

BhindiBhaji Boogie posted:

What are some other examples of Cornette embracing fantasy wrestling when it suits him and making GBS threads on it when it doesnt?

One that springs to mind is his insistence that promoters/companies shouldn't let their financial backers force them to violate their product's credibility. Except for him when Rick Rubin demanded to see a mummy in SMW, that was totally different and not at all comparable to Best Friends dressing like Rick and Morty for five minutes to placate TNT.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

I have a bit of a soft spot for Cornette in spite of his lovely opinions about wrestling because as a kid in the 90s he hit almost every "heat seeking" note that you could to make a 7-10 year old child hate you. The grating voice, cowardice and generally punchable face were the perfect heel combination.

hard to tell how much of that was him playing it up and how much was him just being himself

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

Mulaney Power Move posted:

i think i have seen every checkmate match though

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

so what if i like wccw more than aew

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

I have a bit of a soft spot for Cornette in spite of his lovely opinions about wrestling because as a kid in the 90s he hit almost every "heat seeking" note that you could to make a 7-10 year old child hate you. The grating voice, cowardice and generally punchable face were the perfect heel combination. It is pretty hard to reconcile how he can be upset about Kenny Omega gesticulating and dressing up like video game characters when he had fake asian Yoshi Kwan and a Ninja Turtle wrestling in SMW. I didnt watch a ton of SMW stuff but I imagine these were not isolated incidents. I believe at one point Balls Mahoney portrayed a retarded man who had a pet cat get murdered as part of an angle. What are some other examples of Cornette embracing fantasy wrestling when it suits him and making GBS threads on it when it doesnt?

I mean the thing is. It’s ok to like the creative output he had and connected with you. I love all his old heel work. He had a fully formed fully realized gimmick and was a lot of fun to watch. That doesn’t mean he’s not a piece of poo poo. And current day Cornette is truly a shell of what he used to be. He needs to retire fully but there are too many people who are willing to buy his grift.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Just out of curiosity because I've never thought to ask.... just what the hell classifies something as "an outlaw mud show"? It's professional wrestling so what was "outlaw"? I'm assuming it was somebody who put on a show without clearance from a sports commission back in the days when that was actually needed? Or was it just a term for anybody who wasn't running an NWA affiliate that somehow gained traction?

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

Jerusalem posted:

Just out of curiosity because I've never thought to ask.... just what the hell classifies something as "an outlaw mud show"?

cornette not liking it, or a portion of it, or being mad about a wrestler on it

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

Jerusalem posted:

Just out of curiosity because I've never thought to ask.... just what the hell classifies something as "an outlaw mud show"? It's professional wrestling so what was "outlaw"? I'm assuming it was somebody who put on a show without clearance from a sports commission back in the days when that was actually needed? Or was it just a term for anybody who wasn't running an NWA affiliate that somehow gained traction?

Outlaw shows were shows in NWA territories not run by the local NWA affiliates, yeah. The Poffo’s ICW was a prominent outlaw show, for example

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Jerusalem posted:

Just out of curiosity because I've never thought to ask.... just what the hell classifies something as "an outlaw mud show"? Or was it just a term for anybody who wasn't running an NWA affiliate that somehow gained traction?

This, basically. It was someone who wasn't an affiliate of a promotion (NWA, AWA, etc) running a show in another promotion's agreed upon home territory. "Mud Show" derives from those shows unable to book an actual "arena" due to promoters having a stranglehold on those, so often they'd run out of barns or other places.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Being an outlaw mud show sounds so loving cool. Being an outlaw is cool as hell.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i wish cornette had succeeded in running over that outlaw promoter and killing him, so that he would be in prison or dead, currently. You have my permission to punish me for the post

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The_Rob posted:

Being an outlaw mud show sounds so loving cool. Being an outlaw is cool as hell.

Smokey and the Bandit V: Banditmania

Davros1 posted:

This, basically. It was someone who wasn't an affiliate of a promotion (NWA, AWA, etc) running a show in another promotion's agreed upon home territory. "Mud Show" derives from those shows unable to book an actual "arena" due to promoters having a stranglehold on those, so often they'd run out of barns or other places.

As much as I enjoy Powerrr, it is kind of hilarious that the NWA ended up being the "outlaw mud show" and that Cornette is now working for one.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
So it basically means 'could draw money and compete with the establishment'?

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

The_Rob posted:

There is a reason GCW takes that label to heart.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

"outlaw mud show" is a pretty good band name

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I love that Cornette is living his nightmare and doesn't even realize it. He works for a company that makes no money, tapes in a sparsely-attended TV studio in front of 14 people, and whose biggest stars are Magnus and James Storm. He works for TNA.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

flashy_mcflash posted:

I love that Cornette is living his nightmare and doesn't even realize it. He works for a company that makes no money, tapes in a sparsely-attended TV studio in front of 14 people, and whose biggest stars are Magnus and James Storm. He works for TNA.

Someone hook Billy and Vince Russo up. Cornette would have an aneurysm.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Gaz-L posted:

Someone hook Billy and Vince Russo up. Cornette would have an aneurysm.

Billy's done the Alex Jones Show, it's hard for me to think he wouldn't love Russo.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

one thing i remember about listening to jim cornette podcasts is how he would just drone on and on about louisville morning radio hosts and news anchors he had fond memories of. just the worst boomer poo poo imaginable. who could care

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
https://twitter.com/davemeltzerWON/status/1191243675440803841

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
i appreciate the existence of this thread because it reminds me to catch this week's Jim

ThePariah
Feb 10, 2014
Jim Cornette had El Generico and Kevin Steen and he took them off TV and pushed Davey Richards instead. When called out on this just a few months ago, he tweeted this:

https://twitter.com/TheJimCornette/status/1160886814699393024

Cornette has no clue how to judge talent.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Jay Lethal fuckin sucks. You strip away the funny imitations, there's nothing there.

Davey was good at one point but started to learn too heavily into do a bunch of moves with no real connection between them or consequences. Then his brain mushed.

ELG and Steen are still going hard. Or so I'm told. I don't watch bad TV.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

:goodshit:

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
I will never forget the seemingly endless Davey Richards/Roderick Strong/Eddie Edwards main events ROH had during Cornette’s tenure. Just 3 dudes.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

they've done this though. it's a whole episode

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOZZF5XlWQU

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

plz stop

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I'm having a tough day at work, I saw a cool new emote, I decided to enjoy myself and gosh darn it no one can stop me. Unless I get hit with a 6er that would stop me I guess. But until then, I'm going to enjoy myself. Love ya.

:goodshit:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

coconono posted:

Jay Lethal fuckin sucks. You strip away the funny imitations, there's nothing there.

Davey was good at one point but started to learn too heavily into do a bunch of moves with no real connection between them or consequences. Then his brain mushed.

ELG and Steen are still going hard. Or so I'm told. I don't watch bad TV.

Generico is a manager now.

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

Ad by Khad posted:

i appreciate the existence of this thread because it reminds me to catch this week's Jim

Gotta listen to him DESTROY those SJWs with FACTS and LOGIC

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

My favorite thing Cornette ever did was take a big ol poo poo on Hogan and Piper's Starrcade match.
https://youtu.be/ByYTyiSw1ts

J.J. Sefton
Jun 30, 2005
The Tower Of Power, Too Sweet To Be Sour
I’ve been a Cornette fan since I first saw him on Crockett TV in the 80s. He’s an interesting personality, but IMO he’s also a guy with a lot of personal issues. He makes wild statements that sometimes get taken out of context, often poorly timed and worded. He’s also done a lot of things that weaken his position on promotion style. Still, when he talks about the ins and outs of pro wrestling, he’s coming from years of experience. I tend to agree with a lot of what he says. When he goes off on rants about modern wrestling, I get the feeling it’s 50/50 legit feelings /exaggerated rage to get clicks. Social media seems to be the last vestige of some semblance of kayfabe. IMO Jim is one of the all time best workers. Due to his statements about current wrestling, he occupies rent free space in a lot of minds.

Wrestling has always evolved. When I first started watching, it was about slowly built cards ending in main events with 60 minute draws. Matches that consisted of working holds and the occasional high spot. During the peak of my personal fandom it was more about personalities, psychology, heat, wild angles and more ring action. These days it’s more about hot moves, incredible athleticism and intense fandom for performers/promotions. I don’t follow it as much as I used to but I don’t begrudge folks their excitement. Jim comes off as an out of touch curmudgeon due to his presentation style, but there’s a lot of legit good advice in what he says. He just enflames folks so much due to his personality, he gets written off as “old guy shakes fist at cloud”.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

You can't "work" being a bigoted piece of poo poo even if you don't believe what you are saying. I look forward to him living rent free in a retirement home after they've bled all his money and assets, folks.

J.J. Sefton
Jun 30, 2005
The Tower Of Power, Too Sweet To Be Sour

Cavauro posted:

You can't "work" being a bigoted piece of poo poo even if you don't believe what you are saying. I look forward to him living rent free in a retirement home after they've bled all his money and assets, folks.

Given the current state of our culture, that’s debatable. I also stated he has personal issues. I disagree with a lot of his stands on issues *outside* of wrestling. I also agree with a lot of his thoughts on wrestling. You have the right to your personal opinion re his ultimate fate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

i find it ironic that someone like Orange Cassidy never breaks kayfabe and is probably the modern equivalent of the kind of wrestler who takes their craft seriously that Jim Cornette likes. it's even funnier that the crowd completely goes along with it and are absolutely into Orange Cassidy on a level few others wrestlers get, but Cornette can't see that at all. not only that, but he's getting crossover attention for his work too. funny how Cornette can't see that it's the exact thing he should be loving but can't just because it's modern and has comedy in it

Hefty Leftist fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Nov 5, 2019