Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

It's good art but I don't particularly care about my arena decks while I care about my paper decks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Can one get that art in paper Magic?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
You sure can it just costs like 50% more

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

Behind you! A three headed monkey!

College Slice

Hammer Bro. posted:

Can one get that art in paper Magic?

They are in the collectors boosters, so yes but at a premium

Some of them are real good

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

My neighbor at pre-release was really happy to get a foiled storybook Order of Midnight. It was pretty rad-looking.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Dimir Control Artisan list:

4 Nightveil Sprite (GRN) 48
9 Swamp (ANA) 63
9 Island (ANA) 62
4 Disinformation Campaign (GRN) 167
4 Thought Erasure (GRN) 206
4 Disfigure (M20) 95
2 Price of Fame (GRN) 83
4 Tyrant's Scorn (WAR) 225
2 Davriel, Rogue Shadowmage (WAR) 83
3 Discovery // Dispersal (GRN) 223
1 Dimir Guildgate (GRN) 245
4 Dismal Backwater (M20) 245
4 Thoughtbound Phantasm (GRN) 55
4 Nightveil Predator (GRN) 191
2 Covetous Urge (ELD) 207

I feel loving dirty playing it but it's working very well for me and has some fun decisions each turn. One thing I might try is replacing the Davriels with Saheelis to clog up the ground even further, but flyers are the main thing to worry about turn out.

Covetous Urge loving SLAPS. Read that card carefully y'all, if their hand is empty, you get the best thing in their yard.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
you can get something from their yard even if they have stuff in their hand

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

flatluigi posted:

you can get something from their yard even if they have stuff in their hand

True, but I prefer to take something from the hand to deprive them of the resource even if it's slightly less powerful than what's in their yard. I also like to at least consider a card that I could play the same turn to be more mana efficient if I don't have another possible play with excess mana.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Eej posted:

You sure can it just costs like 50% more

I got a few in the Eldraine bundle I got, didnt know those were special packs and the bundle didnt cost more than usual.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I finally caved and Main decked noxious grasp.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

The storybook art is amazing for all of them

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

I'm impatient for the rest of the arts to come. I need my beast!

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Simone Poodoin posted:

I got a few in the Eldraine bundle I got, didnt know those were special packs and the bundle didnt cost more than usual.

You can get storybook cards in normal boosters, it's extended art that's collector's boosters only? I think? They really need a Ubisoft-style chart.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Arglebargle III posted:

I finally caved and Main decked noxious grasp.

Only for the next couple weeks friends until Bowie eats the banhammer

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

they're all so pretty :allears:

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

AngryBooch posted:

Dimir Control Artisan list:

4 Nightveil Sprite (GRN) 48
9 Swamp (ANA) 63
9 Island (ANA) 62
4 Disinformation Campaign (GRN) 167
4 Disfigure (M20) 95
2 Price of Fame (GRN) 83
4 Tyrant's Scorn (WAR) 225
2 Davriel, Rogue Shadowmage (WAR) 83
3 Discovery // Dispersal (GRN) 223
1 Dimir Guildgate (GRN) 245
4 Thoughtbound Phantasm (GRN) 55
4 Nightveil Predator (GRN) 191
2 Covetous Urge (ELD) 207

I feel loving dirty playing it but it's working very well for me and has some fun decisions each turn. One thing I might try is replacing the Davriels with Saheelis to clog up the ground even further, but flyers are the main thing to worry about turn out.

Covetous Urge loving SLAPS. Read that card carefully y'all, if their hand is empty, you get the best thing in their yard.

how do you play this deck? i'm like 0-6 so far

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I got Artisan done with this:

2 Nightveil Predator (GRN) 191
1 Scholar of the Ages (M20) 74
2 Narset, Parter of Veils (WAR) 61
2 Opt (ELD) 59
3 Drown in the Loch (ELD) 188
2 Tyrant's Scorn (WAR) 225
4 Didn't Say Please (ELD) 42
3 Murder (M20) 109
3 Chemister's Insight (GRN) 32
2 Turn into a Pumpkin (ELD) 69
1 Into the Story (ELD) 50
2 Clear the Mind (RNA) 34
3 Cry of the Carnarium (RNA) 70
4 Dimir Guildgate (GRN) 246
8 Island (ELD) 257
1 Mystic Sanctuary (ELD) 247
9 Swamp (ELD) 259

Clear the Mind is basically used to get rid of Gate Colossi amongst other GY stuff.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
I'm sad there aren't storybook-art tokens to go with the storybook-art cards. I'd love Bears that matched the Flaxen Intruder.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Wafflecopper posted:

how do you play this deck? i'm like 0-6 so far

Kill their early threats with Scorn and Disfigure. You want to reduce their hand to 0 asap so that they're in infinite top deck mode, ideally suppressed with Sprite and Campaign. Get some combination of Thoughtbound Phantasm, Sprite, and Predator to deal fatal.

Consider also subbing in Faerie Vandal or Dimir Spybug for Convetous Urge (never really did anything for me) and Davriel (seemed a bit overkill). Or I guess Sinister Sabotage if you want more counters.

GrandpaPants fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Nov 5, 2019

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

:vince: I may have gone too far

Kjermzs
Sep 15, 2007

Samael posted:

:vince: I may have gone too far

I love this so much.

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

I feel very sorry for my opponent in draft just now. I drafted the best/worst deck I've ever seen in War of the Spark-draft, first picked Jace, then proceeded to pick 4 counter spells plus 3 blue Weird's that you can sac to get spells back from the graveyard. Opponent got slightly mana screwed and didn't draw his third land and kept a twolander while I had a counter spell in hand. He never got to play a single creature. I countered all of them. I had used up three counter spells before he gave up - and I had the fourth in my hand, Jace was on the table and about to ult. I'm probably going to lose every single other game with this deck, but it was worth it for that one time it worked.

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
I played my second draft ever on Arena. First was eldraine and I had no idea what was going on and I got milled to death 3 games in a row. Now I tried Sparks and actually managed to go 3/3 and could possibly have done better if I paid attention to what the different PWs did. It was mostly black with a nice aggro curve.

Sjonkel
Jan 31, 2012
All the passive abilities on the planeswalkers make WAR a pretty tough draft format, it's very easy to make a mistake when there are several walkers out. On the other hand, ELD feels like a very "in the know" format, where a couple of different decks seem far superior on Arena and can be fairly easy to get, if you know what to look for.

On a different note, if Oko does ineed get banned in two weeks, which current decks will likely benefit the most from that?

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Squinky v2.0 posted:

They are in the collectors boosters, so yes but at a premium

Some of them are real good

You can get them in regular eldraine boosters. Both the showcase cards and extended frame ones

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Any deck with creatures that might want to be on the board for a while, honestly, but I think it'll make more non-black decks viable (since that's pretty much the only color that can take on Oko at the moment) and it'll just all-around make decks work better. I think the esper stax/danse decks might get better, too?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Literally all creature based decks

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Great Henge and Great Henge accessories

Paul Zuvella posted:

You can get them in regular eldraine boosters. Both the showcase cards and extended frame ones
Yeah this whole set up is so weird, like collector's boosters sold out at some bonkers price and after the fact it turns out you can get stuff like "common lands" in some of the slots, and most of the money cards just show up in packs anyway.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Henge might actually be used for something besides becoming a 3/3 that gives two life.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
yeah I think big green is going to be a deck again (it's still kind of a deck but you end up wanting to run most of the green cards that gain counters on ETB, like voracious hydra and yorvo)

I wonder if it's enough of a deck that they might ban nissa too

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I feel like they ban Nissa first while blaming her for their overpowered mythic who is currently elking the entirety of magic the gathering 1 card on the reserved list at a time.

I mean they just banned Oath of Nissa and that's gotta send her a message.

After Theros they ban Oko all like "whoops, didn't see you there"

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Spiderdrake posted:

I feel like they ban Nissa first while blaming her for their overpowered mythic who is currently elking the entirety of magic the gathering 1 card on the reserved list at a time.

They are going to ban oko on the 18th. There is basically no way they can’t. Online retailers are pissed, individual stores are pissed, players are pissed. Standard events are being cancelled en masse.

This is like, catastrophically bad and I imagine they know that

The argument “we can’t ban oko because we have to sell cards” is no longer valid. You also can’t sell cards if literally no one is playing standard

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Spiderdrake posted:

Nissa is terrible, Nissa on 3 is practically unanswerable. I'm pretty new to the game but it seems like many of the bad and banned cards historically create too much or too easy free mana and Nissa does that as gently caress. Her and Oko should Go(ko)

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah this is categorically the worst Standard in at least 5 years in terms of players per tournament, those aren’t numbers that they can ignore.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah this is categorically the worst Standard in at least 5 years in terms of players per tournament, those aren’t numbers that they can ignore.

I live in a major metropolitan city in the US and there is now exactly one store within the greater city area still running standard events.

One

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

zoux posted:

Nissa is terrible, Nissa on 3 is practically unanswerable. I'm pretty new to the game but it seems like many of the bad and banned cards historically create too much or too easy free mana and Nissa does that as gently caress. Her and Oko should Go(ko)

I mean her downside is that turning lands into creatures makes them vulnerable to board wipes, but right now her main issue is that literally all early planeswalker removal is pointed at oko and not her

I don't know if she'd need a ban alongside oko but I could see it happen just to not have green continue to run away with Standard post-Oko ban

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

You basically cannot ban anything other than just oko because everything is so hilariously warped around him that we basically have no idea what standard even looks like without him

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Paul Zuvella posted:

I live in a major metropolitan city in the US and there is now exactly one store within the greater city area still running standard events.

One

Obviously standard is bad but introducing an exciting new non-rotating format while standard is real bad is compounding problems.

seizure later
Apr 18, 2007
I'd like to imagine a scenario where they don't ban Oko, just to see what happens as a community reaction

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013
But guys overpowered planeswalkers ruining the meta isnt the problem that one planeswalker stan said so