Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

The Cameo posted:

Cole screaming “C’MON DANIEL! C’MON DANIEL! TAP OUT BATISTA! TAP OUT BATISTA!” and abandoning all impartiality as a play by play guy is probably his best moment since just going “WHAT?!” in response to the glass shattering in the Mankind/Rock title match. He’s a dude you can clearly tell the difference between him actually being caught up in a moment or being told to be caught up in it.

Especially considering he was instructed to poo poo on Bryan for loving years prior to that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

projecthalaxy posted:

Cole was really good, strangely, when he was calling the Brock Lesnar vs Stephanie McMahon and Zach Gowen handicap match. Possibly because Vince was too busy whackin it to scream in his ear.

after casually skimming this post i opened my youtube tab and a zach gowen interview with chris van vliet was recommended what the gently caress google

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Pretty much from the start of Bryan’s run with the company, he was making GBS threads on him during NXT.

Let’s relive those two moments, though! If only for the Jesus pops in each one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KybuIy0wKXk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfFrDS2cCKA

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

That reminds me, this was my favorite Mick Foley Theme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zWYPzh-mLE

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Has Michael Cole ever had a "career defining" call? JR has several, especially Mankind/Taker HiaC.

He's a damned good professional, shown especially when Lawler had that heart attack live on TV but I don't know if he's had anything like JR.

Cole: 'And everyone is kneeling down at ringside. except for Dean Malenko, who's standing up'
Tazz: 'Deans going to murder you'

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Man, WrestleMania 30 was the last time I was excited about wrestling and may be my favorite show ever. I don't even remember anything else besides the Daniel Bryan matches. Maybe the streak also broken that night?

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Man, WrestleMania 30 was the last time I was excited about wrestling and may be my favorite show ever. I don't even remember anything else besides the Daniel Bryan matches. Maybe the streak also broken that night?

The Shield wore skull masks and killed road dogg

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

projecthalaxy posted:

The Shield wore skull masks and killed road dogg

God yes, I remember the slow mo replay of Billy Gunn getting blasted in the face with something and he looks like he wants to die.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I really liked Cole's call of Eddie winning the title

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Cole and Tazz were actually pretty good together in 2002-2003. I'm not sure when Cole became bad. I want to say around 2010 when I started watching regularly again but surely it was before then.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Michael Cole was actually a good commentator on Brock Lesnar's Big Japanese Holiday Show but I suspect that was again a case of Vince not yelling in his ear and it being a glorified house show.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

It was a huge night for “a new era has begun” that they promptly spent the next year walking back

- Daniel Bryan beat all 3 Evolution guys in the same night to become champion
- the streak was broken
- Cesaro won the battle royal
- the shield squashed the new age outlaws

fatherofmustard
May 15, 2018

Cena buried Bray.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

wm30 was the last wwe show

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

I'm probably in the minority here but I really enjoyed how obnoxious Cole was when he had the "Colemine" in his feud with Jerry Lawler.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION
It went on way too long and didn't have a satisfying conclusion, but individual bits like the Cole Mine was great.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

spongeh posted:

It went on way too long and didn't have a satisfying conclusion, but individual bits like the Cole Mine was great.

This is basically it. The whole thing should've ended at WrestleMania. That show also had the godawful Cena/Rock (featuring The Miz) match that ended everything on a wet fart.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

The Cole Mine just the worst goddamn thing.
You can't be having a heel doing their heel schtick for nearly every minute of a 3 hour weekly show

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos

Dell_Zincht posted:

I'm probably in the minority here but I really enjoyed how obnoxious Cole was when he had the "Colemine" in his feud with Jerry Lawler.

You are.

ChrisBTY posted:

The Cole Mine just the worst goddamn thing.
You can't be having a heel doing their heel schtick for nearly every minute of a 3 hour weekly show

It really was.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I've always been curious how much longer the Cole/Lawler storyline would have gone on if King didn't have a heart attack live on air. Wasn't it already a year and a half by that point or something?

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe
Cole was actually an amazing heel. He just shouldn't have been announcing at the same time.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

ban every single person who didn't reply with this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGt4TL5sJbA

TheCool69
Sep 23, 2011
I'm dying at that Michael Cole line about Malenko.

What is your favorite commentary taking a piss of a wrestler moment?

And best color commentator popping for something that was said (i imagine Heenan got Gorilla many times)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

TheCool69 posted:

I'm dying at that Michael Cole line about Malenko.

The truly bizarre thing is that it's from Chris Benoit vs The Great Sasuke of all things, as I recall.

Monkeycheese
Feb 24, 2002

ninja minúsculo
Michael Cole sucks rear end https://youtu.be/mR-r2PZOB3Y

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
didnt Michael cole have the line "big dog eats my rear end"?

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
I have no idea, but it is implied (to me to exist) by New Legacy having a drop of that as one of their donation sounds.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
https://streamable.com/k35he

This doesn't include any surrounding context but apparently he was scoffing at Chavo saying something along the lines of "The big dog's gotta eat".

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

This is Michael Cole's best call. Also you can listen to it for ten hours.
https://youtu.be/A7b61zoFycY

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

MrBling posted:

Michael Cole was actually a good commentator on Brock Lesnar's Big Japanese Holiday Show but I suspect that was again a case of Vince not yelling in his ear and it being a glorified house show.

It’s almost unidentifiable as Cole commentary, it’s incredibly clear that Cole had to wake up that early to do the show from the East Coast but there was no way Vince was going to.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

[Edit] Double post

harperdc fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Nov 5, 2019

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

harperdc posted:

It’s almost unidentifiable as Cole commentary, it’s incredibly clear that Cole had to wake up that early to do the show from the East Coast but there was no way Vince was going to.

Are we positive Vince sleeps though?

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

ChrisBTY posted:

If he does its in one of those upside down racks hung by the feet like in the Michael Keaton Batman

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

ChrisBTY posted:

He does. I have a picture of it.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

LTTP but Okada vs peak Kenta Kobashi would be the worlds first 18* match

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Spuckuk posted:

LTTP but Okada vs peak Kenta Kobashi would be the worlds first 18* match

Prick Okada vs 2005, kind of broken down beloved legend Kobashi would be my pick.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I want to see Kane fight the Undertaker one more time at WrestleMania for the position of Mayor of Knox County, Tennessee.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I want to see Kane fight the Undertaker one more time at WrestleMania for the position of Mayor of Knox County, Tennessee.

Tragically you'll have to settle for Cain.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
HORSESHIT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Tennessee would probably accept this as a reasonable way to determine mayor.