Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

The Walrus posted:

anyone else thinking of getting that Beatles singles set? Usually a 7" box set is a definite no-go, but new mono masters + the international art + only like ~9 CDN per vinyl makes it tempting.

Unless you're a big Beatles fan and your want something as a physical piece, this set doesn't really hold much value. As CP said, you can get Mono Masters. Hell, the mono boxset is an even better way to go since you also get all of their albums except for Abby Road and Let It Be, which you can easily pick up.

But I wouldn't but that set for the music, which sounds like an odd thing to say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh
The best novelty record is Sound Effect of Godzilla 1, followed by Sound Effect of Godzilla 2: The Rivals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07I79tDcxhE

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

Toe Rag posted:

Here I bought some records recently.

Booji Boys loving rule!!!!!!!!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-YUVl57SH8&t=714s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQdg-rRItsE&t=1039s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pv6rmzD3tyg&t=1285s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGRvxJV9Cqs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aryBt9QzFWk

I bought this Neo Neos 7" because it looks like the Erik Nervous 12" and I thought it was meant to be

Boff from Chumbawamba was in Passion Killers :shobon: And No Sir I Won't is maybe a play on Yes Sir I Will?? I will have to find out!! And some more cool album art from Neo Neos, wow.

passion killers hell ya

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Of interest to this thread: Nicolas Winding Refn's streaming site just posted 4k restorations of a bunch of post/punk music videos.

Deaf/Punk (1979) Dir. Richard Gaikowski
In the Beginning Was the End: The Truth About De-Evolution (1976) Dir. Chuck Statler
The Residents: Third Reich ‘N’ Roll (1976) Dir. The Residents
The Residents: Hello, Skinny (1979) / One Minute Movies (1980) Dir. Graeme Whifler
MX-80 Sound: Why Are We Here? (1980) Dir. Graeme Whifler
Renaldo and the Loaf: Songs for Swinging Larvae (1981) Dir. Graeme Whifler
In the Red (1978, unfinished) Dirs. Liz Keim and Karen Merchant
Moody Teenager (1980) Dir. Richard Gaikowski
Debt Begins at 20 (1980) Dir. Stephanie Beroes

The new restoration of the (immediately banned from MTV) Renaldo and the Loaf video is absolutely gorgeous.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Cemetry Gator posted:

Unless you're a big Beatles fan and your want something as a physical piece, this set doesn't really hold much value. As CP said, you can get Mono Masters. Hell, the mono boxset is an even better way to go since you also get all of their albums except for Abby Road and Let It Be, which you can easily pick up.

But I wouldn't but that set for the music, which sounds like an odd thing to say.

yeah maybe I'll just get mono masters, tough call though as it really is a nice looking box, and 23 discs for 250 canadian really isn't THAT bad.

I would love to have the mono boxset, but have you seen how much it's going for? I bought copies of revolver and rubber soul separately but it's just those and mono masters still in print for mono vinyl.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
actually rubber soul and revolver now appear to be out of print also and are going for 100 bucks plus each on amazon. jeez. why does this need to be so difficult? let me see if I can find mono masters for less than 90 canadian...

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

The Walrus posted:

actually rubber soul and revolver now appear to be out of print also and are going for 100 bucks plus each on amazon. jeez. why does this need to be so difficult? let me see if I can find mono masters for less than 90 canadian...

Discogs has Rubber Soul for 34.99 Merican dollars.

edit: I looked up Sgt. Pepper and it appears they they might just be taking all of the mono reissues out of print. I wonder why.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Nov 1, 2019

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

The Walrus posted:

why does this need to be so difficult?
new thread title, please.

Like there is less than zero logic to one of the world’s most popular bands to have high-demand product out-of-print. Pure greed.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Lol. Also I want it. I have a Husqvarna hat and cozie that it would pair nicely with.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

I would like this record.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

pwn posted:

new thread title, please.

Like there is less than zero logic to one of the world’s most popular bands to have high-demand product out-of-print. Pure greed.

I don't think the OP has posted in years.

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Bad girls think that you're being a boob punch

https://5gishere.co/products/200-vinyl-records

Who's got $5000 to spare?

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

CPL593H posted:

Discogs has Rubber Soul for 34.99 Merican dollars.

edit: I looked up Sgt. Pepper and it appears they they might just be taking all of the mono reissues out of print. I wonder why.

My guess is to keep them desirable and to have less product.

It's really lovely when you think about it. The original mixes of these records shouldn't be so rare, and it's not like the stereo on those things was good stereo.

In a few years, they'll probably reissue the mono sets again, so you can hear the Beatles the way they were meant to be heard.

pwn
May 27, 2004

CPL593H posted:

I don't think the OP has posted in years.
Only admins, mods, and i think iks can change thread titles, not OPs.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
$25 a record doesn’t seem that bad i guess

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Cemetry Gator posted:

My guess is to keep them desirable and to have less product.

It's really lovely when you think about it. The original mixes of these records shouldn't be so rare, and it's not like the stereo on those things was good stereo.

In a few years, they'll probably reissue the mono sets again, so you can hear the Beatles the way they were meant to be heard.

I'm sure it's something like this. There are also those anniversay box sets and Giles Martin remixes they've been putting out. So many it's to shift people towards buying that stuff. I have the Revolver mono reissue LP but none of the rest. I never prioritized getting these because I've listened to those albums 90 million times and rarely put them on anymore. That said I got the mono CDs for Rubber Soul - The Bealtes Part I and II as well as mono masters and they sound really good so I'm not really kicking myself over it. The 2009 CD reissues were a godsend.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Good lord even the bands I do like on this list, those aren't the albums I'd want from them.

(Man I need to get around to getting a copy of Rated R...)

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

I'll never pass up $1 thrift store electronic funk, hell yeah.

Also this....

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

If you think I won’t use this as an excuse to post the following, you’re dead wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yA9WhYnsD_4

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

EL BROMANCE posted:

If you think I won’t use this as an excuse to post the following, you’re dead wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfODTw6h6rE

Someone get one of those movie soundtrack labels to make this a single.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

I suddenly want a database collecting every example of someone ripping off the pose on Micheal Jackson' Thriller cover. Mostly because I think I remember a young, male, and possibly latin pop singer doing it as well but I don't know if my brain is playing tricks on me.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Turbinosamente posted:

Mostly because I think I remember a young, male, and possibly latin pop singer doing it as well but I don't know if my brain is playing tricks on me.

You're probably thinking of this one, which always gets bandied about on worst-of lists.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

Until like last year I had only known the Weird Al version

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

CPL593H posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfODTw6h6rE

Someone get one of those movie soundtrack labels to make this a single.

At some point that must’ve been used between tracks on some beatdown hardcore album.

A la Casey Jones kinda stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNMqFIBPYag

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

caligulamprey posted:

You're probably thinking of this one, which always gets bandied about on worst-of lists.

Yes, thank you. I was sorta sure the cover got internet famous for being terrible, and I probably did see it on one of those worst of lists years ago. Still curious as to how many people have done that pose to try and sell more albums based on sex appeal I guess?

melvinthemopboy3
Sep 29, 2008

caligulamprey posted:

Of interest to this thread: Nicolas Winding Refn's streaming site just posted 4k restorations of a bunch of post/punk music videos.

Deaf/Punk (1979) Dir. Richard Gaikowski
In the Beginning Was the End: The Truth About De-Evolution (1976) Dir. Chuck Statler
The Residents: Third Reich ‘N’ Roll (1976) Dir. The Residents
The Residents: Hello, Skinny (1979) / One Minute Movies (1980) Dir. Graeme Whifler
MX-80 Sound: Why Are We Here? (1980) Dir. Graeme Whifler
Renaldo and the Loaf: Songs for Swinging Larvae (1981) Dir. Graeme Whifler
In the Red (1978, unfinished) Dirs. Liz Keim and Karen Merchant
Moody Teenager (1980) Dir. Richard Gaikowski
Debt Begins at 20 (1980) Dir. Stephanie Beroes

The new restoration of the (immediately banned from MTV) Renaldo and the Loaf video is absolutely gorgeous.

good LORD this is incredible.

I thought that the remastering job Criterion did for Jocko Homo/Secret Agent Man was great, but this is a whole other league.

Love that MX-80 Sound video, too. Spoke with Rich Stim a while back about the filming of it when I was putting the reissues of Crowd Control and Out of the Tunnel together. Great dude.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

It would be pretty great if Criterion did a blu-ray that collects the Devo music videos because the only current collections look like dogshit. Did they ever do another music video compilation like they did for the Beastie Boys?

melvinthemopboy3
Sep 29, 2008

CPL593H posted:

It would be pretty great if Criterion did a blu-ray that collects the Devo music videos because the only current collections look like dogshit. Did they ever do another music video compilation like they did for the Beastie Boys?

I'd love to see a 4K restoration of "R U Experienced?" I believe it was the only one they shot on 35mm.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

The Hendrix estate is never gonna let that one out of the archives. Probably for the best cause it bad.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

caligulamprey posted:

The Hendrix estate is never gonna let that one out of the archives. Probably for the best cause it bad.

That's the only good song on Shout.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?

CPL593H posted:

That's the only good song on Shout.

Um, Satisfied Mind is a great song. Shout is pretty good too.

\/\/\/ Give those another shot at least. I know it's not the same quality as earlier output but it surprises me how much people seem to hate it. R U Experienced was the only song to make an impression on me first but there is some good stuff on it.

Fors Yard fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Nov 5, 2019

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Fors Yard posted:

Um, Satisfied Mind is a great song. Shout is pretty good too.

In fairness I only listened to that album once because it sucks so hard. Are You Experienced? is the only song that made an impression on me.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

There "Here to Go" remix version is pretty good.

I will give Shout-era Devo that, nothing more, nothing less. :colbert:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

caligulamprey posted:

They replaced Alan with a drum machine.

rockinricky
Mar 27, 2003
I found this a few days ago for $8, score or bore?

melvinthemopboy3
Sep 29, 2008

caligulamprey posted:

The Chinese/American Friendship Suits looked kinda cool I guess?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

In other news I bought an original pressing of The Danny Elfman Batman soundtrack and the dealer said it went to Dubai and back twice. And then the buyer never asked for a refund on the record or the shipping or anything. He gave me a good deal on it and also said that I paid less for the record itself than that buyer did for shipping.

pwn
May 27, 2004

rockinricky posted:

I found this a few days ago for $8, score or bore?

Extremely score, you rotten bastard

Edit: arrived yesterday

Sounds real nice

pwn fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Nov 5, 2019

rockinricky
Mar 27, 2003

pwn posted:

Extremely score, you rotten bastard

It was even brand new, unopened. Fun song, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

CPL593H posted:

How long has everyone been collecting?
Less than a year. But I wouldn't call it collecting, I'm only bothering to get albums that I actually want and that aren't overpriced ($50 AUD per album is my general limit... I just saw reissues of NIN - Downward Spiral and Tool's Lateralus for ~$90 AUD brand new in stores so it sounds like Amazon is the way to go for some).

I only have 50 and none of them are ~rare~ or collectible. A couple of my King Gizzard records are apparently selling for double to triple what I paid for them, but otherwise they're all worth less than what I paid thanks to the Australian Dollar. Not to mention that apparently it costs people $25 to ship an LP to Australia from the US/Europe. And the secondhand market here is tiny/overpriced (at least on Discogs for the albums I actually want), so I only have 4 secondhand 70s prog albums. Unfortunately, one was mis-rated as VG+ when I'd say it's Fair at best.