Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Paul Zuvella posted:

You basically cannot ban anything other than just oko because everything is so hilariously warped around him that we basically have no idea what standard even looks like without him

Dance Manse Revolution is one of the most fun decks I've played and I hope it ends up doing better once Oko is gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Dpulex posted:

But guys overpowered planeswalkers ruining the meta isnt the problem that one planeswalker stan said so

there's an extremely wide spectrum between thinking oko is too much and thinking that literally every planeswalker should get banned which was what that entire conversation was in response to, lol

Funkdreamer
Jul 15, 2005

It'll be a blast
I wonder if Once Upon a Time eats a ban, since Wizards doesn't seem to like cards that make decks too consistent (see: Ponder, Preordain, Oath of Nissa)

I don't think there's any green deck that doesn't use OUaT

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

axeil posted:

Dance Manse Revolution is one of the most fun decks I've played and I hope it ends up doing better once Oko is gone.
It'll do better because everything will do better if Oko is gone, but a more mid-range creature heavy format could be tough for it.

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013

flatluigi posted:

there's an extremely wide spectrum between thinking oko is too much and thinking that literally every planeswalker should get banned which was what that entire conversation was in response to, lol

Banning every planeswalker is a great decision. That would take us back to scourge, the best magic set.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Nissa wasn't OP before rotation and she's not tearing a swath of destruction through eternal formats like Oko is so I'd hold off on banning her just yet.

Dpulex posted:

But guys overpowered planeswalkers ruining the meta isnt the problem that one planeswalker stan said so

Legendary Planeswalkers - Stan

axeil posted:

Troll King owns the poo poo out of Dance and guess what, it's green! Do does Ashiok and they're black (and blue). GB Adventure is both those colours...

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Edit: forums love to double post

GrandpaPants fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Nov 5, 2019

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Ah yes, the dragon themed set that was only upstaged in the lacking dragons department by Dragon's Maze. Good choice.

Though I guess technically in the lore dragons were wiped out by Niv and vampires were Dimir but it's not like marketing gives a gently caress.

Paul Zuvella posted:

They are going to ban oko on the 18th.
I mean I agree but sometimes I want to go check and see how many people who were making decisions from when they slow rolled banning necropotence are still around. Also I wanted to make a joke about the pioneer bannings.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

seizure later posted:

I'd like to imagine a scenario where they don't ban Oko, just to see what happens as a community reaction

If you want to see that just look at every single reaction to everything WotC has ever done

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Eej posted:

Troll King owns the poo poo out of Dance and guess what, it's green!
Why is troll king good against dance?

Is there something I'm missing here? I mean he seems fine but why specifically?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Paul Zuvella posted:

You basically cannot ban anything other than just oko because everything is so hilariously warped around him that we basically have no idea what standard even looks like without him

That's what they said when they banned Field too. I do think it's more justifiable to hold to just one card this time though, since I don't think any of the other potential problem cards are as bad as Oko.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Apparently Oko was banned in brawl.

The great de-elking begins...

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Spiderdrake posted:

Apparently Oko was banned in brawl.

The great de-elking begins...

Yep.

https://twitter.com/MTG_Arena/status/1191764883790061568

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

Eej posted:

Legendary Planeswalkers - Stan

Stanley or Stanford, this is important

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Oko confirmed too good for standard.... commander

:troll:

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
what a weird situation. They don't give a reason but everyone knows it's because he's just overpowered and theres nothing else to it.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Spiderdrake posted:

He's not that bad, also I've never run into anyone playing him. He's a more expensive version of Cauldron Familiar.

Cauldron Familiar is super dangerous to Dance decks because they can sack the same Cat multiple times in response to the Doom Foretold triggers. I won't play a Doom Foretold with cat/oven in play unless I'm certain I can exile the cat. Luckily for me, half the players on ladder are too dumb to know they can!

No Wave posted:

what a weird situation. They don't give a reason but everyone knows it's because he's just overpowered and theres nothing else to it.

They don't want to commit to paper that they're so stupid they allowed a commander that can permanently erase the abilities of all creature-based commanders.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Nov 5, 2019

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Every time Oko gets banned from a format I feel a thousand Spike players furrow their brows in anger

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013
Seeing planeswalkers eat bans is all I want for christmas.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Would Wicked Wolf still be playable without Oko making GBS threads out food for it every turn? I know Goose is still a thing, but at least it costs 2 mana to do it.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Doltos posted:

Every time Oko gets banned from a format I feel a thousand Spike players furrow their brows in anger

I would say "gently caress Spikes and gently caress Spike cards", but Meddling Mage is a Spike card and would have prevented a lot of bullshit if it were in standard.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

GrandpaPants posted:

Would Wicked Wolf still be playable without Oko making GBS threads out food for it every turn? I know Goose is still a thing, but at least it costs 2 mana to do it.

I play 3 WWs in my Jund aristocrats deck. I also run 4 Ovens, 4 Kitties, 3 Feasting Troll Kings and 4 Geese so

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Dpulex posted:

Seeing planeswalkers eat bans is all I want for christmas.

I honestly didn't realize until this second that complaining about planeswalkers is literally all you do in this thread

what a weird gimmick

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Spiderdrake posted:

If you ramp into him he provides the food required to bring him back. If you used dorks to ramp you can sac those to Doom. He's played before you can Dance and he's got huge stats and trample. If you sacrifice on your turn you can bring him back and play another creature on your turn to maintain your board. If he gets discarded and you have food etc. God forbid you play two Troll Kings too or staple him to another food engine.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

flatluigi posted:

I honestly didn't realize until this second that complaining about planeswalkers is literally all you do in this thread

what a weird gimmick

Unless he is Nicol Bolas...

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I guess you could say the banlist is so pleased to meet him. :smuggo:

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Zero VGS posted:

I would say "gently caress Spikes and gently caress Spike cards", but Meddling Mage is a Spike card and would have prevented a lot of bullshit if it were in standard.

Any card has a potential to be a spike card what makes a spike card a spike card is when everyone in the world runs it unabashedly knowing that it's not fun to play against or easy at all. Essentially free win hunters. There will always be spike cards no matter what you ban, and some cards you love will eventually become spikes.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Also Oko is pretty unpopular with every single tournament grinder I know so its not even like spikes love the card they just are resigned to having to use him

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Ok now do standard

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
I think just Oko being banned would be fine. I can't really think of a non-Oko deck that would end up dominating the format if he were gone, whereas right before Field got banned EVERYONE predicted where we'd be right now with Oko.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Paul Zuvella posted:

Also Oko is pretty unpopular with every single tournament grinder I know so its not even like spikes love the card they just are resigned to having to use him

Yeah even top players are basically like 'I hate this but also I want to win'

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
At least now Brawl will be fun for approximately 24 hours

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

No Wave posted:

It's because Brawl is Arena-only so they can just ban the fucker now instead of having to wait to coordinate with the paper guys on the 18th for Standard.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

CapnAndy posted:

It's because Brawl is Arena-only so they can just ban the fucker now instead of having to wait to coordinate with the paper guys on the 18th for Standard.

Brawl is not arena only. It’s a real paper format and is in Modo as well

Xyven
Jun 4, 2005

Check to induce a ban

Oko was fun to play with at first but I'm so over it now.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Kashuno posted:

Yeah even top players are basically like 'I hate this but also I want to win'

I just can never understand that mentality in card games. In any other sport or game I'm 100% about winning. IDC what happens as long as we win. But with card games I just can't see the point. I love building decks and testing cards, seeing what works and trying to see if I can get bad cards to look good for a bit. The second I start winning too much with a deck is the second I switch off of it. It just seems like a miserable existence having to copy decks to run them against other decks everyone else is running.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Doltos posted:

I just can never understand that mentality in card games. In any other sport or game I'm 100% about winning. IDC what happens as long as we win. But with card games I just can't see the point. I love building decks and testing cards, seeing what works and trying to see if I can get bad cards to look good for a bit. The second I start winning too much with a deck is the second I switch off of it. It just seems like a miserable existence having to copy decks to run them against other decks everyone else is running.

Top players are trying to make money, not just have fun

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

GrandpaPants posted:

I think it would still be pretty good. There are a lot of food archetype cards that are on the cusp of being good but they aren't being played because Oko is good against every deck. I want to play a deck with Savvy Huntsman, Trail of Crumbs, Wicked Wolf, Goose. Maybe throw in the Oven and the Cat. Maybe the Feasting Troll. Korvold for some spice. There was a Jund Food deck that made the top 16 of the Arena MCQ I believe.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Doltos posted:

you can't understand the mentality of people that can make tens of thousands of dollars playing a deck they don't like??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Paul Zuvella posted:

Brawl is not arena only. It’s a real paper format and is in Modo as well
Oh. Then I don't have any idea why they can just shoot off a quick ban in Brawl but nothing else.