Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Brother Entropy posted:

the classic treehouse movie parodies were at least sticking to horror movies like the shining or nightmare on elm street. i think one of the last ones i saw before tapering off watching new episodes in the early 2000s had a harry potter riff and even then i didn't like that shift

That one was a weird capper because it was after two really great segments, Hex and the City and House of Whacks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

SpazmasterX posted:

Remember when Treehouse of Horror was actually fun to watch and not just endless movie parodies

I do not.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

mind the walrus posted:

Even when they did movie parodies back then they were rarely contemporaneous, and the one kind-of contemporary one they did (Coppola's Dracula) is one of the worst Treehouse skits of the entire golden age.

wat

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

:colbert:

The second half is total nonsense and you can tell they had no idea where to go after Burns' castle. Some funny gags though.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

oh hell yes

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Lol

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

mind the walrus posted:

:colbert:

The second half is total nonsense and you can tell they had no idea where to go after Burns' castle. Some funny gags though.

Sounds like they just threw something together with vampires

pitch a fitness
Mar 19, 2010

funny simpsons faces

Dr. Areivir

spaceblancmange posted:

lol

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

SpazmasterX posted:

Remember when Treehouse of Horror was actually fun to watch and not just endless movie parodies

Remember when this thread had memes

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

spaceblancmange posted:

Was waiting for this :golfclap:

But yeah just because they owned it doesn't make it good.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

:dudsmile:

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
I love the old Treehouse episodes and loved them at the time because regular Simpsons was, more or less, buttoned down and realistic-ish - it was cool seeing the writers get to do weird, creative things with the world they built, not having to worry about canon.

And say what you will about the parodies, but I fuckin' love The Shinning to this day. I'm surprised they never did a Friday the 13th parody, considering they did Nightmare on Elm St. poo poo, they could've done it at Kamp Krusty, even.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
The THoH episode where all of the teachers become cannibals scared me as a kid.

Gooify

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Closest they got was Boy Scoutz N Da Hood.

I mean it makes sense. Even in their absolute darkest Golden Age Treehouses-- King Homer eating people, the teachers killing kids and eating them, Willie getting lit on fire/strangling Martin, Homer hunting down his family in the Hotel, everyone turning inside out, Groundskeeper Willie constantly taking an axe to the back, Flanders' decapitated head calling out to Bart, Homer killing Zombie Flanders-- there was always an element of fantasy to act as a buffer. There really wouldn't be one for an F13/Halloween parody.

Nowadays, or hell even by 2002 they wouldn't have given a crap, but in the early 90s? Yeah they were still easing into that sort-of thing.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Code Jockey posted:

I love the old Treehouse episodes and loved them at the time because regular Simpsons was, more or less, buttoned down and realistic-ish - it was cool seeing the writers get to do weird, creative things with the world they built, not having to worry about canon.

The best one for me was the twilight zone one where Bart could warp reality.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

That one is great but I find it suffers on rewatches. The only gag I still really love from it is Harry Shearer doing the announcer voice

"and whenever something weird like that happens, we say it's good that Bart did that. Very very good."

Treehouse V is the best one overall. The weakest segment is very arguably Time and Punishment (with the time travel toaster) and that one is loving ace.

pitch a fitness
Mar 19, 2010

alexandriao posted:

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

alexandriao posted:

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
The Shinning is without a doubt not only the best Simpsons anything ever, but one of the best pieces of parody ever made

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Calaveron posted:

The Shinning is without a doubt not only the best Simpsons anything ever,

it's excellent but I must again prepare to die on the hill of Homer At The Bat, a masterpiece

JuiceOne
Sep 5, 2007

Code Jockey posted:

it's excellent but I must again prepare to die on the hill of Homer At The Bat, a masterpiece

I love how mean they are to Steve Sax, for no reason at all. Modern Simpsons would never do that. It would be "Hi Bart I'm Baseball legend Steve Sax wow nice slingshot ok bye"

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Jose Conseco was apparently a dick and when asked about the episode years later he was mad about it

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Code Jockey posted:

Homer at the Bat is S-Tier Simpsons, but Golden Age Simpsons has SS and even SSS-tier episodes.

Gonna throw it behind "And Maggie Makes Three."

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

I feel like this image will come in handy in the future, thanks!

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Code Jockey posted:

And say what you will about the parodies, but I fuckin' love The Shinning to this day. I'm surprised they never did a Friday the 13th parody, considering they did Nightmare on Elm St. poo poo, they could've done it at Kamp Krusty, even.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Yeah that's fair I mean like a whole fleshed out segment or w/e

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Calaveron posted:

The Shinning is without a doubt not only the best Simpsons anything ever, but one of the best pieces of parody ever made

It's one of the best but I prefer You Only Move Twice. Homer being completely oblivious to working for a Bond villain was some great stuff.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

super sweet best pal posted:

It's one of the best but I prefer You Only Move Twice. Homer being completely oblivious to working for a Bond villain was some great stuff.

The only thing that keeps that one from being an absolute win for me is that they couldn't fit in anything about Lisa finally going to a school worthy of her ability. Everything else about it is gangbusters.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Code Jockey posted:

I love the old Treehouse episodes and loved them at the time because regular Simpsons was, more or less, buttoned down and realistic-ish -

This is where the Simpsons jumped the shark for me. In earlier seasons they would have a crowd of people who were just randos in the Simpsons style. In later seasons any incidental Springfield mob is Captain McAllister, Bumblebee Man, Sideshow Mel, Hans Moleman, etc. They have entirely disappeared up their own rear end, and did at least 10 years ago. God I wish the show had ended before 9/11.

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator

THRILLHO

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

lmao

pitch a fitness
Mar 19, 2010

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

alexandriao posted:

The best one for me was the twilight zone one where Bart could warp reality.

Goddamn, I never realized what this was a spoof of. The one where Bart turns Homer into a Jack in the Box with his mind?

It was always familiar but I never figured out why. I think I thought it was a parody of The Omen.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Do not post microscopic Bart

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

This is where the Simpsons jumped the shark for me. In earlier seasons they would have a crowd of people who were just randos in the Simpsons style. In later seasons any incidental Springfield mob is Captain McAllister, Bumblebee Man, Sideshow Mel, Hans Moleman, etc. They have entirely disappeared up their own rear end, and did at least 10 years ago. God I wish the show had ended before 9/11.

THANK you. This has been my exact opinion for ages but I've never been able to express it properly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Oh my god I've created rap sheets