Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Takoluka posted:

Or you could *not* do this and actually show Game Freak that you won't put up with an inferior product.

lmao if you think this would do anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Bleck posted:

I don't know enough about game development to know whether or not it's a reasonable thing for them to be dropping half the dex, but at the very least it stands to give competitive battling a big breath of fresh air

I know a bit about game development and their original announcement smelled disingenuous even before people caught them reusing the models they claimed would be so much work to recreate.

And Pokemon Showdown came up with a pretty good solution for competitive -- cap different mons' max levels differently for competitive fights so that their total stats are comparable. It's not a complete solution but it enables a lot o' jank.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I'm not the best with words, so some of my stuff comes across as rambling but it's honestly me just trying to explain what's going on. That's literally my only goal.

I've enjoyed the effortposts, and not just because they confirmed what I already believed. Goons do tend to pile on when someone displays emotional attachment to something, especially an ideal.

Shrug it off and keep moving forward.

(Much like I intend to do with the new Pokemon game.)

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
They never said they recreated the models. That too was a mistranslation.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'm enjoying Luigi's Mansion 3 and I love how even Luigi feels a little bad about capturing Morty the Director with only a half-hearted "yeah, woo-hoo" after Morty's sucked into the Poltergust G-00. The guy just wanted to spend his afterlife making films :smith:.

Please tell me you at least let him finish making his film.

10F was really cool, and the boss fight was a great way to cap it off. Probably my favorite floor so far.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

i'm real fuckin mad about pokemon

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I still need to finish my copies of X and Ultra Sun so I’m sure the better versions of Sun/Moon with all the Pokémon will be out by then.:)

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I think people are having a hard time sympathizing because it's unusual for a franchise to have that kind of backward compatibility through multiple games, especially across multiple consoles. It's not really a normal game feature.

I don’t play Pokémon and even I realize how important it’s been for people to carry their fellas forward

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I’m still not a fan of the ghost-catching in LM3 btw
It’s not even that it’s too easy, it’s that the audio feedback feels really weak and it doesn’t feel very dynamic or exciting compared to the first game where ghosts would be pulling you all around the room as they tried to escape from you.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Augus posted:

I’m still not a fan of the ghost-catching in LM3 btw
It’s not even that it’s too easy, it’s that the audio feedback feels really weak and it doesn’t feel very dynamic or exciting compared to the first game where ghosts would be pulling you all around the room as they tried to escape from you.

I do remember ghosts being way harder to catch on 3ds. I also burned out on that game and never finished it..

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

bowmore posted:

well it's ok because Haunter looks cooler

:hai:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Yeah, the mook combat is really weak. It basically loses out on the whole fishing game aspect the first two games had which was a lot more engaging. Also kind of doesn't really help that most of the time the ghosts just kinda hang back and watch you vacuum in the one you're latched to and don't really try to get jabs in as often as the ghosts did in the first two games.

Boo combat is at least the best it's been in the series, and the bosses have been really good.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Araxxor posted:

Yeah, the mook combat is really weak. It basically loses out on the whole fishing game aspect the first two games had which was a lot more engaging. Also kind of doesn't really help that most of the time the ghosts just kinda hang back and watch you vacuum in the one you're latched to and don't really try to get jabs in as often as the ghosts did in the first two games.

Boo combat is at least the best it's been in the series, and the bosses have been really good.

Some of the optional fights in LM3 are absolute bastards though. If you leave the fourth floor and come back to the boss fight room it's flooded with a ton of different ghosts that do NOT hang back at all and due to how they attack on that floor they are extremely dangerous. It was the first time I came close to dying because it was just so hard to get space to start tugging on a ghost.

Then other times it'll just lock you in a room with a single purple ghosts, and all they do is harass you

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Some of the optional fights in LM3 are absolute bastards though. If you leave the fourth floor and come back to the boss fight room it's flooded with a ton of different ghosts that do NOT hang back at all and due to how they attack on that floor they are extremely dangerous. It was the first time I came close to dying because it was just so hard to get space to start tugging on a ghost.

Then other times it'll just lock you in a room with a single purple ghosts, and all they do is harass you

While I was searching for the 2F gems, I ran into a 6 Hammer encounter in the ballroom. :catstare: That one was such a huge step above what the story was tossing at me at the time, so it really threw me for a loop. I barely had any time to get any attacks in.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I literally just did this and started freaking out because I'm trying to do a deathless run. It certainly was a surprise and a fair challenge. The tug-of-war style combat was never really interesting to me anyway so I'm perfectly fine trying to group ghosts together and aim my slams instead.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Araxxor posted:

You can do that?... Oops... :ohdear:

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

lezard_valeth posted:

Ok, question regarding Digimon Cyber Sleuth

I've heard a lot of praise about how this is the one good Digimon game since the very first one. I'm currently in chapter 6 and I've been doing all the sidequests and farm quests as they pop up.

However out of the 8 hours of gameplay I have so far, I'd say only 2 of them were spent fighting with the creatures that give the name to the title and the other 6 of them consisted of scrolling through "here have some Japan lore" info dumps. And heck those 2 hours were artificially inflated by me running in circles with High Encounters on because dungeons tend to be 2-3 screens long and then the game has a panic attack and abruptly goes back to chat scrolling time before you start having too much fun. Does the game pick up after a certain point?

Like I shouldn't be asking for more time to play with my Digimons on a Digimon game :mad:

Nope, the game is exactly like that from start to finish, its a very text and story heavy Digimon game.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

Araxxor posted:

They never said they recreated the models. That too was a mistranslation.

10F was really cool, and the boss fight was a great way to cap it off. Probably my favorite floor so far.

gently caress him, he forced me against my will to fight other ghosts for his poo poo flick. He's getting trapped in a glass jar for eternity.

14F was my favourite, looks so vibrant

Thunder Bear
Jul 27, 2009

fig. 0143

Bleck posted:

I don't know enough about game development to know whether or not it's a reasonable thing for them to be dropping half the dex, but at the very least it stands to give competitive battling a big breath of fresh air

Dexit is a bummer, but this is how I'm looking at it.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Takoluka posted:

Or you could *not* do this and actually show Game Freak that you won't put up with an inferior product.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

sword/shield will get boycotted, go down in history as being one of the worst games of all time for only having 9 pokemon in it, sell less than a thousand copies, and then game freak will have to make drill dozer 2 instead

hd rumble drill dozer, folks

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
I guess what I don’t understand is people being this mad at GameFreak and this certain that they are lying to you for (laziness?) reasons and still buying the game. Not out of some principled moral objection or a boycott that will change the world but because it sounds like you don’t like their products anymore. Games are meant to bring joy. Or at least pleasure.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

doingitwrong posted:

I guess what I don’t understand is people being this mad at GameFreak and this certain that they are lying to you for (laziness?) reasons and still buying the game. Not out of some principled moral objection or a boycott that will change the world but because it sounds like you don’t like their products anymore. Games are meant to bring joy. Or at least pleasure.

There's a long way to go from "I don't like this change and it's very bad for the game" to "there is nothing of value for me in this game"

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
I think probably what is happening is game freak have made a calculated business decision that the vast majority of their sales will go towards a fresh crop of kids getting the new pokeymans for Christmas potentially on a new switch lite, so more money all round

Most of the people rightly or wrongly complaining about not being able to import pokemon from 7 generations back are the jorts wearing 30+ adults who will bitch and moan a lot on the internet but ultimately make up a small fraction of the total customer base and will most likely buy them anyway because they have more disposable income and also hate themselves

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!
Pokemon fans are almost as bad as smash bros fans

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

MUSCULAR BEAVER posted:

Well, mostly the ones who play competitively (and the hanger-ons.)

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

MUSCULAR BEAVER posted:

It's not fair comparing children to adults.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

handwringing about fanbases is lame as hell

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Andrast posted:

There's a long way to go from "I don't like this change and it's very bad for the game" to "there is nothing of value for me in this game"

Yeah, it's this.

Losing 500 of the things sucks and makes me feel like I wasted my time trying to put a living dex together over the years without cheating so it's just "man this really sucks".
I still want to see the new things and play the new game, it's just a problem that's going to stand out and the weak reasoning given just doesn't really satisfy. It sucks hearing that this is going to be the future of pokemon and that's about it.

:shrug:

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
On the other hand, you made it sound like game freak was coming into your house and stealing your old pokemon from their cartridges then deleting them. The way you represented the pokemon bank thing was wilfully disingenuous, just don't sign up to the thing if you don't want to pay for nebulous future promises of worth. If you want to play with your old pokemon you have generations of games to do that with. There's what, nearly 1,000 different pokemon at this point? You had to realise at some point they needed to make a cut-off.

If I were a pokemon fan I'd be more bothered about the fact that any changes to the formula have been extremely conservative and iterative at best, with the basic gameplay remaining fundamentally unchanged for decades, but then I guess that's why I'm not a pokemon fan. It trades on nostalgia and a lot of that nostalgia is tying the older fans to the original generations. Would there perhaps be less griping if the new games looked and felt like a totally fresh experience?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Personally, I'm looking forward to finding out what Sword and Shield is like when it leaves Early Access.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Andrast posted:

handwringing about fanbases is lame as hell

Beer snobs vs. Anime fans

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Butterfly Valley posted:

On the other hand, you made it sound like game freak was coming into your house and stealing your old pokemon from their cartridges then deleting them. The way you represented the pokemon bank thing was wilfully disingenuous, just don't sign up to the thing if you don't want to pay for nebulous future promises of worth. If you want to play with your old pokemon you have generations of games to do that with. There's what, nearly 1,000 different pokemon at this point? You had to realise at some point they needed to make a cut-off.

If I were a pokemon fan I'd be more bothered about the fact that any changes to the formula have been extremely conservative and iterative at best, with the basic gameplay remaining fundamentally unchanged for decades, but then I guess that's why I'm not a pokemon fan. It trades on nostalgia and a lot of that nostalgia is tying the older fans to the original generations. Would there perhaps be less griping if the new games looked and felt like a totally fresh experience?

I mean yeah, there's a lot of problems about battle frontiers and the like constantly getting cut. Nobody is really silent on those- it just never gets anywhere because "haha gamefreak takes 1 step forward and then cuts enough features to be 2 steps back, those wacky devs"

And I mean, I really wasn't. In my case I played Moon, and I played Ultra Moon. I have shiny pokemon from Gen 7 that I was saving to transfer to Gen 8. Now that they aren't in 8 my only option is to delete my save and just keep replaying the same game over and over again. I don't want to do that because as a lot of people will tell you, Gen 7 kinda sucks to play through with most of the game being a giant tutorial.

Hearing that Sword/Shield is lacking a tutorial, and is possibly more replay friendly I'm pretty excited. It just sucks that I won't be able to take advantage of bringing over the mons I cared to get for it. It's not really that big of a wrap around to say it's a bummer.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Unless Pokemon takes a similar leap forward like BOTW did to Zelda, I’m not that interested.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

It's not really that big of a wrap around to say it's a bummer.
Actually, I think you'll find it's a fantastic opportunity to renew your Pokémon™ Bank subscription at just US$4.99 a year, billed annually.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I mean yeah, there's a lot of problems about battle frontiers and the like constantly getting cut. Nobody is really silent on those- it just never gets anywhere because "haha gamefreak takes 1 step forward and then cuts enough features to be 2 steps back, those wacky devs"

And I mean, I really wasn't. In my case I played Moon, and I played Ultra Moon. I have shiny pokemon from Gen 7 that I was saving to transfer to Gen 8. Now that they aren't in 8 my only option is to delete my save and just keep replaying the same game over and over again. I don't want to do that because as a lot of people will tell you, Gen 7 kinda sucks to play through with most of the game being a giant tutorial.

Hearing that Sword/Shield is lacking a tutorial, and is possibly more replay friendly I'm pretty excited. It just sucks that I won't be able to take advantage of bringing over the mons I cared to get for it. It's not really that big of a wrap around to say it's a bummer.

It's the first game on a new platform for them, and it's a real big shift from handhelds to home consoles with what's expected of a title. They also quite likely have to do a lot of work from scratch. Culling the number of Pokemon in the game makes a lot of developmental headaches go away, because the stuff they get working in Sword/Shield only has to be done once. Subsequent titles can build off that to reuse engine code and assets, and give time to sticking in more of your favourite Pokemon.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's the first game on a new platform for them, and it's a real big shift from handhelds to home consoles with what's expected of a title. They also quite likely have to do a lot of work from scratch. Culling the number of Pokemon in the game makes a lot of developmental headaches go away, because the stuff they get working in Sword/Shield only has to be done once. Subsequent titles can build off that to reuse engine code and assets, and give time to sticking in more of your favourite Pokemon.

Well, once this generation. There's no telling how things will shake out next gen for sure.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Yeah, again if it was just this gen would be 'argh fine' but Masuda has gone on record saying that no, next gen will be cutting stuff from Gen 8 and nobody really knows what's going to happen. Maybe he'll walk that back but with that being the only thing to go off it's a downer.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Neddy Seagoon posted:

They also quite likely have to do a lot of work from scratch.

A big part of the reason people are so frustrated is that they're not doing stuff from scratch. If all the returning pokemon had completely new models and animations in a different art style I think people would be a lot more understanding, but they're reusing the exact same models and animations they had in the 3ds games. Sword and shield actually have significantly less pokemon than X and Y did, despite the fact that Sword and Shield are reusing tons of models and animations from previous games while X and Y had to build everything from scratch.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Hello my launch joycons are drifting.

Are they still offering servicing for them?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Infinitum posted:

Hello my launch joycons are drifting.

Are they still offering servicing for them?

Where do you live?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Australia