Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funkdreamer
Jul 15, 2005

It'll be a blast
I made a comprehensive list of the best in-game cosmetics

1) Mu Yanling sleeve
2) Storybook styles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Just got into this after not having played MTG in a long while.

I guess I picked a good time to start, since the standard rotation just happened a month ago?

Would the best first purchase be to spend $15 on the Welcome Bundle and then the Standard Bundle, or to buy one of the redeemable decks?

Also, if I do buy those bundles and get 3500 gems, I should save them for the next mastery rotation, correct?

Lastly, if I'm playing pretty casually, should I be spending my coins on packs? I have about 7k saved up at this point, after having finished the 25 level base Mastery Levels

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Scholtz posted:

Lastly, if I'm playing pretty casually, should I be spending my coins on packs? I have about 7k saved up at this point, after having finished the 25 level base Mastery Levels

I use my coins to enter draft events that payout in gems. It's pretty much the only way to turn coins into gems, and you also get the cards from drafting. Check out Tolarian Community College's video on the economy of MTG Arena, it's pretty good.

But it's probably mostly up to personal taste and playing habits.

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights

Funkdreamer posted:

I made a comprehensive list of the best in-game cosmetics

1) Mu Yanling sleeve
2) Storybook styles

+Japanese Liliana sleeves

What do the mu yanling sleeves look like? It's hard to find pictures of the cosmetics online.

seizure later
Apr 18, 2007
they should have a permanent Brawl queue that just doesn't count towards any daily or weekly quests if they want to be so precious about retaining a healthy standard queue.

then also allow Commander Friendly Brawl in that same queue because it's even better.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

zoux posted:

The MODO 5-0 league lists include almost zero Food decks, remind me why those lists are dumb and bad

we discussed that these are just a selection of 20 different decks out of 100s of different 5-0 lists, but here are some recent tournament results for comparison:

lyon:

nagoya:

Sjonkel
Jan 31, 2012
Now that Brawl is available again, what are some good/fun decks you guys can recommend?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Bust Rodd’s Brawl Tier List:

T1: Chulane, Yarok, Niv-Miz RB
T2: Domri, Anarch of Bolas, Emry, Lady of the Loch, Royal Scions
T3: Yarva (Mono-G) and Torbran

Everything else seems slower and less consistent

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

The child delights in violence.

Scholtz posted:

I guess I picked a good time to start, since the standard rotation just happened a month ago?

Would the best first purchase be to spend $15 on the Welcome Bundle and then the Standard Bundle, or to buy one of the redeemable decks?

Also, if I do buy those bundles and get 3500 gems, I should save them for the next mastery rotation, correct?

The Welcome Bundle is definitely good value for money. I don't know about the Standard Bundle. I don't know what's in them exactly but I can't imagine the redeemable decks being good enough to be worth purchasing them just to redeem the codes.

How you spend your gold depends on how much you like limited. If you want to draft then save your gold for drafting, which gets you more packs for your money but fewer wildcards. If you just want to play constructed then go ahead and buy packs.

Sjonkel posted:

Now that Brawl is available again, what are some good/fun decks you guys can recommend?

It's pretty simple but I got some good results with this Krenko mono-red deck. https://www.mtggoldfish.com/archetype/brawl-krenko-tin-street-kingpin-107076#paper

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Sjonkel posted:

For aggro, the aforementioned Krenko is fun, or lil Domri. The latter kinda builds himself - beefy boys, ramp, domri's ambush/thrash some burn etc. Don't forget there's an uncommon "domri specific" card that fits nicely in the deck. I forget the name but it's a 3/1 for 1GR boar.

For midrange, Yarok or Chulane if you don't mind spending the WC. Korvold's jund sacrifice can play with food, which is fun.

Control is Izzet Niv/Nicol Bolas, again, pretty obvious decks. You can build Bolas around digging for Fires of Invention, it's very hard to lose with that combo going since Fires pays up to the commander tax. So you just bolas every turn. That's fair.

Rainbow Niv is... Midrange-y? I'm not sure. Make sure you play with rhythm of the wild / faeburrow elder. Elder being a ritual is good times.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Garruk brawl is insanely fun. I've gurrently got a 7/7 Sedge Scorpion with Trample.

I feel like there's a really solid Nissa/Proliferate thing there too I haven't got round to building yet, and I had a lot of very suboptimal fun doing Huatli with all the big tough low-power creatures in White.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
brawl seems kind of poo poo, it's just all aggro decks. at least in commander theres sufficient sweepers, or sweepers you can tutor for

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

Relin posted:

brawl seems kind of poo poo, it's just all aggro decks. at least in commander theres sufficient sweepers, or sweepers you can tutor for

I have not found this to be the case at all. Sorry I've taken all the jank opponents!

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Yeah, I've found a LOT more ramp and control decks than aggro.

And I've had a lot of matches run super long with some pretty wild swings, I really like it as a format.

I'm also pleased that my heavily tweaked Selesnya deck is actually start9ing to be reasonably reliable in standard constructed, though it helps that I'm able to play just after the day resets when most of the good players aren't awake lol. My performance falls off pretty rapidly aroudn thsi time of day.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

If you're already committed to spending money, and you want to do both a bit of drafting and buying packs, you're better off buying packs with gold and drafting with gems.

Ranked draft entry is 5000 gold, which is 5 booster packs worth of gold, or 750 gems, which is 3.75 booster packs worth of gems.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I like Brawl specifically because I can play decks capable of occasionally getting under the Niv and Bolas decks.

I played a LOT of Torbran and Scions last time, so I'm going to try and branch out ... uh, this evening in the hour or so I have after the kids go to bed.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Relin posted:

How many sweepers do you need exactly?

seizure later
Apr 18, 2007

Relin posted:

aggro really struggles in Brawl because there aren't enough good 1 and 2 drops to make your opening reliably fast, and the extra 5 starting life is also a bigger hurdle than it first appears. even the fastest "aggro" decks in Brawl aren't going to be in a winning position until turn 6 or 7, and that's only if they've got a nuts draw and you've done gently caress all every turn.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

Scholtz posted:

My suggestion is to spend almost everything on Eldraine packs (gold, gems, the kitchen sink) because having more wildcards means having access to a variety of decks earlier. Unless you absolutely love doing draft/events, in which case go for it but keep in mind it's not the most effective way to build a collection.

EDIT: welcome bundle and standard bundle are both solid in value. Imo always buy time/situation limited bundles if you can.

Kawabata fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Nov 6, 2019

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

I play a Boros Tajic deck and yeah, if you don't do anything for three turns you'll lose but I also insta-lose Merfolk Secretkeeper, so, you know.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
brawl: still loving fun

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
WHY IS BRAWL ONLY WEDNESDAYS WHY

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

flatluigi posted:

brawl: still loving fun

Seriously, I'm well past my dailies and tired of not making progress in standard, but Brawl is still reliably fun, and it's still great coming acress clever combos I would never have thought of or known about to file away to try later completely forget because I'm hyperfocussed on green.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.
I wonder how extensively Veil of Summer was tested. It's only one mana, it's often a 2 for 1, and it's obvious that green should never have that kind of card, especially not Eldraine green. I wonder if those issues ever came up in conversation and how they were justified by the card's proponents.

You can't even use the "they just want you to buy more packs" Oko excuse, because Veil is uncommon. They do seem to take card design seriously (at least compared to other popular/formerly popular CCGs like HS or Gwent) but there are some choices I just can't wrap my head around.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It’s because after 30 years of green mages being completely exhausted by blue dweebs effortlessly shrugging off our 8-mana creatures with 2-mana spells we’ve decided we’ve had quite enough of that, thanks very much

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

One weird trick to win against blue mages with 20 counterspells.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Scholtz posted:

Yes on the welcome bundle, as for the redeemable decks:

If you go on ebay you can buy the codes for most of those redeemable decks for $1-3 and add a bunch of mediocre cards to your pool.

You can also get a pre-release eldraine code which I think can still be redeemed for a traditional draft (best of 3 matches). In all cases, these can only be redeemed once.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Veil was a mistake and is one of the most powerful cards ever printed

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
All the blue mages are loving pissed when their spells get countered. Veil is fine.

One weird trick to get around veil: play red, white, or green.

edit: also WotC should consider printing good white and red cards.

AngryBooch fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Nov 6, 2019

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Veil aint fine try running any sort of blue control deck and see how you feel when the first forest drops on turn 1. Makes you hate green but also makes you realize you're running counterspells and kind of deserve it too.

Eldraine itself doesn't feel very well tested. Either that or they're going to start rattling off even more bonker cards to sell packs and this will be known as the age of banning.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

AngryBooch posted:

All the blue mages are loving pissed when their spells get countered. Veil is fine.

One weird trick to get around veil: play red, white, or green.

edit: also WotC should consider printing good white and red cards.

The card that immediately got slotted into everything with green mana in every format ever was probably just a little too strong

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

Time posted:

Veil was a mistake and is one of the most powerful cards ever printed

I haven't played Mtg long enough to have an opinion on its power level in other formats but it's super awkward to see that card in green. Like it has no business being that color. Also maybe don't give it to green when it already has the best minions, best planeswalkers and best ramp, maybe wait for the next rotation I guess.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I wouldn't really mind Veil much if it was strictly anti-blue and didn't block all of the efficient removal spells because they include black.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Time posted:

The card that immediately got slotted into everything with green mana in every format ever was probably just a little too strong

Then Negate was a mistake.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

AngryBooch posted:

Then Negate was a mistake.

Negate absolutely doesn’t see play in legacy, it barely sees play in modern, and veil outnumbers it in both formats by a huge margin in the rare instances it pops up. It’s as good as red blast, a card they would never print again because it’s too good

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Please clarify what you mean by "it has no business being in green" because according to important an longstanding concepts in Magic, like the Color Pie, Green is historically really good at telling blue and black to go gently caress off, it's just that it's almost always done that through the use of a powerful creature or maybe a weird enchantment. Veil being a very pushed Instant is the part that's weird, but Instants are critical at every level of competitive play regardless of meta. Sometimes meta's invalidate creatures, or artifacts, or enchantments, but Instants are always relevant to everything.

Also, I built this Emara deck this morning and I'm 7-1, you just go too wide for everyone else. I only lost to Mardu fires this morning who drew like 7 wipes.

Commander
1 Emmara, Soul of the Accord (GRN) 168

1 Huatli's Raptor (WAR) 200
1 Knight of Autumn (GRN) 183
1 Lovestruck Beast (ELD) 165
1 Sumala Woodshaper (GRN) 200
1 Tolsimir, Friend to Wolves (WAR) 224
1 Trostani Discordant (GRN) 208
1 Thrashing Brontodon (M20) 197
1 Beast Whisperer (GRN) 123
1 Giant Killer (ELD) 14
1 Charming Prince (ELD) 8
1 Hushbringer (ELD) 18
1 Tomik, Distinguished Advokist (WAR) 34
1 Tithe Taker (RNA) 27
1 Gideon Blackblade (WAR) 13
1 Hanged Executioner (M20) 22
1 God-Eternal Oketra (WAR) 16
1 Flaxen Intruder (ELD) 155
1 Pelt Collector (GRN) 141
1 Incubation Druid (RNA) 131
1 Wildborn Preserver (ELD) 182
1 Questing Beast (ELD) 171
1 Biogenic Ooze (RNA) 122
1 Voracious Hydra (M20) 200
1 Venerated Loxodon (GRN) 30
1 Camaraderie (GRN) 157
1 March of the Multitudes (GRN) 188
1 Kenrith's Transformation (ELD) 164
1 Flower // Flourish (GRN) 226
1 Smothering Tithe (RNA) 22
1 Ajani, the Greathearted (WAR) 184
1 Pledge of Unity (WAR) 210
1 Prison Realm (WAR) 26
1 Conclave Tribunal (GRN) 6
1 Deafening Silence (ELD) 10
1 Guardian Project (RNA) 130
1 The Great Henge (ELD) 161
1 Castle Ardenvale (ELD) 238
9 Plains (ANA) 56
8 Forest (ANA) 60
1 Castle Garenbrig (ELD) 240
1 Temple Garden (GRN) 258
1 Selesnya Guildgate (GRN) 256
1 Command Tower (ELD) 333
1 Evolving Wilds (M20) 246

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Nov 6, 2019

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
maybe blue should get a 1 mana counterspell that draws a card that only works on green/white permanents? Or maybe that's a bad idea, hard to tell.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Time posted:

Negate absolutely doesn’t see play in legacy, it barely sees play in modern, and veil outnumbers it in both formats by a huge margin in the rare instances it pops up. It’s as good as red blast, a card they would never print again because it’s too good

They should absolutely reprint Pyroblast into standard. I'm just shooting the poo poo, but I really do think the main issue with Veil being too strong is that WotC isn't printing good white and red cards.

Doltos posted:

Veil aint fine try running any sort of blue control deck and see how you feel when the first forest drops on turn 1. Makes you hate green but also makes you realize you're running counterspells and kind of deserve it too.

Eldraine itself doesn't feel very well tested. Either that or they're going to start rattling off even more bonker cards to sell packs and this will be known as the age of banning.

I'm sure it feels kinda like when your opponent has dropped a tapped watery grave turn one for the last 12 months.

AngryBooch fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Nov 6, 2019

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Time posted:

you're right, Oko was bad.

Veil seems to be fine though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Veil wasn't as good when Teferi, Time Raveler was the best three mana planeswalker. Oko once again is twisting the meta.