Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truth Quark
Mar 21, 2010

:ffg:
EAT THE DONUTS
:ffg:

seizure later posted:

wild to think that come the end of the year Simic Nexus probably wouldn't even rank in the top 5 most annoying and dogshit to play against UGx decks

Simic Nexus had hate cards, like cindervines, or... counterspells...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

seizure later posted:

wild to think that come the end of the year Simic Nexus probably wouldn't even rank in the top 5 most annoying and dogshit to play against UGx decks

LoL Nexus was more annoying than Golos was, I’d still put it as

1. Oko Food
2. Nexus
3. Bant Golos

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Simic Nexus owns, I'm glad it's good in Pioneer

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Eej posted:

Simic Nexus owns, I'm glad it's good in Pioneer

Boo this man! Boo!

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Nexus teaches you an important lesson in Magic: sometimes you've lost before the game is actually over

Also: do you really think you're griefing a combo deck player by letting them play out their combo lol

seizure later
Apr 18, 2007
the more I look at the spoiled Theros cards the more I'm convinced there's going to be a black enchantment that reads "Whenever you pay a card's Escape cost, create X 1/1 Nyx Born creatures under your control, where X is the Escape cost"

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Eej posted:

Nexus teaches you an important lesson in Magic: sometimes you've lost before the game is actually over

Also: do you really think you're griefing a combo deck player by letting them play out their combo lol

"YOU CAN JUST CONCEDE"

https://www.twitch.tv/starcitygames/clip/CovertBrainyPorpoiseYouWHY?filter=clips&range=30d&sort=time

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Eej posted:

Sometimes.....yes. Them doing 40,000 clicks while I watch TV and drink a beer is fine by me. Even then half of the time I wana see the combo and I imagine they want to do their whole combo for once.
E: Note: I am a casual player.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Oh also for those who didn't follow the decks make sure you've picked up your Command Tower and Arcane Signet in brawl, they're commons.

There's also this:

I haven't put it in every deck but it goes in a lot of them.

seizure later posted:

the more I look at the spoiled Theros cards the more I'm convinced there's going to be a black enchantment that reads "Whenever you pay a card's Escape cost, create X 1/1 Nyx Born creatures under your control, where X is the Escape cost"
That sounds kind of abusive unless the upfront cost is high. The doggo would make eight power for three cards in the yard and four mana?

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Veil is absolutely beyond broken, it’s a 1-mana cantripping answer to
1) any counterspell
2) most kill spells
3) any discard spell
in a color that’s not supposed to be able to interact with those things very well.
If it didn’t have the draw a card clause it would still see tons of play, that’s how good it is. Think of all the 1-mana cards with “draw a card” on them and then think about how many of them would still be playable if they didn’t say draw a card.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I just don’t consider “A very good sideboard card” to be “broken”. Like Veil of Summer isn’t scaring anyone away from any format and it’s not really invalidating anything on a meta-level, it just leads to potential blowouts.

It’s exceedingly, exceptionally strong, but it’s not stopping U/W Control or Temur Reclamation or Rakdos Catfood from functioning and putting up a fight.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

ChiTownEddie posted:

Sometimes.....yes. Them doing 40,000 clicks while I watch TV and drink a beer is fine by me. Even then half of the time I wana see the combo and I imagine they want to do their whole combo for once.
E: Note: I am a casual player.

at this point you're not a player, you're an audience

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Lone Goat posted:

at this point you're not a player, you're an audience

Factual. I lost to Ali's newer infinite turns deck before I'd seen his stuff on it and just wanted to watch to see what it did.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

seizure later posted:

Cost in exiled cards or mana?

There's a black sorcery for 2 damage to the face, and an escape cost of 3B and three cards exiled. I see that ending a lot of games if you have the mana to cast it a couple of times.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Relin posted:

brawl seems kind of poo poo, it's just all aggro decks. at least in commander theres sufficient sweepers, or sweepers you can tutor for

Makes sense to have a lot of aggro in brawl, right? This is why I'm running 4 gingerbrutes and a bunch of auras/ equipment. Granted, I eat poo poo 60% of the time, but I'm having fun.

edit: der, I'm not running 4 of them in brawl, but that was the deck I used as my brawl template... mea culpa

boo_radley fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Nov 6, 2019

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Eej posted:

Sometimes I watch it play out because unless it's gonna delete all my creatures or literally kill me this turn, I do have bombs which will let me win left (in particular with my current deck, I have enough damage on the board for Bond of Discipline to murder them if I have the opportunity to play it uncountered).

Other times because it's entertaining.

Others because I don't have anything better to do and there's always room for them to gently caress up a complicated combo system.

boo_radley posted:

Makes sense to have a lot of aggro in brawl, right? This is why I'm running 4 gingerbrutes and a bunch of auras/ equipment. Granted, I eat poo poo 60% of the time, but I'm having fun.

How are you playing more than one gingerbrute in Brawl...?

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Lava Dart was my best friend 'cause people always forget about the last few damage when your hand is empty and your lands are tapped.

I suppose you still have to tap lands for these.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Put together Rienne in Brawl, living the zoo dream of killing them swiftly or getting mana screwed and conceding on turn 2, hell yea

Also her animation looks better than the card art, oy

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
Brawl is ultra fun, ranked when?

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Bust Rodd posted:

I just don’t consider “A very good sideboard card” to be “broken”. Like Veil of Summer isn’t scaring anyone away from any format and it’s not really invalidating anything on a meta-level, it just leads to potential blowouts.

It’s exceedingly, exceptionally strong, but it’s not stopping U/W Control or Temur Reclamation or Rakdos Catfood from functioning and putting up a fight.

It invalidates interactive midrange that run black or blue pretty well in every format and the results have born that out before oko was even printed

seizure later
Apr 18, 2007

IMJack posted:

Cost in exiled cards or mana?

There's a black sorcery for 2 damage to the face, and an escape cost of 3B and three cards exiled. I see that ending a lot of games if you have the mana to cast it a couple of times.

probably exiled cards thinking about it, but it'd probably be something like a 5/6CMC cost enchantment, similar to Ethereal Absolution.

just trying to think of some payoff to the Escape mechanic since at the moment it looks pretty underwhelming.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Time posted:

It invalidates interactive midrange that run black or blue pretty well in every format and the results have born that out before oko was even printed

Most Urza Oko decks in Modern I've seen aren't running Veil of Summer.

M20 Standard was dominated by Kethis Combo, Bant Scapeshift, Golos Nexus, Vampires, Mono Red, and Esper? I think the only one of those decks that ran Veil is Bant Scapeshift.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Ashiok mono-u is really good for Budget Brawl. Just run counterspells, walls, bounce, card draw, and those cards like Frogify and Kasmina's Transformation to gently caress their commanders, and you're gonna deck them eventually.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
or just run a few dozen petitioners

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Who's the best Commander for Petitioners? Gadwick? Jace?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Jace if you want to win the mirror and don't really care about anything else.

Gadwick if you want to maximize your odds against midrangey decks that will actually play removal.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Not being able to be countered is well established in Green flavor

Slio
Jan 17, 2009

It's Green Elemental Blast that Cantrips 90% of the time. For 1. Imagine if Aether Gust or Noxious Grasp drew a card, and also just cost one mana. There hasn't been a color hate card as strong as Veil of Summer since Boil/Choke.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

it's much stronger in non-rotating formats because it's a hate card that's not effective against the best color in standard right now, that part is easy

the problem with veil is that it hits a MASSIVE variety of threats. hate cards are historically narrow and strong (teferi's response) or broad and weaker (ghost quarter). veil is both super broad-- it interacts with three different types of spells-- and super strong, since it's a 1-mana instant speed 2-for-1.

it's doing gruesome things in legacy. people hate having their spells countered, fair, but since blue hasn't been able to do much against resolved permanents since 1995 or so they kind of have to be able to counter.

like, yeah, it's green elemental blast, but way way way better, and the elemental blasts are way too strong to print today.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

drat, getting my rear end kicked in Brawl but by a large variety of clever decks so it's fun anyway

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights
Bust Rodd

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Veil is a questionable card strictly because of power level, not because of play pattern. There's nothing wrong with deciding to float or not as the green player and the pros and cons of playing into veil as the non-green player, that part's all actually pretty cool. It's just too strong compared to what other cards in the game do for 1 mana.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Nov 7, 2019

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Eej posted:

I've seen enough posts in this thread alone to say that yes, combo deck players actually do get mad when you don't concede during the Nexus loop

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

( ) elemental blast also takes out resolved permanents, dunno if you guys are making the right comparison

I'm just spitballing but maybe you side in more permanents if veil is giving you a problem? It still cycles there, of course.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Side in more permanents as Blue or Black, the colours with shittier creatures than Green, the colour with literally the best creatures.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

the problem with veil is that it hits a MASSIVE variety of threats. hate cards are historically narrow and strong (teferi's response) or broad and weaker (ghost quarter). veil is both super broad-- it interacts with three different types of spells-- and super strong, since it's a 1-mana instant speed 2-for-1.

it's doing gruesome things in legacy. people hate having their spells countered, fair, but since blue hasn't been able to do much against resolved permanents since 1995 or so they kind of have to be able to counter.

like, yeah, it's green elemental blast, but way way way better, and the elemental blasts are way too strong to print today.

It doesn't "hit threats" at all, it's purely reactive and purely defensive. It does nothing against board clears. Cmon guys keep your heads.

So much whining itt.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

This conversation is hyper dumb, but it's still way better than the constant whining on reddit about lack of friends lists.

Also magic's best trick after the reserved list is convincing people the colors are real and their friends or enemies.

Doltos posted:

I've seen enough posts in this thread alone to say that yes, combo deck players actually do get mad when you don't concede during the Nexus loop
Wasn't there an article where some random dumb gently caress was posting about how upsetting it was people conceded fast in the play queue? Magic players are seriously challenged by the idea there's another human being across the table not doing exactly what they want them to.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
One time on Arena I made a guy play out his Nexus deck. After going through his entire deck I saw he didn't have a single win condition in the whole thing. He proceeded to take about 15 more turns, spamming "Good Game" the entire time before finally conceding.

And that is why I always make them play it out

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Spiderdrake posted:

Wasn't there an article where some random dumb gently caress was posting about how upsetting it was people conceded fast in the play queue? Magic players are seriously challenged by the idea there's another human being across the table not doing exactly what they want them to.

Yep saw that article but the guys point was more that he was saying that people concede too fast when they still have a possibility to win, and that it seems like Arena players do it more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
I don't think Veil is more overpowered and oppressive than the things it's hosing, but I do think it's silly that the design has to exist in the first place. It's sort of like the color hoser version of Questing Beast: yes, it might serve a valuable role in the metagame ecosystem, but it's dumb that power creep has advanced to that point in the first place where they just need to slop lines of text onto a card until it provides enough value to be playable in the rocket tag metagame.