Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Chita might be worse now that I'm thinking about it, poo poo was pretty gross. I could barely chug the entire bottle on the train.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Hauki posted:

nah, suntory comprises a bunch of brands and most of them are good so i think dude's tastebuds are just broke

i've tried a ton of their bottlings and none of them taste anything like burning tires

I am not a dude, and they would be brokEN, thanks muchly.

I do not like any Suntory whiskey I have tried. That is only my personal opinion and does not reflect on the actual quality thereof. What can I say, I'm more of a "choke down Gilbey's" girl. I hope everyone has a nice day itt.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Grand Fromage posted:

Chita might be worse now that I'm thinking about it, poo poo was pretty gross. I could barely chug the entire bottle on the train.

This is why we have you at a desk near the window, Cheezu-san.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Stringent posted:

Here's what they had at Yodobashi in Akihabara.

I've had the one on the right for almost ten years and it's still going strong.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Suntory is a huge company... they actually own Jim Beam these days. All the japanese whiskeys i've tried have doubled in price over the past 10 years and as much as I like them I can't recommend ones with age statements for $100 a bottle when bourbon is so cheap.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

No Wave posted:

Suntory is a huge company... they actually own Jim Beam these days. All the japanese whiskeys i've tried have doubled in price over the past 10 years and as much as I like them I can't recommend ones with age statements for $100 a bottle when bourbon is so cheap.

Speaking of which, the Legent bourbon is really good...some sort of joint venture between the Suntory and Beam master distillers.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
While I was at Uwajimaya, the giant Japanese grocery in Seattle, and I saw some Morimoto branded instant ramen and figured "Cool, I'll give it a try". Looked at the back once I got home and didn't feel like cooking. Fugging 90% of your RDI of Sodium in a package. Maybe I'll save those for a day when my blood pressure isn't already on the high side.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

has anyone ever seen The Premium Malt's in the US? i want that warm fuzzy pregaming for goldengai feeling again

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
I hope not, it's the worst beer in Japan.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Stringent posted:

I hope not, it's the worst beer in Japan.
the words of a man who has not tried many japanese beers

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Don't sign your posts.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

the best japanese beer is the one with the cool owl logo even though most of their beers dont taste that special. the logo is cool.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Hitachino Nest

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Stringent posted:

Don't sign your posts.
likewise, b*tch

Stringent posted:

Here's what they had at Yodobashi in Akihabara.

i have the middle one and it's excellent.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

the other best japanese beer is chao(zhao?)ri because it's p deece and widely available

fart simpson fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Oct 31, 2019

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
The best beer in Japan is Baird, don't @ me.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

The best beer in Japan is the cold one you have at the end of a hot humid day.
Preferably with some Gyozas.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I had an excellent Red Ale and Honey Kölsch from Miyajima Brewery on Tuesday, they make good beers, and I say that as a Bavarian.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

kirin ichiban aint half bad :shrug:

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

wow i forgot all about chita, that poo poo is foul.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Hopper posted:

I had an excellent Red Ale and Honey Kölsch from Miyajima Brewery on Tuesday, they make good beers, and I say that as a Bavarian.

Cool, I haven't had anything from Miyajima.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Not sure how new they are as a brewery but after climbing up Mt. Misen these beers were highly welcomed. Especially since everybody else went up by cbale car and down on foot except for the Bavarians...2000+ stone stairs... :negative:

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

fart simpson posted:

the best japanese beer is the one with the cool owl logo even though most of their beers dont taste that special. the logo is cool.

i like their red rice ale, but everything else has been take it or leave it at super premium prices

beautiful can though

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Ebisu is my fave of the macrobrews. Kirin after that. Though outside Japan I like Asahi, the Kirin brewed over here tastes funny but the Asahi is nice.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RE6KX6TK34g

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
Yebisu is best macro, Kirin when you can’t get it, and I went to the Baird in Nakameguro last time I was in Tokyo and it ruled.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Grand Fromage posted:

I thought you weren’t allowed to drink on the train?

On the topic of booze, genshu blows everything else out of the water.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Hopper posted:

Not sure how new they are as a brewery but after climbing up Mt. Misen these beers were highly welcomed. Especially since everybody else went up by cbale car and down on foot except for the Bavarians...2000+ stone stairs... :negative:

When I went the cable car was under repair and I didn't find out until after I was at the top so my plan of "hike up and then cable car down" failed horribly. It was a good hike up though.

On topic content: I've tried making nimono based on this recipe twice now https://justhungry.com/handbook/cooking-courses/japanese-cooking-101-lesson-3-nimono-simmered-dish-basics and it always seems like the only thing that has flavor is the mushrooms and the onions... which started with all the good flavor to begin with. Anyone have any ideas?

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Sitting at Kabukicho Black Hole waiting for my table... that smell alone.

On topic of cooking: I was able to find an EN/JP double language cookbook with everyday recipes and the same for homemade onigiri (the latter at Muji).

I am already excited to come home and not be able to buy the ingredients.

Edit: I did it eat all the meats. So good.

Hopper fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Nov 2, 2019

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Tried my hand at sushi rice tonight and wow, you really do wanna go kinda light on the sushi vinegar. :barf: I mean, I love vinegar, but I think I overdid it. Plus, it's reheated rice, so it ended up kinda waterlogged...there's some sort of proper ratio that I have to figure out.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
So I am home from my trip and want to try my hand at mochi making. Unfortunately I was unable to buy Adzuki beans to make paste, so premade paste it is for now.

However, a lot of recipes call for Japanese potato starch for dusting, but the guy at my Asian store recommended tapioka starch. I guess it doesn't make a difference, or is that a problem?

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Any recommendations for a good Japanese cuisine cookbook with either a vegetarian focus or with recipes that would be relatively easy to modify for a vegetarian? Doesn't need to be fancy or involved food, I'm just looking for something different to work into the usual routine of dinners and really enjoy Japanese food.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Hopper posted:

So I am home from my trip and want to try my hand at mochi making. Unfortunately I was unable to buy Adzuki beans to make paste, so premade paste it is for now.

However, a lot of recipes call for Japanese potato starch for dusting, but the guy at my Asian store recommended tapioka starch. I guess it doesn't make a difference, or is that a problem?

All the different starches have slightly different properties, but just for dusting mochi I don't think it matters much. Tapioca should work.

MockingQuantum posted:

Any recommendations for a good Japanese cuisine cookbook with either a vegetarian focus or with recipes that would be relatively easy to modify for a vegetarian? Doesn't need to be fancy or involved food, I'm just looking for something different to work into the usual routine of dinners and really enjoy Japanese food.

Kansha by Elizabeth Andoh is good.

A lot of Japanese recipes are very easy to modify though. Make dashi with just kombu or kombu and dried shiitakes. A lot of nimono dishes and nabes are mostly vegetables anyway, you could just leave the meat out or add some extra tofu.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

MockingQuantum posted:

Kansha (already mentioned) and Miyoko Nishimoto Schinner's Japanese Cooking: Contemporary & Traditional are good.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
Anyone ever bother buying and using whole katsuobushi? If so, where did you acquire it? Is there information on types or grades or whatever?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

They sell it on Amazon. I've always heard it's way better than the bagged stuff, but you really have to get the slicer box because it's like hacking at a piece of wood with a knife, so I haven't tried it. As much as I want to.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I tried eating curry with seasoned rice and some pickled radishes and oh man that's a bit too much for curry. Really threw me off, I'd rather eat with sticky plain rice instead. I do like a little bit of pickled ginger with it though.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I just discovered they opened a huge... like gigantic Asian supermarket on the 3rd floor of one of our central shopping places in Munich. This may be nothing special where you are from, but Germany and especially Munich, though a major city, suffer from a severe lack of choice when it comes to Asian groceries.

This place has EVERYTHING. From like 15 different brands of dark soy sauce and duck eggs, to 10+ kinds of ramen noodles (dried noodles not instant ramen) and to Yuzu. They have fresh yuzu fruit...

I never imagined I would be able to make yuzu Ramen from scratch...

Sorry for the rambling but I had to share. This opens up so many options, we Germans are always envious of the US when it comes to availability of Asian grocery goods.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Hopper posted:

I just discovered they opened a huge... like gigantic Asian supermarket on the 3rd floor of one of our central shopping places in Munich. This may be nothing special where you are from, but Germany and especially Munich, though a major city, suffer from a severe lack of choice when it comes to Asian groceries.

This place has EVERYTHING. From like 15 different brands of dark soy sauce and duck eggs, to 10+ kinds of ramen noodles (dried noodles not instant ramen) and to Yuzu. They have fresh yuzu fruit...

I never imagined I would be able to make yuzu Ramen from scratch...

Sorry for the rambling but I had to share. This opens up so many options, we Germans are always envious of the US when it comes to availability of Asian grocery goods.

IIRC there are a lot of Japanese people in Frankfurt! I don't know if that's at all helpful to you.

E: Also, I think most Vietnamese grocers will carry a selection of Japanese products. I am really not an expert about demographics in Germany, but I think a Vietnamese grocery might be easy to find.

Fleta Mcgurn fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Dec 5, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Frankfurt is 4 hours away, but yeah a Vietnamese shop was my latest go to. But they had NottingHam adjuStments products and mineral choice in Japanese, only the barebones stuff. Now I have everything I might never need all in one shop!