Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

huh? they make v good phones

the laptops are garbo tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

infernal machines posted:

i'm not the one who made the differentiation

apologies misread and didnt see the "actually" in your question. what youre saying is essentially correct that the venn diagram between home audio and talking speakers is p. much direct overlap

fart simpson posted:

probably it’s only that high because google and amazon basically give them away for free. i think my dad got his google home mini for like $10

its absolutely because theyre given away for free but isnt that the point? i understand the management is right that apple simply cannot make an inexpensive product but i guess where i get confused is why apple cant do so even when the cheap things sell the expensive things. its doubly galling that the expensive things are still expensive but noticeably worse than the products of 5 years ago if this macbook im typing on is any indication

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

cinci zoo sniper posted:

works for me, the only “smart” piece of houseware that i want is blinds

same. blinds to go with my hue bulbs is about all i need now. if ikea made a smart ceiling fan control id probably buy that too

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i've got smart outlets so i can turn my air conditioners on and off without having to get up. it's v lazy, i realize.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
lutron dimmers are great with homekit, pretty rock solid along with hue. I have to reboot ikea’s hub occasionally to resume functionality though.

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

LastInLine posted:

its absolutely because theyre given away for free but isnt that the point? i understand the management is right that apple simply cannot make an inexpensive product but i guess where i get confused is why apple cant do so even when the cheap things sell the expensive things. its doubly galling that the expensive things are still expensive but noticeably worse than the products of 5 years ago if this macbook im typing on is any indication

Amazon wants to sell you bookseverything, Google wants to sell you. Apple wants to sell you hardware. The first two business models work fine with giving hardware, but the latter not so much.

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry
Apple just invented multitasking for iOS with 13.2.2. So innovative. Thanks timb!

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
i got these outlets with little rf remotes instead, they don't need internet to work and they don't phone home, it's great

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

LastInLine posted:

depending on how youre measuring 41% of us households have smart speakers (as of the end of 2018) and that's better market penetration than tablets or wearables

i have no idea youre defining "home audio" tho

this is the thing thats finally turning me from a normal sociable person into some kind of fsf gnuman toecheese pariah because ive started to ask people to turn them off if im at their house for any length of time and they keep popping on in the middle of conversations

ive been gifted three now because theyre so loving subsidized and pushed by amazon that people go "oh i bet the cs guy would like this". the first two i just did the polite acceptance thing then took to electronics recycling but the third one i tried to politely refuse while saying i dont want one in my home. it was awkward but loving amazon shouldnt be able to set a social norm of putting their ears in your home and life then make you feel weird for going "no thanks"

all alexas are bastards

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

I got a haiku fan and the app connects to it through an unsecured ad-hoc wifi network. someone its gonna make my fan spin too fast or even worse too slow.

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

when I replaced all my locks and wanted a keypad lock it's so goddamn stupid you can't get a keypad lock that isn't some smart home monstrosity without going to commercial lines.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

power botton posted:

I got a haiku fan and the app connects to it through an unsecured ad-hoc wifi network. someone its gonna make my fan spin too fast or even worse too slow.

fan death is real

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

power botton posted:

when I replaced all my locks and wanted a keypad lock it's so goddamn stupid you can't get a keypad lock that isn't some smart home monstrosity without going to commercial lines.

ugh, this is the worst thing. they’re all garbage, too. my car unlocks when I have my key in my pocket and touch the door handle, why can’t my front door do this?

pram
Jun 10, 2001

power botton posted:

i have haiku fans too. theyre epic imo

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

pram posted:

i have haiku fans too. theyre epic imo

hell yeah. im never going back. so nice.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
relevant x-post

in hindsight, IoT door locks may not have been a good idea

quote:

As with most IoT devices, the Ring doorbells promise tech-infused solutions to a problem that didn’t really exist and it’s just causing more problems.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

pram posted:

most reliable time piece ever created. phone bad

gonna disagree pram

only problem is sometimes the wake up song keeps repeating but you can take that as a sign to iimprove yourself

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

♫ so put your little hand in mine... ♪

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

The Management posted:

ugh, this is the worst thing. they’re all garbage, too. my car unlocks when I have my key in my pocket and touch the door handle, why can’t my front door do this?

gently caress i want this for my house so bad now

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i've seen one irl that used a bluetooth fob or your phone and capacitive touch on the handle

it was a complete piece of poo poo that was so incredibly unreliable it was replaced inside of a month

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

if I owned my place I would build a RFID reader with an electronic strike plate, doesn't require much cost or electronics knowledge to do these days with all the hobbyist shops on the web

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

very on the nose for Gizmodo to realize that - especially since their ad model is about hyping useless tech lol

also why is bitdefender referred to as the “actuary of the internet of things”

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

The Management posted:

feels like cars have had dootdoot locks for decades but houses use Ye olde Churche Lockes. which are probably a lot more secure.

also have we lolled at the /r/edc nerds carrying a pistol for “safety” while photographing their keys for the internet to copy?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

well why not posted:

feels like cars have had dootdoot locks for decades but houses use Ye olde Churche Lockes. which are probably a lot more secure.

also have we lolled at the /r/edc nerds carrying a pistol for “safety” while photographing their keys for the internet to copy?

my favourite r/edc thing is how it is absolutely impossible to live a fulfilling adult life without carrying at least 2 knives on yourself at all times

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

like, what will you have to do if you suddenly must cut an entrecôte steak and slice through a 1/2” rope at the same time????

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

there's also the implication that if someone carries two knives they probably own at least a dozen

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

cinci zoo sniper posted:

my favourite r/edc thing is how it is absolutely impossible to live a fulfilling adult life without carrying at least 2 knives on yourself at all times

"it's for opening boxes!!"

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

im a simple man. I have my wallet, phone, and Raf Simons keychain.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

power botton posted:

im a simple man. I have my wallet, 1975 combo digital alarm clock + FM radio, and Raf Simons keychain.

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

I really want a nice simple Thom Browne money clip. I think that would really complete my edc as a man of modest tastes

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I have a margiela wallet / card holder and it’s amazing. can’t imagine using anything else.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

gonna disagree pram

only problem is sometimes the wake up song keeps repeating but you can take that as a sign to iimprove yourself

watch out for the seperate knob for the alarm volume vs radio volume

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

well why not posted:

I have a margiela wallet / card holder and it’s amazing. can’t imagine using anything else.

lmao you paid ~$300 for about $20 worth of leather. is it at least made in italy? but jesus christ dude you could get it custom-made in the usa out of shell cordovan for less than that

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

DELETE CASCADE posted:

lmao you paid ~$300 for about $20 worth of leather. is it at least made in italy? but jesus christ dude you could get it custom-made in the usa out of shell cordovan for less than that

it was a gift from a very wealthy friend and it was not anything like $300. $20 leather may or not be true but it is very clearly high quality leather.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

some good cow right here *smacks wallet*

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
i used to have a pigskin wallet and it was incredibly durable

but way bulky

cooler as an idea than as a product

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
how about that wallet with the pigskin

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

power botton posted:

im a simple man. I have my wallet, 1975 combo digital alarm clock + FM radio, and Raf Simons keychain.

and gun

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

ive only ever used one wallet that my mom got me when i was 13. any other wallet is uncomfortable

but i don’t really carry a wallet anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001
the four figgy fucktard lifestyle