Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Another Bill posted:

I was joking but it's happened twice more in the last 10 mins. Someone's trying to get in my email for some reason. E: probably not my posting let's be real

Someone still working their way through the Ashley Madison dump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

Crow Buddy posted:

Someone once called me a bad poster. I reminded them that since I wasn't currently holding a gun to their head making them read my posts, that meant that I was in fact a good poster.

They cautiously nodded, then we both agreed that it was the Russians that are the bad posters.

That's weird, this newly registered account is speaking like they're always been here

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
The Ruskies just voted in Wheatland county to demand changes to confederation or else they will hold a referendum on secession.

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/wheatland-county-passes-resolution-calling-for-alberta-independence-referendum-1.4673649

quote:

CALGARY -- A southeastern Alberta county passed a resolution Tuesday calling for changes to the confederation — or Alberta would hold an independence referendum.

Wheatland County Coun. Jason Wilson’s resolution, pressing the provincial government to insert Alberta’s constitutional rights within confederation, will now go out to other municipalities across the province.

“The point of the resolution was really to let the provincial government, and the nation even, know about the frustrations that rural Albertans are facing right now,” said Wilson.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
I wonder what they think a referendum on independence will accomplish

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

I mean they kind of said it themselves there, this is pissing in the wind. It just turns out that the media is gladly standing where they're aiming.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Oh, I thought the resolution was pissing in the wind.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

If the resolution is pissing in the wind (as they said it was just about airing their frustrations) I think it's fair to say they didn't think hard about independence referendums and that would be pissing in the wind as well.

Until an actual vote happens and it passes and fucks us over like the UK.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

I wouldn't worry too much, Alberta is not leaving confederation any time soon. This isn't a Brexit scenario, no matter how much they like to use that reference.

Caros
May 14, 2008

infernal machines posted:

I wouldn't worry too much, Alberta is not leaving confederation any time soon. This isn't a Brexit scenario, no matter how much they like to use that reference.

What are you going to do, stab me?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

I mean, if they think they're going to pass their own Clarity Act in the HoC, sure, but as it is that doesn't exist for Alberta.

AFAIK The feds have no obligation to negotiate sovereignty with Alberta just because they hold a successful referendum vote.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Nov 8, 2019

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Hexigrammus posted:

For some reason "Boatman's Whistle" enrages me more than the kid's pink camo t shirt. You'd think a museum might get a technical detail like "Boatswain" or "Bos'n" correct? BOATMAN??? :wtf:

I'm new at this. How do you get access to the regimental diaries? I've assumed you need to travel to Ottawa and spend some quality time in the National archives?

1) The boatman's whistle looks nothing like a bos'n's call, which is so goddamned dumb given that those are still being manufactured.

2) No travel necessary-- everything can be accessed from the comfort of your own home!

The personnel records of the CEF were digitized early in this century. They can be accessed here: https://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discover/military-heritage/first-world-war/personnel-records/Pages/personnel-records.aspx

The war diaries are a slightly more convoluted search, but can be accessed here: https://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discover/military-heritage/first-world-war/Pages/war-diaries.aspx

In the case of service records, the more information you have on a specific person you are looking for, the easier it is to find them. Also, do not be afraid to try alternate spellings of names-- you'd be shocked how often people's names are misspelled.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

I mean, if they think they're going to pass their own Clarity Act in the HoC, sure, but as it is that doesn't exist for Alberta.

AFAIK The feds have no obligation to negotiate sovereignty with Alberta just because they hold a successful referendum vote.

As far as I know the current Clarity Act applies to any province that might want to leave, not just Quebec.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

As far as I know the current Clarity Act applies to any province that might want to leave, not just Quebec.

My mistake then, I've only ever seen it referenced in terms of Quebec sovereignty, I thought it was more specifically written.

In that case, good luck to our Albertan brethren. May the fair winds of freedom fill your sails.

...oh, right, no ports.

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Guillotines?!? We don't need no stinking guillotines!

Booourns posted:

That's weird, this newly registered account is speaking like they're always been here

If I can make a recommendation to anyone thinking to toxx for the NDP. Ensure you didn't misspelled your email when you last updated it.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Fearless posted:

2) No travel necessary-- everything can be accessed from the comfort of your own home!

The personnel records of the CEF were digitized early in this century. They can be accessed here: https://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discover/military-heritage/first-world-war/personnel-records/Pages/personnel-records.aspx

The war diaries are a slightly more convoluted search, but can be accessed here: https://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discover/military-heritage/first-world-war/Pages/war-diaries.aspx

In the case of service records, the more information you have on a specific person you are looking for, the easier it is to find them. Also, do not be afraid to try alternate spellings of names-- you'd be shocked how often people's names are misspelled.

Thanks! I haven't had a problem with the service records but I got thrown off when I tried to search for specific regimental stuff. I was a little worried their search function had been programmed by whomever is responsible for Phoenix.

I had one WWI ancestor who changes ranks several times as well as acting positions. His pay records show numerous strike-outs and corrections getting his wife at home in Victoria her proper spousal allowance. If the Phoenix standard had existed back then she and her daughter would have starved to death.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

https://mobile.twitter.com/globeandmail/status/1192616109167398913

I'll see your moment of gamer silence and raise you a whatever the solemn gently caress this is

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Hexigrammus posted:

Thanks! I haven't had a problem with the service records but I got thrown off when I tried to search for specific regimental stuff. I was a little worried their search function had been programmed by whomever is responsible for Phoenix.

I had one WWI ancestor who changes ranks several times as well as acting positions. His pay records show numerous strike-outs and corrections getting his wife at home in Victoria her proper spousal allowance. If the Phoenix standard had existed back then she and her daughter would have starved to death.

One of my great grandfathers was declared dead for a couple of weeks (he was wounded at Vimy and was in aid station). That particular hiccup is in his records.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

What is this palEcon thing that Faith Goldie believes in?

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Another Bill posted:

I'll see your moment of gamer silence and raise you a whatever the solemn gently caress this is

Cheering for that time when Commonwealth soldiers put explosives under a trench at Ypres and killed 10,000 Germans at once. Hooray.

They should do the next one about that time a cpl lost two legs and an arm in Afghanistan and then the government fought with him to try and kick him off his disability pension back home.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Fun headline for the day: Young, low-income women less likely to use effective birth control: UBC study Sure, whatever, seems uncontroversial, let's see what sort of welfare queen talk is inside / in comments.

quote:

Canada is one of the only countries that has universal healthcare, but doesn't have universal access to contraception for women. The United Kingdom, New Zealand and Australia all have universal contraceptive care.
Interesting, and any elaboration here on what that means would have been appreciated ... but no.

Some Australian site says "For example, while residents of the UK receive the contraceptive pill for free on the NHS, those in Australia have to pay between $35 and $290 for a year’s supply", so universal apparently still permits a rather sliding scale of means-testing (on whom?).

quote:

Researchers found that household income below $80,000 per year was linked to decreased use of oral contraceptives and dual methods. Instead, reliance on injectable contraceptives and condoms only was increased, as was the risk of not using contraceptives at all.
Don't worry, the middle class are immune! (The quoted number is household income for 15–24 year olds, so we're really talking about parents.)

Coincidentally, since we love talking about tax cuts for the middle class, I found this while googling - not enough income stats exclude all those pesky lingering old people:
"Excluding senior families, median market income (which includes employment income, private pensions, and investment income) rose by 2.7% in 2017 to $92,400, primarily due to a strong job market, StatsCan says. At the same time, the implementation of the new Canada Child Benefit (CCB) in 2017 boosted median after-tax income for families by $1,500, it notes."

quote:

Condoms are about $1 each, but they are only 85 per cent effective in real-life conditions, which means 15 out of 100 people who only use condoms will get pregnant annually.
Everything I can find online that uses a condom failure rate like this (typically 18%) appears to be based on a single US household survey from 1995 after which pregnancy was old hat and never reexamined. Seems questionable given the state of sex-ed in the US... All later research seems focused on the spread of STDs and some even put complaints into their titles about how these "real world" rates that assume routine non-use discourage the overall use of something that works so well at preventing both pregnancies and the spread of STDs. Doubtless those studies were funded by condom manufacturers.

Overall, though, this position paper re: Universal access to no-cost contraception for youth in Canada [May 2019], from the Canadian Paediatric Society, looks to be the best discussion of the current situation in Canada. It touches on the existing partial coverage for people on welfare, somewhat underplays how broad the NIHB coverage is... Interesting to me how hard they're pushing IUDs for young people because there is (used to be?) massive resistance from most doctors to giving them to women who haven't already had children based on my and others' past anecdotal experience.

<-- avatar/post combo

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Another Bill posted:

Hell yes.

e:

quote:

Remembrance Island, a custom Fortnite island launched by the veterans’ organization, features First World War trenches, D-Day beaches and the Vimy Ridge cenotaph. Unlike Fortnite, there is no violence on this island.

Instead, players start at the beaches of Normandy and follow a trail of poppies through environments depicting conflicts Canadians have fought in, stopping at trail markers that offer information about each one until finally arriving at the Vimy Ridge Memorial, where they are asked by the Legion to share a moment of silence of their own on Nov. 11 at 11 at night — a time meant to meet gamers on their terms.

To be fair, "fortnight but not violence" isn't the least subversive thing they could do.

Hand Knit fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Nov 8, 2019

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Tapez le F pour respecter les anciens combatants

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Booourns posted:

Permaban re-regs are a CanPol tradition dating back many years.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

they are all CI

they have always been CI

they will always be CI

you will know him by his trigger. Jenny Kwan.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

James Baud posted:

Everything I can find online that uses a condom failure rate like this (typically 18%) appears to be based on a single US household survey from 1995 after which pregnancy was old hat and never reexamined. Seems questionable given the state of sex-ed in the US... All later research seems focused on the spread of STDs and some even put complaints into their titles about how these "real world" rates that assume routine non-use discourage the overall use of something that works so well at preventing both pregnancies and the spread of STDs. Doubtless those studies were funded by condom manufacturers.

I'm curious what your point is here. Are you implying that condom are actually a lot more effective? Or a lot worse?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Helsing posted:

Don't you think it kind of matters that the closest thing to actual evidence they cite is described by its own authors as inconclusive?

Though given who H&K Strategies are I wouldn't really take their analysis seriously either way. They're literally the originators of the lie about the Iraqi government taking Kuwaiti babies out of their incubators, so its really loving funny that they're cited here regarding the danger of foreign propaganda. Of course for some reason lying to justify American military action never seems to be a major concern when journalists start freaking out about disinformation.
It's not "inconclusive", it's just literally the wrong type of evidence for "how many votes did this swing". You might as well say the report is inconclusive about whether the moon landing was a hoax. The report seeks to describe the scope and reach of the disinfo operation, but we have no idea how much this kind of stuff translates at the ballot box. The report claims their reach was ~250 million interactions (likes+comments, and who knows how many views), and that's not nothing, but it's also just a tiny portion of all politics-related engagement on social. I don't think there's any good evidence on how this kind of stuff does or doesn't move behaviour, especially given the pretty diffuse channel here. The activity was mostly non-directly election related and aimed at stoking tensions and diffusing radical messages on both the right and left, and to the extent that the Russian operation cares about Canada it'd be malpractice for them to not be amplifying wexit.

I'm also annoyed by the contingent that treat Russia like it's magic to the extent that it's used as a shortcut to dismiss real phenomena as being the result of something foreign to the body politic, but, idk, I think it's also probably the only instance of "be skeptical about your information diet" that's broken through in the mainstream wrt to social media posts. I think "yes, Russia is doing this, and also be skeptical because a whole lot of other actors are" is a more promising jumping off point than "if Russia is doing this, so what."

Given your general attitude towards empiricism and identification in the social sciences, I would think that you appreciate the fact that the writers here are careful to not make unjustified causal claims, instead of using the fact that they're careful about what causal claims they can or can't make to dismiss the descriptive work they do.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I wonder what they think a referendum on independence will accomplish

I think the line of thinking goes 'Quebec threatened to leave Canada and now they get a lot of special treatment. We should threaten to leave and then we'll get special treatment!'

Of course it's not true at all, but it's a very easy way to win over low information voters who have internalized the Alberta victim complex.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Being a bunch of self centred greedy jerks does not a distinct society make.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
I want to watch them mint their own currency. Alberta oil scrip is going to be hilarious better than the gold standard! in a world that's decarbonizing.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

What if our currency had, like, negative value?

Another Bill posted:

Being a bunch of self centred greedy jerks does not a distinct society make.

Yeah, you also need to speak French.

I kid, I kid

PittTheElder posted:

I think the line of thinking goes 'Quebec threatened to leave Canada and now they get a lot of special treatment. We should threaten to leave and then we'll get special treatment!'

Of course it's not true at all, but it's a very easy way to win over low information voters who have internalized the Alberta victim complex.

I had mistakenly thought the Clarity Act was rather narrowly written for Quebec, but it seems that no matter what the feds have significant leeway over deciding what constitutes a valid referendum and a clear majority, to the extent that it's probably very difficult to satisfy if they don't want to entertain separation.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Nov 8, 2019

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

From the Wiki article for the Clarity Act

quote:

- Giving the House of Commons the power to decide whether a proposed referendum question was considered clear before the public vote;
- Specifically stating that any question not solely referring to secession was to be considered unclear;
- Giving the House of Commons the power to determine whether or not a clear majority had expressed itself following any referendum vote, implying that some sort of supermajority is required for success;[13]
- Stating that all provinces and the First Nations were to be part of the negotiations;
- Allowing the House of Commons to override a referendum decision if it felt the referendum violated any of the tenets of the Clarity Act;
- The secession of a province of Canada would require an amendment to the Constitution of Canada.

Any province can initiate a referendum but it's up the federal government to decide if it was fair and if 50+1 is enough for if the province needs 67% or whatever. It actually does prevent a lot of the poo poo that went on with Brexit so Parliament has some foresight in this one.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

James Baud posted:

Fun headline for the day: Young, low-income women less likely to use effective birth control: UBC study Sure, whatever, seems uncontroversial, let's see what sort of welfare queen talk is inside / in comments.

Interesting, and any elaboration here on what that means would have been appreciated ... but no.

Some Australian site says "For example, while residents of the UK receive the contraceptive pill for free on the NHS, those in Australia have to pay between $35 and $290 for a year’s supply", so universal apparently still permits a rather sliding scale of means-testing (on whom?).

Don't worry, the middle class are immune! (The quoted number is household income for 15–24 year olds, so we're really talking about parents.)

Coincidentally, since we love talking about tax cuts for the middle class, I found this while googling - not enough income stats exclude all those pesky lingering old people:
"Excluding senior families, median market income (which includes employment income, private pensions, and investment income) rose by 2.7% in 2017 to $92,400, primarily due to a strong job market, StatsCan says. At the same time, the implementation of the new Canada Child Benefit (CCB) in 2017 boosted median after-tax income for families by $1,500, it notes."

Overall, though, this position paper re: Universal access to no-cost contraception for youth in Canada [May 2019], from the Canadian Paediatric Society, looks to be the best discussion of the current situation in Canada. It touches on the existing partial coverage for people on welfare, somewhat underplays how broad the NIHB coverage is... Interesting to me how hard they're pushing IUDs for young people because there is (used to be?) massive resistance from most doctors to giving them to women who haven't already had children based on my and others' past anecdotal experience.

<-- avatar/post combo

I'm not 100% sure of the point you are trying to make, but I think I agree with you for once. BC pills shouldn't be pushed on people and neither should IUDs, which come with their own set of issues. But the BC pill for a lot of women isn't just for preventing pregnant and has a lot of practical health-related applications and should probably be the first step in a universal pharmacare program.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

I had mistakenly thought the Clarity Act was rather narrowly written for Quebec, but it seems that no matter what the feds have significant leeway over deciding what constitutes a valid referendum and a clear majority, to the extent that it's probably very difficult to satisfy if they don't want to entertain separation.

You might be thinking of Reference re Secession of Québec. That was narrowly decided only re: Québec and only re: secession, though it's sometimes invoked for other purposes - Kenney invoked it when claiming that if Alberta passed an anti-equalisation referendum, the country would have an obligation to negotiate in good faith.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Pinterest Mom posted:

You might be thinking of Reference re Secession of Québec. That was narrowly decided only re: Québec and only re: secession, though it's sometimes invoked for other purposes - Kenney invoked it when claiming that if Alberta passed an anti-equalisation referendum, the country would have an obligation to negotiate in good faith.

That is significantly more like what I was thinking of, I had mistakenly conflated it with the Clarity Act in my head.

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I'd say it was your manifest destiny not to.

James Baud posted:

<-- avatar/post combo
Yeah I remember they used to not be recommended unless you've had kids, but now I know several childless women who have IUDs these days. Insertion/removal has ranged from fine to wildly unpleasant for them, but the effectiveness over a long period of time is pretty impressive, and it's hard to screw up if it's inserted correctly. Maybe they're trying to push for more subsidies since it's pretty expensive up front compared to a lot of other methods.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Pinterest Mom posted:

... Kenney invoked it when claiming that if Alberta passed an anti-equalisation referendum, the country would have an obligation to negotiate in good faith.

He knows better than that. When has the federal government ever lived up to their obligation to negotiate in good faith? Doesn't matter which team is running the show. They have done whatever they wanted, regardless of obligations.
For reference: Any time an obligation existed to consult/negotiate with first nations, and public servant collective bargaining. My contract just came out of binding arbitration earlier this year. The moment the agreement was signed, it was already expired for a year. Team blue and team red both held power during the period where the contract was supposed to be negotiated. Both failed (either through malice, incompetence, or both) to negotiate at all, never mind in good faith.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

quote:

Poppies are Red! Why does everything have to be about race or sexual orientation or whatever. As a military spouse this frustrates me a bit... sorry but it does!

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
I've been meaning to make an etsy store that sells rainbow truck nuts tbh.

Drakkus
May 14, 2002

yum~

CRISPYBABY posted:

I've been meaning to make an etsy store that sells rainbow truck nuts tbh.

Rainbow / Pink truck nuts with a [She / Her] pronoun tag hanging underneath them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Lmao Cyara Bird had to protect her tweets because she got caught lying too many times in the past 24 hours