Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

What the gently caress is an isekai

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

It's like Tron or Pleasantville.

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

Shipon posted:

the ballin out super dudes should absolutely do an episode about this, definitely feels like you could work a critique about how alienating everything is into an episode talking about how we have an endless deluge of isekai garbage each season

https://twitter.com/bad_takes/status/1149057093657399298?s=20

the guy who did this does a twitch stream and gorka's call screener called into his twitch stream and made a complete rear end of himself for like 20 minutes, it was pretty fantastic

That video is loving spectacular thanks

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Real-world person goes to fantasy land. It's been especially popular lately for losers going into video game worlds for the saddest power fantasies you can imagine.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Bernie's first act as President needs to be to ban all anime

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

FlamingLiberal posted:

ya

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

Serf posted:

given that lee carter is doing rallies with bernie sanders and felix is melting his brain with fortnite and mousegard i think lee came out on top

Laughing my whole rear end off at the idea of bernie and lee talking about online.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

EndOfTheWorld posted:

Since every Isekai I've seen is set in some kind of lame-rear end video game world, I think "What if all that time I spent playing video games actually meant something" is a big part of the fantasy too.

The one where a princess summons a pro-wrestler to kill all the monsters in her kingdom, but instead he suplexes her and sets up a monster game preserve, is pretty cool.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Isekai have apparently been going hard in on being disappointed but accepting of slavery, so that the loser protagonist can own a slave girl.

Some big shot anime reviewers doing the preview of the upcoming season praised Vinland Saga for taking an anti-slavery stance, and noted how hosed it is that that counts as a pro now.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

FlamingLiberal posted:

this is cowardice, one must instead seize anime back from the right wing

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
Anime crackers in my soup
Luffies and chobits loop de loop

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Dr. Killjoy posted:

Anime crackers in my soup
Luffies and chobits loop de loop

Shirley Temple, America’s Chibi

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Virgil is now declared "best Chapo", by declaring his membership in Early Morning Crew. :salute:

Also, "tribal bog society" :newlol:

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

prefect posted:

Virgil is now declared "best Chapo", by declaring his membership in Early Morning Crew. :salute:

Also, "tribal bog society" :newlol:

smdh virgil knows about primogeniture but not tanistry

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Cybertron must act decisively to prevent and oppose acts of genocide and violations of international robot rights law and to bring perpetrators before the Decepticon Justice Division
Pillbug

420 Gank Mid posted:

smdh virgil knows about primogeniture but not tanistry

I usually go with brujah or gangrel

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
https://twitter.com/motelabyss/status/1192491347447558145
:black101:

I didn't know British people pronounced it "Burr War". Huh.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I can remember when it was possible to like a TV show, or even an anime, without finding out that it has an enormous fanbase of pedophiles with psychotic delusions.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

As that's no longer possible it would seem the best way to engage with media is to view it on its own merits, and not by whether or not it has a fanbase of psychotic paedophiles online.

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

big boi posted:

That video is loving spectacular thanks

If you want lots more like it, check out the Not Even A Show! Chris James does fantastic work, he and his fellow pranksters have been sending conservative radio host JJ McCartney into a mental breakdown by calling into his show and saying the word "shirt" for... probably more than a year now.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Nikaer Drekin posted:

If you want lots more like it, check out the Not Even A Show! Chris James does fantastic work, he and his fellow pranksters have been sending conservative radio host JJ McCartney into a mental breakdown by calling into his show and saying the word "shirt" for... probably more than a year now.

Chris James also shows up on the Go Off Kings a fair amount, along with the Your Kickstarter Sucks and Toilet Penis podcasts. He's a cool dude.

multijoe posted:

As that's no longer possible it would seem the best way to engage with media is to view it on its own merits, and not by whether or not it has a fanbase of psychotic paedophiles online.

I tell myself this when I watch Rick and Morty.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

FlamingLiberal posted:

Except one piece

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I remember when I first found out about that anime genre because of that anime about the slime in a fantasy world and it seemed ridiculously unnecessary to have it be a guy murdered in the modern day transported to fantasy world to be a slime. Why not just have the show be about a slime?

THS
Sep 15, 2017

rick and morty is very good

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The best Isekais are the ones about modern day Japanese restaurants that have a door that opens into a fantasy world

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Groovelord Neato posted:

I remember when I first found out about that anime genre because of that anime about the slime in a fantasy world and it seemed ridiculously unnecessary to have it be a guy murdered in the modern day transported to fantasy world to be a slime. Why not just have the show be about a slime?

Because how can I pretend that I'm the cool powerful slime man if he wasn't originally a human being from japan?

But yeah it's honestly troubling how so many of these authors can't seem to imagine a way to improve or escape their current lives outside of dying.

sirtommygunn fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Nov 8, 2019

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
What's the one that's like 'Do you love your multi-hit mom?' Or something like that because I laugh whenever I remember what the real title is. I've never watched it.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Fsmhunk posted:

What's the one that's like 'Do you love your multi-hit mom?' Or something like that because I laugh whenever I remember what the real title is. I've never watched it.

Do You Love Your Mom and Her Two-Hit Multi-Target Attacks

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

It was very weird learning that Star Trek of all things has a massive pedophile problem within the fanbase.

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Gripweed posted:

Do You Love Your Mom and Her Two-Hit Multi-Target Attacks

Lmao amazing.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Jonas Albrecht posted:

It was very weird learning that Star Trek of all things has a massive pedophile problem within the fanbase.

lmao so surpised the show about taking civilization-wide moral relativism and nonintervention to its logical conclusion appeals to the guys that say "well actually it was normal five hundred years ago"

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

spacemang_spliff posted:

Bain Capital is the vulture firm that Romeny worked for

They buy up struggling companies, load them up with debt, take the profits and let them go bankrupt while the employees get to get hosed
So to actually discuss the pod, I was fascinated with the Deadspin interview. Felix is right; if we survive the mess we're in, we'll look back and wonder why we allowed these schemes that just suck up profit while producing nothing and leaving wrecked companies and huge job losses in their wake. I was aware of big media companies buying up local outlets, but I hadn't heard of the scam where you buy a paper, slash costs and quality to the bone, and collect advertising revenue until your customers get wise to it.

Coincidentally, we had a local journalist come to our DSA meeting to talk about unionizing their workplace. I think they're in an okay place since the parent company doesn't seem to be interested in just asset-stripping the paper and then moving on. But I suppose that could happen if they have to deal with a unionized workplace. It appears the only thing these big companies bring to the table is increased leverage over workers, since the workers don't have options when other outlets are being bought up just so they can be shuttered.

Groovelord Neato posted:

So a lady can step in him, I guess?

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Nov 8, 2019

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Chris had his best joke ever this episode.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Virgil yelling “we are the one’s being interviewed here” got me howling.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

My favorite gonzo entry in the isekai trend is the Shield Hero show, because it's almost indescribably redpilled (in the actual psycho bad reddit sense and not ironic funny good sense)

The dude is a sad otaku summoned alongside like boy band members or something, and they each get a magical weapon of destiny like a sword, spear, bow, etc. He gets a shield, and apparently the whole world they're in thinks the Shield Hero is the lamest in all the legends, and the boy band guys all look down on him and he's basically a whiny shithead.

When they get their mission from the king and a sum of money to get equipment, a princess befriends him when no one else will, but it's only to spend all his money and then falsely accuse him of raping her so she can spend the money with her Chad boyfriend. Everyone believes her and iT rUiNs HiS rEpUtAtIoN so he has to go off on his own and become an adventurer merchant and is extremely libertarian pro-capitalism about it. He buys a loli slave girl who is magically compelled to obey him, levels her up, which turns her into a curvy adult lady with a child brain who is in love with him, and then freaks out about how she's going to abandon him like everyone else because her compulsory slavery sigil broke, so she goes back to the slaver and gets it put back on to assuage his fears.

Also it turns out that the shield is the strongest of all because it's powered by rage and this dude basically has school shooter mindset

This show has psychology absolutely squirting out of every hole. It's like a sentient incel subreddit. Felix would poo poo himself trying to keep straight all the takes that would fly into his brain.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

SlimGoodbody posted:

and then freaks out about how she's going to abandon him like everyone else because her compulsory slavery sigil broke, so she goes back to the slaver and gets it put back on to assuage his fears.

Oh my god.

Anime is bad.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

SlimGoodbody posted:

My favorite gonzo entry in the isekai trend is the Shield Hero show, because it's almost indescribably redpilled (in the actual psycho bad reddit sense and not ironic funny good sense)

The dude is a sad otaku summoned alongside like boy band members or something, and they each get a magical weapon of destiny like a sword, spear, bow, etc. He gets a shield, and apparently the whole world they're in thinks the Shield Hero is the lamest in all the legends, and the boy band guys all look down on him and he's basically a whiny shithead.

When they get their mission from the king and a sum of money to get equipment, a princess befriends him when no one else will, but it's only to spend all his money and then falsely accuse him of raping her so she can spend the money with her Chad boyfriend. Everyone believes her and iT rUiNs HiS rEpUtAtIoN so he has to go off on his own and become an adventurer merchant and is extremely libertarian pro-capitalism about it. He buys a loli slave girl who is magically compelled to obey him, levels her up, which turns her into a curvy adult lady with a child brain who is in love with him, and then freaks out about how she's going to abandon him like everyone else because her compulsory slavery sigil broke, so she goes back to the slaver and gets it put back on to assuage his fears.

Also it turns out that the shield is the strongest of all because it's powered by rage and this dude basically has school shooter mindset

This show has psychology absolutely squirting out of every hole. It's like a sentient incel subreddit. Felix would poo poo himself trying to keep straight all the takes that would fly into his brain.

chapo watch shield hero

and suffer

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Halloween Jack posted:

So to actually discuss the pod, I was fascinated with the Deadspin interview. Felix is right; if we survive the mess we're in, we'll look back and wonder why we allowed these schemes that just suck up profit while producing nothing and leaving wrecked companies and huge job losses in their wake. I was aware of big media companies buying up local outlets, but I hadn't heard of the scam where you buy a paper, slash costs and quality to the bone, and collect advertising revenue until your customers get wise to it.

I imagine a lot of it is just the same problem of the lovely corporate media that most people interact with isn't talking about it. Off the top of my head, how many people just shook their heads and said that Toys 'R Us was just doomed to fail because they were old and couldn't compete with Amazon. How many people are going to bother to dig into deeper business articles to find out all the weird private equity vulture bullshit that actually sank a probably salvageable company (even if they did have other issues)?

I don't really have an answer for it either. People don't have time, energy or desire now to track down news to see all the ways that they're getting hosed. Assuming we survive it, it'll be wild looking back.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I'll never quite wrap my head around companies being able to buy another company using debt then load that debt onto the other company and suck it dry with interest payments.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

https://twitter.com/Ange_Amene/status/1192869337100455936?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

SlimGoodbody posted:

Okay but that's just, like, 70% Sword of Truth.