Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

They fired you for using your cloud storage? Were you storing personal data?

Also, I'm having a hard time figuring out how you could configure storage to make other, previously stored data not available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

:thejoke:

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Having kinda a rough day here. I stored a bunch of videos and software on our company cloud storage so that I could have a backup, and they configured it in such a way that my upload affected other files and made them unavailable. Then the administrator got pissy because I wanted my files back, and management took his side and let me go. Ridiculous way to start the weekend.

Fuuuuuuuuuuck, dude, that's some bullshit.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Oops. Suppose I'll stop this before it gets out of hand, I think the page break kinda hid the joke, but I was doing my old "I'm the guy in the post" bit that I've done a few times. Just hadn't posted in the thread in a while and wanted to make an entrance.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Wtf poo poo outfit is it so I can avoid it

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Having kinda a rough day here. I stored a bunch of videos and software on our company cloud storage so that I could have a backup, and they configured it in such a way that my upload affected other files and made them unavailable. Then the administrator got pissy because I wanted my files back, and management took his side and let me go. Ridiculous way to start the weekend.

Well that's just drat unreasonable. Sounds like a good time to lawyer up.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

He's joking you nerdlords

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I thought I was, but the way this is going, I'm not sure anymore :eep:

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

A few years back I unintentionally got a local tech fired since he allowed a "Hello this is Microsoft calling" access to a machine and gave them admin credentials. He didn't take it off network/wipe/do standard procedures so I told security there was a compromised box and things rolled from there.

Wish I didn't like the dude but he was incompetent. No satisfaction like Antioch.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

taqueso posted:

Why did they choose gmail, this is cruel and unusual.

ChubbyThePhat posted:

My work also blocks gmail. It is cruel and unusual.

Judging from the last couple of pages, certainly cruel but not so unusual

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Antioch posted:

In a rare moment of cosmic justice, buddy that decided to sync all his dumb bullshit has been walked out. Praise Satan.

Amazing.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

klosterdev posted:

YouTube is the only out of those options where no executable data could actually be downloaded. Probably one of those jobs where you can cruise as long as no security breaches or you're fired.

That was my thought as well.. From a security standpoint is the safest of any option. Luckily it was actually our preferred option to share footage as well. At least we can guarantee just about anyone we send a Youtube link to can play it!

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

rujasu posted:

Judging from the last couple of pages, certainly cruel but not so unusual

I work at a bank so I know why, but that doesn't mean it's not something to complain about!

CLAM DOWN posted:

Of course he's joking. I didn't think a single one of our responses was actually serious :shrug:

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Ugh, had to fire my best salesman because some dickhead threw a shitfit to cover up their own incompetence with cloud storage.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Of course he's joking. I didn't think a single one of our responses was actually serious :shrug:
Mine totally was. It's me, I'm the one who missed the joke.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

CLAM DOWN posted:

Troll detected

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Ugh, had to fire my best salesman because some dickhead threw a shitfit to cover up their own incompetence with cloud storage.
We're heading into the weekend and the topic is gonna change, but before it does i wanted to say this was very well played.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Irritated Goat posted:

Yeah, right now, my big problem is I'm working for a sub 300 person financial place and stuff like ADFS and SAML and MFA are things I can learn about but not use in practice in a way. I use SAML and MFA on a user level but it's not something I can easily put into practice in a lab. Right now, I'm watching videos on certificates and poking around on SAML and such but it's the real practice I need to get good.

I do wonder if a good "gateway" would be finding an Azure admin position?

As a former call center jockey, congratulations for getting out!

I'm doing identity management and manage single sign-on for apps at a fairly large scale (client facing, ~8 million client accounts) with OAuth2, SAML2.0, and OIDC. It's backed with a proprietary LDAP database, azure AD, and our on-prem AD. There's definitely a demand for people who know this stuff, and it's very interesting work. If you have any specific questions send me a PM, but understanding SSL, OAuth2 authentication flows, and dealing with SAML2.0 assertions will put you light years ahead of most people. (If you're near Detroit and have some engineering experience we're hiring)

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

The summary of announcements at ignite is over 80 pages

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Good lord. Sounds about right.

May 14, 2003

BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY FRUITCAKE!

Zero VGS posted:

I have my boss asking me if I can take over a mismanaged sales demo environment and save us some money doing it. It is currently hosted at some small-time colocation (costs like $18000/month).

One of the senior sales engineers was previously in charge and ran the environment in IBM Softlayer and it was more like $6000/month for the same specs, so he wants to go back to that:

I'm proposing we consider hosting it on-prem, because I can spare the rack space and our internet/power is all redundant; we have multiple UPS and multiple 500/500 fiber connections that are load balanced; for example our phones are VoIP and we haven't dropped any calls in 4 years (since both fiber connections have never gone down at the same time).

The catch is I'd have to over-purchase so we can handle times when salespeople are doing a lot of demos at once (i.e. 3 or 4 of these servers instead of 2). I'm not super gung-ho about self-hosting but it seems like the ROI might still be pretty good and I'd prefer having immediate access to the system. I'm trying to do some napkin math on what a 14nm quad-CPU server would run on eBay if I'm gonna buy some of those CPUs included and just drop in some SSD's and 1TB ram into each. I've set up servers here like that before but with much like 32nm generation of equipment.

If I'm looking for a quad-CPU 14nm-gen server, what should I be searching for that is common? Anyone know some model of HP Proliant or Dell PowerEdge that fits the bill?

This is a month late but maybe will help other folks. For my demo gear I typically get NFR pricing from the hardware manufacturers (Dell, HPE, Cisco, etc.) then from there I use what’s called MDF (marketing development funds) to actually pay for the gear. You can get this from the OEMs and from distribution and the amount you get is usually tied to the amount of stuff you sell for them. This basically gives me ~500k/year to spend on hardware to keep things current. Also some OEMs (like Dell EMC) will offer you free seed units for stuff they want to sell. Talk to your channel managers for each OEM you sell and they can help you get things sorted out. You’ll basically want to ask about MDF funds and if they have any seed programs.

Doing this I’ve got probably a dozen vxrail nodes, 16 UCS blades, 8 Juniper QFX switches; 4 Nexus 9ks; a Dell EMC Powermax, some 3par, and another dozen or so Dell VSAN ready nodes and I’ve spent maybe 24k tops of the company money. I refresh about 1/3rd of my capacity every year too.

Edit for clarity: NFR pricing can range from 75% off to 80% off depending on the OEM.

1000101 fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Nov 9, 2019

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
So which one of you glorious dude(ette)s broke SfB at Microsoft today?

Given that the messaging from MSFT is "users are unable to sign in from an external network" I am giving good odds that it is DNS. :v:

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

SfB does not need external assistance to randomly break, OP

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Another IT industry thing I never really could grasp, how and why so many companies need SR level IT folks for short term contracts. Budgeting reasons aside, it seems that needing someone at that level to implement it would also mean you need someone of that level to maintain it.

You end up with someone who's only interest is prolonging the project who is also not invested in the projects success. You also invest a ton of time finding the rare person who has the skills you need but also wants to agree to a short term contract. I have zero interest as an IT leader to bring someone like that in my environment. So bizarre.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Sickening posted:

Another IT industry thing I never really could grasp, how and why so many companies need SR level IT folks for short term contracts. Budgeting reasons aside, it seems that needing someone at that level to implement it would also mean you need someone of that level to maintain it.

You end up with someone who's only interest is prolonging the project who is also not invested in the projects success. You also invest a ton of time finding the rare person who has the skills you need but also wants to agree to a short term contract. I have zero interest as an IT leader to bring someone like that in my environment. So bizarre.

They're only looking at it from the pragmatic business side.
"We need this thing but nobody here knows how to deploy it. We should buy somebody to set it up and teach us how to use it, and then we can both move on amicably!"

They don't see it from the other side where the message is very much "do this for boat money and then look for another job please"

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Sickening posted:

Not sure if you're talking about consulting gigs in general or to specific scenarios. What I've seen usually is that companies who take on a lot of external employees is because they need to get stuff done quickly and don't have (enough) qualified and/or motivated people. How you get into a situation like that as a company is something worth questioning but a different story. They hire contractors to get things done and as a side effect have a scape goat when it goes wrong.

Almost all of my contracting gigs started as short term and ended up being renewed multiple times because I got things moving more quickly than my internal coworkers. I agree you shouldn't invest in consultants much, you pay out of your rear end for them, so hire the ones that have the skills you need.

oh rly
Feb 22, 2006
oh rly ya rly no wai

LochNessMonster posted:

Not sure if you're talking about consulting gigs in general or to specific scenarios. What I've seen usually is that companies who take on a lot of external employees is because they need to get stuff done quickly and don't have (enough) qualified and/or motivated people. How you get into a situation like that as a company is something worth questioning but a different story. They hire contractors to get things done and as a side effect have a scape goat when it goes wrong.

Almost all of my contracting gigs started as short term and ended up being renewed multiple times because I got things moving more quickly than my internal coworkers. I agree you shouldn't invest in consultants much, you pay out of your rear end for them, so hire the ones that have the skills you need.

I have also seen this at my companies. We hired consultants to help us build a new Windows 10 image or setup our Azure environment for best practices. This has also backfired on us when hiring consultants to setup our NSX environment which caused a 2 day business outage followed by paying the same consultants to set up our network without NSX. In our experience, going down this road has left our IT Ops group with complicated setups that only the consultants understand. These decisions have always been based on using the external labor bucket within our budget to get these objectives accomplished due to the business not allowing us to hire the headcount internally.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

2nd week and the new job and my previous place started layoffs today. Tons of people on my leadership level and sr team members are being shown the door.

Happy holidays.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
Is it all the people who didnt take the survey?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Sepist posted:

Is it all the people who didnt take the survey?

Ha, no clue. There was a guy layed off who had been with rhbcompany 30 years. He was given two weeks severance.

C-levels are not human beings.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Sickening posted:

2nd week and the new job and my previous place started layoffs today. Tons of people on my leadership level and sr team members are being shown the door.

Happy holidays.

I’ve got a gut feeling I won’t make it until the end of the year. Budgets are being cut in places where it’ll start hurting the business sooner rather than later. Most of the consultants in my BU already heard their contract won’t be renewed after 2019.

Today I overheard a conversation from my manager about his budget and saying that cutting it even further will impact his project deliverables meaning downtime on critical business functions (and he’s right). One of my coworkers gave his notice and another ones contract didn’t get renewed so I think I might be ‘safe’ for now.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Sickening posted:

Ha, no clue. There was a guy layed off who had been with rhbcompany 30 years. He was given two weeks severance.

That's loving terrible. If I get laid off (not for cause) within the first year of this acquisition I get 1 years pay severance. New company will do 30 weeks after that. 2 weeks a year basically. That poo poo is just low. Layoffs 2 weeks before thanksgiving week with 2 weeks pay after 30 years. JFC

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

skipdogg posted:

That's loving terrible. If I get laid off (not for cause) within the first year of this acquisition I get 1 years pay severance. New company will do 30 weeks after that. 2 weeks a year basically. That poo poo is just low. Layoffs 2 weeks before thanksgiving week with 2 weeks pay after 30 years. JFC

Even the fictional evil character in succession gave employees a week for every year.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

So they likely did bring in that CIO to drive people off.

TheFace
Oct 4, 2004

Fuck anyone that doesn't wanna be this beautiful

Sickening posted:

I have nothing to really add other than this is loving horrible

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Internet Explorer posted:

So they likely did bring in that CIO to drive people off.

I know a CEO that gets hired to be a hatchet man. Outgoing CEO sees how things are and leaves with their bonus. Hatchet-CEO shows up and fires at least 50% of the workforce. Collects bonus at the end of six months of blood in the streets. New CEO comes in to “stop the bleeding” while hatchet-CEO moves on to their his target.

I don’t understand how a guy can live with himself after doing that a couple of times. I mean sure, the bonuses are probably great but at what cost being able to look in the mirror and see the lives of the hundreds of people whose lives you have upended?

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I guess you could rationalize it to yourself like "well the layoffs were going to happen no matter what. I might as well make bank off this lovely but inevitable situation". But yeah I feel like you'd have to be a sociopath to make that your career and do it repeatedly.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The answer is they sleep like a baby because they literally don't care.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I'd say money. 2 companies ago the CEO was fired, and another guy promoted to CEO. He was specifically told by the board to make the company as attractive as possible for an acquisition so everyone could just cash out.

He did that. Brutal layoffs, cost cutting, and everything else necessary to make the books look really good and get another company to buy us. He had escalators and accelerators in his bonus and options packages of course. Guy made about 40 Million gross off stock and bonuses when the deal closed. Don't get me wrong the guy totally had a FYGM attitude about everything, but I'm guessing with the appx 25 million net he cleared, he slept fine at night. The guy's a CEO of another company now and he's doing the same thing again. It's private equity owned right now though, so it'll either be another company buying them, or an IPO when the books look great, everyone cashes out again. He'll probably score 50 to 60 M off this one and retire to his giant Florida mansion. My old boss works there and actually offered me a job a year ago, told him I wasn't going on that trip again if I could avoid it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

That poo poo should be fraud. Firing everyone so the company looks profitable but is just a shell that is going to collapse on itself in a year should be considered insider trading.