Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Just trying to freak everyone out.

:getin:

The scout makes a good moving vehicle, btw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Welcome to the exclusive brotherhood of Guys Who Towed Their Binders to Their New Houses Because They Couldn't Get Them Running.

You can get a 5% discount at Rockauto just like everyone else.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Panty Saluter posted:

e: oh i thought you sold it. carry on

:same: but wondered why there was furniture included in the sale.

I almost had to resort to this for a 300 mile move. Turns out when reinstalling the engine and everything I put the wrong plug wire to the wrong cylinder and it only kinda ran on 2 cylinders. :doh:

Looks good in the new garage. :haw:

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Yeah I improperly fitted my engine ground strap after moving the alternator and replacing the cooling and belts. Then on my test drive and burnt out the starter solenoid (I think). Didn't have enough time to get a new one before the move.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Replaced the entire intake manifold because Ford are penny-pinching assholes.

Plastic in the cooling system (heater outlet nipple) + "lifetime" coolant + 14 years =

Fuckwits.

And back again:

$300 because some bean counter decided they didn't need to use aluminum back there.
It was pretty easy, at least. I used an OEM replacement manifold, because I was unimpressed by the compromises in the aftermarket manifolds trying to cover all the years of the 4.6 Performance Improved, including the Dorman that uses a completely different runner design that appears to be a copy of their non-Performance Improved manifold, modified to fit the different heads. Spent $100 more, but have no qualms, other than the stupid nipple will break off again in another 14 years, most likely.
Car runs and drives great, and no leaks that I can find so far.

EDIT:

STR posted:

Yeah NOW I realize I could have pulled the shifter trim out, then reached back to pop out the switch trim. Oh well.

I'm here for all your "20/20 hindsight/pointing out easily avoided mistakes" needs.
Lord knows I can't seem to avoid it for myself.

quote:

And I finally looked at the hitch, it's a U-Haul special. Probably Class 2/1" like you said. I need to figure out where the wiring is, if any, and make sure it's not horrifically hosed (... it's a U-haul special, so I expect the worst). I don't have issues with popping fuses, but 3 out of 4 brake light bulbs were shattered when I got the car. One was obvious (housing full of water).

e: won't need any extra lights to throw a bike rack on it, I just want to make sure the wiring isn't blown fuses waiting to happen.

Wiring should plug into a connector in the spare tire well and exit through a grommet in rear of same. You *have* looked in your spare tire well/storage area under the load floor, right? Could be all kinds of neat things hiding out back there!

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Oct 29, 2019

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Powershift posted:

Time isn't always on your side, which is why you can't waste your life driving boring vehicles.

It's a shame the general populace doesn't believe this.

Related: Did the brake fluid in the new-to-me Equinox and got to play with my power bleeder. Bled clear at the calipers, but the reservoir had nice, black fluid.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Minto Took posted:

It's a shame the general populace doesn't believe this.

Related: Did the brake fluid in the new-to-me Equinox and got to play with my power bleeder. Bled clear at the calipers, but the reservoir had nice, black fluid.

Pro tip: use a turkey baster to suck out fluid from the reservoir first, clean it, then add new fluid and bleed. Assuming you can even get a rag in there since most of them have baffles now.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Darchangel posted:

Wiring should plug into a connector in the spare tire well and exit through a grommet in rear of same. You *have* looked in your spare tire well/storage area under the load floor, right? Could be all kinds of neat things hiding out back there!

I took a quick glance in there to verify there was a spare tire. Not only is there one in there, it was reasonably inflated and doesn't look rotten. Only other thing was a couple of empty packages of 1157 bulbs.

And didn't see any wiring hanging under the car, so I'm assuming the connector is properly stowed.

Mustache Ride posted:

Tried to get it fixed as drivable before moving house. Didn't make it in time. Had to shamefully tow it to the new house.

What part of town did you wind up in? I'm farrrrr NW, but likely moving within 6 months.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Suburban Dad posted:

Pro tip: use a turkey baster to suck out fluid from the reservoir first, clean it, then add new fluid and bleed. Assuming you can even get a rag in there since most of them have baffles now.

Yeah, I know the turkey baster technique. I've got one in the garage reserved for such duty. I really should complete a full flush since whoever did it before did a halfass job.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

What bleeder did you get?

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Colostomy Bag posted:

What bleeder did you get?

https://smile.amazon.com/Motive-Products-System-Bleeder-Trucks/dp/B000TK9FE8/

This thing is ace.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Yeah, once you use a nice bleeder you wonder "why did I do it the old way the crappy handpump with the stupid cup.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

I’ve been telling myself I’m going to get one of those for, like, two decades now.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Darchangel posted:

I’ve been telling myself I’m going to get one of those for, like, two decades now.

Same. I have a Home Depot Racing garden sprayer converted that leaks pressure like a sieve instead.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

I've used it on three vehicles so far and I'll never do anything else. I think it would have taken me a long time to figure out I had a fully gunked clogged hose without it, since it took a while with it. I just keep cracking fittings until I got back to one that fluid came out of. Couldn't have done it the same with vacuum and I don't have a full time helper to push the pedal.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

STR posted:

What part of town did you wind up in? I'm farrrrr NW, but likely moving within 6 months.

I'm in Convict Hill, SW side. I refuse to live in North Austin.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I'd prefer south, personally. Don't really make enough to live anywhere but suburbs or the hood right now, though.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

used it to haul a toolbox.

got a hilarious glare from some old dude while i was loading it.

I rushed every part of it but the paint seems pretty forgiving, minus some runs. One can did 2 thick coats on 4 20" wheels, and 1 coat on each of these bits. I'll probably have to redo it in the spring, but i think the whole truck is going this color anyways.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Oct 31, 2019

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Powershift posted:

used it to haul a toolbox.

got a hilarious glare from some old dude while i was loading it.

I rushed every part of it but the paint seems pretty forgiving, minus some runs. One can did 2 thick coats on 4 20" wheels, and 1 coat on each of these bits. I'll probably have to redo it in the spring, but i think the whole truck is going this color anyways.

I'm going to need the honeycomb in that grille to be black for a little contrast, but I'm on board with this.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Tried to tackle the oil leak on my XRS. I think it's the timing chain tensioner gasket. To r&r, you have to remove the serp belt and loosen its tensioner as well for clearance.

I found that the aluminum boss helpfully provided on the serpentine tensioner has been nicely rounded off by a PO. I could probably get the belt off, but I'm not real confident about getting it back on again. A new tensioner is specific to the 2zzge and is about $150 online. Installing it requires unbolting the engine and jacking it up for enough clearance to get the bolts out.

All of this and I'm not 100% that the timing belt tensioner is the oil leak. If it's the timing chain cover, that's drat near an engine-out job.

Tl;Dr - I accomplished nothing but finding more issues, and now my back hurts.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Went to go finally fix my clogged IAC and winterize my Capri, put on the hard top, change the oil/coolant, etc
When I drained the radiator, only half the coolant I put into the car last year came out, and so full of rust and poo poo that I was convinced it was oil until it settled at the bottom. My IAC was squeaky clean and the TB only needed a quick scrub, so that was a red flag
Changing my spark plugs, the plug out of cylinder 1 was so fouled with sweet smelling oil that there was no gap, it was just a glob of oil on the end of a spark plug. I shined my UV lamp in the combustion chamber and sure enough, it glows like crazy from the UV dye I put in my oil. The other plugs were also slighty fouled and had flecks of glowing dye, but were at least dry. Compression in all cylinders is ~15% under spec, but within normal range. Cylinder 1 is 30% under, and well out of the normal range

I stopped there for today because I'm not ready for metal shavings or whatever horrible surprise hides in my oil

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
I threw (2) ratchets, a poo poo-tastic caliper spreader tool, and a pot metal sloppy rear end twist brake piston tool. I did not get the girlfriends rear brakes done, I just put the old pads back on gently caress it gently caress everything

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

I threw (2) ratchets, a poo poo-tastic caliper spreader tool, and a pot metal sloppy rear end twist brake piston tool. I did not get the girlfriends rear brakes done, I just put the old pads back on gently caress it gently caress everything

I've had meh-to-fair results from the cheap cube piston tools, but usually better than the next-best option, a pair of needle-nose pliers. Regardless, I'm not a huge fan of the twist-to-retract rear caliper pistons. I understand the need, with parking brakes, but what a pain.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

gently caress the cube. "Rent" the disc pucks tool from an auto store.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

For as many small weird issues the Subaru drum-in-hat parking brake design causes, I sure am thankful for it when I read posts like this.

Didn't stop both rear calipers from seizing a few years ago

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")

Fifty Three posted:

For as many small weird issues the Subaru drum-in-hat parking brake design causes, I sure am thankful for it when I read posts like this.

Didn't stop both rear calipers from seizing a few years ago

After three hours smashing the poo poo out of my hands against the rotor any time the tool slipped (which was constant thanks to the slip angle of the tool and the slop in the ratchets), I gave up and asked her to order a nice kit from amazon. It's coming in Wednesday and from how it looks the job is gonna be a dream with it. Twist to set the pressure against the other side of the caliper so the plate with pins can't slip, then turn the bigass handle to retract the piston a bit. Twist, turn, repeat. Remember to bleed the brakes after because this lovely caliper design has the brake fluid dripping most of the time. Ugh.

At least it'll only need the job this one singular time, she's squeezed nearly 100k miles out of the first set.

E: to give an idea of why she'll only need the one set, she's got a v6 Accord from the days of the glass transmission. That 1-2 shift is rough as hell, it's not gonna make it much longer.

SeaGoatSupreme fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Nov 5, 2019

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Colostomy Bag posted:

gently caress the cube. "Rent" the disc pucks tool from an auto store.

I always do this and haven't had an issue thus far. Usually you can even break their poo poo and still not have to pay for it since they too know that it's sometimes half broken garbage already.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Just had new under-door Angry Bee LEDs put in this afternoon. Between these and the 1320 seatbelt covers, keychains and metal signs in the garage, I think we're looking at a total of about 100 extra hp.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

So satisfying. I can actually see a beam pattern on the garage wall now, instead of just a dull washed out glow. We'll see how much better they are on the drive to work tonight; I suspect "significantly better" will be the outcome.

e: this was with the $13.99 Harbor Freight kit (minus the 20% off coupon they always have), which seems to be almost identical to the $25 kit 3M sells. The grit isn't labeled as well on the HF sandpaper, and the masking tape is really lovely vs the tape you get with the 3M kit, but it seems otherwise identical. Going to get another kit and do GF's car tomorrow (one of her lights is really bad, the other is just starting to yellow), and also grab some Meguiar's headlight coating from Walmart to try and keep them looking decent for awhile.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Nov 7, 2019

zhel
Aug 2, 2010

Got the winter tires in and put on the quadrifoglio yesterday just in time for near freezing temps and light snow today! The POS stock Pirellis that were on there were balding at 10K miles....

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

I put my winters on on Tuesday. Checked everything out and didn’t see anything alarming. Now I’m hoping for another good winter with the Fit.

Cleaned up the toolbox too!

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Tested the cylinders with squirts of oil, and it turns out that I've got 1 cylinder with bad rings and 2 that are inconclusive at best. Hooray
I also broke off a wiper arm spindle due to PO fuckery, so that's fun

The Door Frame posted:

My 93 Capri again, the spindles(?) for my wipers were completely ruined by the PO. One was drilled into and had a roll pin shoved through the wiper arm into the spindle itself... Upon fixing a problem with the armature and trying to reinstall the arms, the first spindle snapped off before I could even get it tight enough to stay in place

And apropos of nothing, gently caress these things

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

STR posted:

So satisfying. I can actually see a beam pattern on the garage wall now, instead of just a dull washed out glow. We'll see how much better they are on the drive to work tonight; I suspect "significantly better" will be the outcome.

Realized the aim might be just a wee bit off on my way to work. 3 different people flipped me off as I passed them, 2 flipped on their high beams once I got past them, one person kept brake checking me. Realized my low beams are shining right into everyone's mirrors... :doh:

I knew the rear end is a little saggy, I didn't realize it was throwing the headlights that far off. :downs: Adjusted them way, way, way down after I got home, went for a quick drive. I'm now lighting up the road pretty well instead of street signs a block away. Also turns out a ratcheting GM battery terminal wrench - which is 5/16" - is close enough to 8mm that it works perfect for adjusting these headlights (not enough room to get a socket in there, and my actual wrenches are buried somewhere in the garage).

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

People do that to me, and I *show* them what the high beams look like.
And 5/16" is 7.9375mm, so off by less than the margin of manufacturing error, probably. I've always used them interchangeably. 9/32" works for 7mm, too (common on GM and Ford dash screws.)

The Crown Vic has a adjusters that are 4mm, and unreachable by any normal wrench. There's a special snowflake tool with a roller-clutch ratchet.
https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-14540-Headlight-Adjusting-Ratchet/dp/B0002SR8AK/
Fortunately it's only $10.

edit: also gently caress assholes that brake check anyone for anything.

casque
Mar 17, 2009

Darchangel posted:

People do that to me, and I *show* them what the high beams look like.

edit: also gently caress assholes that brake check anyone for anything blind oncoming traffic.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Yes, trying to crash someone is a good and proper way to pint out misaligned headlights, you brain dead syphilitic poo poo splatter.

casque
Mar 17, 2009

Darchangel posted:

Yes, trying to crash someone is a good and proper way to pint out misaligned headlights, you brain dead syphilitic poo poo splatter.

I'm sorry, I went for the humorous edit-quote rather than trying to communicate like a grown-up. I don't think there's ever an acceptable reason to brake check anyone including for having misaligned headlights. I was trying to make the point that misaligned headlights are dangerous, not that people should be braking other drivers.

If people are consistently indicating to you that they believe your high beams are in use when they are not that could be because your headlights are misaligned and potentially blinding other drivers. If that's happening, I would encourage you to adjust your headlights rather than doubling down with your high beams.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

It's worse with misaligned LED headlights. Holy poo poo those things are bright.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Every pair of headlights on the road appear blindingly misaligned behind the wheel of low car. I just get used to it

gently caress the people who use weird colored LED's. That blazing blue or weird green color somehow still shine bright even after I've flipped the switch on my rearview mirror when white, orange, and yellow actually dim

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Air pump removal on the S2000. I wired the IZZE simulator as well but that’s pretty boring and I’d have to show my terrible wiring skills.