Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
I really want to see The Beaches play live in Chicago but they are coming with the AWOLNATION tour and IDK if I want to sit at the Aragon and watch them play for a half hour opening for like seven other bands. They are headlining back-to-back-to-back shows in Toronto; maybe I should just fly up there and see them on their home turf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

captainOrbital posted:

I really want to see The Beaches play live in Chicago but they are coming with the AWOLNATION tour and IDK if I want to sit at the Aragon and watch them play for a half hour opening for like seven other bands. They are headlining back-to-back-to-back shows in Toronto; maybe I should just fly up there and see them on their home turf.

They were supposed to open in a small venue last month, but the headliner got in an accident and they canceled. I really want to see them again too, but understand how terrible it is to pay high prices in a large venue just for an opener.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I have tickets to see the Beaches when they're in Vancouver in February, gonna be awesome. They're playing in a classic heritage venue here, about 1k people in size, the Commodore Ballroom.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
well I HAVE alvvays wanted to see Vancouver

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Here's the FB event with info, it doesn't seem to be sold out!! https://www.facebook.com/events/2271929353097973

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

I assume I'm the last person in the world to discover (Sandy) Alex G, but goddamn he rules. Pretty much everything I've clicked on has been great.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.

Ratios and Tendency posted:

I assume I'm the last person in the world to discover (Sandy) Alex G, but goddamn he rules. Pretty much everything I've clicked on has been great.

agreed. house of sugar kicks dang rear end

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
I saw Sleater-Kinney for the second time on Sunday. Still really hate the Rebel, because if you sit at the back, all the sound kind of dies before it gets to you. Still, they put on a great show. I felt like the crowd wasn't feeling it as much, but I was also in the back, so who knows. They played the entire new album, plus the new single, and sprinkled in some of the older stuff.

Then I just bought Bikini Kill tickets today, so it's been a pretty good week for riot grrrl.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I’m at a Tiny Moving Parts show in San Diego right now and I was ridiculously impressed by one of their openers, Fredo Disco. That poo poo was extremely good.

That show was incredible, best show I’ve been to in probably the last five years.

Thumbtacks fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Nov 9, 2019

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Twin Cinema posted:

I saw Sleater-Kinney for the second time on Sunday. Still really hate the Rebel, because if you sit at the back, all the sound kind of dies before it gets to you. Still, they put on a great show. I felt like the crowd wasn't feeling it as much, but I was also in the back, so who knows. They played the entire new album, plus the new single, and sprinkled in some of the older stuff.

Then I just bought Bikini Kill tickets today, so it's been a pretty good week for riot grrrl.

I was front row centre and folks were definitely more active up front. It depends on the kind of crowd shows draw, but I've still noticed that at Toronto shows most times people are fairly subdued.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
that's my experience too so I was extremely extremely weirded out by the loving mosh pit at Built to Spill earlier this autumn

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
i dig this new Beach Bunny song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UrzgrI1FBo

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The Walrus posted:

that's my experience too so I was extremely extremely weirded out by the loving mosh pit at Built to Spill earlier this autumn
I've seen Built to Spill like 5 times and I've never seen anyone mosh at their shows :wtc:

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Here's a crappy cellphone shot of The Beths last night.

This is your semi-regular reminder that the Beths loving own and you should go see them when they come to your town.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
after a good night's sleep and some time for my hearing to return, i would like to reiterate that that concert was extremely good but the opening band REALLY surprised me with how good they were, i think they'll get pretty big if they keep doing stuff, they definitely have the sound and attitude and stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSlCUtNekA8

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
the beths do fuckin own hell yeah

I've been checking the setlists for s-k's tour and while I'm not in love with the newest album it's cool they are playing all 11 songs from it and a ton of the back catalogue too.

but I couldn't talk my wife into going so I'm going to my first concert by myself in like 15 years :v:

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Here's one more thing to click on

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Bsxld65Y10

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Rageaholic posted:

I've seen Built to Spill like 5 times and I've never seen anyone mosh at their shows :wtc:

it was bizarre. it was the perfect from now on tour so it's not even like it was some of their more mosh-y stuff (not that they even have any). I think some people were just like on crystal or something, it was like 15 VERY willing participants and then a lot of confused people.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

I've never seen Built To Spill live and the idea of a mosh pit makes me go :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck:

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

I was also at that Built to Spill show, and was standing pretty close to the mosh pit. I, too, was perplexed. I last saw them in the mid-00s, and it was just a bunch of stoned older people swaying. Was expecting that again.

Twin Cinema fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Nov 10, 2019

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Twin Cinema posted:

I was also at that Built to Spill show, and was standing pretty close to the mosh pit. I, too, was perplexed. I last saw them in the mid-00s, and it was just a bunch of stoned older people swaying. Was expecting that again.

at Lee's palace? same. to be honest I liked that show a lot more than this one, they had all three guitarists right up front and they did such an amazing job of harmonizing through the whole show. Doug is way more on his own now.

but lol, at that recent show did you have to deal with that one extremely obnoxious townie girl and her much larger older boyfriend? lots of jumping and screaming? I ended up needing to relocate just to avoid her.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
It shocks me that I am the first to report this here, but Charly Bliss have a new EP out and it's really good. Previous non-album highlight "Heaven" is on here, followed up by what is now one of my top three songs of theirs. Check it out. If Young Enough turned you off, you'll be happy to find that the boring synth pads were just a phase and they're back to the guitar jams. This song is seriously so good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZLO3y1h48c

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Local band Dogleg put out a new song and video last week. They are a wild live band to see, and this was recorded at the final Bledfest while the fire alarms were blaring because the band next door burned down their fog machine. I was somewhere in the back old man jamming.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51yb3yJfrj4

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

blue squares posted:

Just saw Big Thief live. They are so wonderful

We cheered until they played an encore. "Zombie Girl," which is new and hasn't made it to an album yet. Two albums in 2019 and they still have more songs.

:same: That show loving rocked.

No encore for us though :(

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

@cptn_dr, I saw French for Rabbits last night! They played in the attic of a vintage clothing store (lol) and there were maybe 30 people there, but it was still awesome, their music is incredible. Thank you again for recommending them to me!!

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Indie music takes you to weird places. Few weeks ago I went to a small psychedelic art gallery for a show. :pwn:

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
The new Tame Impala songs, especially the newest one, sound like B sides to the Currents album.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

CLAM DOWN posted:

@cptn_dr, I saw French for Rabbits last night! They played in the attic of a vintage clothing store (lol) and there were maybe 30 people there, but it was still awesome, their music is incredible. Thank you again for recommending them to me!!

Ahhh that's super cool! Glad you made it to the gig - they've played some weird spots. I think the strangest I've seen them at is a bike shop (when they opened for Jess Cornelius, who's an LA based kiwi and is also very cool).

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

The Walrus posted:

at Lee's palace? same. to be honest I liked that show a lot more than this one, they had all three guitarists right up front and they did such an amazing job of harmonizing through the whole show. Doug is way more on his own now.

but lol, at that recent show did you have to deal with that one extremely obnoxious townie girl and her much larger older boyfriend? lots of jumping and screaming? I ended up needing to relocate just to avoid her.

Yep, that was the show. I seem to remember the whole band having more energy, whereas this time, while I loved it, they didn't really have much charisma. It wasn't until the Elton John cover that they loosened up a bit. But, my memory of the Lee's Palace show could be off.

And, I was more near the entrance. I don't remember seeing that.

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

If anyone hasn't seen it yet, Tennis is loving back

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6kNQEzQJpA

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Jeff Rosenstock + Laura Stevenson did a Neil Young covers album featuring Craig Finn.
https://pitchfork.com/news/jeff-rosenstock-and-laura-stevenson-release-neil-young-covers-ep-listen/?=

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
I went to see Sharp/Shock over the weekend at Cobra Lounge in Chicago, even though I own neither black jeans nor a pair of black Vans. They were great, and I also got to see The Hallow and The Evictions. The drummer for the Evictions is a goddamn BEAST. There were like fourteen people there but it was a fun night.

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down
New Glass Animals for the first time in three years featuring Denzel Curry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulP2XdAP2xg

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

New Coldplay leaked and it’s very good.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

RedneckwithGuns posted:

If anyone hasn't seen it yet, Tennis is loving back

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6kNQEzQJpA

this is extremely my poo poo and i never heard of tennis before so thanks for the new band in my life

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

Tennis is the loving best. Tour just announced, buy your tix everybody.

E: also, they made a really cool Spotify playlist of their lesser known 60’s/70’s influences
https://open.spotify.com/user/tennisinc/playlist/5OgWP3QGIHVZpYA48HtCWj?si=6xPZbmGCSjO2RmeNgZY0yg

Paperback Writer fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Nov 14, 2019

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

LionArcher posted:

New Coldplay leaked and it’s very good.

Good because the last *checks notes* 15 years have sucked.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

BonoMan posted:

Good because the last *checks notes* 15 years have sucked.

Nice edgy take. There's been a ton of good Coldplay songs. Sorry that shatters your hipster world view.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I gave X&Y a listen to the other day and man was that a step down from their first two albums. drat!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

CLAM DOWN posted:

Nice edgy take. There's been a ton of good Coldplay songs. Sorry that shatters your hipster world view.

They’re boring