Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
The worst thing about the writing is the repetitive poo poo. Die Hardon literally says at one point “as she just explained” and repeats the same thing your sister said.

I like the story and mechanics though. I’m willing to put up with the writing to find out what the heck is going on in the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

JBP posted:

I haven't felt bored once in 10 hours. The vehicles aren't great but I don't know the trick to making the bike not gently caress up and jam on rocks. It's for smooth surfaces.

Oh also I've got no idea how one would rent any game.

you just need to keep pulling back on the stick to pop wheelies as you hit an obstacle and press X to boost at the same time, just keep mashing these two commands and you'll eventually rocket over pretty much anything and you don't take much damage unless you fall a long distance, even then i've had the bike survive falls it DEFINITELY shouldnt have

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Subtext is for cowards. This game rules

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Being repetitive and pointing out what you are already looking at with your own two eyes is definitely a Japanese writing thing

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

That's a bigass lake

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Heavy Metal posted:

I quoted the same movie you did, and it was not bad I think.

I mean yeah if you ignore context and all that, or anything I actually wrote.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
The real Death Stranding was the arguments we had about personal taste along the way.

and

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Subtext is for cowards. This game rules

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yo I just got the trike in Chapter 3 should/can I fast travel back to the Chapter 2 reason and grind up connections across that map?

I did a 12 hour session yesterday, game is just incredible. Loading up on other people’s dropped cargo and delivering it for them was pretty fun in a Marie Kondo sort of way.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

Joe Gillian posted:

youll have to take it slower with that one, its the same guy that thought death stranding was exactly like silent hill 2 because your goal is to get to a place and along the way you meet characters.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Great Scott.

Joe Gillian posted:

You start by let's say gently suggesting what I should think or say, right? And when I reply you are saying I'm telling you what to think.

You say the game's story can be badly written in bold but I can like it anyway. Then it only may be, because you haven't played the dang thing anyway, but you're taking up for that position on it. Saying that position should be posted without contest, and not the other way around for whatever reason. You're just making things up and frankly, that's okay, we're all just trying to make sense of things in this topsy turvy world.

What is your intended idea here, other than that you didn't like my post? I was just talking shop with somebody I've talked games with on here for years. I get that you think the tone of my defending the game is not good. Okay? Well I didn't like your post either, man, and now it's a game war. Anyways we're about on schedule.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Nov 9, 2019

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Heavy Metal posted:

Great Scott.

You start by let's say gently suggesting what I should think or say, right? And when I reply you are saying I'm telling you what to think.

You say the game's story can be badly written in bold but I can like it anyway. Then it only may be, because you haven't played the dang thing anyway, but you're taking up for that position on it. Saying that position should be posted without contest, and not the other way around for whatever reason. You're just making things up and frankly, that's okay, we're all just trying to make sense of things in this tipsy turvy world.

What is your intended idea here, other than that you didn't like my post? I was just talking shop with somebody I've talked games with on here for years. I get that you think the tone of my defending the game is not good. Okay? Well I didn't like your post either, man, and now it's a game war. Anyways we're about on schedule.

This is loving nonsense. Just quote Darkplace unironically like everyone else is doing.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I've been watching people play until about 18-19 hour in and holy hell the writing is awful, but hey the gameplay looks pretty fun. Probably gonna pick this up on PC when it comes out if it's 40 or less.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Joe Gillian posted:

This is loving nonsense. Just quote Darkplace unironically like everyone else is doing.

You said I ignored what you wrote, so I attempted a drat summary. You clearly have a take on what you think the game is probably like, and you're wishy-washy as hell about it quite frankly. You initiated me in this post thing, and I am replying to your replies for some reason. I hope you enjoy the game next summer on PC!

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it
So I noticed a tooltip that says MULEs won’t bother attacking you if you’re not carrying cargo. Does that just mean deliverables, or will they still ping you and come after you for your ladders and boots, too?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Popular Human posted:

So I noticed a tooltip that says MULEs won’t bother attacking you if you’re not carrying cargo. Does that just mean deliverables, or will they still ping you and come after you for your ladders and boots, too?

The former. They don't care about tools. They also seem less likely to go after materials.

You can tell when they're after you as it'll highlight the relevant containers after the scan pulse.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

blue squares posted:

It's hilarious how a single drop of timefall ages whatever it hits, but Sam is cool with a hood that has the tiniest of brims to protect his face

They say that once timefall hits any surface it turns to regular water.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

JBP posted:

I haven't felt bored once in 10 hours. The vehicles aren't great but I don't know the trick to making the bike not gently caress up and jam on rocks. It's for smooth surfaces.

Oh also I've got no idea how one would rent any game.

There's gamefly and redbox, one is $16 for a month and the other is $3 for a night, and $7 for 3 nights.

I just wish there was a demo.

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011

Pigbottom posted:

They say that once timefall hits any surface it turns to Monster Energy Zero

Also there are a sad lack of any ReportOfTheWeek cameos

Where do you get the preOrder sunglasses?

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

Being repetitive and pointing out what you are already looking at with your own two eyes is definitely a Japanese writing thing

I think the setting being the US and all the famous western actors make it hard for people to judge the game for what it really is, a japanese game. With all the the quirkyness and weirdness that it entails.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Pigbottom posted:

It can even be filtered and safe to drink!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Pigbottom posted:

I think the setting being the US and all the famous western actors make it hard for people to judge the game for what it really is, a japanese game. With all the the quirkyness and weirdness that it entails.

This is total nonsense, and even if it was true, Kojima is one of the most western-influenced Japanese video game producers out there.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
It's set in America because Kojima wanted his story to take place in America. Who gives a poo poo if it looks like Iceland!!! There are shadow ghost people turning corpses into craters, shut up!!!!

Steve Yun posted:

Let me tell you about a little game called Persona 5 :v:

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

Pigbottom posted:

It's a loving Kojima production lmao if anyone is complaining about odd dialogue and a nonsense story they've been living under a rock and huffing glue.

He has never written a game that didn't include stupid anime nonsense. :ocelot:

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Anime... is good. Just saying. I respect what you're saying however.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Heavy Metal posted:

You said I ignored what you wrote, so I attempted a drat summary. You clearly have a take on what you think the game is probably like, and you're wishy-washy as hell about it quite frankly. You initiated me in this post thing, and I am replying to your replies for some reason. I hope you enjoy the game next summer on PC!

You're out of your element.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

I saw a rope next to a river, do they actually help

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

Heavy Metal posted:

Anime... is good. Just saying. I respect what you're saying however.

Kojima games are awesome, and I am really enjoying this one. I've just always believed that every Kojima game would be a bit better without the paranormal stuff or childish sillyness and girls in bikinis that he's known for.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Fair enough.

Joe Gillian posted:

You're out of your element.

Well Donny was a good guy, so I say thank you for the comparison.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

Kojima games are awesome, and I am really enjoying this one. I've just always believed that every Kojima game would be a bit better without the paranormal stuff or childish sillyness and girls in bikinis that he's known for.
Hmm maybe it's just not your thing?

oh wait...

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012

Macaluso posted:

It's set in America because Kojima wanted his story to take place in America. Who gives a poo poo if it looks like Iceland!!! There are shadow ghost people turning corpses into craters, shut up!!!!

Look I'm with you, I know almost all media, even foreign, should be about or take place in America, land of the free. But maybe some could take place elsewhere once in a blue moon, especially when the the themes are universal and the design specifically references somewhere outside the usa, home of the brave

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Mongolians probably don't get as amusingly upset as Americans, though. You know how Kojima is.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I'm willing to keep playing this game, but it's definitely a hard sell at 60 bucks. Maybe when it gets cheaper I can recommend it to more people.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Pigbottom posted:

Yeah but it could hit him right in the face I mean

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Today I learned you can't just power through BT areas with your bike. I just reloaded my save since I just left a place. But yeesh it dismounts you from your bike and also makes you drop a ton of your cargo. Then drags you quite a ways away

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Macaluso posted:

Today I learned you can't just power through BT areas with your bike. I just reloaded my save since I just left a place. But yeesh it dismounts you from your bike and also makes you drop a ton of your cargo. Then drags you quite a ways away

You can sometimes! The area along a river in chapter 2 I powered through

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I wish there was a companion app to read all this Data

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Trickyblackjack posted:

Look I'm with you, I know almost all media, even foreign, should be about or take place in America, land of the free. But maybe some could take place elsewhere once in a blue moon, especially when the the themes are universal and the design specifically references somewhere outside the usa, home of the brave

It's especially interesting to me how normalized American exceptionalism is nowadays, that even a Japanese guy feels completely at ease to use all those nationalistic tropes totally unironically.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

blue squares posted:

You can sometimes! The area along a river in chapter 2 I powered through

That's the area I'm at, and yeah the second time I took the shoreline instead of trying to just drive right through the field on either side.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

decided to hulk it out and take 19kg more than i can carry just to see what happens.

i recommend everyone try it at least once. just load everything on your back and don;t entrust anything with anyone else.

i'm just curious how long you'll last. i made it ten minutes before reloading my save.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Six AM
Nov 30, 2008

SardonicTyrant posted:

I'm willing to keep playing this game, but it's definitely a hard sell at 60 bucks. Maybe when it gets cheaper I can recommend it to more people.

How many people are awaiting your final judgment