Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
If you leave your bike somewhere and go forward on foot, can you like, recall your bike at a garage or anything or do you then have to go back and get the bike? Can you build a new one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Pigbottom posted:

It's especially interesting to me how normalized American exceptionalism is nowadays, that even a Japanese guy feels completely at ease to use all those nationalistic tropes totally unironically.

Or the fact that the main character SHOULD be the one named Fragile, but you know, women or whatever.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Joe Gillian posted:

Or the fact that the main character SHOULD be the one named Fragile, but you know, women or whatever.

-___________________________________________-

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Subtext is for cowards.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

For people still defending this game as good I'm just going to post this:
Once, there was an explosion,
a bang which gave rise to life as we know it.
And then, came the next explosion

Hideo Kodjima a writer of words :D

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Sekenr posted:

What about it

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
I’m only at the very beginning, but this game is scratching a lot of itches for me. Love the concept of delivering poo poo, finding new routes, etc. Some of my favorite tasks in Elite Dangerous was making trade runs, and this feels similar. Having the tilt mechanic makes each journey feel dangerous. Another itch this scratches is having a batshit insane story, because the whole concept of this is crazy, the presidents assistant or whatever he is has a loving metal skull attached to his face, and there’s a baby from a brain dead mom strapped to your chest.

Really interested to see where this goes.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

I really didnt expect the Disco Elysium gangtag to be such a red flag but it seems that nearly everyone who has it has skidmarks on literally every single pair of underwear they own.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Sekenr posted:

Hell yeah it owns thanks

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

lets hang out posted:

What about it

Its very bad

also, time works the same way

Six AM
Nov 30, 2008

Sekenr posted:

This guy sucks

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Love how much a game about connections and bringing people together is driving this thread to eat each other.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Looks there are too many drat people in the world and all the connections have been made. I’m never able to find spots to be the first person to make a helpful ladder so I just put do not pee signs everywhere instead.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

net cafe scandal posted:

I really didnt expect the Disco Elysium gangtag to be such a red flag but it seems that nearly everyone who has it has skidmarks on literally every single pair of underwear they own.

"stfu nerd!"

unironically, in a sub-sect of a forum about video games

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Macaluso posted:

If you leave your bike somewhere and go forward on foot, can you like, recall your bike at a garage or anything or do you then have to go back and get the bike? Can you build a new one?

You can make a new one.

I did see a Garage in one of the menus, but I don’t think vehicles you leave out automatically go there.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Joe Gillian posted:

"stfu nerd!"

unironically, in a sub-sect of a forum about video games

You are not lucid

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Why does the baby like when I pee

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Communist Bear posted:

Love how much a game about connections and bringing people together is driving this thread to eat each other.

I only connect and bring things together based on the amount of likes I will get.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

why can’t you pee while pooping

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

The first story mission where you deliver Dead President Mom to a mountain incinerator to get roasted and then spooky bois appear owns. I failed it though cuz I dicked around in a river.

Game is dumb as gently caress and I love it

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Macaluso posted:

Why does the baby like when I pee
He's giggling at your tiny wiener.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

net cafe scandal posted:

You are not lucid
Believe me, I don't expect you to understand much of anything really.

Six AM
Nov 30, 2008

Joe Gillian posted:

Believe me, I don't expect you to understand much of anything really.

Jesus this is lame

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
I'm not enjoying how there's no actual CODEC and everything is dumped into the "INTERVIEWS", but this is how it was in MGSV as well.
So far game is more "complete" than I expected, but I wouldn't rate it above any of Kojima's PS2-era works.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I encountered a friendly local porter who held out a package for me, to be nice. I thought square would interact with it but instead I punched him in the face. Whoops

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I'm past chapter 4 and I'm not sure why they told reviewers to not reveal anything past chapter 3. Maybe something happens later, but the "surprise" in chapter 4 was already revealed in at least one of the pre-game trailers.

blue squares posted:

I encountered a friendly local porter who held out a package for me, to be nice. I thought square would interact with it but instead I punched him in the face. Whoops

I'm glad the orders terminals can't take damage, because I can't keep count on how many times I've tried punching one because I forgot it's hold, not press square.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Six AM posted:

Jesus this is lame

God dammit I keep making the mistake of assuming that anyone is being intellectually honest here.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I just met Troy Baker's character. I love him already

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Romes128 posted:

You can make a new one.

I did see a Garage in one of the menus, but I don’t think vehicles you leave out automatically go there.

Note: it's a while after you get one to use that you can actually build one. Take care of that first bike.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Wow that boss fight was super cool. I was honestly dreading it because I tend to dislike combat in a lot of games. But it was actually a lot more forgiving than I was expecting and visually the whole thing was stunning

edit: Also I loved seeing all these after the fight was over :3:

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Nov 9, 2019

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
It took me way to long too realize that the reason I wasn't holding my breath is because you need to use Sam's right hand to do it.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I wish there was a "skip already seen cutscenes" because by now the BB flashbacks you get when you come out of the room has started repeating, but since it's Kojima, I totally expect him to start a cutscene that you think you've already seen then it changes midway through.

Same with recycling. It's even TWO cutscenes you have skip - whyyyy

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

ymgve posted:

Same with recycling. It's even TWO cutscenes you have skip - whyyyy

This is the thing I most dislike about the game, followed closely by "Take a thing off your back and put it on the ground" is a cutscene.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I don't think Kojima's writing is bad, so much as his writing is extremely arch and deliberately ridiculous in a way very few people are used to. We know from moments in his previous work that Kojima can absolutely do the small scale, subtle moments that are more traditionally "good writing," he just doesn't really want to, he wants to write a story where you freeclimb across America with a baby strapped to your chest, taking orders from DIE HARDMAN and throwing your piss at ghosts.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

I don't think Kojima's writing is bad, so much as his writing is extremely arch and deliberately ridiculous in a way very few people are used to. We know from moments in his previous work that Kojima can absolutely do the small scale, subtle moments that are more traditionally "good writing," he just doesn't really want to, he wants to write a story where you freeclimb across America with a baby strapped to your chest, taking orders from DIE HARDMAN and throwing your piss at ghosts.

I don’t see how criticisms like “the dialogue is dull and fails to convey character” get twisted around to “people aren’t ready for WACKY Japanese man Kojima” but rest assured I would be more satisfied with Death Stranding if the game was more confident in its own weirdness.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I'd love if someone other than Kojima wrote this story, like Swery. As it is, the star-power Kojima got really isn't selling it.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

SardonicTyrant posted:

I'd love if someone other than Kojima wrote this story.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
i want more sunglasses

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

WatermelonGun posted:

i want more sunglasses

I wish I could separate the sunglasses from the weird forehead skull bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I hope there is a kidney failure achievement waiting at the end for drinking all five monster energy drinks every single time you visit the private room