Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

The best wrestling storylines let you decide to sell out if you want to, like HCTP or when you started the WWF champion story in No Mercy as the incumbent. It should be a mandatory thing in all future games to turn on the fans so that you can be in the 3-man part of a 3v1 handicap match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCool69
Sep 23, 2011

jesus WEP posted:

When did they first start referring to Mick offhandedly by his real name, I kinda remember it being really early in his WWF run

Had to be before The Rock i quit match because they had Foleys family there and i remember JR referring Mankind as Foley

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
I think it was around the time of this interview

https://youtu.be/_asxsa7Yicw

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

MassRafTer posted:

Rapping Cena and Fruity Pebbles Cena were pretty much as distinct as Foley's gimmicks. They were all the same dude.

It's not like The Destroyer where he was WWA Champion as The Destroyer and AWA Champion as Dr. X and changed up everything he could about the way he wrestled so people wouldn't figure out the difference.

Honorable mention to IWGP champions Keiji Mutoh and The Great Muta (because I laugh every time they run the champion rollcall and count them as separate)

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Hi, I have a question.

During the late 90s boom period in the US, who were the top stars in Japan? Most people these days know (at least in name) Okada, Tanahashi, Naito etc. but as a new fan back then I was (and still am) clueless about what was going on in NJPW/AJPW... NOAH?

Also, a related question:

WCW had famously signed a large number of luchadors, so who would have been the top stars in Mexico at the time?

Full disclosure, I’m doing a thing in Fire Pro World, so this is seriously important.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
So with most promos/interviews/etc. in WWE being pre-scripted, how much rehearsal time do the wrestlers have on average? Because some of the typical stiffness of them feels like "we barely had time to learn these lines", but also they probably are expected to stick to the exact wording as much as possible. And apart from maybe some of the "sets" I don't see a lot of places for prompters or whatever. And let's assume for the moment we're talking about an episode where Vince didn't rewrite everything fifteen minutes ahead of time.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Maxwell Lord posted:

So with most promos/interviews/etc. in WWE being pre-scripted, how much rehearsal time do the wrestlers have on average? Because some of the typical stiffness of them feels like "we barely had time to learn these lines", but also they probably are expected to stick to the exact wording as much as possible. And apart from maybe some of the "sets" I don't see a lot of places for prompters or whatever. And let's assume for the moment we're talking about an episode where Vince didn't rewrite everything fifteen minutes ahead of time.

Maybe a couple of hours, and during that you also need to go over your match if you're working that night.

Takuan
May 6, 2007

Sandman McMahon posted:

Hi, I have a question.

During the late 90s boom period in the US, who were the top stars in Japan? Most people these days know (at least in name) Okada, Tanahashi, Naito etc. but as a new fan back then I was (and still am) clueless about what was going on in NJPW/AJPW... NOAH?

In All Japan, there was Mitsuhara Misawa, Kenta Kobashi, Toshiaki Kawada, and Akira Taue. Depending on your definition of '90s' and 'top star', you could also include Stan Hansen and Vader.

In New Japan there was The Great Muta, Masahiro Chono, Keiji Mutoh, and Shinya Hashimoto. Again, depending on your definition of '90s' and 'top star' Riki Choshu
and Tatsumi Fujinami were still kicking around.

I know Hayabusa and Atsushi Onita were top guys in FMW, but I don't know who else was on top in that company.

Edit:gently caress i get Akira Maeda and Akira Taue mixed up sometimes

Takuan fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Nov 9, 2019

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
Akira Taue was the fourth person in All Japan: Akira Maeda was an ex-New Japan guy who split off with the UWF to do Shoot Style and then formed Rings which slowly transitioned to all shoots.

All Japan also had Jun Akiyama towards the top around that time as well; you also had Steve Williams towards the end of his initial run before going to WWF for the Brawl for All. Can’t think of anyone key: they didn’t really have juniors at a high level (Yoshinari Ogawa had a million day reign and not that many defences, Fuchi was still pushed, Kikuchi also) but there’s a chance I’ve forgotten someone.

New Japan also had their Juniors: Liger of course, but also Otani, Kanemoto and El Samurai as well amongst others. For heavyweights you have to include Tenryu as well since he was basically New Japan at that point, Kensuki Sasake got runs on top as well, Scott Norton was probably your top foreigner. Can’t go more in depth since New Japan in that period is something I have a surface understanding of.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Also NOAH didn't exist until 2000, which is its own big story in Japanese wrestling history.

After Giant Baba (the founder and booker of AJPW) died in 1999, there was a big dispute between his widow, who inherited the company, and a lot of the wrestlers over the future direction (a weird and complicated story that other people probably know more details to), so Misawa and Kobashi left to form their own promotion and took most of the roster with them. NOAH quickly replaced AJPW as the No. 2 company in Japan, and were arguably No. 1 during their mid-2000s peak when NJPW was slumping.

That talent exodus was pretty much the end for All Japan as a major-league promotion -- they've had some peaks here and there since then, and are currently having a nice run with Kento Miyahara on top, but never came close to their 90s boom period again.

Benne fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Nov 9, 2019

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Sandman McMahon posted:

Hi, I have a question.

Also, a related question:

WCW had famously signed a large number of luchadors, so who would have been the top stars in Mexico at the time?

Full disclosure, I’m doing a thing in Fire Pro World, so this is seriously important.

Firstly, NOAH didn't exist until the summer of 2000, and it split off from All Japan, taking almost all their wrestlers (Toshiaki Kawada & Masanobu Fuchi were the only Japanese ones to stay with All Japan post-split).

But yeah, if you take 1998 (since that's arguably the peak in the US) then All Japan is about The Four Pillars of Heaven: Mitsuhara Misawa, Kenta Kobashi, Toshiaki Kawada & Akira Taue. Their big foreigners would be Stan Hansen & Vader (or if you go a little earlier it'd be Hansen & Dr Death Steve Williams). If you go to the next rung down there there's guys like Jun Akiyama, Gary Albright, Johnny Ace (yes, Road Warrior Animal's brother & once one half of the Dynamic Dudes in WCW) and maybe someone like Hiroshi Hase who was more of a part-timer.

New Japan is mostly about the Three Musketeers, Keiji Mutoh, Masahiro Chono & Shinya Hashimoto. Then there's the veterans like Tatsumi Fujnami, Riki Choshu & Antonio Inoki was still kind of occasionally around as he'd never really transitioned into the Baba style comedy multi-man role, when Inoki was around everything was about Inoki. Could probably throw Genichiro Tenryu in their too as he wasn't on every tour but he was a big name. And then there's Kensuke Sasaki who has an IWGP title reign in that period of the late 90s. As for foreigners it's thinners pickings. Scott Norton. Then some MMA guys. Don Frye was far better than he should have been for how little experience he had & he was a big enough deal to be the final opponent of Inoki. Plus the Juniors were a bigger deal in New Japan so you can throw in Liger, Ohtani, & Kanemoto.

As for top lucha guys, El Hijo del Santo, Shocker, Cien Caras, Negro Casas, Blue Panther, Blue Demon Jr, Octagon, Mascara Sagrada, Perro Aguayo Jr., Cibernetico, Canek.

Spot who took too long looking at the top names in CMLL & AAA & got beaten. It was me

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
If you wish to broaden out to Joshi late 90s is when the scene was very fragmented and shrinking as everyone and their uncle created their own promotion but if you would like that I could think of top names from the scene.

GAEA has Chigusa Nagayo really as the main person (owner, legend etc) but you also had people like Akira Hokoto, Devil Masami, Mayumi Ozaki, very young Meiko Satomura, KAORU and many others. Arsion had Aja Kong as a cofounder, Ayako Hamada wrestled there, I think Lioness Asuka was active around this time, there are others. AJW had Manami Toyota, Kyoko Inoue and Yumiko Hotta certainly, I think that covers names off of the top of my head and there are certainly massive gaps in this.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Schneider Heim posted:

What's the best WWE game, gameplay-wise? I remember going through several iterations of Smackdown vs RAW and I thought 2006 was the most solid? I made The Prince of All Cosmos from Katamari Damacy as a heel CAW there

HCTP

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

This is a fun question, I just decided to watch every IWGP title change to get more familiar with the guys I don't know. I'm up to Vader beating Fujinami but I can't find the rematch two months later online anywhere. I'm excited to get to the three musketeers era.

When I'm done with this I'm either going to do the same thing with the triple crown or the IWGP Jr belt. Or hell, probably both eventually.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Oh and the answer to the other question is No Mercy.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Yo which Smackdown vs. Raw game had an event where Lashley calls you on the phone and breathes heavy? I think of that poo poo every time I see him.... oh and the whole cucking thing now. Kind of hard to forget that.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

The best WWE games were whichever ones had GM mode. SvR 2006/2007/2008?

GM mode was the fuckin' best and I wish they'd bring it back.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Oh yeah and did all the games when they ran out of story just have Vince bring out a ridiculous randomly generated giant to try and kill you?

Those games seemed to know Vince very well.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Thanks for the responses to my game question, everyone!

Here's another:

Recently Emi Sakura and Jericho talked about sharing a mentor in Kodo Fuyuki. It got me interested in looking up who trained who, which often comes up in NJPW English commentary. Who are the most prolific (and successful) trainers in pro-wrestling, east and west?

Huntman
Apr 22, 2010

i believe Animal Hamaguchi mentored Tetsuya Naito, Shingo Takagi, Satoshi Kojima, and Shinjiro Otani at one point or another. I want to say most of LiJ did a bit of training under Animal, but i'm not totally sure.

In the West I know Lance Storm helped train Oney Lorcan, Tyler Breeze, Tenille Dashwood, and probably someone else obvious I'm forgetting.

Mike Quackenbush and the Wrestle Factory had a lot of indie names start in it and go through it. I think names like Cesaro, Eddie Kingston, Orange Cassidy, Ultramantis Black, Madison Eagles, Drew Gulak, Stokely Hathaway, Tracy Williams, and a good chunk of other CHIKARA/CZW names. Chris Hero and Reckless Youth (and I think Cesaro and Sara Del Rey too?) also helped train people at various points.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Killer Kowalski trained Triple H, who went on to influence like 80% of the modern-day WWE scene, so he's up there.

For a modern Eastern example, the NJPW Dojo is mostly a collaborative effort -- Yuji Nagata usually takes the credit for training the Young Lion classes that have been knocking it out of the park in recent years, but you also have Nakanishi, Tenzan, Kojima, Liger, and others in the dojo working with the boys and mentoring them.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
I'm explaining some pro wrestling history to my boyfriend now that he's huge into AEW so I wanted to ask the experts for some examples:

What's Arn Anderson's best match?

What's Tully Blanchard's best match?

What's the best match/clip to show off the original Four Horsemen?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

I'm explaining some pro wrestling history to my boyfriend now that he's huge into AEW so I wanted to ask the experts for some examples:

Tully's best match has to be the I Quit cage match with Magnum TA

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Schneider Heim posted:

Thanks for the responses to my game question, everyone!

Here's another:

Recently Emi Sakura and Jericho talked about sharing a mentor in Kodo Fuyuki. It got me interested in looking up who trained who, which often comes up in NJPW English commentary. Who are the most prolific (and successful) trainers in pro-wrestling, east and west?

It's harder to say in Japan because with the way the dojo system works means a lot of the veterans are chipping in. You do get certain wrestlers taking a closer interest in certain rookies though (I know for example Nagata worked a lot with Fale and Oka, or Naito was a mentor for Hiromu and YOH).

Outside of the big companies with dojos I'd say Chigusa Nagayo, TAKA Michinoku, Meiko Satomura and Tajiri are probably turning out the best talent that go onto good things.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
ultimo dragon has to be up there as far as quality of trainees.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Yeah, UD has a heck of a track record from CIMA to Taiji Ishimori.

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos

TheKingslayer posted:

Yo which Smackdown vs. Raw game had an event where Lashley calls you on the phone and breathes heavy? I think of that poo poo every time I see him.... oh and the whole cucking thing now. Kind of hard to forget that.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Arn was mainly a tag team wrestler so all his great matches are going to be tag matches but here goes:

Arn Anderson/Ole Anderson vs. Rock n’ Roll Express - Starrcade 1986. Cage match.
Doom vs. Arn Anderson/Barry Windham (Street Fight) - Starrcade 1990. Street fight.
Ric Flair/Arn Anderson vs. Brian Pillman/Steve Austin (2/3 falls) - Clash of the Champions 23.
Ric Flair/Arn Anderson vs. Vader/Steve Austin - WCW Saturday Night - November 13th, 1993.

and of course, Arn and Tully was the main tag team in the Four Horsemen and they had a bunch of good to great matches.

As mentioned, definitely watch the Tully vs Magnum TA "I Quit" cage match from Starrcade 85. That is a brawl and a half.

As for something showing off all the Horsemen, you can't go wrong with the Wargames matches they're in.

Promos and stuff
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJIjm063yyk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4j7jHUyf0A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvF9l13WK2s

Monkeycheese
Feb 24, 2002

ninja minúsculo
Im just curious if anyone knows of any secret techniques to being able to wear a lucha mask and glasses simultaneously.
I don't use contacts so as far as i know my choice is dorking it up with a mask at a show or being able to distinguish detail amongst the blobs

Dr. Zoggle
Aug 12, 2006
Go Blue!

Monkeycheese posted:

Im just curious if anyone knows of any secret techniques to being able to wear a lucha mask and glasses simultaneously.
I don't use contacts so as far as i know my choice is dorking it up with a mask at a show or being able to distinguish detail amongst the blobs

You gotta just be like Stan Hansen and aim your fists at the blobs

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

With the Kenny/New Japan stuff I was wondering if there were any Visa issues when Western talent like Brody and Hansen jumped between New Japan/All Japan in the 80's?

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

forkboy84 posted:

Yeah, UD has a heck of a track record from CIMA to Taiji Ishimori.

Ultimo Dragon was Okada's first trainer. He really might have the best track record as far as students who became legitimately great.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

MrBling posted:

Arn was mainly a tag team wrestler so all his great matches are going to be tag matches but here goes:

Arn Anderson/Ole Anderson vs. Rock n’ Roll Express - Starrcade 1986. Cage match.
Doom vs. Arn Anderson/Barry Windham (Street Fight) - Starrcade 1990. Street fight.
Ric Flair/Arn Anderson vs. Brian Pillman/Steve Austin (2/3 falls) - Clash of the Champions 23.
Ric Flair/Arn Anderson vs. Vader/Steve Austin - WCW Saturday Night - November 13th, 1993.

and of course, Arn and Tully was the main tag team in the Four Horsemen and they had a bunch of good to great matches.

As mentioned, definitely watch the Tully vs Magnum TA "I Quit" cage match from Starrcade 85. That is a brawl and a half.

As for something showing off all the Horsemen, you can't go wrong with the Wargames matches they're in.

Promos and stuff
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJIjm063yyk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4j7jHUyf0A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvF9l13WK2s

Thank you friend, hopefully this will force him to actually learn their names rather than just shouting "Everyone's Dad" for Tully and "Everyone's Daddy" for Arn

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i wish Arn and Tully were my gay dads :smith:

Diar
Dec 22, 2003

Why would I have a problem with it? John Redcorn is gay, and I've been friends with him for twenty years.
How does Marty make that snapping noise when does the finger break spot. I read somewhere where the person was like "it's so obvious how he does it" and didnt elaborate at all.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Diar posted:

How does Marty make that snapping noise when does the finger break spot. I read somewhere where the person was like "it's so obvious how he does it" and didnt elaborate at all.

He slaps his triceps against his sides.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Diar posted:

He slaps his arms against his sides real fast when he makes the finger break movement and the noise that comes out sounds like a snap

An upper body version of the thigh slap, basically

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

Monkeycheese posted:

Cut holes for your ears? Get a SuperCalo mask that incorporates glasses?

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
The only thing I remember about SuperCalo (other than the cool mask) was his Ibushi-esque levels of hatred for his own neck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monkeycheese
Feb 24, 2002

ninja minúsculo

Beer_Suitcase posted:

Cut holes for your ears? Get a SuperCalo mask that incorporates glasses?

Yeah i haven't come up with anything that isn't either an arts and crafts project or just being blind. First world problem i suppose