Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

I don't know what DFSS is, but from context it seems to be some kind of time machine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I thought it was "hooses".

No that's just any group of houses in Scotland.

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

Goon Danton posted:

I don't know what DFSS is, but from context it seems to be some kind of time machine?

It's a business process that uses regression analysis to (supposedly) optimize a manufacturing or corporate process. I briefly had to work with it in the original dot-com era, and it's a total clusterfuck. It's mostly a way for upper management to justify their decisions with meaningless correlations, also they get to fetishize the Japanese. I'm mildly horrified that anyone is still taking it seriously.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Ohhhh it's six sigma! Statistics but stupid and also a cult! But what's the DF? Dwarf Fortress Six Sigma? Are we making process control charts for our plump helmet harvests?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Goon Danton posted:

Ohhhh it's six sigma! Statistics but stupid and also a cult! But what's the DF? Dwarf Fortress Six Sigma? Are we making process control charts for our plump helmet harvests?

DF stands for daddy fetish.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Paladinus posted:

DF stands for daddy fetish.

:iit:

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Housii

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

Right now, in some boardroom someone is showing a PowerPoint slide with the stonks meme as the conclusion.

The cocaine kicks in and the board begins to celebrate.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Goon Danton posted:

My guess is "Design For."

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Tobermory posted:

It's a business process that uses regression analysis to (supposedly) optimize a manufacturing or corporate process. I briefly had to work with it in the original dot-com era, and it's a total clusterfuck. It's mostly a way for upper management to justify their decisions with meaningless correlations, also they get to fetishize the Japanese. I'm mildly horrified that anyone is still taking it seriously.

people still believe in NPS too; humans love their measurements, even if they don't mean anything

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Tobermory posted:

Just to be clear, none of that should be confused with statistical capability for manufacturing processes, where the term six sigma comes from originallly. That's pretty much the only way to actually make large production runs of parts, where measuring every part is time-prohibitive. The actual statistics people use are kinda BS, someone threw together some equations without too much statistical background. But they work well enough when treated as a black box, which is how everyone does it these days because nobody understands them. It's good enough.

Everything else is utter bullshit. Managers and consultants took lean manufacturing and made the simple idea of "apply common sense to improve value and remove waste" as complicated as possible in order to justify their existence. Then they stole language from actual manufacturing processes in order to make it seem legitimate.

Karia has a new favorite as of 22:25 on Nov 8, 2019

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Let's take this method designed for analysing defects on a production line churning out a million identical items, and apply it to software development! What could possibly go wrong?

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

I've only ever dealt with six sigma people in a manufacturing scenario and it was kinda fun dumb even then. People are trying to use it for writing code? How? :psyduck:

Goon Danton has a new favorite as of 00:57 on Nov 9, 2019

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Goon Danton posted:

I've only ever dealt with six sigma people in a manufacturing scenario and it was kinda fun even then. People are trying to use it for writing code? How? :psyduck:

MBAs are a hell of a drug

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Goon Danton posted:

I've only ever dealt with six sigma people in a manufacturing scenario and it was kinda fun even then. People are trying to use it for writing code? How? :psyduck:

It's easy!

https://www.isixsigma.com/tools-templates/software/six-sigma-meets-software-development/

iSixSigma posted:

Six Sigma Versus SDLC
Six Sigma emphasizes quality from the beginning. Most often conventional Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC) methodologies introduce the quality processes towards the end of the project cycle, just before implementation. Some commonly used terms are unit testing, system testing, integration testing, etc. Some of the better methodologies emphasize design reviews and code reviews, but these too come in after the fact in that there is already a deliverable. Six Sigma rectifies that by introducing tollgates for every stage of the project life. Thus the concept, requirements gathering, systems specification, software development, software testing, rollout, and maintenance phases of the SDLC translate into corresponding tollgates. The introduction of tollgates from the very beginning of a software project improves the chance that it will be successful project.

Six Sigma Tools for SDLC

The Six Sigma approach is most helpful in a software development project in the concept and requirements gathering phase. Problem definition and stakeholder analysis provide great tools for developing the project concept. CTQ analysis helps in clearly identifying the requirements. This approach also ensures that the primary project focus is on the deliverables and not the technology. Process mapping plays an important part in any Six Sigma project. Mapping the process helps in understanding the problem space and boundaries.

Most Six Sigma tools are suited for discovering data relationships by quantitative or physical methods. Such relationships are typically represented as algebraic or other forms of equations. These equations define the relationships between the goal (Y) and the variables affecting it (Xs). In software development, data relationships are generally easily discovered via interviewing and process mapping. Data flow diagrams, entity relationship diagrams, and object models are commonly used tools to represent data in software projects. These diagrams represent the data that the software will manage, whereas the Six Sigma approach tries to find the data that defines the problem.

The one software development area where Six Sigma methodology falls short is in measuring a system architecture for quality. Peer reviews and simulations provide a way to review the quality of an architecture design with respect to the CTQs. However, these tend to be subjective in their approach and are not easily transferable from one project to the next. These approaches also do not ensure optimization.

To translate: we figure out what the customer needs (problem definition/stakeholder analysis.) We figure out the relevant variables (discovering data relationships) and flowchart it (process mapping.) Then we solve the problem. Then we measure the results to make sure that the problem's actually been solved, not just papered over (measuring for quality.) If you think that sounds like what every software engineer does anyway, then you aren't an MBA!

Unfortunately, though, there are a lot of industries and companies where even that incredibly basic idea of data-driven decision making and approaches really haven't taken hold too much. That's where Six Sigma and other, similar systems come in. SS is a bunch of simple tools and basic analysis flowcharts that consultants can come in to tell management to implement, independent of the industry. Often, they can find bottlenecks or waste in the process and fix them. I remember one case study of a naval shipyard where they shaved months off of construction time by changing their paperwork system. In short, they actually can have some pretty impressive results!

The thing is, though, that you could get results just as good by going and talking to the engineers who are signing all of the papers and asking them what the holdup is. Six Sigma is a top down system. The goal is to highlight problems so management can see them. Then the consultants can suggest solutions and management can feel like they helped the situation (even though they were the ones who probably caused the problems in the first place by demanding lower downtime, not providing money for repairs, requiring levels of bureaucracy, etc.)

Let's contrast with the Toyota Production System, one of the original and most famous lean manufacturing implementations. One of the most notable things about TPS is that everyone at the company, from management down to the assemblers putting bolts on cars, has the responsibility to find problems and suggest solutions. The famous example here is that anybody on the production line can pull a cord or push a button and stop the entire production line if they see an issue with a car. The goal is to get everyone at the company involved in continuous improvement. TPS does have standardized approaches, too, but it's generally less structured, and relies more on common sense than on blind application of standard formulas or tools. Toyota also had a culture where the managers all came from the actual operations: they knew cars and knew manufacturing, so everyone spoke the same language and they could build a system that worked for them.

A few years back, I remember hearing that Toyota was having issues with that system. There was new management who were putting a ton of pressure on people not to stop the line, and they were having a lot more quality issues. Good management is invisible: its job is to facilitate the people who actually do the work. Bad management gets in the way and ruins everything.

Thus concludes more information than any sane person (read: non-MBA) will ever want to know about Six Sigma.

EDIT:
Oh, to be clear as well: Six Sigma the management principle doesn't even really use statistical capability like is in its name, which is a manufacturing concept. Six Sigma has nothing to do with six sigma. So it's not like they're trying to calculate Ppk for the number of lines of code you write versus the number that have errors or anything. When I say Six Sigma "tools", what I'm referring to is stuff like this. It's something obvious (identify the ultimate rather than proximal cause for a problem) that's been turned into a buzzword piece of dogma that can be applied without understanding why that's important.

Karia has a new favorite as of 00:55 on Nov 9, 2019

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Goon Danton posted:

People have been desperately trying to find ways to measure software production with hard numbers as long as software production has been a thing. Software developers are really loving expensive so they want to wring as much money out of them as possible. The snag is that this isn't, say, widgets rolling off of a production line and you're also measuring the output of tremendous nerds with math skills that are going to find a way to optimize whatever number you measure as the best to the detriment of everybody else so good loving luck. It's even more problematic when the decisions are made by people who have never written a line of code in their lives and can't be bothered to ask the code monkeys because, hey, how hard even is programming, anyway?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Somfin posted:

MBAs are a hell of a drug

I once had an apparently fresh MBA regional manager talk about workers on the factory floor.

We were a bookstore chain.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Workin' at the sales factory.

Kei Technical
Sep 20, 2011

ToxicSlurpee posted:

People have been desperately trying to find ways to measure software production with hard numbers as long as software production has been a thing. Software developers are really loving expensive so they want to wring as much money out of them as possible. The snag is that this isn't, say, widgets rolling off of a production line and you're also measuring the output of tremendous nerds with math skills that are going to find a way to optimize whatever number you measure as the best to the detriment of everybody else so good loving luck. It's even more problematic when the decisions are made by people who have never written a line of code in their lives and can't be bothered to ask the code monkeys because, hey, how hard even is programming, anyway?

The double hilarious thing is that programmers are wildly expensive, but the hyper rational people employing them usually refuse to hire dedicated tech writers and project managers, who are cheaper and better at what they do than programmers

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

CMS posted:

The double hilarious thing is that programmers are wildly expensive, but the hyper rational people employing them usually refuse to hire dedicated tech writers and project managers, who are cheaper and better at what they do than programmers

Testing is another vital element that managers skimp on in many ways.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
It basically boils down to the reason programmers are so expensive is because companies would rather pay them 150% to do three jobs than pay three people at 100%, and then get all pissy when it turns out you get bad code out of that process.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

The Cheshire Cat posted:

It basically boils down to the reason programmers are so expensive is because companies would rather pay them 150% to do three jobs than pay three people at 100%, and then get all pissy when it turns out you get bad code out of that process.

What can I say: we're flexible and we're deluded enough to think we can do everything.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I find it simultaneously hilarious and depressing that every single time I've said "yeah it's fine now and you can skimp on that but if you don't fix it you're going to spend more down the road. Maybe next year, maybe not, but that's going to be an expensive mess to clean up" it's come true.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I once made the mistake of breaking down my estimate for time to fix something (with a non-technical manager) in a way that included testing time and got the incredulous response "why does it need testing?"

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

These new Lego sets are getting out of hand.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Somfin posted:

I once made the mistake of breaking down my estimate for time to fix something (with a non-technical manager) in a way that included testing time and got the incredulous response "why does it need testing?"

If you were a good programmer you'd just write good code that doesn't need testing. Going to fire you and hire the first programmer i can find who can assure me they never test their code, not ever.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Testing is not a value‐adding process.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Housapodes

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Platystemon posted:

Testing is not a value‐adding process.

Triggered

It even happens in manufacturing. I work in an industry that is intolerant of failure. This means that any changes are incremental and incredibly slow to develop. In a bid to speed development things up management decided to take a page out of software development, with the idea that you make some big assumptions early and test them - the implication being you might fail, but you'll learn a lot earlier. "Take risks" is even in the process map. We were wary, but went along with it because hey it'll allow big jumps.

Well, we did that, and the part exploded, but we knew what happened and how to fix it... but management just saw a failed part and assumed we had no idea what we were doing. Even worse, one guy told our ultimate customer during a visit that "this entire test was ill-conceived" and did everything he could to throw us under the bus.

This same guy did the equivalent of pointing at our flagship product, the equivalent of a high-performance top fuel dragster, and ask (in front of the customer) if it was [like a Model T] :cripes:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Covering your rear end with massive paper trails is extremely important.

Getting the bosses to acknowledge your misgivings in writing and sign off on the idiocy anyway can literally save your career.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Somfin posted:

That is a mistake. Testing is not separable from writing the code. That’s like trying to break out “change control flow” or “think about algorithm”. Testing is pervasive throughout development, even if it’s informally structured. Creating artifacts to assist with future testing can sometimes be distinctly analyzed, but only if you assume that “figure out what’s important to test” isn’t a meaningful endeavour.

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

Subjunctive posted:

That is a mistake. Testing is not separable from writing the code. That’s like trying to break out “change control flow” or “think about algorithm”. Testing is pervasive throughout development, even if it’s informally structured. Creating artifacts to assist with future testing can sometimes be distinctly analyzed, but only if you assume that “figure out what’s important to test” isn’t a meaningful endeavour.

Seems somebody hasn't heard the good news of the waterfall model.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

klafbang posted:

Seems somebody hasn't heard the good news of the waterfall model.

the waterfall model does not contain good news!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Those sure are some error bars.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

How do internet people keep taking good ideas like "maybe I should look at my phone less" and building them into something that makes me hate humanity

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
There certainly are people who derive pleasure from CBT, that's for sure.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Paladinus posted:

:hmmyes:

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

calcified beetle thorax

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Paladinus posted:

Yeah but most of us only need one dose to make us stop doing... well, anything, really.