Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

Steve Yun posted:

Also dozens of times I’ve seen ladders and ropes right next to each other, the newer one intentionally being placed there so that they can steal likes from the other one

Some if these will be intentional, true. Although I bet a lot of these could have been placed by both players before either had connected the area up. Several times I've been trekking back from somewhere to find my ladder with two others either side of mine that I couldn't see before I connected that area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
It’s a lot harder to troll people with fake messages compared to Dark Souls because anyone can easily use their scanner to see if there is indeed a treasure up ahead

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Oops I accidentally just played this for 8 hours straight.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.
I think one of the reasons the trekking didn't seem bad or get boring is, you only have to traverse an area one or twice before unlocking it and then you get everyone else's miscellaneous equipment lying around to help you get around much faster.

I mean I think I would have bounced off this game real quick if I could only use the stuff I'd placed all game because it would turn into a total grind every time I left an underground shelter.

I wonder if some reviewers had a worse time due to less ladders, ropes and roads placed by others there were with less total people playing.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Ok. I will admit I am intrigued by Death Stranding.
But is it fun? Because I am down with weirdness but if the gameplay is just boring trudging through wilderness...pass.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Phenotype posted:

What exactly are the mechanics on the BTs? So far it seems like I go into bullet time for a second when they're around, and then I crouch and keep walking and hope they don't see me. And then sometimes there will be a bunch of black splashes that home in on me and then I'm in a big black mud puddle with mud zombies trying to pull me down and I mash square and walk out of the puddle. This hurts my cargo(?).

Please note that I am making some guesses here.

When it starts raining there's a slowdown. This is accompanied by a mechanical sound of your hood going up. This is 'normal' timefall.
There's a slowdown when the BTs manifest. This is accompanied by the rain turning black. Usually you will be close enough to one that the next slowdown/cutscene occurs immediately.
There's a slowdown when you come close enough to the BTs for BB to start detecting them. This is accompanied by the oradek popping up and changing shape.
The oradek will now point in the direction of the nearest BT. The faster it claps/blinks the closer the BT is. You can ping the oradek to see hazy outlines of them. (Here's where you use grenades.)
The oradek might turn orange, this probably means that a BT has spotted you. That would be a good time to hold your breath, which uses your right hand. (So, you can't do it while holding your straps.)
If close enough, and you do not hold your breath, the BT will move towards you.
If a BT touches you a medium puddle of oil will form and arms will try to drag you down. Hold on to your straps and press square to break out. If your cargo is hit by the arms it may be damaged, and depending on it's position thrown free. If you break out of the circle of oil, that specific BT will leave you alone.
If the arms drag you down, all your remaining cargo will take a bit of damage. (I'm actually guessing this is due to tripping impact.) Then you will be yanked backward to the center of a large pool of oil.
This is when the 'catcher' BT appears, and the arms stop bothering you. If you flee to the edge of the large pool of oil the BTs will disperse. The timefall may even go away completely (but I"m guessing this only happens in plot sequences).
I assume that if the catcher actually pounces you in the large oil pool, you are drawn into the seam and forced to fight it. I've never seen this happen.
If you escape the BTs unscathed, this is signified by another cutscene where the oradek does a hand gesture (like a thumbs up, but I think this varies) before switching back to it's standard configuration and BB giggles.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
My speed grade is really bad, 6. I can't seem to improve it. I made a couple of standard runs at TOP SPEED ON A ROAD ON MY BIKE and it didn't budge. Any ideas?

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

ChrisBTY posted:

But is it fun? Because I am down with weirdness but if the gameplay is just boring trudging through wilderness...pass.

I don't give a poo poo if you play it or not.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

redreader posted:

My speed grade is really bad, 6. I can't seem to improve it. I made a couple of standard runs at TOP SPEED ON A ROAD ON MY BIKE and it didn't budge. Any ideas?

You have to do a run where the game cares about delivery time for it to gain likes.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

redreader posted:

Speed is only affected by time-sensitive deliveries, as a measure of how much time is remaining on the clock when you complete the delivery. It doesn't matter how fast you get normal deliveries done, outside of the whole percentage of difference between the route you took and the shortest route thing.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

ChrisBTY posted:

What if the trudging through wilderness is actually fun though?

Obviously it seems to be a love it or hate it thing, but I’m honestly finding it to be one of the most enjoyable games I’ve ever played in my life. I can’t guarantee you’ll like it but I can guarantee what whatever you think it is, it’s probably not.

net cafe scandal posted:

I don't give a poo poo if you play it or not.

Man, you are just frequently hostile as hell itt. calm down.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

veni veni veni posted:

What if the trudging through wilderness is actually fun though?

Obviously it seems to be a love it or hate it thing, but I’m honestly finding it to be one of the most enjoyable games I’ve ever played in my life. I can’t guarantee you’ll like it but I can guarantee what whatever you think it is, it’s probably not.

Thank you very much for this.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Women drivers!

https://twitter.com/laynalazar/status/1193288749154615296?s=21

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I think I'm near the end of chapter 3 and Christ I love this game.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

ChrisBTY posted:

It's both.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Spite posted:

the way the multiplayer incentivizes working together is really kinda genius.

i made a bridge to a little island/sandbar in a river. later i came back and someone else had made a bridge over the other part and now i can just haul rear end on my bike. those moments are awesome.

If that other guy’s name is Tacomania, that’s my bridge. :allears:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Back Hack posted:

If that other guy’s name is Tacomania, that’s my bridge. :allears:

OR SteveYun.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I started playing this via a redbox rental.

The wife has never seen a Kojima game before and has no idea what she is in for. She is both horrified and interested in the story. One of her quips was "This is terrible, don't you dare let BB get hurt, he's just so cute I can't stand it, I want to protect this virtual baby"

I personally am finding the controls clunky and a bit frustrating to have to either constantly hold R2/L2 or deal with the QTEs, and at the same time find it kind of relaxing in a sense.

Don't like the BT encounters though, could do without those, especially if I'm carrying a full load of goodies, it's then hard to see the "warning" indicator from BB. I wish there was a way to tell what area is a BT area so I can just avoid the whole thing.

Also is there any point to getting max 5* with a zone, or is just barely filled in 5* enough? I got a hat from the first node.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
If you press R3 the camera switches to Sam’s left shoulder so you can see the odradeck

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

GreenBuckanneer posted:

The wife has never seen a Kojima game before and has no idea what she is in for. She is both horrified and interested in the story. One of her quips was "This is terrible, don't you dare let BB get hurt, he's just so cute I can't stand it, I want to protect this virtual baby"

I personally am finding the controls clunky and a bit frustrating to have to either constantly hold R2/L2 or deal with the QTEs, and at the same time find it kind of relaxing in a sense.

Don't like the BT encounters though, could do without those, especially if I'm carrying a full load of goodies, it's then hard to see the "warning" indicator from BB. I wish there was a way to tell what area is a BT area so I can just avoid the whole thing.

Also is there any point to getting max 5* with a zone, or is just barely filled in 5* enough? I got a hat from the first node.

Minor spoiler but you will get a way to see when timefall is gonna happen.

Dealing with bts is really easy. Just pay attention to the indicator and walk around them. If one gets close and it turns orange then hold your breath and crouch walk. You’re good to breathe again when it turns white.

I’ve only ever been caught once and that was while I was on a bike and had no clue how to get out of the black goop (I realized later you can boost out).

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

watching the road network in chapter 3's area get built, half by me and half by other players, is surprisingly satisfying. as is bombing down them on a trike once they're completed. gently caress you, mules, i'm in and out of your territory by the time you've pinged my cargo!

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Press R3 to shift the camera so you can see the odradek easier.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

homeless snail posted:

By the end of chapter 3, I was feeling a little down on the game because with the truck and exoskeletons and floaters and all that poo poo the game really does dramatically change like the reviewers say. Except they say for the better but for me it was kinda for the worse cause it does a lot to trivialize everything I'd liked up until that point. Until I took all that poo poo for granted and out of complacency broke down in the middle of nowhere with nothing and a pile of garbage to move and no good way to do it. I realize now that the stakes can go way higher when that stuff is used properly. It's Good

I was soo poor once, that I had to start using these sandweels plant has footwear. The mecnanic is well designed, so the first time you get to an area you have to fight upwards, but once you connected it, everything gets easier.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Is the gameplay really just fetch quests? Can someone summarize the plot? I probably won't play this for a long while

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Zzulu posted:

Is the gameplay really just fetch quests? Can someone summarize the plot? I probably won't play this for a long while

Yes. No. Ok.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Reading this thread and watching some people playing is forcing me to go buy and play my first Kojima game ever. If it sucks I will blame all of you.

On another note, doesn't it seem a bit convenient that many times a player is just running out of power and a charging station happens to be there or a bridge or any other placed constructions? Do you think some of them are placed by the game itself and then they slap on the name of a random player? Just seems a bit too perfect to me.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
It makes sense because it means someone ran into the exact same problem at the same place

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Raged posted:

Reading this thread and watching some people playing is forcing me to go buy and play my first Kojima game ever. If it sucks I will blame all of you.

On another note, doesn't it seem a bit convenient that many times a player is just running out of power and a charging station happens to be there or a bridge or any other placed constructions? Do you think some of them are placed by the game itself and then they slap on the name of a random player? Just seems a bit too perfect to me.

No. It's because people like me always carry loads of PCCs and drop them where we need them. It's organic and beautiful. I have back tracked many time on a hard run to build vital escape infrastructure like bridges. I also spent about an hour building some roads that weren't touched by anyone because I got a truck and loaded it with all my stored materials.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

Romes128 posted:

Minor spoiler but you will get a way to see when timefall is gonna happen.

Dealing with bts is really easy. Just pay attention to the indicator and walk around them. If one gets close and it turns orange then hold your breath and crouch walk. You’re good to breathe again when it turns white.

I’ve only ever been caught once and that was while I was on a bike and had no clue how to get out of the black goop (I realized later you can boost out).

on the other hand all BTs must die in a cloud of my blood!

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

JBP posted:

Yes. No. Ok.

What a great post mate

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Zzulu posted:

The game thrown a challenge to you. "get this packages to place X". Getting to that place include traversing complicate terrain that can damage the packager or get lost. Enemies that can steal it. Supernatural enemies that can do unspeacable things. So you plan a route and try to execute it.
You know in some videogames just moving around in fun?, this is the case with DS, walking with a lot of weight on you is like a minigame, but you can play it withouth paying attention to it, you end playing it by muscle memory.
Every delivery generally advance the story, and you know more about this world and the people in it. Theres a big story arch about reconstruction and these that oppose it.

Did I mentioned that the world is so beatiful you believe you are looking at animated postcard from planets in our solar system?, also after the first delivery to a place all the stuff people created is visible, and the social aspect of the game unlocks for that area, and is taming the wilderness, rebuild civilization.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I know this might be controversial, but

Death Stranding is fun.

UnintelGen
Sep 5, 2018

Wonderful 100, Capitalism fails again!

Team, engaging Unlimited Funds!
I probably won't play this until the PC release but I've been bouncing back hard from the initial pessimistic reaction the game first garnered. I can't believe Kojima took probably the most ancillary aspect of MGSV, the nuke disposing, and turned into a whole game. Like, that's some madman poo poo right there. I'm not much a fan of social element focused games but if I had to make an exception it'd probably be this one.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

just got to chapter 3. where the gently caress do I find another bike

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Mandrel posted:

just got to chapter 3. where the gently caress do I find another bike

Connect up the area.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
I'm near the end of chapter 3(I think) and after how much new equipment and options the game has thrown at me this chapter, if chapter 4 really does change things up dramatically I can't wait to get there.

JBP posted:

Connect up the area.

That's the answer to almost every question that's been asked in the thread so far.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Friendly Fire posted:

I'm near the end of chapter 3(I think) and after how much new equipment and options the game has thrown at me this chapter, if chapter 4 really does change things up dramatically I can't wait to get there.

That's the answer to almost every question that's been asked in the thread so far.

Make sure you feed the engineer and the time farm enough. They have good upgrades.

Probably the others too.

----

PSA: All vehicles have a turbo, and the cars have a "jump" you can use to unstuck them.

I had a vehicle stuck, completelly, and I rescued it by building a energy generator next to it so it could bounce on it somehow to unstuck it.

---

PSA: Remember to spray the deliveries before you deliver them so they are in perfect conditions.

Tei fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Nov 10, 2019

Lanth
Jun 15, 2007
Lipstick Apathy

Tei posted:

PSA: Remember to spray the deliveries before you deliver them so they are in perfect conditions.

Seconded, also check your cargo if you're feeling lazy like me and just entrust a bunch of lost or stolen cargo, hit the submit button too fast and there was a stolen package for some movie director in there.

Sometimes you don't get a direct order but find packages in the wild and that places a new bunker on your map, at least that's how I found the Ludens Fan I'm not gonna spoil.

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Feeling smug walking to the weather station. All loaded down with extra resources picked up along the way. Trip and fall in a fast moving stream, everything goes plummetting down the mountainside including the fragile story package. Game Over. :negative:

Never thought I could feel so invested in little digital boxes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!

Tei posted:

I'm gonna say don't actually do this. You aren't graded on container quality, you're graded on item quality. The spray is good for keeping up the container if you're taking a rest partway through after passing through timefall or are on a long multipart journey. Container quality "protects" the item. If you've already arrived it's not like you're going to run into anything damaging in the three steps to the terminal, and making the container pristine does nothing for you at that point. It's only matters what's inside.