Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Is there an easy way to tell my AppleTV to output sound into my AirPods without going 3 levels deep into the settings app every time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kristneder
Jul 21, 2006

:siren:This is my first post.:siren:

Boris Galerkin posted:

Is there an easy way to tell my AppleTV to output sound into my AirPods without going 3 levels deep into the settings app every time?

I’m pretty sure you can control that in the new control center.
Hold down the tv button to access it.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Kristneder posted:

I’m pretty sure you can control that in the new control center.
Hold down the tv button to access it.

There’s also a way if hold down one of the buttons during play back (play button?) where a menu pops up where you can configure the output device.

Edit: maybe they got rid of this in the newest release for the control center method, I’m not sure

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Turns out you just pull down the top menu and then goto the audio tab.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Violator posted:

There’s also a way if hold down one of the buttons during play back (play button?) where a menu pops up where you can configure the output device.

Edit: maybe they got rid of this in the newest release for the control center method, I’m not sure

You have to hold down play/pause from the home screen.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

phosdex posted:

I use Infuse and Plex mostly out of habit now. I have Infuse set to not autoplay and Plex is for when I do want autoplay next on. I guess I haven't tried in a long time, but Infuse used to at least autoplay next episodes immediately. I prefer Plex's countdown that can be cancelled.

Once in a while, I run into an x265 file that stutters to hell in the tvOS Plex app but has zero issues with Infuse. No idea why - other x265 files are fine in Plex.

Because of that, I still default to Infuse. It hasn’t ever given me problems so no real reason to pivot back.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Disney+ app is out and I gave it a spin first thing this morning before their servers got destroyed....most if not all of the modern-ish movie content appears to be 4K and HDR. Interface is a bit messy. There is absolutely no rhyme or reason to the order anything is presented in, it's just a clusterfuck of content thrown into the app (albeit in its correct category....Star Wars, Pixar, Marvel, etc). The only relatively cool organizational thing they did is if you click on search, below the search bar is a Disney Through the Decades kinda thing where each row is a different decade from like the 1920's-30's to 2010's. It's kinda nice but again, within each decade there is no rhyme or reason to the order or organization of movies/tv shows.

That being said, I know there is no streaming service that actually has a good/intuitive interface, but it seems like Disney kind of has a built in advantage where they have these movie franchises like Star Wars, Marvel, Pirates of the Caribbean, or hell even the Pixar films that they can just present sequentially in the order that they came out and for anyone between the ages of like 25-50 (likely their target audience for this service) will have experienced them in that order and so it will make sense to them.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Have they ever released any more details about the Disney/Hulu/ESPN bundle? I never understood why that seemed limited to ad-supported Hulu.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Big Huski Boi posted:

Have they ever released any more details about the Disney/Hulu/ESPN bundle? I never understood why that seemed limited to ad-supported Hulu.

What kind of details? I signed up for the bundle this morning. I was already a Hulu and ESPN+ subscriber so Disney+ was basically free (although I wasn't sure how it was gonna work since I was already subscribed so I cancelled both last month and they both expired last week).

edit: Looks like I didn't need to do that, oh well.

Mahoning fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Nov 12, 2019

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Mahoning posted:

What kind of details? I signed up for the bundle this morning. I was already a Hulu and ESPN+ subscriber so Disney+ was basically free (although I wasn't sure how it was gonna work since I was already subscribed so I cancelled both last month and they both expired last week).

Can you get ad-free Hulu?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Big Huski Boi posted:

Can you get ad-free Hulu?

Nope lol.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Well, reading the T&C's I think if you ALREADY have an ad free Hulu account and you sign up for the bundle, it might actually credit you every month for the price of regular (not ad-free) Hulu?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Hm, I have ad-free Hulu and free from Verizon Disney+. I'm gonna see it'll tell me how much I'd have to pay for ESPN+ at this point, since if it's like $2, I'll totally get it.

E: Reddit explains how ad-free Hulu works, so yeah, it's $7 to get Disney+ and ESPN+. Doesn't say how it works if you only need to add one part.

E2: So what I'm gathering is that my Disney+ charge of $5.99 is billed to Verizon who charged is to me for $0, leaving $7 being billed to me for the bundle. Having a linked Hulu account gives me an account credit of $5.99, which means I'm on the hook for $1.01 for ESPN+. Signed up for that.

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Nov 12, 2019

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

I guess I'm gonna find out later. I have ESPN+ and ad-free Hulu both billed through the App Store but tied to the same email address.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Jeff a Goldblum is loving amazing. What a guy.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Feenix posted:

Jeff a Goldblum is loving amazing. What a guy.

Best not look him up in the news cycle.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

I signed up for the bundle. It gives my next billing date of today, so whenever they get around to that, I'll update what they actually charge me.
Update: My math was wrong. I am being charged one penny for ESPN+.

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Nov 13, 2019

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

I signed up for the bundle. It gives my next billing date of today, so whenever they get around to that, I'll update what they actually charge me.

So yeah I think what happens is they kind of run a check on the back end and then they'll send you another email soon that has the final billing amount. I signed up around 6am this morning, got an email like yours saying my next bill date was today, and then got another email at around 10am telling me that I'll be billed the $12.99+ tax.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Best not look him up in the news cycle.

I looked. What am I missing besides him admitting he has a hand fetish?

I also saw some headline about Woody Allen and Jeff being quoted as stating Presuming Innocence until proven guilty...
But I haven’t read it to hear if anything worse was said...

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Subjective question : Any reason to look into Hulu if I already have Netflix, HBO, Amazon and now Disney plus ?

Gotta give it to Disney, the amount of content at start for Disney Plus is pretty drat good, and decent range.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

Subjective question : Any reason to look into Hulu if I already have Netflix, HBO, Amazon and now Disney plus ?

Gotta give it to Disney, the amount of content at start for Disney Plus is pretty drat good, and decent range.

I'd say no, probably not. One nice benefit is NBC and ABC programming is up on Hulu the next day. And there's some decent original series like Handmaid's Tale and Castle Rock. But there's also a ton of overlap with some other services, like every Star Trek episode ever (minus Discovery, obviously). I've gotten rid of Amazon and replaced it with Hulu though.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Is there a way to get the Spotify app to switch to screensavers automatically after a few minutes when playing a playlist?

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

...Spotify app...
Out of the loop and had no idea this was finally a thing. So thanks OP!

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
It's extremely good and makes me happy.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

In tvOS 13.3 you will be able to change it so the TV app shows Up Next on your home screen again, instead of just advertising their own shows.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Endless Mike posted:

Hm, I have ad-free Hulu and free from Verizon Disney+. I'm gonna see it'll tell me how much I'd have to pay for ESPN+ at this point, since if it's like $2, I'll totally get it.

E: Reddit explains how ad-free Hulu works, so yeah, it's $7 to get Disney+ and ESPN+. Doesn't say how it works if you only need to add one part.

E2: So what I'm gathering is that my Disney+ charge of $5.99 is billed to Verizon who charged is to me for $0, leaving $7 being billed to me for the bundle. Having a linked Hulu account gives me an account credit of $5.99, which means I'm on the hook for $1.01 for ESPN+. Signed up for that.

Hey, how did you do this, again? I'm in a similar boat, where Verizon's giving me a free year of Disney+ and I already have Hulu. Do I redeem the Verizon year and then get the bundle, or?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Pirate Jet posted:

Hey, how did you do this, again? I'm in a similar boat, where Verizon's giving me a free year of Disney+ and I already have Hulu. Do I redeem the Verizon year and then get the bundle, or?

Redeem the Verizon promo first. It'll make you create a D+ account. Once that's done, go into your D+ account and activate the bundle. Make sure you use the same email account as your Hulu account.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

https://www.reddit.com/r/DisneyPlus/comments/duhmw6/disney_hulu_espn_bundle_existing_subscribers_keep/f7bxqzt/

This guy in that Reddit thread posted a screenshot of an email he got on his first bill date. He signed up for the bundle with the same email address he used for his separate ad-free Hulu account, and when they calculated the bill they credited him for the price of Hulu, making his bundle price 1 cent. So I think the move is to sign up for Hulu ad-free separately, then use the bundle for Disney+ and ESPN+. However - this means there is virtually no difference in price between the regular Disney+ bundle, which has ad-supported Hulu, and doing that same bundle manually with ad-free Hulu. Which doesn't make any sense to me.

I have ad-free Hulu and ESPN+ separately, and I signed up for non-bundle Disney+ with the same email address. So I will just wait and see what my first bill looks like.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Big Huski Boi posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/DisneyPlus/comments/duhmw6/disney_hulu_espn_bundle_existing_subscribers_keep/f7bxqzt/

This guy in that Reddit thread posted a screenshot of an email he got on his first bill date. He signed up for the bundle with the same email address he used for his separate ad-free Hulu account, and when they calculated the bill they credited him for the price of Hulu, making his bundle price 1 cent. So I think the move is to sign up for Hulu ad-free separately, then use the bundle for Disney+ and ESPN+. However - this means there is virtually no difference in price between the regular Disney+ bundle, which has ad-supported Hulu, and doing that same bundle manually with ad-free Hulu. Which doesn't make any sense to me.

I have ad-free Hulu and ESPN+ separately, and I signed up for non-bundle Disney+ with the same email address. So I will just wait and see what my first bill looks like.
That guy seems to have had some billing mixup which I certainly wouldn't try to fix, but I also wouldn't count on it working for you. It *should* be charging $7 for the bundle. I got the $0.01 price since I'm getting D+ free from Verizon and already have ad-free Hulu. Worth a shot, I guess!

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

That guy seems to have had some billing mixup which I certainly wouldn't try to fix, but I also wouldn't count on it working for you. It *should* be charging $7 for the bundle. I got the $0.01 price since I'm getting D+ free from Verizon and already have ad-free Hulu. Worth a shot, I guess!

Did it reference your existing Hulu and/or ESPN+ subscriptions right when you signed up, or did you have to wait for your first bill?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Big Huski Boi posted:

Did it reference your existing Hulu and/or ESPN+ subscriptions right when you signed up, or did you have to wait for your first bill?
When I signed up for the bundle, it made me sign into Hulu, and that was that.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
So I didn’t actually go back to figure out if it was the specific movies I was watching or the different apps I used, but I have an LG tv with WebOS which also offers Disney+ and I was watching Cars with my son and paused it and checked out the subtitle options and it had a whole menu where you could change the font color and size, the box color and opacity, and it was generally just cool to see so many options in terms of subtitles. Later I was watching the Mandaloreon on my AppleTV and it just had standard language options for the subtitles.

My gut was telling me that the AppleTV handles subtitles and doesn’t allow that level of customization.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
I think ATV has subtitle options in the accessibility settings.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

When I signed up for the bundle, it made me sign into Hulu, and that was that.

Oh, OK - so you're supposed to sign up for the bundle even though you already have Hulu? I was under the impression that I'd just sign up for the non-bundle subscription and it would figure out I had a Hulu account.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Big Huski Boi posted:

Oh, OK - so you're supposed to sign up for the bundle even though you already have Hulu? I was under the impression that I'd just sign up for the non-bundle subscription and it would figure out I had a Hulu account.
No, you sign up for D+, then add on the bundle. If you don't explicitly sign up for the bundle, you don't get the bundle.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

I had Hulu but not ESPN and signed up for the bundle. How do I watch ESPN? My email won’t log me into ESPN.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Ultimate Mango posted:

I had Hulu but not ESPN and signed up for the bundle. How do I watch ESPN? My email won’t log me into ESPN.

You probably need to create an ESPN account using the email address your Hulu and Disney+ use.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Ultimate Mango posted:

Just to be sure you know is ESPN+, not regular ESPN. You still need a TV subscription to watch true ESPN.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
I’ve gotten by for a long time with my atv gen 3 but I think with Disney+ I’m needing an upgrade, right? Because it only comes through the App Store?

Assuming I do need one, I've got just an old nothing-special 42" LCD - which compatible atv should I look for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

I mean it all depends on budget and what deals are out, but I got my mom the 4K even though she has a 1080p set