Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
I didn't take a picture but I got a bolt out with an ez out. The other bolt broke a drill bit and then somehow I had the start of two holes?? but got that one out with a spanner bit from my security screwdriver set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Cojawfee posted:

Axles thrown
rear end's free
Longing for, connected springs
Still its hard
hard to see
fragile welds, rusted beams

:bisonyes:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

Axles thrown
rear end's free
Longing for, connected springs
Still its hard
hard to see
fragile welds, rusted beams

Horrible Mechanical Failures: The Cars Aren't Alright

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
The off spring is a very appropriate band name

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

This is a core off a ford 6.ohno we got back from a shop at work. Shop isn't sure what exactly cause it, but they suspect that wastegate fuckery caused it to build boost until the turbo hosed itself. Or a dumbass owner with a lovely tune. Or just a worn out turbo self destructed. Either way, poo poo was hosed yo.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Elmnt80 posted:

This is a core off a ford 6.ohno we got back from a shop at work. Shop isn't sure what exactly cause it, but they suspect that wastegate fuckery caused it to build boost until the turbo hosed itself. Or a dumbass owner with a lovely tune. Or just a worn out turbo self destructed. Either way, poo poo was hosed yo.

Yes.

What a disaster of an engine.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
At least the 6.0 can be fixed, unlike the 6.4.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

sharkytm posted:

At least the 6.0 can be fixed, unlike the 6.4.

At least the 6.4 hits 50% of it's expected life, vs 10% in the maxxforce

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

What's the expected lifespan? Driving off the dealer's lot?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Colostomy Bag posted:

What's the expected lifespan? Driving off the dealer's lot?

B50 life on the 6.4 is 375,000 miles(lol) B50 on the Maxxforce 13 is 1.2 million miles(looooooooool)

B50 is the point in which 50% of engines will require major overhaul or repair.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Powershift posted:

B50 life on the 6.4 is 375,000 miles(lol) B50 on the Maxxforce 13 is 1.2 million miles(looooooooool)

B50 is the point in which 50% of engines will require major overhaul or repair.

Is there a page that lists this? Not trying to be all "gently caress you liar" or w/e I'm just curious about various engines in my life.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

wesleywillis posted:

Is there a page that lists this? Not trying to be all "gently caress you liar" or w/e I'm just curious about various engines in my life.

Companies list them for their heavy duty engines in the specs.

https://www.trucknews.com/features/cgi-block-longer-b50-life-highlight-upgrades-to-new-international-maxxforce-7/

The Maxxforce 7 is the ford 6.4, they claimed to raise the B50 from 350k to 500k in 2010 to counter the bad news of ford dropping them like the turd they are. The maxxfarce 11 and 13 they claim in the brocure to be 1.2m

really, 120k is a stretch. A truck with a maxxfarce engine literally goes for half the price of a truck with a cummins.

Shouldn't surprise you to know they play games with emissions as well.

e: from Hino':

The 365 is the 6 liter. the ISB is the 6.7 cummins

Powershift fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Oct 27, 2019

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
The biggest issue with the 6.4 is that the rebuild parts are insanely expensive., IIRC.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
7.3 or bust, really.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I'm not sure if boost went in, but the apex seals and more went out.

https://imgur.com/gallery/vfPUJz7

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
That is the most hosed up wankel I've ever seen. How does that happen, eccentric shaft failure at high RPM?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

God drat! I've never seen a rotary do that before. Nitrous explosion? I mean I've never seen a rotor housing broken open, much less the irons...

nene
Jan 5, 2007
Mad Scientist
I think the apex seals are still there, I can see them smeared round the outside of the rotor

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
https://i.imgur.com/v91oSCN.mp4

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

A severe case of suspended animation.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
My Dad, who is nearly deaf, called me the other morning saying he suspected he was losing the front left wheel bearing on his 2005 Nissan Titan, and that it sounded pretty bad. I had AAA tow it to my house. After dropping off Dad and moving the truck it was readily and immediately apparent that the horrible noises of something absolutely turbofucked were in fact coming from the rear axle. I got the truck up, and while taking the wheel off noticed a shitton of oil inside the wheel. So, bare minimum, axle seal and bearing are toast. Parking brake shoes and disc brake pads are soaked, so we get to do a brake job as well.

After reading up on the job, I had him order a new Timken (OEM) bearing set and pick up the seal from the dealer. I also rented a slide hammer hub puller and scheduled an appointment with my machinist buddy.

I didn't need it.

When I undid the four nuts holding the axle in, the fucker dropped a quarter inch. "Uh oh." "What?" "Dad, get the camera. HOLY poo poo! [repeat in awed voice several times]"

Click for big.

That smear of metal welded to the inner race is what used to be a couple roller bearings.

This is what was left inside the axle tube after I slid the axle out. Did I mention that it came out like the wet beer shits the morning after a night out at the bar? I was supposed to need that slide hammer! I ended up needing it for that outer race though, that fucker was in there solid.
You can see more roller bearing smeared onto the outer race, as well as all the loose nuggets of chowdered roller bearing, as well as a fine dust of the same.

I found the bearing cage! Again, all the powder is metal flakes and whatnot, not dirt. The shop rag I used to catch all the poo poo I brushed out of there looked like I'd dumped a cup of glitter on it.

The outer race came out in two pieces, left and middle. You can see what remains of the seal on the right. The spacer inboard of the bearing slid right off the shaft, and is under the rest of the poo poo, top middle. The rest of the debris is just chunks of bearing, bearing race, and disintegrated roller bearings.

I know this is tame for a lot of folks here, but this is by far the most extreme carnage I've ever personally laid hands on.

Side note: He was on the interstate at 80mph when he finally noticed the noise.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Nov 8, 2019

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

That's impressive.
Last time I lost a bearing on a non-C-clip axle, I also had the axle exit the car while turning, fortunately at slow speed while maneuvering around the parking lot trying to figure out what wheel the noise was coming from. Nowhere near as chowdered as that one, though. I'm stunned that the axle stayed put - probably a better retainer design that doesn't depend on the bearing being in one piece, unlike my Cutlass.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Beach Bum posted:

What was that phrase about skeletons in a trash can?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Zopotantor posted:

Subaru/Flannel chat: SKELETONS JERKING OFF IN A FILING CABINET

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Beach Bum posted:

Hate to be "that guy" but don't beat your old man up too much.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Beach Bum posted:

He's lucky he didn't lose the halfshaft at speed.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Colostomy Bag posted:

Hate to be "that guy" but don't beat your old man up too much.

Oh, I'm not. I just tell him he needs to wear his drat hearing aids so he doesn't go and get himself killed one of these days. "drat it man, I'm not ready to collect on this life insurance policy yet."

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Page 997 loving delivers. :perfect:

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Zopotantor posted:

It was "a skeleton jerking off in a trash can full of spoons." Someone posted a video of whatever failure was being discussed and that's exactly what it sounded like.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

I'm not sure if this is horrible mechanical failure, specifically, but here we go anyway.

I finished an avionics install and we were doing a lights/annunciators test when I smelled smoke. Shut power off, and the nose avionics junction box is the culprit. I pulled the cards out one by one until I found a likely suspect.

At some point in the past, previous installers had removed a piece of equipment. They just cut the harness off flush at the connector at the rack and capped all the wires. All but one. The lamp test wire was uncapped. A decade later, our install disturbed the harness enough that the one uncapped wire shorted to the airframe and let the smoke out of this circuit card.

$9000 from Cessna.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

I'm not sure if this is horrible mechanical failure, specifically, but here we go anyway.

I finished an avionics install and we were doing a lights/annunciators test when I smelled smoke. Shut power off, and the nose avionics junction box is the culprit. I pulled the cards out one by one until I found a likely suspect.

At some point in the past, previous installers had removed a piece of equipment. They just cut the harness off flush at the connector at the rack and capped all the wires. All but one. The lamp test wire was uncapped. A decade later, our install disturbed the harness enough that the one uncapped wire shorted to the airframe and let the smoke out of this circuit card.

$9000 from Cessna.

Jeeeesh. Can you go back through the MX log and sic the bill on them?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

$9000 from Cessna.

That is some good magic smoke, drat.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
That was close to magic fire.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

CommieGIR posted:

That was close to magic fire.

I'm gonna guess it WAS a fire until it self-extinguished. Ugly, and very lucky that it didn't catch anything else.

Also, don't you love aviation pricing? Probably a $250 board, assuming only the best relays, caps, connector, and diodes. $8750 in paperwork!

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Nov 10, 2019

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

I found a likely suspect.

Let's not jump to conclusions.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Godholio posted:

Well, yeah. I had to dig through the wiring diagram and figure out what D10 went to, find that wire, trace it, and find where it shorted. Then I could call that circuit board bad. The whole previous install was a back-alley dumpster fire abortion and I'm happy to have the plane out of my hangar (and working properly).

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Godholio posted:

Yeah, I don't even have my mat set up

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

So who pays for that?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

tactlessbastard posted:

Yeah, I don't even have my mat set up

I understood this reference!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Watch your Cornhole dude