Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\

wesleywillis posted:

Ok, so be honest, do you talk to this neighbour? Does he take care of his poo poo? is that a good snow blower, or does it just get left out to rot?

On the improbable chance this is actually him, it belonged to a fastidious old dude who has a huge garage and may have gotten a plow blade for his Deere tractor that he inexplicably owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

This is wild. That isn’t the guy but it was delivered today in the Eastern Cleve suburbs. What are the chances?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

wesleywillis posted:

Ok, so be honest, do you talk to this neighbour? Does he take care of his poo poo? is that a good snow blower, or does it just get left out to rot?

That thing was obviously kept in a garage.

And even if it hadn't been, my experience with nearly the same model is that as long as it starts and idles and doesn't make bad noises when the auger is engaged it's probably gonna keep on keeping on.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Motronic posted:

That thing was obviously kept in a garage.

And even if it hadn't been, my experience with nearly the same model is that as long as it starts and idles and doesn't make bad noises when the auger is engaged it's probably gonna keep on keeping on.

Yeah, it looks pretty pristine. That one skid shoe must have had some rust because it looks like it broke off during the loading process, the metal you can see is clean. Going to replace them with composite ones to avoid scraping or staining the concrete.

Now I just want to massacre some snow but with my luck we’ll get 10” all season.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Now I just want to massacre some snow but with my luck we’ll get 10” all season.

I bought a new tractor and plow this week. I'll assume little snow in our general area (I'm in eastern PA) is entirely based on the two of us.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Motronic posted:

I bought a new tractor and plow this week. I'll assume little snow in our general area (I'm in eastern PA) is entirely based on the two of us.

When I bought my snowblower everyone was like "pfft, watch, now that you bought one it'll never snow again". Which, like, good? If spending 600 bucks makes it never snow again, I'm not counting that as a loss.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Motronic posted:

Okay, so it really is the same thing. Probably a slightly different year/production, but all the major stuff is the same.

I agree, it's been a good machine. I've had mine for 4 or 5 years now. It starts easy and is surprisingly quiet. Adequate power for the job as a single stage.

E: oh yeah, I guess it's time to service it.

I don't have the fancy red rims on mine!

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Do we all own the same snowblower? :psyduck:

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy
Pro tip block your bucket up on scrap wood if you keep it in the garage.

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut
Finally used an impact driver for the first time today. Sold.

Are hydraulic ones worth the extra money, or the regular brushed DeWalt 20v for $99 probably the way to go?

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Impact anything is worth it. Haven't tried the hydraulic stuff but impact vs regular drill is night and day. My drill literally only makes holes now.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I really like how much quieter my m18 surge is than the prior impact drivers I was using

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Verman posted:

Impact anything is worth it. Haven't tried the hydraulic stuff but impact vs regular drill is night and day. My drill literally only makes holes now.

Hydraulic is so nice simply because your ears don't hate you after 20 seconds of using it.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

I've taken to wearing ear plugs whenever I've got power tools out. It helps me concentrate and the ears are happier too. I've never used a hydraulic driver, but they certainly look nice. Are they any easier on your hands?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Whats a good source for cheap tools in Canada?
Specifically I'm looking for Milwaukee M12 and M18 stuff.
I'm probably about to buy the m18 sawzall and m12 3/8" ratchet.
Home depot has both of them on sale, and in stock locally for less than what my two other usual sources are: Amazon and Blackrock tools.

So yeah, I' ve used Home Despot, Amazon and Blackrock for that poo poo in the past. Is there anywhere else? I'd prefer to not have to bother with dealing with exchange rates.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

So what do y'all think about this DeWalt toolkit at Costco?

I have a lot of bits and pieces of hand me down tool sets with missing pieces here and there .. I'd like to get one set that's whole to replace them. Does this look good or is there a better option? This is for home use and some light car maintenance.

e: for grammar

Pershing fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Nov 11, 2019

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Pershing posted:

So what do y'all think about this DeWalt toolkit at Costco?

I have a lot of bits and pieces of hand me down tools with missing pieces here and there .. I'd like to get one set that whole to replace them. Does this look good or is there a better option? This is for home use and some light car maintenance.

I like the looks of it for sure. A kit like that should be a good start for what you’re doing. Crescent and MasterForce make pretty similar kits, and I think they’d do just as well.

But yeah, get one of those, a hammer or two, some pliers and you’d be off to a fine start for hand tools.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Seems to be a pretty big sale on a ton of Bosch power tools on amazon et al. Like this really great jigsaw:https://www.amazon.com/Bosch-120-Vo...ps%2C164&sr=8-6

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
the barrel body grip one is fairly well discounted now too: (fuckin tool threads are going to make me go broke)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004323NQ4/

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

There is a barrel grip and D grip version of both the 572 and 470 and I can’t really figure out the difference. I think the 572 has the better blade guides and used to be made in Switzerland and is the really really good one? It’s the one I ordered, in any case.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

kid sinister posted:

You know, I have never looked through my shed and thought, "boy, I could really use that against government oppression."

Slugworth posted:

I can't even imagine another reason to own a pole saw.

Here's a second reason to own a pole saw: freeing deer who get their antlers stuck together.
https://www.woodtv.com/news/kent-county/video-man-uses-tree-saw-to-free-stuck-bucks/

fralbjabar
Jan 26, 2007
I am a meat popscicle.
Hey I'm looking for a new drill as my little 3/8" m12 drill is just not up to the task of running an auger for some home audio wiring I'm trying to do. I've already got some m18 batteries from a circular saw I got a while back so I figure it'd probably be easiest to get one of the milwaukee drills, but I've got no idea how much drill I actually need for what I'm doing and turns out they have a dizzying variety of options. I'm using a 1/2" auger for my hole drilling, but I can't really find anything suggesting how big of an auger a given drill will be able to drive except for the huge right angle ones (and those are definitely complete overkill). If I can get away with something smaller that would also be great, as my attic is a complete pain in the rear end to get around in (low roof, fully trussed) and the smaller of a lump I need to carry through that obstacle course the better. Anyone have strong opinions on particular drills?

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

fralbjabar posted:

Hey I'm looking for a new drill as my little 3/8" m12 drill is just not up to the task of running an auger for some home audio wiring I'm trying to do. I've already got some m18 batteries from a circular saw I got a while back so I figure it'd probably be easiest to get one of the milwaukee drills, but I've got no idea how much drill I actually need for what I'm doing and turns out they have a dizzying variety of options. I'm using a 1/2" auger for my hole drilling, but I can't really find anything suggesting how big of an auger a given drill will be able to drive except for the huge right angle ones (and those are definitely complete overkill). If I can get away with something smaller that would also be great, as my attic is a complete pain in the rear end to get around in (low roof, fully trussed) and the smaller of a lump I need to carry through that obstacle course the better. Anyone have strong opinions on particular drills?

The Milwaukee 18 volt regular drills in increasing torque are: regular brushed motor, brushless, and brushless Fuel. The Fuel claims 1200in/lb of torque, which should be more than enough to twist an auger (or your wrist.) The Fuel is like $120, so only slightly more than the other two, and almost double the torque of the brushed. For what it's worth, I mostly use the brushed version, and with one of the big batteries, I haven't stalled it yet. I imagine the Fuel with a big battery will do you right.

B-Nasty fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Nov 15, 2019

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

fralbjabar posted:

I've got the M12 1/2" Fuel and it's been the fuckin' jam so far. If you've already got M18 batteries available, then honestly I say go for whatever M18 1/2" that's fits best into your budget. I doubt you can go wrong there.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I'm considering getting an angle grinder, so I can use a wire wheel to debark some wood slabs. I already have some Makita 18V tools. How useful is ditching the cord on an angle grinder? Because the corded angle grinders are significantly cheaper than the battery-powered ones, but I'm willing to pay extra if I'm going to be tripping over the cord constantly otherwise.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

fralbjabar posted:

which batteries are you using for your m12 drill? if you're using the small compact ones you're probably missing out on the higher output that you can get from some of the higher capacity ones.

also i'm not sure but maybe an auger bit might require more force than an equivalent spade bit?

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
I'm so bummed I picked up one of those kutzall shaping discs for a grinder, it wasn't cheap for me at ~$60. Definitely wasn't as aggressive as I hoped, it took as much as one of those heavy duty flapwheel discs ($8 but wear out pretty quick) and I already noticed teeth missing after just a little work in some cedar and green alder. I was really hoping I was onto some amazing way to put holes into odd shaped wood easily.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I'm considering getting an angle grinder, so I can use a wire wheel to debark some wood slabs. I already have some Makita 18V tools. How useful is ditching the cord on an angle grinder? Because the corded angle grinders are significantly cheaper than the battery-powered ones, but I'm willing to pay extra if I'm going to be tripping over the cord constantly otherwise.

I have several I use all the time and they all have cords and do not bother me at all, but I don't find myself bothered by cords in general really. I am however really picky about how they are balanced and feel and what features they have so definitely get into that aspect of choosing. Some feel really weird and lovely to me

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I'm pretty much this:

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

I have several I use all the time and they all have cords and do not bother me at all, but I don't find myself bothered by cords in general really. I am however really picky about how they are balanced and feel and what features they have so definitely get into that aspect of choosing. Some feel really weird and lovely to me

I've had a Dewalt 4.5"? angle grinder for more than a decade and it's never let me down. Metabo used to make a really really fine one with a clutch we would run sawblades in instead of disks (DOES WORK BUT WOULD NOT RECOMMEND) to cut aluminum in the shipyard, but no idea if their quality has held up since they and Hitachi are the same now? Makita makes good ones as well.

They're all loud as gently caress so get some good ears too.

E: would add that angle grinders suck A LOT of juice. Right up there with shop vacs on surprisingly tripping breakers, so I would assume battery life/power would be disappointing in a battery tool, but I am constantly amazed how good the cordless stuff has gotten these days.

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

I'm so bummed I picked up one of those kutzall shaping discs for a grinder, it wasn't cheap for me at ~$60. Definitely wasn't as aggressive as I hoped, it took as much as one of those heavy duty flapwheel discs ($8 but wear out pretty quick) and I already noticed teeth missing after just a little work in some cedar and green alder. I was really hoping I was onto some amazing way to put holes into odd shaped wood easily.
I haven't used a kutzall but I hesitantly got an Arbortech wheel for mine recently and man is it magical. Not cheap either, but absolutely met and exceeded my expecations and did the thing I needed it to do. It leaves a surprisingly clean surface, at least in sapele and oak, but supposedly it does cut cleaner in harder woods, so I can't speak for it in cedar. Not nearly as terrifying to use as I thought it would be either. It's like a giant router bit and makes shavings instead of being a giant rasp.

Kaiser Schnitzel fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Nov 15, 2019

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Thirding the corded angle grinder. For de-barking I think you would be disappointed with a battery tool.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

If you want to steal bicycles though, cordless angle grinder is what you want

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Alright, thanks for the recommendations folks!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

B-Nasty posted:

The Milwaukee 18 volt regular drills in increasing torque are: regular brushed motor, brushless, and brushless Fuel. The Fuel claims 1200in/lb of torque, which should be more than enough to twist an auger (or your wrist.) The Fuel is like $120, so only slightly more than the other two, and almost double the torque of the brushed. For what it's worth, I mostly use the brushed version, and with one of the big batteries, I haven't stalled it yet. I imagine the Fuel with a big battery will do you right.

I'll second the Fuel. While the vast majority of jobs were no match for my old Milwaukee compact M18 drill, two 4.5" holes in a truck frame were one too many and it let the smoke out in a bad way.

The Fuel I replaced it with finished the job and hardly even got warm in the process.

fralbjabar
Jan 26, 2007
I am a meat popscicle.
Thanks for the drill recommendations all, I'll probably end up getting that 1/2" M18 Fuel drill as $120 is workable and sounds like it'll do what I need it to do. Also probably come in handy for building garden beds next spring.

I was using the auger because I had tried a spade bit before and it bogged and got stuck too, but when it does I can't just back it out like I can with the auger. And this is with the extended m12 batteries, I think the drill just isn't up for something this heavy - I think it's only supposed to put out about 250 inch pounds, and it's probably approaching a decade old by now so I'm sure it's lost some of its vigor with age and use.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I think this has been asked before, but, pressure washers? I think there was something about electric ones being considered weak by some but petrol ones being too much?

I don't need to cut through steel with this thing, just clean things and not be poo poo. Ease of storage, use, and transport more important than e.g. blasting through patio grime for 12 hours a day.

I never find myself tripping over the cable, but the cable on mine (Bosch) is about 6ft long or so, so I do find it very annoying to use on a ladder or what have you because of wrangling extensions.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

They're all loud as gently caress so get some good ears too.

100% on this.

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

'm pro-dickgirl, and I VOTE!

Jaded Burnout posted:

I think this has been asked before, but, pressure washers? I think there was something about electric ones being considered weak by some but petrol ones being too much?

I have a Ryobi electric and it’s totally sufficient for home use. I don’t have any other small engines, so I cannot imagine the mess of dealing with a gas engine being worth it at all.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
I've had zero problems with any of my Milwaukee tools with the exception of that cordless M12 right-angle. It can't drill through dirt.

(I suppose it's not meant for drilling through studs or joists but sometimes I need to get into a tight space where the hole-hawg can't fit).

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Also probably not meant for drilling through dirt

fralbjabar
Jan 26, 2007
I am a meat popscicle.

Jaded Burnout posted:

I don't need to cut through steel with this thing, just clean things and not be poo poo. Ease of storage, use, and transport more important than e.g. blasting through patio grime for 12 hours a day.

I've got a sun Joe electric and it's perfectly adequate for cleaning siding on the house and washing my car (with a foam sprayer). It's certainly not as potent as a gas washer, but I also don't need to strip paint or the bottoms of boats or anything. Pencil nozzle is absolutely capable of drilling holes in my lovely patio blocks too so not like it has no power.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy
You will be happy with the M18 Fuel drill. Keep in mind you can cut down on the material you have to go through (and give another path for chips to follow) by putting some smaller holes inside your final hole size. The chip clearing aspect helps when using a hole saw since those are much tougher to clear (especially when drilling vertically down), the auger should really have plenty of room but the more material you can remove prior the less work the auger has to do. Increases the chance of hanging up though and helicoptering the drill somewhat I believe.

For pressure washers, my minimal research led me to the Ryobi with the Honda motor (idle-down version) from the Homeless Despot, I've been happy with its performance and that's one machine I don't really baby (sits with stabilized fuel, long periods of inactivity, haven't done a yearly oil change because hours are low, etc, haven't properly winterized pump every year, etc). I think it's a good value unless you have some specialty application that it can't handle. I believe the thing that kills pressure washers the most often is heat in the pump, and the pump is cooled by water flow, so keep the flow going and don't leave the machine on and not spraying for very long (think like 30 seconds or a minute). The water from the pump in that situation comes out pretty drat warm, and I think it's a cumulative process above a certain temp, so just goose it every 10 or 15 seconds or so when you're moving around not spraying, and don't leave it running to take a leak or eat lunch or whatever. The Honda motor is still a first pull start even after maybe 4 years of the above half-assed maintenance, so it's not really a problem to shut it down and goose the trigger any time I have to not be spraying for more than a minute, it starts right back up again no problem. It also idles down when not under load, which is nice for noise and supposedly it helps with the pump heat/wear issue. Right now it's apparently on sale for $10 more than the Ryobi without the idle down feature, so it's a good time to buy it I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-6-5-Amp-Corded-7-in-Table-Top-Wet-Tile-Saw-R4021/301127383

Home Depot has a decent tile saw for $99. I did a backsplash and another ~300 square feet of flooring with it. Wasn't quite as nice as the one with a pump I borrowed from my coworker but it got it done.