Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Even a survivalist is going to have trouble completely on their own. One of the things about Senku's revival that he comments on is that he really couldn't make any meaningful progress on anything besides "trying not to die" until Taiju woke up, because keeping yourself fed and clothed and sheltered with no help whatsoever is ridiculously difficult even assuming you don't ever get sick or injured or run into an angry animal or something. If Senku had sprained his ankle or broke his arm or something in that 6 month period before Taiju showed up he probably would have died.

Your average joe waking up into the post-collapse world is dead meat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

i'm just saying it's all still assumption. with the confirmation of the petrification's source being technology, we're now in the realm where there may be other objects of superscience around. some fuckin' doodad might've fallen into a small town and woke the whole thing back up. i'm just saying we already have confirmation that byakuya's group wasn't the only group to survive and there's a gigantic gulf of time in which anything could've happened to create other population centers

also lol if you don't think there's an rear end in a top hat on senku's level somewhere out there

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Senku is that rear end in a top hat, but he cares more about science than personal power.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
I also think it's likely that Senku wasn't the first petrified person to wake up. I'm also curious about what the petrification light's properties are. We saw it didn't extend into orbit. Were people underwater affected? Like in submarines? What about people in mines or caves? What if someone was on top of Everest? It went through walls because people in buildings were petrified. What if someone was inside a radiation hardened area?

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Nullsmack posted:

I also think it's likely that Senku wasn't the first petrified person to wake up. I'm also curious about what the petrification light's properties are. We saw it didn't extend into orbit. Were people underwater affected? Like in submarines? What about people in mines or caves? What if someone was on top of Everest? It went through walls because people in buildings were petrified. What if someone was inside a radiation hardened area?

Since the ISS crew wasn't affected, the petrification ray needs a medium to spread.
Even in a medium, the reach can be limited, but affected humans continue to petrify if they leave it.

My guess still is it's nano machines and the ray/signal propagates through them. So as long you can create big enough of a gap between nano machines, you can protect yourself. If the gap is larger than a blast door or a submarine hull, virtually nothing is safe.

-e-
The petrification device on the island had to come from somewhere, unless the island just happened to have it on it or one of the original six had it, somebody must have brought it there.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Early new chapter

Chaos everywhere!

The unidentified longhaired person they fished out of the water is definitely Soyuz' mother.

Edit: Byakuya chapter
Kaseki's ancestor located.

Darth TNT fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Oct 31, 2019

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

RIP Magma

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Fantastic chapter, Ibara is such a great villain.

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb
gently caress

I'm all caught up and now I have to wait for the weekly releases like the rest of you chumps!

Love this manga, love the sense of humor, Love all these genius idiot children.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
Ok, not thread making GBS threads. I watched the first three of this show.

I'm really missing the appeal in a world where shows like hero, fireforce(even with the horrible fanservice), jojo etc.

The animation is bad. The character design is awful. The protag is insufferable. The scene with the lion was do loving bad looking. I'm honestly not sure how this show is made in the year of our Lord 2019.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

i don't agree with a drat thing you said but i will admit that dr. stone doesn't take off until ep 7 and that's not great

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the animation is middling, but it's not a super action-heavy series so that shouldn't hurt it too much overall. i also think anime pacing is not very kind to the series when it takes until reaching the village and meeting chrome to really pick up. other than that i didn't have any complaints about the 10 or so eps I watched but it just wasn't bringing enough over the manga to stick with.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Tabletops posted:

I'm really missing the appeal in a world where shows like hero, fireforce(even with the horrible fanservice), jojo etc.

The animation is bad. The character design is awful. The protag is insufferable. The scene with the lion was do loving bad looking. I'm honestly not sure how this show is made in the year of our Lord 2019.

It's not an action series, it's a science series. Adjust your expectations accordingly.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I didn't watch the anime but I did catch an episode on Toonami the other day to just appreciate how quickly dubs can come to TV these days and it looked fine.

And yeah, it's a Science show not an action show. Science rules. And Senku is pompous in the first couple episodes but he becomes the best character once you figure out what he's really about.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
also almost everyone in this thread is reading the manga which consistently looks really good, boichi's thirst aside

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

i didn't even notice he was in the manga thread l m a o

EDIT: did anyone even make an anime thread double lmao

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Haven't watched anime but manga is undeniably good.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

It’s 2019 and people like science again

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Billzasilver posted:

It’s 2019 and people like science again
Well, weebs do.

The world as a whole is still entirely too comfortable in the Tsukasa Kingdom.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Tabletops posted:

I think I agree it opens slow and the lion thing was hella goofy, but the "what caused the petrification" hook plus Senku being a Science Hiruma kept me invested til the plot hit its stride

I think maybe some of the episodes inside the village drag a little but overall I enjoyed it so much that I binged the manga so

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
With the latest chapter, I'm now wondering whether the Byakuya spinoff is a prequel or a "what-if". They have a robot that is also a supercomputer to reduce the margin of error for landing the Soyuz down from 10km, which they didn't have in the original flashback chapters.

The robot is a real dumb deus ex machina btw.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Vengarr posted:

With the latest chapter, I'm now wondering whether the Byakuya spinoff is a prequel or a "what-if". They have a robot that is also a supercomputer to reduce the margin of error for landing the Soyuz down from 10km, which they didn't have in the original flashback chapters.

The robot is a real dumb deus ex machina btw.

The prequel is making me very happy Boichi isn't writing the main series, at least

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Blockhouse posted:

The prequel is making me very happy Boichi isn't writing the main series, at least

It does feel like he doesn’t quite get what makes Dr. Stone fun. If it was a Dr. Stone chapter, we would be starting the “build a computer to calculate atmospheric drag” arc instead of having a robot that can magically do it.

That bit with Byakuya admitting he just wants to see his son again was pretty good though, and makes me think his strengths just lie elsewhere.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
https://jaiminisbox.com/reader/read/dr-stone/en/0/129/page/1

New one.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

gently caress yeah! Hyped!

Hyuga finally enters the scene. I was right, they would only u freeze him if cornered and no other options.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Vengarr posted:

If it was a Dr. Stone chapter, we would be starting the “build a computer to calculate atmospheric drag” arc instead of having a robot that can magically do it.

Disagree, I think it’s a great gag showing what science in 2019 is like. A whole lot of sitting around so your computer can finish compiling code or rendering a 3D model.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I honestly forgot about them. This feels reminiscent of reviving Tsukasa to fight the lions at the start of the manga

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
He doesn't have his PVC pipe to manipulate his spear :ohdear:

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Lamebot posted:

He doesn't have his PVC pipe to manipulate his spear :ohdear:

He's still a boss level monster, a very intelligent one who knows full well they would only revive him and arm him if they literally had no other choice and he would need to fight anyway. He'll backstab them later.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Dr. Stone does a great job ratcheting up the tension with this week's chapter.

Vengarr posted:

It does feel like he doesn’t quite get what makes Dr. Stone fun. If it was a Dr. Stone chapter, we would be starting the “build a computer to calculate atmospheric drag” arc instead of having a robot that can magically do it.

That bit with Byakuya admitting he just wants to see his son again was pretty good though, and makes me think his strengths just lie elsewhere.

It's still only what, 2 chapters or something? Maybe future chapters would be able to tell us something new about Byakuya and his crew. That said, I did kind of laugh at Byakuya convincing his crew to not land in the place where they could get easy access to technology they could use to study the petrification and instead going to Japan basically because Senku's there. :v:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

this was basically inevitable but drat that reveal panel was cool

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Neat timing on this chapter cause this week's episode of the anime had the flashback where Hyoga got revived the first time.

I forgot Hyoga straight up murdered the guys he brought along to attack the village.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Wait did Tsukasa even successfully kill anyone? Well, except for statues.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

RatHat posted:

I take it the Lion doesn't count.

But Tsulasa wasn't a killer, he never was.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Forgive me for getting all power levels, but how is Hyoga supposed to help here? Last I remember he only managed to overpower Kinro because he had his special spear and Kinro didn't have glasses. Mozu just took out Kinro like nothing, so isn't Mozu just gonna kick Hyoga's rear end?

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
The first time they fought, Kinro didn't have his glasses.
But the second time he HAD his glasses, a katana and was backed up by Kohaku, Ginro, Magma and the others. And they still lost. But managed to survive because Gen broke his spear.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

RatHat posted:

the statues got put back together so he didn't even kill them

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Rohan Kishibe posted:

Forgive me for getting all power levels, but how is Hyoga supposed to help here? Last I remember he only managed to overpower Kinro because he had his special spear and Kinro didn't have glasses. Mozu just took out Kinro like nothing, so isn't Mozu just gonna kick Hyoga's rear end?

The bridge fight actually showed how dangerous Hyoga was.
He had trouble with Kinro there because he noted that Kinro had taken the perfect position to defend it. Even for him it was troublesome to break it. But he also accurately noted that Kinro had trouble seeing and started striking from the literal blinds pot.

Most characters noted that only Tsukasa was stronger than Hyoga, which Hyoga himself also noted. So this should be interesting, especially as it seems like Mozu and Hyoga have very different styles.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Manatee Cannon posted:

the statues got put back together so he didn't even kill them

Yaknow, intent has to count for something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH