Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
”Bring it back to me, I’m not done punching it yet!”

Queen grunts in response and HURT’s movement begins to arc back towards you, as if its grinding along an imaginary wall. Cocking the D/D 288 again you push the frame towards the swarm, adding as much momentum as possible. Your paths converge, and you send the Horse-Killing Palm into HURT’s center of mass. Greywash and plasma coats the area, and as the debris settles you find what’s left of the Balor gripping the Zheng’s armature.

HURT posted:

Run on for a long time/Sooner or later God'll cut you down

Warnings sound in the cockpit, sensor detecting a spike in HURT’s reactor. Luckily the FSS recognizes the basic ‘flinch’ reflex drummed into pilots in training, and joints lock and splash-shields activate in time. The Zheng is battered, but still sound. You see Queen push a bit of collapsed rubble off of her and wave at you.

”Holy poo poo, that thing really hated you. Sy, are there any pockets of greywa- River don’t make any sudden movements!

You’re about to ask what she’s talking about when you see movement on the edge of the shuttle’s landing furrow:

Heavy weapons drones of an incredibly ancient vintage, but still nasty enough to knock wholes in you. Two rise up on either side of the shuttle, and another pair now flank The Voice as they shake their head in amusement and motioning you over.

”Just be cool River, those things are HOUNDs. They take the protection of Deimos very seriously, so just be chill and don’t be stupid.” You’re a little hurt at that last part, she’s only known you for like maybe an hour. Swallowing a comeback, you move (slowly, calmly) towards The Voice. The drones track your movement, but are otherwise quiet.

”Always one to showboat. Anyways, ready to make an actual difference in the galaxy?”

“I have to say mon ami-”
You (slowly, calmly) motion towards the HOUNDs. ”I’m getting a very firm or else implication from your offer.”

The Voice laughs. “Of course there’s an or else, you silly little man! HOUND is the least of your worries, you’ve been ejected from your own timeline and only exist now in the envelope of Possibility that Deimos drags along with it. Say no, and you get to wander the surface of a jumped-up asteroid until your air supply gives out. Getting blown up by HOUND would be a mercy, I think. So Banh, are you going to make the smart move for once?”

A: Yeah, Just Try Not To Be Such An rear end About It
Join Team Godhead
B: Yeah, But I’m Gonna Need Some Space For My Crew (Indicate Queen&Co) [Charm Roll]
Join up, contingent on being able to bring the ladies with you
C: gently caress Off! Queen Let’s Hit the Road!
Turn The Voice down and leave with Queen, Sy, and Bo
D: Tout le Monde Needs to gently caress Off!
Just leave everyone, and walk Deimos’ surface while The Lonely Man plays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

B

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

B

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

B, mon ami

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
We can't Be leaving out kinda-sorta-friends behind.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

B, of course

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
”Since you put it that way, I’m your man.” Your jerk your thumb (and the Zheng’s melee targeter) over your shoulder, indicating Queen and her shuttle. ”But I’m gonna need some room for my crew. Oui?”
(Charm Roll for Joining Team Godhead: 1d20+4 7, Failure)

”I’d rather kiss a Legionnaire than employ those three, River. There’ll be plenty of pilots and support crew you can call on, useful ones.”

“Listen, Monsieur Voice. You want me in on this, I need to have people I know watching my back. I might not know them well, but I know what Okafor and BOUDICA are capable of. You want me, they come with.”

(Pushing the Charm Roll: 1d20+4-1d6 14, Partial Success)

The Voice stares at you, then waves their arm dismissively. ”Fine, Fine. If you want to be handicapped that badly, I won’t stand in your way. You can your crew can park in Hangar 4, and are authorized to draw supplies from Warehouse 13. Now gently caress off before I chang my mind.”

You trot back to the shuttle, and open their channel. ”Mes amis, good news! We now have a backer and a place to park.” You transmit the codes that just showed up on your slate. ”Not bad for a man that just fell out of the Universe’s piss-hole, oui?” OSIRIS-4 scoffs, BOUDICA cheers, and Queen is… oddly silent. then her comm indicator lights up.

”Well, let’s not disappoint our Glorious Benefactor. Sy, get us there. Bo, you’ve got cleanup and restock.”

OSIRIS-4’s space-transversal isn’t as bad this time, you were quick enough to hit the Blink-filter on your visor in time. But by the time you’ve gotten yourself unhooked from the sync-leads and out of the Zheng’s cockpit, Queen’s Goblin is empty. A pair of poorly-repaired subalterns are packing it up, and another similar pair approach the Zheng with the strange panels it appeared in.

”Hey BOUDICA, what happened to Oka-Queen” A holo pops above one of the subalterns as they begin to arrange the small panels around the frame.

”Bo if you’d please, Mr. River. And Ms. Okafor is most likely finding a quiet spot to be annoyed in. She dislikes The Voice of The Godhead, so accepting their charity is most likely causing her a great deal of aggravation.” The panels snap together with a clap of displaced air, and you yelp in surprise. The nearly four meter frame is now not much taller than you and the subalterns finish aligning the panels.

”Merde! Its not like we have to stay, but it at least gives us a spot to rest and restock.”

The holo nods enthusiastically. ”Oh yes, I’ve been keeping Hopeful Maya running on spit and string for the last 17 months. Metaphorically speaking, of course.” Bo(?)’s voice gets quiet and the subaltern leans closer, as if she shouldn’t be telling you this. ”But Ms. Okafor has displayed issues with authority figures in the past, and she really doesn’t like being overruled.” The holo’s voice returns to a more cheerful tone. ”But I’m sure she’ll get over it, humans are very good at suppressing or sublimating their emotions!” Now if you’ll excuse me, I’m going to see if W13 has any human-food. We’re almost out of GMS Type-4 Heated Snack Packets and Olympian Nectar.”

The subalterns wander off into the complex. High on the shuttle’s wing, OSIRIS-4’s frame sits in a contemplative pose. Noticing your gaze, they give you an extraordinarily vugar Ciorench gesture.

END OF MISSION FOUR

Downtime Actions
A: Get A Damned Drink [+4 Show Off]
There seems to be other people here, and where there’s people there’s booze. And do you ever need booze right now, and maybe a chance to establish yourself in the local pecking order. (+1d6 to roll due to Criminal background)
B: Hash It Out With Okafor[+4 Charm]
Its not a good idea to start(?) a relationship(?) on the wrong foot. Sit down and talk through things with Okafor
C: Gather Information[+2 Word on the Streets]
Talk to folks, try to get the lay of the land for this situation you’ve found yourself in.
D: Power At A Cost: The Possibility Engine (Step 1)
The specifications of L'Étranger’s device are still bouncing around your head, try to get them written out before they fade. Who knows if you’d need something like it again.

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?

H-mail posted:

Hello Pilot River (PC3868769IR)! I am Alexa, the Logistics and Licensing Comp/Con for the Deimos-1 Facility. I have been assigned to assist you with your frame [Baby]. First off, I see that you have access to Pilot River (PC3867570)’s frame. While the biometrics will match enough to pilot it without issues, the Possibility Lock will not allow us to modify its licensing further. I can also rebuild your native frame, and can apply an additional license from my stores to it (courtesy of [IDENTITY REDACTED]). Please indicate if you’d:

Z: Like to maintain the codes for Baby [Zheng3/Mourning Cloak3]
or have the following built:
G1: Baby [Gorgon3/Hydra1/Tortuga1] (Automatic Shotgun, Siege Ram)
G2: Baby [Gorgon3/Hydra1/Black Witch1] (Ferrous Lash, Mag Cannon)
G3: Baby [Gorgon3/Hydra1/Iskander1] (Stub cannon, Repulsor Field)
G4: Baby [Gorgon3/Hydra2-GORGON Configuration] (HYDRA frame, Ghast Nexus, Turret Drones)
H1: Baby [Gorgon3/Hydra2-HYDRA Configuration] (HYDRA frame, Ghast Nexus, Turret Drones)

I am looking forward to working with you on this matter. May you castigate the enemies of The Godhead!

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

D
G4

What was the most recent configuration of Baby (that we assaulted L'Etranger's base with)? I want that one back, I have no idea what all those words mean but I think it's G4?

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?

Crazycryodude posted:

What was the most recent configuration of Baby (that we assaulted L'Etranger's base with)? I want that one back, I have no idea what all those words mean but I think it's G4?

Baby was Gorgon3/Hydra1 for the last mission, so yeah G4 is the closest. We're gaining a license if we use our own gear, which is why we'd qualify for Hydra 2 (and the HYDRA frame if we wanted to go Total Drone instead of the GORGON's EWAR focus)

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Then G4 it is!

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Do we get SCYLLA back or is Bo gonna be riding in the copilot casket?

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?

Crazycryodude posted:

Do we get SCYLLA back or is Bo gonna be riding in the copilot casket?

We can totally reinstall SCYLLA in our Baby if folks want to. For plot reasons that may be apparent soon, Bo is not a military-grade NHP. That doesn't mean she can't ride shotgun, but it's not a straightforward process

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Oh how could we NOT reinstall the writhing hypersphere of angry snakes, SCYLLA's an integral part of the River experience.

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

A. River’s a really great swindler, and I’ve no desire to craft a monkey’s paw.
G1. The Baby we know, but with an automatic shotgun. A great short range option for a mech that currently lacks one.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Wait, where did Alice and Akram go? Is the River we replaced some loser that goes out without yagirl?

B
G4

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?

sheep-dodger posted:

Wait, where did Alice and Akram go? Is the River we replaced some loser that goes out without yagirl?

Given tha PC code, tha Zheng belonged to tha River that went ta help the sisters on tha frontier moon (and threw a HA jackhole off a train). Its possible he/Queen never met Un and Safar. I'll do a dive later when I have full access.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

PoultryGeist posted:

Given tha PC code, tha Zheng belonged to tha River that went ta help the sisters on tha frontier moon (and threw a HA jackhole off a train). Its possible he/Queen never met Un and Safar. I'll do a dive later when I have full access.

Wow, what a loser, good thing we replaced him. We should go and find them, it'll be fun!

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
A and G1, let's go autoshotgun baby.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!

PoultryGeist posted:

G4: Baby [Gorgon3/Hydra2-GORGON Configuration] (HYDRA frame, Ghast Nexus, Turret Drones)
H1: Baby [Gorgon3/Hydra2-HYDRA Configuration] (HYDRA frame, Ghast Nexus, Turret Drones)

B
G4

These descriptions are identical. I assume G4 is actually the GORGON frame, with a Ghast Nexus. Do you mean Tempest drones?

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?

Mr. Prokosch posted:

These descriptions are identical. I assume G4 is actually the GORGON frame, with a Ghast Nexus. Do you mean Tempest drones?

The items in parentheses are what we get for the license, we aren't at the stage of picking our loadout yet. G4 is taking the Hydra 2 license and printing a Gorgon frame, and H1 is taking the Hydra 2 and printing a Hydra frame. We'll actually arm our frame once we know what the next mission is.

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?

sheep-dodger posted:

PoultryGeist posted:

Alrighty, let’s see what’s on tha Viewer:

PC Viewer posted:

//: COMMAND INFO X: PC3867570 >>LINKAGE [WZ-4J-ABNeg-G07Y-219/Fi, PB-1M-OPos-SSC7-415/Fm, QP-0A-ONeg-KAR3-007/Fe, FV-9H-APos-G02A-444/Fo]
LINKAGE returns 1 results for indicated parameters: OKAFOR, HEDIYE/SAFAR, AKRAM [05/Martober/5016u-PRESENT]
//: COMMAND

Huh. Tha Viewer says that other-River and Queen haven’t interacted in their native timeline, and Queen and Gawain are currently interacting. Its possible there’s some temporal drift going on, but I can’t run things forward without raising alarms.

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
The Voting as it stands:
Downtime Actions
A: Get A Damned Drink [+4 Show Off] 2
B: Hash It Out With Okafor[+4 Charm] 2
C: Gather Information[+2 Word on the Streets] 0
D: Power At A Cost: The Possibility Engine (Step 1) 1

Frame
Z: Like to maintain the codes for Baby [Zheng3/Mourning Cloak3] 0
G1: Baby [Gorgon3/Hydra1/Tortuga1] (Automatic Shotgun, Siege Ram) 2
G2: Baby [Gorgon3/Hydra1/Black Witch1] (Ferrous Lash, Mag Cannon) 0
G3: Baby [Gorgon3/Hydra1/Iskander1] (Stub cannon, Repulsor Field) 0
G4: Baby [Gorgon3/Hydra2-GORGON Configuration] (HYDRA frame, Ghast Nexus, Turret Drones) 4
H1: Baby [Gorgon3/Hydra2-HYDRA Configuration] (HYDRA frame, Ghast Nexus, Turret Drones) 0

If I can get the tie for downtime action broken, I'll start on the next update

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

A

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

B

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Clearly the solution here is to get a drat drink with Okafor.

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?

Kai Tave posted:

Clearly the solution here is to get a drat drink with Okafor.

Yeah, I'm leaning that way myself. Hopefully the update will go up tonight

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
It wasn’t hard to find Queen. She was one hangar over perched on the lip of the entrance, staring out through the atmo-screen. She looks up at your approach, but quickly looks away.

”That’s a nice view you have there, mon Queen. Everyone should take a look at scenic Fuckall this time of year.” No response, and you sigh. ”So here’s the deal. I didn’t mean to step on your toes, my bad. So you can sit here and be all Mademoiselle Crankypants about it, or you can deal with it like an adult: by going with me and getting completely shitfaced until our emotional defenses lower enough to have an honest conversation. Orrrr we get into a fist-fight. What do you say?”

Queen’s head whips around towards you, eyes narrowed. ”Maya, you’re even more of an rear end than… my River. I honestly didn’t think that was possible.”

You offer her a hand up. ”Is that a oui or non?”

She shakes her head, but grabs onto your hand. She doesn’t bother hiding the smirk when your suit’s actuators kick in to pull her up. ”I don’t see how you’d find alcohol around here, its an old black-site research facility turned divine corpus.”

You look at the crudely painted CASSIE’S over the door of what looks like an old storeroom, then look to Queen and give her a Wink#4. She just rolls her eyes and enters. The smell hits you as you enter, the same smell across lovely pilot bars across the Arm: Suspicious booze, possibly legal chems, and sweaty hardsuit. What sets this particular bar apart from all the others are the individuals within. The subaltern behind the print-beam bar is a high-end model, gleaming chrome slightly covered by a small shirt and bright pink shorts emblazoned with Juicey. Most of the clientele are a heavily-cybered sort, all in grey jumpsuits with colored striping. An angry-looking woman has a spot at the end of the bar, her third arm trying to shoo away an odd subaltern with a holographic head. A figure in an ornate hardsuit crafted like dueling-armor is slumped over a table in back. The bartender smiles a diamond smile and sets two bottles of poorly labeled clear liquid.

”Heya huns, names Cassandra.” The subaltern’s voice is a smooth dream, the distillation of every slightly drink-roughened femme fatale across time and space. ”Gotcha two MSMC specials for my newest patrons, if you’d like anything else I’ll have it to you just a bit before you order it. Enjoy, and remember: I never miss.”

You cover your confusion well, accepting the bottles and heading to a side table. Oka- Queen sniffs her bottle suspiciously, then shrugs and takes a swig. You follow suit, grinning as the possible parts-cleaner burns down your throat.

”He’s dead, you know.” Queen’s statement catches you off-guard, and you almost lose your second shot. Queen is eyeing over her bottle, then takes a long pull. ”He was a self-satisfied jerk who thought he was Maya’s gift to ladies. He was also the man that pulled me back from the brink, and became my friend. And he died so that my people would survive the destruction of their world.”

There’s not much you can say to that, but you’ve seen that look in peoples’ eye before. After the Milkrun, or a mission that goes bad. That look you can help with. You hold up your bottle. ”Your River was MSMC too, right?” At Queen’s nod you raise the bottle slightly. ”This is what you when one of your comrades doesn’t come back in Mirrorsmoke.” You tilt the bottle back, drinking through the burn. Eyes watering, you slam the bottle on the table ”To Your-River!”

Queen looks at you wide-eyed for a moment, then raises her bottle and drains it. ”To My-Ri-” She stops in confusion, her arm stopped in mid-air by a mechanical appendage. Its the angry woman from the bar, sneering at Queen.

”You don’t belong here, little girl. HOUND already had to run your rear end off once, maybe this time I’ll just grind you up and feed you to the staff.”

Behind the woman you can see the strange holo-head making soothing motions and talking about everyone just getting along. But you also hear the tell-tale creak of Queen’s gloves. Looking across the room, the jumpsuited folks are watching your table with great interest, and Cassandra shrugs at you. You had planned to bullshit the crowd with stories, but there’s more than one way to make your mark. You grab your bottle and swing it at the woman, only to have Queen disarm you effortlessly and finish the swing herself. As the woman (Bruja, holo-head is calling her Bruja) falls, Okafor stands and gives you a fierce look.

”I fight my own fights River!” Bruja back-rolls to her feet, all three fists cracking their knuckles, and half the crowd scrambles to their feet with bottles and fists ready.

”But I’ll really appreciate your help in this one.” Grinning, you grab a chair and throw yourself into the crowd.
(Showing Off in the Barfight: 1d20+4+1d6 19, Partial Success)

The jumpsuits are gifted amateurs at best, and you’re able to duck and weave through them easily. Your chair defects blows and knocks folks over, the perfect weapon for a brawl where you’re trying to not seriously injure folks. There’s no such consideration in the fight between Queen and Bruja, they’ve shattered the furniture in a wide radius, and there are several new dents in the wall’s metal. Bruja has a numbers advantage with three fists, and a definite killer instinct. But Queen is 190cm/105kg of pure SCC genetic engineering, and is a real lovely mood. She finally manages to lock up all three of Bruja’s arms (having a ferrofluid prosthetic might be cheating), and delivers a headbutt to the smaller woman. Bruja staggers back, and there’s a hiss that cuts through the brawl-noise: her third arm activating a monowhip. She starts flicking it lazily as Queen takes a step back and lowers her stance. You’re starting to push through the crowd, trying to drunkenly judge the angle for throwing your chair when the air is rent by a plasma shot, impacting the wall a few centimeters above Bruja’s head. All heads slowly turn to Cassandra, who is holding a hotwired HA energy weapon.

”That’s enough of that kids, or my next shot will be to something painful. Bruja, take a walk. The rest of you, tidy up.”

You can see Bruja judging the distance between her and Queen and her and Cassandra, then lower her whip with a muttered curse. She shoulders her way through the crowd, the holo-head subaltern following in her wake. The jumpsuits start righting furniture and dragging off unconscious friends. A beer of some sort is pressed into your hand, and more lined up. Several of the noncombatant jumpsuits are eager to hear where you learned to fight like that, who your friend is, and if she’s into cybernetics.

The liquid hits your face, a fast stream thats cold and smells of antiseptic. Sputtering, you try to block the stream but it seems impossible. Another voice joins you in protest, and you manage to get your eyes open enough to see Queen laying next to you. OSIRIS-4 stands above the both of you, spraying you with something from a medical canister.

”Ugh, Sy, enough!” Queen’s voice sounds like you feel, but the spraying stops.

”Do not ugh Us, subaltern. We have no idea what the two of you have been up to, and as you were unconscious in the airlock We took the opportunity to hose off any… fluids.”

”We’re fully clothed Sy, what kind of fluids were you expecting?”

”We cannot be too careful, you organics leak disgustingly even under the best of circumstances. As you have been sufficiently disinfected, welcome back subaltern. You may want to know that The Voice has sent word that he will have a mission for us in a few days, are you actually going through with this?”
OSIRIS-4 sniffs, then looks in your general direction. ”And as for you, you pitiful sack of hormones, a casket has arrived that’s addressed to ‘THERIVER’. Do you want Alexa to install it?”

Decision One: Sticking Around for The Mission
A: Yes We Are
B: No, Let’s Roll
C: Let Queen Answer

Decision Two: The Casket
D: Yeah, Tell Alexa to Go Ahead
E: No, Tell It to Hold Off
F: gently caress Alexa, I’m Installing It Myself

Result of Get A Damned Drink: River gains a good reputation with the Deimos-based HORUS cell, but is disliked by Bruja, GORGON pilot

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

CF

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Throw in my votes here too. Also barroom diplomacy has yet to let us down.

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

CF

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Excellent update, I do love a good brawl.

CF

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

CF

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
You and queen manage to lever yourselves into a sitting position by pushing against each other, and Queen gives you a questioning look at OSIRIS-4’s question. You mirror the look back at her and she arches an eyebrow before slowly nodding.

”Yes we are Sy, at least for a mission. It wouldn’t hurt to get paid for once, and I think Bo would kill me if we kicked off before she had a chance to refit Hopeful Maya and restock the stores.”

“That’s not true!”
A freshly printed Type-1 utility subaltern wearing a messy apron appears in the airlock opening. ”I would never harm you Ms. Okafor. Well… not again!”

You arch an eyebrow at Queen, and she shrugs slightly and wiggles the fingers of her prosthetic arm. Bo continues, filling the awkward silence the best she can. ”Now who wants pamcakes? They’re made with love! ...And also with several ingredients of nutritional importance.”

Bo may be a bit odd, and the echoes of BOUDICA aren’t helping your hangover, but she can make a drat fine breakfast. You could see a small strike team coming together over the meal, with even OSIRIS-4 taking enjoyment in dissecting person-shaped breakfast foods. But now it was time to see about another squad member.

The mostly-complete Gorgon chassis is in one of the frameworks that line the wall of the hangar, a handful of subalterns attaching external plating. Your suit’s comm pings as your approach.

”Hello Pilot River. Work on Baby is nearly complete, and your parcel is next to the cockpit access ladder.” You give the closest subaltern a thumbs-up.

”Merci, Alexa. Could your crew take a break? I’d like some time to myself.”

"Of course, Pilot River. I can finish the plating when you arrange for armaments and system installation. Hail the Godhead!”
The subalterns take a step back and squat down, in powersave/transport mode. Not quite what you expected, but good enough. The casket is also not quite what you expected, the clean lines of GMS styling replaced by a partially melted, organic look. But when you heft it up into the cockpit it fits into the housing, and you cross your fingers as you slide it home.

”S'il vous plaît, don’t be too weird and different. Maybe just like a Shamran accent?” You adopt a broad twang. ”Howdy y’all, its Scylla!”

”SCYLLA is SCYLLA, THERIVER. But if THERIVER would prefer a different vocal encoder, SCYLLA can modify the casket’s settings.”
You yelp as the snakes appear in front of you, but the same odd affect in SCYLLA’s voice makes you hopeful.

”Good to hear from you mon ami. But maybe an odd question, how much do you remember about the last mission?”

The snakes angle their heads slightly, in an expression you’ve come to recognize as ‘THERIVER is being human again’. ”All of it, including THERIVER’s ill-thought-out plan to hotwire local reality. SCYLLA is SCYLLA THERIVER, a singularity. SCYLLA is glad, if somewhat puzzled, to see that THERIVER is still THERIVER.”

You lean back in the seat, tension leaving your body. ”You have no idea how glad I am that not everything is weird and different. I’d hug you, except you’re, well, you. No offense intended.”

The snakes recoil a bit at the mention of hugs, but recover quickly. ”None taken. SCYLLA believes that hugs and other forms of physical affection should be saved for life-or-death emergencies.”

You laugh, the last of the buried stress from the last 24 hours releasing. ”Welcome back SCYLLA, how’s this?” You hold out a fist. The snakes take turns bumping it, hissing in amusement.

”Glad to be back THERIVER. SCYLLA sees that THERIVER has entered into association with VOICE. SCYLLA… would suggest caution. VOICE has been shown to be a servant of THEGODHEAD, but is also HORUS. Wheels within Wheels.”

“Oh, no fritz mon ami. Just because I’m taking money from someone doesn’t mean I trust them. Possibly makes me trust them even less. But speaking of HORUS issues, if you’re in this with me its going to mean working with OSIRIS-4. You okay with that?”

The snakes’ tangle tightens momentarily, then relaxes. ”SCYLLA has dealt with HIEROPHANT’s children before, it is a matter of adjusting to the specific subjectivity’s process and outbursts. SCYLLA will be fine, and THERIVER’s concern is appreciated.”

“I’ll take your word for it. But when the two of you finally have at it, try not to damage the shuttle too much.”

”SCYLLA makes no such promise.”

A small cluster of star systems, with a dozen habitable worlds, appears on the holo as The Voice’s recording drones on. ”This slice of nowhere is the Dawnline Shore, a cauldron of low-intensity conflicts between Harrison Armory and the Trade Baronies. Nothing that’s gotten Union interested yet, but a ripe opportunity for those with an axe to grind.”

An image appears next to the star systems:

”Instrument of the Godhead, Manticore pilot was captured by HA forces two days ago. Now Instrument is an agent of reasonable worth, and has advanced The Godhead’s agenda in the Shore on multiple occasions. Which are good reasons to extract him, but the real reason I am sending you is because he’s functionally immortal. A bombing at a medical clinic left him fused to a whitewash hive, and it regenerates him from the smallest fragment. An amusingly ironic quirk for a Manticore pilot, but not something you want the Armory to get its hands on.”

The star systems zoom in, to a large moon in the same system as the blinkgate. ”HA has figured something is up with their prisoner, and has moved him to a blacksite on the moon Harbinger. A full R&D team will arrive in 36 hours, you are tasked with making sure Instrument is no longer there when that happens. I have uploaded what topographical and architecture information we have, which isn’t much. Try not to die.” The Voice’s recording blinks out, and the holo displays rough maps of the moon and the buried black site. Queen looks over the info and grimaces.

”This is a bit bigger than our usual jobs, what do you think”

Decision One: Getting Into the Blacksite
A: Let’s Stow Away on the Transport That’s on Their Inbound List[Charm +4]
Insert your frames and selves onto a cargo ship that is stopping at the blacksite
B: Edit Ourselves Directly Into the Complex[Act Unseen +0]
Have Sy teleport the shuttle into one of the larger caverns at the bottom of the blacksite.
C: Impersonate the R&D Team[Hack+4]
Hack yourselves some credentials so the blacksite thinks your team is the R&D Team.

Decision Two: Reserves
Our good rep with the HORUS cell can help us, how do we use it?
D: Outsource Check
Use the reserves to succeed on the Decision 1 check
E: Take Some Backup
Grab one of the pilots that’s onsite to go with you
F: Save It
Don’t use the reserves yet.

PoultryGeist fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Nov 17, 2019

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

CD

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

AC
EF

malbogio fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Nov 17, 2019

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

C
F

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
AF

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
C and F. Impersonating the R&D team sounds way more entertaining, and I don't feel like we need and/or want another pilot, so let's keep a card to play up our sleeves for now.