Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Years ago I got a 3/4 length corduroy coat that fitted beautifully and looked great on me. Unfortunately I then gained weight and the coat stopped looking so good :( A couple of years ago I lost a load of weight again, and managed to shrink right past my lovely coat so I still didn't get to wear it.
Yesterday I found an almost exact duplicate of the coat - same brand and stying, slightly different colour and in my current size, in a thrift store for 10 euro, plus it had just been dry-cleaned!

I am ridiculously happy about this danged coat :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I saw Midsommar

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

oldpainless posted:

I saw Midsommar

More like oldattestupainless

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

My dad was diagnosed with prostate cancer a few years back. It's apparently a slow-growing type, the kind that won't become fatal until ten years after he's probably already died from something else. It's more or less under control. He mentioned it to his cousin earlier this year, and his cousin encouraged him to get in touch with the VA, that it might have something to do with his stint in Vietnam and the Agent Orange he encountered while there. So this summer he did all the paperwork and got into their system to possibly be considered for, I guess, reparations of a sort. He saw a VA doctor last month and has been waiting to hear back.

Today he found out the government will compensate him at 100 percent disability. They sent him a check for a significant amount of money, thousands of dollars, more than three times his monthly government pension. That was backpay dating to when he first filed the paperwork this June; he'll continue getting a check for about 75 percent of his pension every month. My parents were stunned. They haven't been struggling financially, exactly, but they've been putting off small household projects that are decades overdue and worrying about some potential new medical expenses on the horizon. This is such a huge weight off their shoulders, and I'm so happy for them. (And I'm glad my dad is doing okay.)

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
I finished my first year as a trainer for the new interns at our firm, which was exhausting and mentally taxing but worth it. At the end of one of the sessions after the interns left on a ten minute break I ended up talking with my coworker who was assisting me and ended up opening up about my depression. It’s something I often struggle with talking about, not because I’m ashamed but because I’m afraid if I let people in that much they’ll either hurt me or get hurt as well. Being able to find someone that I was able to trust that much was a major accomplishment for me, and I know it’s a step toward getting help if it ever got to the point where I truly needed it.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
After weeks of waiting for an interview with an NHS position in sheffield, I applied for and got an interview slot for a much closer one in the town I actually live in for better money. The interview's tomorrow, hopefully it goes well. Otherwise it's back to 11 hour days putting cheese in boxes.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Wow, not only do I have today's interview, I just got called for one tomorrow as well. Things are really coming together!

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I found a story I've been looking for for like half a year, one ostensibly written somewhere on SA about a guy discovering a tribe of intelligent mice in his basement and becoming friends with them.

Phy posted:

loving I FOUND THE MOUSE FRIENDS POST

Someone reposted it on the Democratic Underground forums and specifically called it out as being from SA

If you want to read it without leaving the loving embrace of father lowtax click on my name in the quote cause I requoted the story in my original post

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Hirayuki posted:

My dad was diagnosed with prostate cancer a few years back. It's apparently a slow-growing type, the kind that won't become fatal until ten years after he's probably already died from something else. It's more or less under control. He mentioned it to his cousin earlier this year, and his cousin encouraged him to get in touch with the VA, that it might have something to do with his stint in Vietnam and the Agent Orange he encountered while there. So this summer he did all the paperwork and got into their system to possibly be considered for, I guess, reparations of a sort. He saw a VA doctor last month and has been waiting to hear back.

Today he found out the government will compensate him at 100 percent disability. They sent him a check for a significant amount of money, thousands of dollars, more than three times his monthly government pension. That was backpay dating to when he first filed the paperwork this June; he'll continue getting a check for about 75 percent of his pension every month. My parents were stunned. They haven't been struggling financially, exactly, but they've been putting off small household projects that are decades overdue and worrying about some potential new medical expenses on the horizon. This is such a huge weight off their shoulders, and I'm so happy for them. (And I'm glad my dad is doing okay.)

That's marvellous - a real case of something good coming from something bad. Hope your dad's health stays good :)

My latest awesomeness: I found a perfect christmas present for my mother, who is a fairly new vegan who has a lingering love for leather handbags. Yesterday I found a beautiful, high-quality portuguese leather bag in a thrift store so she gets to have the bag but not the guilt of buying it new!

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Pookah posted:

That's marvellous - a real case of something good coming from something bad. Hope your dad's health stays good :)

My latest awesomeness: I found a perfect christmas present for my mother, who is a fairly new vegan who has a lingering love for leather handbags. Yesterday I found a beautiful, high-quality portuguese leather bag in a thrift store so she gets to have the bag but not the guilt of buying it new!

So she's Vegan Buffalo Bill. "I won't eat you... but I love your SKIN!"

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

BioEnchanted posted:

Pretty much.
We do not question the ethical inconsistencies, doing so causes much irritation.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
my mom is finally free of the nasty little potentially-cancerous growth on her jawbone. after two hours of surgery and some kinda lovely doctors(dismissive, callous) and one handsome and super accommodating and helpful doctor operated on her, they removed two teeth, a whole lot of gum tissue, and shaved a little bit of jawbone off. they also hit a particularly gushy vein and she apparently lost a pint of blood before they got it under control. but it's done, she's okay(relatively), they signed off on the paperwork I asked for, we're finally home after obscene amounts of traffic, it's all good. tired, but good.

now to prepare for the refinancing appraiser who is showing up on monday. I don't know the normal procedure for that poo poo, I guess they have to come in and take photos of everything in the house or something, but I feel like there's never enough I can do to make things look good enough for appraisal. oh well.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

My lens fell off my camera and into a river last week and after a week of combat with it, tearing down the entire shutter mechanism, cleaning and rebuilding, I have it back to working condition!

https://i.imgur.com/Gy68M1Q.gifv

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
how much does that sucker go for new, guessing it's worth repairing rather than ponying up hundreds/thousands to get a new one

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

BioEnchanted posted:

"Say, are you about a size 14?" :unsmigghh:

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

how much does that sucker go for new, guessing it's worth repairing rather than ponying up hundreds/thousands to get a new one

Copal don't exist as a company any more, so if I was going to replace it it'd be $300 for a new lens and shutter. Really hard to find shutter only sales.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I found out my friend has been saying “going to hell in a ham basket” his entire life.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Made some awesome chicken and gnocchi soup with home-made gnocchi and tossed in some spicy sausage for zest.

Then I air-fried the extra gnocchi and made pretzel bites. A good lunch for a rainy day.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

Rolo posted:

I found out my friend has been saying “going to hell in a ham basket” his entire life.

Please don't correct him

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Werong Bustope posted:

Please don't correct him

The jig was up immediately, he said it in front of like five people.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
I found out today that someone's friend has been running around saying "going to hell in a ham basket."

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

I found out today that someone's friend has been running around saying "going to hell in a ham basket."

oh my god I hope you get the chance to ask - kindly - "what's a ham basket?"

there's no way a grown adult has internalized such an idiom without having SOME idea as to what it is

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Pastry of the Year posted:

oh my god I hope you get the chance to ask - kindly - "what's a ham basket?"

there's no way a grown adult has internalized such an idiom without having SOME idea as to what it is

Tell that to anyone who says "I could care less" or "For all intensive purposes"

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Got offered a better position where I work. It’s a little bit more money but most importantly I’m back on days. Working nights for three years has really strained my marriage as well as my relationships with my girlfriends.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
I found an old story I had written maybe fifteen years ago and decided to rework it into something new. I’m now closing in on 10,000 words and feel far better about the content than I did when I first put it together back in college.

It makes me feel really, really good to enjoy something I’m creating this much.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
A tabletop game that I started developing in 2014 is going to be out the door soon. A good chunk of that time was life getting in the way, but still

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time

Megabound posted:

Tell that to anyone who says "I could care less" or "For all intensive purposes"

Up until a few years ago, I thought it was "making end's meat."

At least it sounds the same. And I still say it makes just as much sense.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

Cat rear end Trophy posted:

Up until a few years ago, I thought it was "making end's meat."

At least it sounds the same. And I still say it makes just as much sense.

Me and my sister both thought the phrase was "a goose walking over your grave" and this made perfect sense to us.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Sentient Data posted:

A tabletop game that I started developing in 2014 is going to be out the door soon. A good chunk of that time was life getting in the way, but still

Can I get a link when it's released? I wanna have a SA based game night with a couple of friends, but the only one I have is Sword of the Bastard Elf.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Werong Bustope posted:

Me and my sister both thought the phrase was "a goose walking over your grave" and this made perfect sense to us.

That... is the phrase. :confused:

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Werong Bustope posted:

Shouldn't it?

https://www.waywordradio.org/goose-walking-over-a-grave/

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

WHAT

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

This is huge; we've both been roundly ridiculed because the phrase is supposedly "a ghost walking over your grave." I feel so vindicated right now.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Ghosts don't walk

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I've always heard "someone walked over my grave." No ghosts or goose or ghost geese.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Solice Kirsk posted:

I've always heard "someone walked over my grave." No ghosts or goose or ghost geese.

Ditto but it would make sense if the someone was a goose

There was an entire video game this year about their malice

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Werong Bustope posted:

This is huge; we've both been roundly ridiculed because the phrase is supposedly "a ghost walking over your grave." I feel so vindicated right now.
The default expression is just "someone"; "a/the goose" (or "a rabbit," apparently) is a variation in the States.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Realized I was slipping into some bad old eating habits I've been trying to discard. Stepped on the scale to face the truth and it turns out I lost five pounds. Looks like making it a point to exercise on the regular whether I want to or not has been doing me some good.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Just finished paying off the car loan and credit cards! :hellyeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

It's early, but my day is already made awesome.

I'm early in the process of knitting a blanket for one of my brothers (with another planned for the other one). Sat down to pick it up this morning, and looked at it going "Something isn't right here." I thought I was going to have to start the whole thing over, but I was able to find where I'd made the mistake, and rip out to just past it, and pick up from there. Still a set back, but far, far less of on than starting over entirely would have been.