Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Mesimean posted:

My only other experience with a puppy and new collar was my previous dog and he just dragged his neck around the ground for a few hours before he was relatively alright with it.

Can't offer any insight, I've never heard of such a problem, but this mental image is absolutely hilarious to me. I just picture a dog doing like a reverse butt-drag with their head all over the house.

Unrelated - I've always loved the idea of multiple dogs, and have been interested in getting a second one recently. When I adopted my dog I had 2 roommates who were home throughout various hours of the day, so she was never home alone for extended periods of time. Since then I've gotten my own place and now she's alone all day while I'm at work. I do daycare when I can, but $30/day adds up real quick. I think she'd benefit greatly from having a companion around the house.

I've been thinking about adopting a more senior dog, partly as a "trial run" both to see how I handle having 2 dogs, and to see how my 6 year old hound handles company. I've brought her to my parents and she gets along well with my parents' dog, and they've brought theirs to my place and again they get on well (my dog is totally cool with it; their dog tolerates mine).

But my real hang up is simply that I feel really guilty about the idea of adopting a more senior dog with the attitude of, "I'm not comfortable paying for any potential $1000+ surgery or expensive 'permanent' medications should such things arise". I'm not made of money and I don't want to spend a ton of cash on a dog at the tail end of their life. So like on one hand, I get that everything dies eventually but also I feel like I'm "condemning" a dog if I get one and it makes me feel lovely and like I shouldn't adopt one :( Anyone have any input?

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Nov 6, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Sab669 posted:

I've been thinking about adopting a more senior dog, partly as a "trial run" both to see how I handle having 2 dogs, and to see how my 6 year old hound handles company. I've brought her to my parents and she gets along well with my parents' dog, and they've brought theirs to my place and again they get on well (my dog is totally cool with it; their dog tolerates mine).

But my real hang up is simply that I feel really guilty about the idea of adopting a more senior dog with the attitude of, "I'm not comfortable paying for any potential $1000+ surgery or expensive 'permanent' medications should such things arise". I'm not made of money and I don't want to spend a ton of cash on a dog at the tail end of their life. So like on one hand, I get that everything dies eventually but also I feel like I'm "condemning" a dog if I get one and it makes me feel lovely and like I shouldn't adopt one :( Anyone have any input?

Adopt from a kill shelter. Any extra time an older dog gets is time they likely wouldn't otherwise have.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I'm not sure if those are even legal in my state (NY); or at least I don't know of any. But that's a nice idea -- I'll look into it, thanks.

The local SPCA has an 8 year old Great Dane who just looks adorable, I've always loved huge dogs - but yea I'm just having a hard time with this hangup :/

e; Googling for such seems to only yield "no kill" shelters lol

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Nov 6, 2019

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!
If you're in NY a lot of places import dogs from kill shelters in the south. You don't have to spend all the money on a senior animal. If you're committed to seeing out their natural lifespan and euthanizing them when they don't have a good quality of life that's a good outcome; arguably better than sitting in a shelter with more veterinary care.

It also frees up a space for another dog that might have been euthanized.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yeaa I've been trying to justify it in my head as "Well, you're just giving them a loving home to finish out their life in rather than sitting in the shelter" but I'm still having a hard time getting over it.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Sab669 posted:

Yeaa I've been trying to justify it in my head as "Well, you're just giving them a loving home to finish out their life in rather than sitting in the shelter" but I'm still having a hard time getting over it.

Maybe fostering a senior dog would be a good approach for you, then?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Hmmm, I'll have to look into that. Haven't even thought of it.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Mesimean posted:

However, I have put her collar on and she has just shut down. She will try to curl up next to me and lick at me. She won't play. She won't move from room to room or go out to the toilet when it's on. She will happily gobble down treats with it though, and chase treats around the room.

Here's a collar game from a puppy class I took. If you want the videos you'll have to catch the class in February, it's a good one.

collar game posted:

This is a wonderful game for puppies who do not already have an aversion to their collars. We will begin with getting as many reps as possible of that initial feeling of the collar going over the face. I'm not even going over the ears at first, but only over the muzzle and eyes.

We begin with this as a game of touching the face with the loop, whatever our loop is. It does not need to be a real collar! In the video I will be using a K9 Julius harness, which I have no intention of putting on the puppy. We are just making sure that she enjoys the approach of the loop over her face and her eyes. The puppy's practice loop is not associated with restraint here, and the puppy may walk away from this game at any time. That would be important information, since there are continuous cookies available by staying put and playing the rude loop touching your face game.

I don't want a snug fit over her face. This is very important. Don't pinch your puppy's ears! Use a big, loose collar which is much too big for your puppy. Or think of another loop which would be soft and gentle. You can even make a loop out of a fleece bathrobe belt. You get the idea. There is no need for a regular collar at this early step. Step 1 often does not look at all like the finished product. This is all about the puppy's good feelings about having something in your hands go over his face.

Step 1: Many quick reps of big loose soft loop over muzzle and eyes.

Step 2: Collar over ears, on and off, with continuous cookies at dog's mouth. Repeat.

Step 3: Collar on, then cookie. Collar off, then cookie. Repeat.

You get to a point where the puppy is actively putting the collar on herself and loves it.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
why does my dog have an obsession with tennis balls that borders on mentally unhealthy?

she punctured the drat thing (and we didnt want her to eat the squeeker inside) so we threw the ball away 20 hours ago and she's STILL OBSESSED about it.

still wandering the house, scratching at doors so she can go root to find it, even though she saw us throw it in the curbside bin.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

BraveUlysses posted:

why does my dog have an obsession with tennis balls that borders on mentally unhealthy?

she punctured the drat thing (and we didnt want her to eat the squeeker inside) so we threw the ball away 20 hours ago and she's STILL OBSESSED about it.

still wandering the house, scratching at doors so she can go root to find it, even though she saw us throw it in the curbside bin.

Does it need to squeak? I can’t find a link to it but we have a ball with a rattler inside that we’ve had for three years and my amazingly destructive dogs haven’t been able to destroy yet.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
she likes squeaky stuff yes but i think this fondness is about it being a tennis ball. even the "tough" tennis balls fail quickly to her teeth so they get tossed quick.

and we have a bunch of rubber balls/bones ect that squeek and are much more resistant to damage and while she likes them a lot, she cant get over this toy being gone for 20+ hours.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Yeah that’s a little bit weird. 20+ hours is long time for a dog to worry about a toy but maybe another day or two she’ll finally forget about it. Try to keep her occupied with other activities.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Engineer Lenk posted:

Maybe fostering a senior dog would be a good approach for you, then?

Sab669 posted:

Hmmm, I'll have to look into that. Haven't even thought of it.

I am just coming out of my first fostering experience. I recommend it if you can find a rescue you trust. In my case, my family is not sure if we want a second dog or not. So we became a foster family for a rescue that one of our good friends is involved in. She fostered for them and has ended up adopting 2 dogs from this rescue over the past 5 years.

The fostering process so far has been challenging, rewarding and frustrating. There are a lot of false starts with potential adopters, and there are a lot of awkward e-mail conversations. It has been really sweet watching the foster pooch go from scared little insecure ball of fur to queen of the yard. It has been frustrating (and understandable) to deal with behavior issues such as counter surfing. It also feels really good to know we are providing a dog with a warm cozy place with a routine instead of a shelter that has limited resources. I am not convinced we want 2 dogs, but I do think we will foster again.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ha I had a weekend with so many options of things to do, and excitement to do some... then emergency hound spring from the shelter. So I get to hang at home with a sweet boy (and my best girl when she comes home from vet tomorrow).

Currently known as Droopy (previously Tails, as was in shelter, then adopted, then returned a day later and for some reason they used the name the dummy who didn’t want him picked? Who knows), he’s probably about 1yo and very sweet.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

How do I reward my dog for ignoring me?

For context, Lady likes to bother us while we're eating (mostly just for attention, really; she gets vocal if the pets stop, but not if we withhold food). But she was surprisingly pleasant tonight; she went and got a bone and occupied herself while we were eating. But how do I express that we liked this behavior? My initial reaction is to click & treat while she's not paying attention to us but I feel like anything we do will draw attention back to us, which is exactly what we don't want to happen.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

Ha I had a weekend with so many options of things to do, and excitement to do some... then emergency hound spring from the shelter. So I get to hang at home with a sweet boy (and my best girl when she comes home from vet tomorrow).

Currently known as Droopy (previously Tails, as was in shelter, then adopted, then returned a day later and for some reason they used the name the dummy who didn’t want him picked? Who knows), he’s probably about 1yo and very sweet.

:3 gonna Foster fail?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

If I didn’t have a dog, it would be a possibility as he’s a very sweet thing, and he’ll fill out and be a handsome boy for sure. But my Emmy Lou is 12 now, lives at a way slower pace than this guy, and definitely likes being the only dog of the house. So I just help out when I can to get dogs out of bad situations, while the rescue finds them a perfect forever home.

Hope this guy stays locally, the rescue is based more north in the state so I don’t really get to see the ones that pass through that often. Lots of hound people in South Florida who would love this guy I’m sure.

CeramicPig
Oct 9, 2012
Do vets have to tell you if they tattooed your dog when being neutered/chipped?
I’m not at home so I can’t check if they did or not, just so I know when I get off of work and go check him

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

CeramicPig posted:

Do vets have to tell you if they tattooed your dog when being neutered/chipped?
I’m not at home so I can’t check if they did or not, just so I know when I get off of work and go check him

They should tell you, but they don’t always tattoo males since it’s physically obvious that they’ve been neutered.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
So what’s the deal with dog grooming? Dexter has a bit of a shaggy coat and I’ve never really had to get a dog groomed before. We’ve already got the recommendation of someone who does house visits and specializes in Yorkies, just not sure if it’s really necessary?

He doesn’t get dingleberries or anything, no knotted fur, the only thing I can think of is he gets some long furs on his nose and it covers his eyes sometimes.

Photo of the dude for completeness.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
One of my dogs was recently diagnosed with heart and kidney disease, and my other dog had her second ever seizure this morning :\

Everybody give your pup a hug while you can.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Protocol7 posted:

So what’s the deal with dog grooming? Dexter has a bit of a shaggy coat and I’ve never really had to get a dog groomed before. We’ve already got the recommendation of someone who does house visits and specializes in Yorkies, just not sure if it’s really necessary?

He doesn’t get dingleberries or anything, no knotted fur, the only thing I can think of is he gets some long furs on his nose and it covers his eyes sometimes.

Photo of the dude for completeness.

Yorkies will grow their hair (no dander so technically not fur but who cares) long and need it to be groomed. The show dog cut is like a weird long mop but I hate it so I get my dog the "puppy cut" (as the groomer called it) every 2-3 months. The groomer suggests every 2 months but sometimes I let it go longer if it's cold out and sometimes she's booked for 3-5 weeks. You can trim their eyebrow and nose fur if it interferes with them seeing a bit between grooming but obviously be careful around their eyes with scissors, etc.

AKC wikipedia picture of show length:

puppy cut look:

My goofball dog sort of in between sitting on a piece of paper:

CeramicPig
Oct 9, 2012
Is it weird to be jealous of a dogs hair? I wish mine was that shiny and silky

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Time for my court mandated fuckface update. Still dumb, still furry, still an absolute fucker. He’s chilled out now so shooting him into the sun may be more trouble than it’s worth.

Gringo Heisenberg
May 30, 2009

:dukedog:
Is buying meds online for dogs a thing people do? My dog just got prescribed Vetoryl (Trilostane) for Cushing's Disease. It's about $150 a month from the vet (20mg a day) vs ~$100 online from VetRXDirect. Any of these sites legit/recommended?

Gringo Heisenberg fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Nov 15, 2019

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

I don't see why not.

My vet didn't normally stock something so they sent the prescription to an online pharmacy and sent me the link to have it delivered. It was a really cheap one-time thing and I don't remember what site though.

Maybe tell your vet you want to get it delivered and ask if they use any particular pharmacy?

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

I get my dog's meds from chewy. Theyre legit. The price is normally better and you can make any order an autoship for 10% off or whatever and then delete the autoship after the payment goes through

Gringo Heisenberg
May 30, 2009

:dukedog:
Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately Chewy is out as I'm in Canada, but I'll keep looking for sites then!

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
My partner is very likely to be getting a dog next year and she’s asked for a book about dog training in preparation for Christmas. Are there any good recommendations?

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Red_Fred posted:

My partner is very likely to be getting a dog next year and she’s asked for a book about dog training in preparation for Christmas. Are there any good recommendations?
Some of my faves:
Power of Positive Dog Training by Pat Miller
Train Your Dog Like a Pro by Jean Donaldson
Don't Shoot the Dog by Karen Pryor
The Other End of the Leash by Patricia McConnell (or her Puppy Primer if you're thinking of a puppy)
Control Unleashed by Leslie McDevitt
Beyond the Backyard by Denise Fenzi
How to Behave so Your Dog Behaves by Sophia Yin

Really any book by any of those authors should steer you in the right direction.

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits

Instant Jellyfish posted:

Don't Shoot the Dog by Karen Pryor

Seconding this. As a bonus you can use the methodology to train any living thing, including friends/family/partners.

global tetrahedron
Jun 24, 2009

First dog, got some vaccinations yesterday and this morning he was whimpering, moving a bit slow, and more lethargic than usual. Soreness and lethargy are sort of normal after shots right? Just sucks and a little anxiety inducing for me. Wondering what I can do to make him more comfortable. Got him wrapped in a warm blanket so he can nap on the couch. I guess this is more nerve wracking for me. Hopefully he'll perk up later today...

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

global tetrahedron posted:

First dog, got some vaccinations yesterday and this morning he was whimpering, moving a bit slow, and more lethargic than usual. Soreness and lethargy are sort of normal after shots right? Just sucks and a little anxiety inducing for me. Wondering what I can do to make him more comfortable. Got him wrapped in a warm blanket so he can nap on the couch. I guess this is more nerve wracking for me. Hopefully he'll perk up later today...

Call the vet just in case. Some lethargy can be normal but the whimpering would have me concerned. Which vaccinations did he have?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Dogs can have some scary reactions to things, but it's most likely fine. The anti flea stuff the vet gave my dog produced bloody diarrhea and vomit for a day or two, which is not what you want to see (and annoyingly was a bit blase about the whole thing when we brought her back in. I use the collars now.)

global tetrahedron
Jun 24, 2009

He already seems to have perked up. But got a rabies shot and a distemper shot. The whimpering seemed localized when I petted particular areas, I'm assuming the injection site.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
well my puppy is doing better at not nipping but we're not quite there yet

also still good at swallowing my 4yo's socks whole and vomiting them back up later

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

global tetrahedron posted:

He already seems to have perked up. But got a rabies shot and a distemper shot. The whimpering seemed localized when I petted particular areas, I'm assuming the injection site.

Good to hear he’s perked up. The rabies shot can cause some discomfort and lethargy in my experience as well. Definitely call the vet if he gets any worse, but it sounds like he’s on the mend.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Well Thor has officially been diagnosed with Cushings and been put on meds. Hopefully his liver shrinks and he is a little cheeky fucker for many more years to come.

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.
Our bernedoodle puppy has hit the terrible twos stage and today he went and munched on some roadkill while out walking with my girlfriend. She’s worried sick that he’s going to acquire something since it was part of a dead rat, should we call or see a vet ASAP?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Butt Reactor posted:

Our bernedoodle puppy has hit the terrible twos stage and today he went and munched on some roadkill while out walking with my girlfriend. She’s worried sick that he’s going to acquire something since it was part of a dead rat, should we call or see a vet ASAP?

I believe you can call a vet and talk to them without having to pay for it, so give that a shot and see if they want you to come in.

I wouldn't be too worried, assuming this dog has all his shots and such.